Understanding India ~ Q & A Thread

Otm Shank2

you * mentioned the hindi superiority culture in relation to hindu culture in a post I liked under my old account.is veggieism not part of it?

* cirrection* sorry

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
you * mentioned the hindi superiority culture in relation to hindu culture in a post I liked under my old account.is veggieism not part of it?

* cirrection* sorry
Can't recollect sorry.

Otm Shank2

You said some chauvinistic hindi northern pandits wouldnt even allow some southerners to touch their feet.

can you merge accounts btw?

Otm Shank2

Is recreational drug use big in india by non tourists? marijauna, hash, e etc?

what is charas?

Otm Shank2

What indian Brands are most popular in india.Do you have a "renowned" kulfi or biscuits maker like we have breyers orpepridge farms? lol

DingDong

Country flag
What indian Brands are most popular in india.Do you have a "renowned" kulfi or biscuits maker like we have breyers orpepridge farms? lol
Kulfi: Amul, Kwality Wall's
Biscuits: Parle G (largest selling brand of biscuits in the world according to WIKI), Britannia

what is charas?
Use of Cannabis, particularly Bhang in certain parts of India is quite common (not stigmatized).

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
You said some chauvinistic hindi northern pandits wouldnt even allow some southerners to touch their feet.

can you merge accounts btw?
There are "chauvinistic" Pandits who will not let low caste touch their feet. Yes but those lower caste can be free from any part of the country.

Not possible to merge accounts sorry.

Sylex21

Ok I have some:

1) Do Indians feel the threat of a terrorist bombing, war with Pakistan or China as part of their day to day lives, or is it mostly something in the background, that might occasionally might happen but isn't a great concern for most people?

2) Do younger Indians still feel the strong bong with Russia that our parents/grand parents generation did? I assume there are friendly feelings to some extend, but the depth of them is the question

3) Has there been a visible change in poverty over the last 10-20 years, or does it feel pretty much same-old same-old.

4) Why won't that girl Pooja, I met at mandir return my calls?

ghost

Ok I have some:
Sir,

1)
Do Indians feel the threat of a terrorist bombing, war with Pakistan or China as part of their day to day lives, or is it mostly something in the background, that might occasionally might happen but isn't a great concern for most people?
No,isn't a great concern for most people.

2)
Do younger Indians still feel the strong bong with Russia that our parents/grand parents generation did? I assume there are friendly feelings to some extend, but the depth of them is the question
Only the informed ones,numbers are low.(but every Indian with basic knowledge is aware that Russia is our friend)

3)
Has there been a visible change in poverty over the last 10-20 years, or does it feel pretty much same-old same-old.
There has been a visible change,even poor people are emphasizing on the education of their children .Mobiles phones are common for everyone.Basic standard of living has gone up.(in general)

4)
Why won't that girl Pooja, I met at mandir return my calls?
Impressing a girl is an art+science. If you want me to draw for you and provide the chemical equations for sparks to flew ,you should better be more detailed in your description.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok I have some:

1) Do Indians feel the threat of a terrorist bombing, war with Pakistan or China as part of their day to day lives, or is it mostly something in the background, that might occasionally might happen but isn't a great concern for most people?

2) Do younger Indians still feel the strong bong with Russia that our parents/grand parents generation did? I assume there are friendly feelings to some extend, but the depth of them is the question

3) Has there been a visible change in poverty over the last 10-20 years, or does it feel pretty much same-old same-old.

1. Nope.

2. I don't think that a lot of "parents" generation did have either. Russia is considered a friendly country, but American and Indian people are much much closer.

3. I will go on a different tangent: Average land rates in a big city is about 200$ a sq foot. So if you own even a decent apartment you could easily be worth 100k$ and Indians love saving and hate debts.

4. She doesn't goto the mandir to check out boys. Try hitting some Dooja at a bar.:taunt:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

what is charas?
Marijuana and Hash is quite popular in the North (esp Punjab), Bombay,Pune and Goa. Marijuana grows openly across North India.

Opium is popular in the rural North-Central belt (esp Punjab). India is a big producer of "legal" opium.

Drugs like Coke are gaining popularity in places like Delhi, Bombay, and Goa.

Heroin is quite prevalent in the North esp Punjab.

Pharma/synthetic drugs are becoming popular in Punjab and amongst students in bigger towns.

Charas is Hash.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Do indians eat western/non indian food in their home life or when they eat out? Do people make spaghetti and sauce or chow mein at home for their families?

is there pizza parlours, chinese food and McDonald's every 2 blocks like in north america?

Since, @Singh has already answered about urban India, which is true. I will answer about rural India.

1. Western/ Non Indian food in their home life. YES, sometimes. For a change.
2. Make at home. No. But I think only because they do not know how to make these things. And only time they eat these things is when they celebrate or need a change. And during these times, they go out to a restaurant at a nearby town and eat there.
3. Pizza parlours, Chinese foods etc. No. Not in rural areas. But there always is a foodie area at a nearby town where you can get all these items to eat. And believe me, they are always full.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Are vegetarians seen as more refined culturally in indian culture or usually more affluent sociallu? I notice the most affluent indians in Canada (other than punjabis) are vegetarian (gujarati)
No (in urban areas). Yes, in many of the rural areas. In my family, my mom is pure vegetarian but me, my dad and my brother eat non-veg food all the time. Also, the other 3 are religious people. I am not. So even being an Atheist is ok here.

Ashutosh Lokhande

Hakka?

I hate eating out for indian or asian food . curry always all surwah and hakka always all carbs/noodkes .-.
i dont like hakka. i usally order- manchow soup,chiken chilly, lollypop,springrolls, and schezwan noodles.

Kshatriya87

Country flag

what is charas?
OH YES. You can visit places like Goa, Kasaul, Manali, Delhi etc. You can get grass, charas easily there. You can see tourists rolling a joint on the streets of Kasaul (in northern India). Charas is a black cream made from cannabis. Manali cream is very famous is India.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Ok I have some:

LOL.. I love your last question but unfortunately the answer depends on a large number of facts, probabilities, situation etc. Give us some details.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
1. Nope.

2. I don't think that a lot of "parents" generation did have either. Russia is considered a friendly country, but American and Indian people are much much closer.

3. I will go on a different tangent: Average land rates in a big city is about 200$ a sq foot. So if you own even a decent apartment you could easily be worth 100k$ and Indians love saving and hate debts.

4. She doesn't goto the mandir to check out boys. Try hitting some Dooja at a bar.:taunt:

FYI, @Sylex21, "Dooja" means "some other" person :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashutosh Lokhande

Are vegetarians seen as more refined culturally in indian culture or usually more affluent sociallu? I notice the most affluent indians in Canada (other than punjabis) are vegetarian (gujarati)
nothing like that in india. as india is too big of a country for that to happen. here most affluent people change according to the state we discuss. for eg: Marathi people are very affluent in maharastra. bengalis in WB. tamilians in TN. its not based on food preference.

earlier when india just had got independence that time only brhamins were affluent in almost all of india but the situation is no longer true in todays time.

although i agree that punjabis and gujratis are affluent in many cities of india other than there own states. they are more into bussiness field.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles