UN ignores Pakistan bid to seek intervention on Kashmir

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Pakistan's latest efforts seeking UN intervention on the Kashmir issue have failed to draw any new response from the world body which reiterated that India and Pakistan need to resolve all differences through dialogue to find a long-term solution to the dispute.

Sartaj Aziz, adviser to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on national security and foreign affairs, had written to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on the recent border tension with India and sought the UN's intervention, stepping up its attempts to internationalise the Kashmir issue.

In the letter to Ban, Aziz said Pakistan believes the UN has an important role to play in promoting the objective of peaceful resolution of the Kashmir issue, including through his "good offices".

Ban's deputy spokesperson Farhan Haq, when asked to comment on the letter seeking Ban's intervention and his viewpoint on the issue, told reporters yesterday he would refer to a statement that was issued last week by Ban's spokesperson in which the UN chief encouraged India and Pakistan to resolve all differences through dialogue and engage constructively to find a long-term solution for peace and stability in Kashmir.

The Secretary-General is "concerned about the recent escalation of violence along the Line of Control between India and Pakistan. He deplores the loss of lives and the displacement of civilians on both sides," said the statement.

A war of words between the two countries over the situation at the LoC took place last week at the UN General Assembly where India said that it was a "matter of deep regret" that Pakistan violated the ceasefire, in which eight people were killed and several others injured.

India made it clear that its armed forces are "fully ready" to respond to "provocation".

India also said that the onus of creating a positive environment for normalisation of relations is on Pakistan.

The UN has long maintained an institutional presence in the contested area between the two countries.

The UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) observes and reports on ceasefire violations along and across the LoC and the working boundary between the South Asian neighbours in Jammu and Kashmir, as well as reports developments that could lead to ceasefire violations.

India has, however, always maintained that UNMOGIP has "outlived its relevance" and has "no role to play whatsoever" on the issue.

Read more at: UN ignores Pakistan bid to seek intervention on Kashmir : World, News - India Today

pmaitra

Re: UN ignores Pakistan bid to seek intervention on Kashmir Read mor

Hmm.

So Pakistan gets a pounding from the BSF, and then gets a snub from the UN.

I wonder what they will do next. A terror attack comes to mind. I hope our intelligence agencies are keeping their ears and eyes open.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Pak Sarzameen PM has written to beg the UN to intervene.

Leopards can never change their spots. Last time during Kargil, having started it, ran to US crashed in the 4 July celebration to ask Clinton to save Pakistan.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Good now the message is clear, there is a new Govt. in Delhi and things have changed. Pakistan has to recalibrate it's strategy.

With US troops withdrawing from Afghanistan, the Dollars from Washington are going to dry up and Uncle Beijing is not willing to open it's purse strings.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
I want India to claim its possession of Pakistan occupied Kashmir, Hunza & GB region.

How do we get the leadership team in Delhi to make it a national theme & obsession to get back POK & GB region. Whenever pakis raise Kashmir issue we need to remind them about their occupation in Northern Kashmir & GB. India needs to give pakis a deadline to vacate the Kashmir.

Can we really get back the remaining Kashmir to our folds? This is really very important.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Nice. Too bad, no one is paying attention to the sad state of pakis.

Kshatriya87

Country flag

Hmm.

I wonder what they will do next. A terror attack comes to mind. I hope our intelligence agencies are keeping their ears and eyes open.

Yes they are. Especially after the 2nd incident where some kashmiris demonstrated with ISIS flags. Todays news says that we have started a massive hunt down to track and arrest those demonstrators.

Blackwater

Yes they are. Especially after the 2nd incident where some kashmiris demonstrated with ISIS flags. Todays news says that we have started a massive hunt down to track and arrest those demonstrators.
usi time thook dete to save time and money

Kshatriya87

Country flag

usi time thook dete to save time and money
chahte toh hum bhi yehin hai.. lekin public mein thok dete toh riots ho jate.. you know how they react

tramp

I am expecting Pakistan to escalate the border incidents further in a bid to alarm the West. Civilian casualties are no concern for the Pakistani military who would rather sacrifice the 'bloody civilians' as cannon fodder.
So what would be "unacceptable damage" for the Pakistani military? Civilian death is not that bad an outcome for it. In fact that is what it wants so that it can more readily draw a parallel with Gaza etc...

Hmm.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
After UN rejection looks like pakis will start a low intensity border firing every alternate day to satisfy their egos.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

I am expecting Pakistan to escalate the border incidents further in a bid to alarm the West. Civilian casualties are no concern for the Pakistani military who would rather sacrifice the 'bloody civilians' as cannon fodder.
So what would be "unacceptable damage" for the Pakistani military? Civilian death is not that bad an outcome for it. In fact that is what it wants so that it can more readily draw a parallel with Gaza etc...
Firing has re-ignited in Poonch sector. But I suspect that their tricks would now evolve from a simple exchange of fire.
Something more sinister like the soldier beaheadings or another terror attack in civilians areas might be up.
Lets hope for the neighbors sake, that nothing untoward happens.

anupamsurey

Country flag
as i stated in some other thread, nobody cares if Pakis die in Pakistan (not even paki care about it), hell they have been dying in drone attacks before this, but nobody gives a shit.
and we can say that- another paki scheme to internationalize the issue goes in the sink:toilet

thethinker

Country flag
as i stated in some other thread, nobody cares if Pakis die in Pakistan (not even paki care about it), hell they have been dying in drone attacks before this, but nobody gives a shit.
and we can say that- another paki scheme to internationalize the issue goes in the sink:toilet
Previously they used to care because they had their hopes on Pak to counter India. Now that reality has revealed itself, it is a different scenario altogether.

Realpolitik has what has made UN and the West adopt this stance. Not because they love India but they realize that they can't gain anything much by hating India. At least not publicly that is.

Sylex21

Economy is power. Pakistan's economy is already really bad and heavily military spending is making it much worse year by year. India's economy is booming, and India will already be increasing military spending to maintain some parity with a growing China. So aren't tensions pretty good for India? PAK Army keeps the nations economy bleeding like the USA did to the USSR.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles