UN Security Council Reforms

p2prada

Wonder if the the G4 has considered a threat of withdrawal from the UN to force the issue. Will that have any effect at all. Call it blackmail, but then threats have always been part of international diplomacy.
We will face irreparable damage. Withdrawing from the UN would mean no more loans from international bodies. No access of funds from UNICEF, ILO and other UN organizations. In case of a major war, we there will be no Red Cross. We cannot be part of any peacekeeping operations. We will simply isolate our countries from the world.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Its a collective that i am talking about. A G4 decsion. India going out alone is a no no. But what about all the aspiring countries.

Also, IMF and WB are not in UN control, so loans are not an issue. Red Cross too is independent body.

And yes not being part of peace keeping ops is the major pressure point India can exert as it contributes the second highest number of troops for that. So its not India that will be hurt, but the UN.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
India, Bahrain to back each other for UN seat

New Delhi: Reciprocating Bahrain's support for its UN Security Council (UNSC) aspirations, India on Tuesday said it will support the Gulf country's bid for a non-permanent seat in the UNSC in 2026-27.

Bahrain reiterated its position that India's permanent membership in the Security Council would be a stabilising influence in the whole region, the External Affairs Ministry said in New Delhi on Tuesday, a day after Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor held talks with leaders of the Gulf country.

Bahrain would also support India's candidature for a non-permanent seat in the UNSC for 2011-12, the ministry said.

"India committed its support for Bahrain's candidature for a non-permanent seat in the UNSC in 2026-27," the ministry said.

Elections will be held in October 2010 for the five non-permanent UNSC seats for 2011-12. Asia will get only one seat. India has not been a (non-permanent) Security Council member since 1991-92. In 1996, it lost to Japan 40-142.

Tharoor wrapped up his two-day visit to Bahrain on Monday night and headed to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on a three-day visit that begins on Tuesday.

During his visit to Bahrain, Tharoor called on Prime Minister Shaikh Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa and held wide-ranging discussions with Foreign Minister Shaikh Khalid Bin Ahmed Bin Mohamed Al Khalifa.

India will host Bahrain's King Hamad Bin Isa Al Khalifa later this year.

The two sides agreed to accelerate the pace of negotiations for concluding a free trade agreement between India and the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council.

Tharoor also discussed issues relating to the welfare of over 300,000 Indians living in the Gulf country

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
The Hindu : News / International : India seeks UAE support for Security Council seat

Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor, who is on the second leg of his visit to the Gulf countries, has advocated deeper political and economic ties with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and has sought Abu Dhabi’s support for India as a non-permanent member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

Mr. Tharoor, who had concluded a two-day visit of Bahrain, said here at a meeting organised by the Indian Business and Professional Council that with its entry into the G20, India had become part of the apex forum that steered the global economy.

Mr. Tharoor pointed out that India should also be included in an expanded Security Council, the group that sets the global political agenda.

However, Mr. Tharoor stressed that the expansion of the Security Council, which was still a long way ahead, would not only have to include India but also adequately represent Africa and Latin America, apart from having Japan and Germany as new members.

‘Natural destination’

India, which was on a high growth path despite the current global recession, was a natural destination for the UAE to put in its investible surplus.

India required billions of dollars of foreign capital to develop its “hardware” for growth, which included power, ports, airports, roads and even railways, he said.

To a question, Mr. Tharoor said India’s ranking in the Human Development Index would improve only after success was achieved in developing the “software” for growth, which included advances especially in education and health.

In Bahrain, Mr. Tharoor discussed ways to counter terrorism with interlocutors. He also announced the early formation of an Indo-Bahraini Business Council.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Russia opposes expansion of nuclear club - Medvedev

12:3909/10/2009
MOSCOW, October 9 (RIA Novosti) - Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said he strongly opposes the appearance of new members of the so-called nuclear club."We are against the extension of the nuclear club. Otherwise the situation will get out of control," Medvedev said in an interview with Russia's Channel 1 to be broadcast on Sunday.
Medvedev also reiterated the necessity to build a nuclear-free world.
"The world without nuclear weapons is an ideal which should be on our agenda," he said.
Russia, the United States, France, China and the United Kingdom are considered to be nuclear weapons states (NWS), an internationally recognized status conferred by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), which came into force in 1970.
While India and Pakistan both possess nuclear arsenals, they are non-signatories to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Israel is also widely believed to possess nuclear weapons.
North Korea conducted a second nuclear test in May 2009. The U.S. and some Western powers accuse Iran of attempting to build nuclear weapons, but Tehran says its nuclear program is aimed at generating nuclear energy for civilian purposes.

Russia opposes expansion of nuclear club - Medvedev | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

Martian

Respected Member
"We are against the extension of the nuclear club." Whether it's Russian President Medvedev or the other members of the P5, the truth is that they will always try to keep the club as small as possible. If fits with the model that countries behave according to their geostrategic interests. The concept of "friendship" among nations is public relations, in my opinion. At its core, nations only care about themselves.

Country flag
India must be part of UNSC expansion: Bush

India must be part of UNSC expansion: Bush- Hindustan Times

India must be part of UNSC expansion: Bush

When the decision is made to expand the United Nations Security Council, said former US President George W. Bush speaking at the Hindustan Times Leadership Initiative, “India will be part of the mix.” The main barrier was less India’s credentials than crossing the “threshold” of agreeing to expand the council.

In a speech that otherwise emphasised the importance of the Indo-US relationship, Bush said, “We seriously considered expanding the UN in, I think, 2006. (Then US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice) began serious discussions on the issue. But when we talked to other countries, we got blowback.”

Bush said present veto-wielding countries were less than happy with the idea once they realised an expansion of the permanent membership would mean a dilution of their influence. “The Security Council should be changed given the new realities of the world,” said Bush.

“But the politics is difficult.” Japan, the world’s second largest economy, was a good candidate as were regional powers like Brazil. “India, however, must be considered as part of the mix.” Bush was unapologetic about the decisions he made to wage the “war on terrorism.” He made it clear that when it came to terrorists, he saw no point in compromise. “I don’t think you can negotiate with them.”

He strongly opposed letting the Taliban takeover Afghanistan again. “They would make Afghanistan a safe haven for terrorists.” He expressed strong emotions at the idea of what a Taliban recovery would mean in terms of “suppression of Afghan women” and the return of a “brutal tyranny.” The US mission has been long, difficult and costly. But it is necessary for peace and stability.” India and the US “had to stand together to support this young democracy.”

Bush argued that that spreading democracy, spreading values “shared by the US and India” was what would bring peace to the world. “In the long-term, the way to fight terrorists is tackle their ideology and for that we need to advance our values of democracy.”

Bush began his speech at the conference speaking about how he, Manmohan Singh and Atal Bihari Vajpayee had worked to bring the Indo-US partnership “into the 21st century.” He mentioned a long list of initiatives that had taken place during his administration including the civilian nuclear agreement.

“India and the US are half a globe apart, but have never been closer.” “India and the US should not only have an important relationship, but also the best relationship in the world,” he said. “But this will not happen automatically.” Bush made it clear the US would still pursue its relations with Pakistan and China as well.

“It is in India’s interest that a friend an ally be engaged with your neighbour,” he said. “We looked for elements in Pakistani society and military who were prepared to fight the extremists.” “I believe the changes I helped bring about in the Indo-US relationship” and the strategic partnership it is creating will help underpin world peace “50 years from now.”

BushSpeak

On the present economic crisis: My administration had to intervene to avert a depression. India has acted decisively when the crisis happened, we and other governments intervened together. First, I see the crisis as having happened because the US got a lot of liquidity thanks to trade imbalances it was running. We developed fancy financial instruments from that liquidity that became so complex that no one understood them. Second, we had two financial institutions, who issued government backed mortgages that began to unwind. We had tried to regulate these two but had been blocked by Congress. Governments cannot spend our way to recovery, you have to revive the private sector and that means supporting small businessmen, entrepreneurs and risk takers.

On Osama bin Laden: I think he’s alive. But he hasn’t won. He’s not holding any victory parades, he’s in hiding. He’s not giving television interviews. Eventually he will be brought to justice. The definition of victory is not win, it is ‘if’.

On Iraq invasion: The world is much better off without Saddam Hussein. There is no question about that. Hussein was a threat to the US. He was a brutal dictator. He used weapons of mass destruction against his own people. He was not letting weapon inspectors in. Why should he do that unless he was hiding something? Everyone in the world believed he had WMDs. Regime change in Iraq was the official policy of the US much before I became the president. It was a law passed by Congress by the previous administration. And I take words seriously in international relations. It is not true that we did not have post-invasion plan. Look, once it was decided to remove Saddam Hussein, I had a choice of either replacing him with another tyrant or letting Iraqis who would rule them. But I believe in democracy, I believe it is a fundamental right, a universal right for everyone person. Setting up another tyrant was the easy option. And today we have a democratic Iraq. I reject the idea that some people are not ready for democracy. That is an elitist point of view.

On his impact on radical Islam: It is simply untrue that radical Islamic recruitment increased because of Iraq and Afghanistan. Even before 9/11, there were 10,000 radicals training in Afghanistan and they wanted to attack the United States. They would have found some other excuse to attack the US. My view is if we see threats, we need to take them on. What was the US supposed to do after 9/11? Just walk away? I know there’s propaganda out there saying George Bush and America hate Muslims. I would appeal to Muslims to not believe this. I believe in democracy and I don’t believe it is incompatible with Islam. I appeal to Muslims to not let the propagandists hijack their religion to murder innocent people. I hate people who hijack a great religion to murder innocent people.

On democracy: You know, after 9/11. I got a phone call from the prime minister of Japan, Junichiro Koizumi. He told me, “Japan stands with you in fighting terror and spreading democracy.” Sixty years ago, my father fought against the Japanese. And here was a Japanese leader saying he would fight alongside the United States. Sixty years is nothing in the span of history. What happened was democracy. Japan was changed by democracy. If you had told anyone 60 years ago that the Japanese would ever say they would help spread democracy, they would have laughed at you. The point is, democracy is transformative. And I think it will transform the Middle East.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Cyprus supports India for UN Security Council seat

Cyprus supports India for UN Security Council seat

Nicosia: Cyprus has expressed its support for a permanent seat for India in an expanded UN Security Council.

Cyprus President Demetris Christofias while speaking on Saturday at a state banquet in honour of visiting Indian President Pratibha Patil said his country considers India a very important country at the regional and international level, Xinhua reported.

"Should a decision on the reform of the UN Security Council be made, India would deserve a permanent seat in such a body which would have enhanced authority and would enjoy the highest possible approval," he said.

The Indian President thanked Cyprus for "deep understanding" of India's national aspirations.

"India values the consistent support that Cyprus has extended on issues of vital concern," she added.

India and Cyprus have enjoyed traditional friendship. Indian leaders Mahatma Gandhi and Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru had personal friendship with Archbishop Makarios, Cyprus' first president after independence.

Patil arrived in Cyprus Thursday evening following a state visit to Britain. She is the first Indian President to visit the island state in the last 20 years. Cyprus' late President Tassos Papadopoulos visited India in 2006.

no smoking

Country flag
I am surprised that this thread is still open. I thought we have reach the conclusion that there is no one in P5 wants any new partner.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
^^^ why not India will make it happen. Everybody thought NPT waiver not going to happen to India !

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
UK supports India's claim for a permanent UNSC seat

fullstory

London, Nov 12 (PTI) Lauding India's contributions to the UN peacekeeping operations, Britain today said the country rightly deserved to be a permanent member of an expanded Security Council.

British minister for international development Gareth Thomas, at a Remembrance Day meeting in the House of Commons, joined lawmakers cutting across party lines to praise the huge contributions of Indians who came forward to defeat a "fascist state" during the World Wars.

Thomas said: "We must not forget the current generation of Indian troops fighting for peace around the world as UN peacekeepers... One reason the UK supports India's inclusion in the UN Security council is India's continuing preparedness to make contributions to the UN peacekeeping force".

In the First and Second World Wars, Indian soldiers won 43 Victoria Crosses - UK's highest military decoration.

Rage

DFI TEAM
This is significant, because it marks the first official statement IIRC, of Russia's backing India's permanent UNSC bid.

That makes four incumbent UNSC members, out of five, throwing their backing behind India's UNSC application. That leaves only one: China. How will you respond, China?

Russia supports India’s claim for permanent UNSC seat

Moscow, December 7, 2009

Terming India a “deserving candidate”, Russia on Monday backed its claim for a permanent membership in an expanded United Nations Security Council reflecting present-day realities.

“Russia views India as one of the deserving candidates for the seat of permanent member in the expanded UNSC,” says a joint declaration signed here after summit talks between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.

The two sides also reiterated their intention to strengthen their cooperation on the issues concerning the reforms of UN and its Security Council.

“The UNSC reform should be carried out in a way to reflect the modern-day realities and make this organisation more representative and effective in resolving the existing and emerging tasks,” the Indo-Russian declaration said.
The Hindu : News / National : Russia supports India’s claim for permanent UNSC seat

Koji

Actually, the US has shown very little interest in expanding the UNSC. Only France, Russia, and the UK have supported India.

So in reality, you're missing support from the two biggest geopolitical heavyweights in the SC.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Actually, the US has shown very little interest in expanding the UNSC. Only France, Russia, and the UK have supported India.

So in reality, you're missing support from the two biggest geopolitical heavyweights in the SC.
That is because the US is balancing against both India and China, and balancing both off each other.

A long-term UNSC expansion is not in US interests, because a permanent Security Council seat is 'permanent' and irretrievable.

This article provides a good illustration of why:

http://www.heritage.org/research/internationalorganizations/upload/81963_1.pdf

There is also the issue of India not having signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, which for the purpose of mandate as "a responsible member" "of the international commune" is hugely important. However, the Indian Prime Minister has dangled that carrot before the international community:

Singh's New Stance on Nuclear Proliferation Treaty | Newsweek International | Newsweek.com

Koji

It also seems like that China will be unwilling to consent to an expansion unless it receives something in return. I can easily see China using this as a bartering tool..perhaps on territorial issues.

Rage

DFI TEAM
However, the problem remains that the Security Council’s membership could only be changed if all of the existing members, plus every member of the General Assembly reach a consensus. In other words, pretty much every country in the world would have to agree, which might not be so distant given the incumbent leadership in Pakistan. However, for all intents and purposes, unfeasible.

China remains the biggest obstacle to India's UNSC membership. Pakistan is expected fight tooth and nail to exclude India, however the PPP have shown a willingness to bend over sideways to accommadate India's interests. All of the other contenders for Security Council membership also have bitter rivals. Japan is expected to be blocked by China, the rest of South America is wary of according leadership of their region to Brazil. Italy might want to block Germany, rather than face being the only major European power without a Security Council seat. And Nigeria and South Africa will oppose one another’s membership, in order to claim the trophy for themselves. In other words, each sees this as a zero-sum game, making arbitration and accord difficult.

It also seems like that China will be unwilling to consent to an expansion unless it receives something in return. I can easily see China using this as a bartering tool..perhaps on territorial issues.
Territorial issues remain a distant dream. Since 1947, we have never ceded any territory we have laid claim to, rather quite the reverse: acquiring territories from princely states that chose to dither or vacillate on an agreement with the exception of Kashmir that we presently control only about 2/3 of. And the 2005 border agreement is explicitly designed to our long-term categoric favour [read "settlement of border areas" excluded from transfer]. To understand the 'Indian psyche' is to understand that we will never give up on territory, and remain as irredentist as ever, even controlling other states that we perceive as part of a greater Indian ambit of Akhand Bharat.

Koji

Whole-heartedly agree with you Rage, which then makes me wonder why you don't realize then that the goal of achieving a Security Council seat for India is nearly impossible.

Flint

Reform of the UNSC is inevitable I feel, though it is not going to happen any time soon.

As India grows more powerful, excluding her from the high-table will only undermine the effectiveness and authority of the UNSC.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Whole-heartedly agree with you Rage, which then makes me wonder why you don't realize then that the goal of achieving a Security Council seat for India is nearly impossible.
Nearly. But that one probability percentage point doesn't dither us from trying. We see this as a very-long-term ambition, and its immediate requital doesn't warrant us any undue concern. We will keep making diplomatic probes and keep garnering international support, for internationally and geospatio-politically, it makes us seem strong as well: the foremost contender for future UNSC membership (if any?) is a useful ally to court.

badguy2000

Respected Member
This is significant, because it marks the first official statement IIRC, of Russia's backing India's permanent UNSC bid.

That makes four incumbent UNSC members, out of five, throwing their backing behind India's UNSC application. That leaves only one: China. How will you respond, China?

The Hindu : News / National : Russia supports India’s claim for permanent UNSC seat
Russia's statement is just a cheap promise,because Russia knows that somebody else would stop any expansion of UNSC for Russia,whatever Russia promises.

So are USA's backing Japan and CHina's backing German.

In fact, neither of P5 , especially France and UK ,wants any expansion of UNSC at all.

P5's backing of G4 so called is just cheap empty promises to earn applauds.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles