United Kingdom is a third rate power

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmaitra

yes, i have seen david cameron on the news several times, and he does not talk like that at all. like i said, you seem to be emulating the way they spoke in a previous generation, with some exaggerations here and there. like referring to people as "old bean" for one.
Old bean - ha ha ha! That was swell bud! New appendage to my urban vocab! Cheerio!

the question is, why the sudden change of heart?
There is no change in heart. (from my understanding)

i always thought you were extremely pro-british to be speaking like that.
Politically, no, but culturally, yes, many of us are indeed pro-Britain.

Reactions: Ray

Tianshan

Old bean - ha ha ha! That was swell bud! New appendage to my urban vocab! Cheerio!
they don't talk like that anymore, was my point. if i went to a british person and started saying "what ho, old bean!" they would probably feel that i was being deliberately patronizing/insulting.

or that i was simply in some sort of cultural shock from watching too many old british tv shows.

Last edited:

pmaitra

they don't talk like that anymore, was my point. if i went to a british person and started saying "what ho, old bean!" they would probably feel that i was being deliberately patronizing/insulting.

or that i was simply in some sort of cultural shock from watching too many old british tv shows.
"What ho?" - now that is amusing!

BTW, "ho" is a common way to attract the attention of a stranger, even in parts of India.

Anyway, it reminds me of, "Yo ho ho, and a bottle of rum!"

It was some Treasure Hunt story I had read and there was a Spy Glass Inn, I think based out of Glasgow. Someone please refresh my memory.

I had a friend from Azerbaijan. Whenever he used to see me, he'd exclaim, "Za Stalina, Za Rodina!" I would call him "Tovarish!" :)

Can I call you "Tonche?"

Tianshan

my interest in ray's use of old british-style english was brought about when i read that thread from the ARRSE forum, in which ray was telling "scalieback" that he was not speaking proper english! and that in fact scalieback was somehow "americanized" and betraying proper british english.

pmaitra

my interest in ray's use of old british-style english was brought about when i read that thread from the ARRSE forum, in which ray was telling "scalieback" that he was not speaking proper english! and that in fact scalieback was somehow "americanized" and betraying proper british english.
I dunno man! I'll let Ray Sir and ScalieBack explain that to you better.

For all I care, there is a cheap beer available here called Olde English! Now that's some old English! :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Old bean and what ho maybe because I like PG Wodehouse.

Surprising that even though he is from the Blighty, he settled in the US.

And anyway, I have also said in ARRSE that Scalie was a good apple.

Apples or oranges is actually Quebec French (now used in India too; we are getting Americanised!), in English, it is chalk and Cheese and in Chinese, it is 风马牛不相及 (fēng mǎ niú bù xiāng jí), literally meaning "horses and cattles won't cross into each other's area".

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Patients Treated In Corridors Of NHS Hospitals, Finds Royal College of Nursing Survey

Nursing leaders have called for a halt to the loss of hospital beds after a study revealed that patients were being left on trolleys for hours on end and treated in corridors.

A survey of 1,200 nurses and healthcare assistants painted a "worrying picture", with patients regularly being kept in ambulances or held in a queue because of a lack of trolleys and beds, the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) said.

In some cases, patients were on hospital trolleys for more than 24 hours, while others were moved regularly for non-clinical reasons so targets could be met, the UK-wide research showed.

More than a fifth of nurses said patients were receiving care in corridors or other unsuitable areas every day. The situation was even worse in emergency departments.

Patients Treated In Corridors Of NHS Hospitals, Finds Royal College of Nursing Survey
One reads a whole lot from British forums and western media of the pathetic state of India and they gloat over the same.

Now, here is just a tip of the iceberg of what ails a 'first rate' country and a 'power'.

I leave it to better judgement if that is the criterion to call oneself a 'first rate' country and a 'first rate' power and have the temerity to sneer and look down the nose on others!

And the report is not from a third world media source! :eek:

I am not doing down Britain. I am merely suggesting that one should not pretend to be 'classy' when the facts do not support that feigned 'class'.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Honestly Ray Sir, personally, I think India is like Teflon. No matter what people splatter at it, not much seems to stick!

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
really?

do you know that britain has a bigger gdp and defence budget than india has, despite only a 60m population?

but their real power is soft power. the fact that we are all speaking english now should give you the first clue.
Thats crap, the only power they have now is a seat in the UN security council. If not for that then they are in a huge downward spiral, with out the US then Britian alone means nothing. Their army and power projection is far smaller, they have 420 tanks as if that would mean anything now.

Also if you look at the language then almost 100% of the world uses Indian numerals, in a by gone age long before Britian the Indian ideas of philosophy, religion, math and science spread all across the world from Japan to Europe, one of the strongest reminiscent is the number system and buddhism but what does that got to do with India being a power now? India is not a huge power now, we dont even have a UN security council seat and everyone laughs at our poverty not knowing its pains.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
GlobalFirepower.com (GFP)
GFP provides a unique analytical display of data covering global military powers with statistics compiled through various sources. All manner of countries are considered in the ranking, a spectrum helping to produce a near-complete comparison of relative military strengths from across the globe. The user should note that nuclear capability is not taken into account for the final ranking for this listing is purely a "numbers game" meant to spark debate and including nuclear weapons would clearly defeat its purpose. Therefore GFP comparisons are for consideration in a conventional war based solely on each individual nation's capabilities on land, at sea and through the air while including logistical and financial aspects when waging total war. Sources are stated whenever possible though some statistics are estimated if official numbers are not available.

Final Thoughts
It goes without saying that lists such can be completely subjective, though the GFP intention is to be wholly unbiased.

The final GFP rankings are based on a formula taking some 45 factors into account and compiling totals against each country, applying bonuses and penalties as needed to generate this list.

1. United States

2. Russia

3. China

4. India

5. UK

Global Firepower - 2012 World Military Strength Ranking

pmaitra

^^

Quite obvious.

It was always in my mind that the order was: USA, Russia, PRC, India. I wasn't sure about 5th spot.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I hope that helps you, Tianshan, to realise which country stands where.

But it is good ploy to confront people so that they fight it out, while one stands in the wings and pick up nuggets. ;)

India and the UK are not competitors, but are on the same side of global geostrategy.

We are buying British hardware and they are selling the same with no strings attached!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
if you like.

though in chinese it sounds like the phrase "tongzhi" haha.

i think calling out "ho" towards someone can be considered rude in modern english?
Tongzhi means Comrade in Chinese as far as I know and it is unisex.

What ho? That does not mean calling anyone.

It means what do you say to that.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ho is also Yes in Marathi, but the villagers use it.

Ho ya is the sophisticated version in Marathi!

Tianshan

I hope that helps you, Tianshan, to realise which country stands where.

But it is good ploy to confront people so that they fight it out, while one stands in the wings and pick up nuggets. ;)

India and the UK are not competitors, but are on the same side of global geostrategy.

We are buying British hardware and they are selling the same with no strings attached!
are you really quoting from that blog called globalfirepower?

Scalieback

Professional
Hounded you shall be, but not hounded out.

You won't get banned for stating your views on issues with facts to back up or with links.

The shoe pinches, right?
Your coloquialisms do make me laugh. We'll see Ray. So far you have run to type.

You must realise how we felt. And you had a whole lot swarming with the choicest. We are not that proficient in lowdown language. Compared to the treatment we got, you are being treated with kid gloves!
Oh dear. Perhaps if you stopped acting like a spoilt child .........

Insult your nation?

Debate it out.

This is a debating forum and not only that is solely to present pro Indian jingoistic views. I daresay the level of our posters are of the infantile level one finds in ARRSE.

Ask yourself. Is UK a power?

If so, how? Where?
We're a power alright. Force projection. Seat on the UN security council. But then, we don't have to brag about it or 'willy wave' about some mil bit of kit we;re acquiring over here.

Isn't this overdose of PC ruining the societal fabric of the UK. No one is saying be an Enoch Powell or BNP. But why club all with the all encompassing 'Asian'.

Today's UK papers talk about 'bed in the shed' extensions in Indian origin homes in the UK. Why not, 'Asian' here?

Wasn't the posters and the tabloids in UK not whining about India refusing aid but having a space programme and going hell for leather in arms procurement? If that is not whining, what is?

Ask yourself!
I agreed on the whining, please think before writing Ray

Hardly a 'grand fromage' here. Cheese is not our staple! ;)

Don't edit. Let us observe and see your level. Why take my name in vain?
You started the name calling Ray. I'll just keep to responses.

amitkriit

Your coloquialisms do make me laugh. We'll see Ray. So far you have run to type.

Oh dear. Perhaps if you stopped acting like a spoilt child .........

We're a power alright. Force projection. Seat on the UN security council. But then, we don't have to brag about it or 'willy wave' about some mil bit of kit we;re acquiring over here.

I agreed on the whining, please think before writing Ray

You started the name calling Ray. I'll just keep to responses.
Geopolitical equations are changing faster than you can imagine. Current organization of UN represents the world order just after the World War 2, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles