United Kingdom is a third rate power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I've never reported a post in my entire life and no intention of starting to now.

I wholly agree, in my minority on here that is ;)

Cheers Pmaitra, I'm looking forward to it.

Then again, the 'grand fromage' insults my country and I retort on here with the equivalent, I'll be hounded!
Hounded you shall be, but not hounded out.

You won't get banned for stating your views on issues with facts to back up or with links.

The shoe pinches, right?

You must realise how we felt. And you had a whole lot swarming with the choicest. We are not that proficient in lowdown language. Compared to the treatment we got, you are being treated with kid gloves!

Insult your nation?

Debate it out.

This is a debating forum and not only that is solely to present pro Indian jingoistic views. I daresay the level of our posters are of the infantile level one finds in ARRSE.

Ask yourself. Is UK a power?

If so, how? Where?

Isn't this overdose of PC ruining the societal fabric of the UK. No one is saying be an Enoch Powell or BNP. But why club all with the all encompassing 'Asian'.

Today's UK papers talk about 'bed in the shed' extensions in Indian origin homes in the UK. Why not, 'Asian' here?

Wasn't the posters and the tabloids in UK not whining about India refusing aid but having a space programme and going hell for leather in arms procurement? If that is not whining, what is?

Ask yourself!

Hardly a 'grand fromage' here. Cheese is not our staple! ;)

Don't edit. Let us observe and see your level. Why take my name in vain?

Last edited:

Tianshan

UK is NOT a third rate power.

I say that even now.

It is NOT a power at all, so where is the rationale to club it with powers of the world? ;)
really?

do you know that britain has a bigger gdp and defence budget than india has, despite only a 60m population?

but their real power is soft power. the fact that we are all speaking english now should give you the first clue.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
really?

do you know that britain has a bigger gdp and defence budget than india has, despite only a 60m population?

but their real power is soft power. the fact that we are all speaking english now should give you the first clue.
We are aware of the GDP and if you are good enough, visit the forum and check what Yusuf had to say. I believe they have removed that thread! Guess why?

Defence and budget?

Well I would skip it for the moment, since one can say much.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Tianshan,

A cultural revolution and UK defence budget miracle | UK news | guardian.co.uk

I won't comment on it, except that it is the Fourth largest defence budget.

Should it not be?

It is fighting active wars and have fought active wars in recent time i.e. Iraq, Libya and currently in Afghanistan.

And to be fair, the British Army is doing a very good job of fighting in Afghanistan.

Last edited:

Tianshan

The reason why we found ARRSE a wee bit odd was that it was:
"a wee bit odd"?

i always thought ray, that you try extra hard to talk like a british person.

i've noticed it in your posts even before i joined here.

Last edited:

pmaitra

"a wee bit odd"?

You are perhaps correct. You, for your part, should consider capitalizing proper nouns and substantives.

It is Ray, and British!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Tianshan.

Sadly the British soft power, if you are meaning the language, has shifted from Britain to the US.

What spellings do you use? British?

What accent do you try to have? British?

pmaitra

To cool things down, let's go to the land of snow and bears!

Tianshan

You are perhaps correct. You, for your part, should consider capitalizing proper nouns and substantives.

It is Ray, and British!
you left out the fact that i did not capitalize the letters at the beginning of my sentences, and also that i did not capitalize "i".

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
"a wee bit odd"?

i've noticed it in your posts even before i joined here.
I don't try hard; it comes naturally to me. I have been taught English as my first language.

Yes, I have nothing to feel shy about and there is nothing wrong in speaking the language as close to the real natives of the language.

Though I am told that the syntax has changed at the street level!

Last edited:

pmaitra

you left out the fact that i did not capitalize the letters at the beginning of my sentences, and also that i did not capitalize "i".
'I' is a proper noun already, and you began your sentence with the same.

Bushmills

Gentlemen

I think that we should agree on a moratorium on discussing Anglo Indian relations for a month or two.

There is understandable acrimony on the Indian side but I think that if there is the potential for further polarisation to be avoided, it should be embraced.

Please accept that there is little ill will on the part of most Brit's or Aussies towards the Indian people and in fact, the fine service, that a lot of your skilled and professional people give to their adopted countries, creates a lot of good will.

I think it is time to let sleeping dogs rest rather than stir unecessary ill will.

Best wishes

B

pmaitra

i was referring to the "a" on the first line, but thank you for your help.
Trivia!

Anyway, what is wrong with being British in language and grammar? Nothing wrong in absorbing what you perceive as good in others.

Tianshan

Trivia!

Anyway, what is wrong with being British in language and grammar? Nothing wrong in absorbing what you perceive as good in others.
my point is that whenever i have talked with ray, his "british-style" speech seemed more excessive than even the native british themselves.

to the point where i thought that i was talking to a "posh" british person from the previous generation.

since he claimed to be indian, i always just assumed that he simply has a great love for the country of britain and thus wished to emulate their old speech patterns. since i do not see modern day british talking like that.

so i was quite shocked that he is now claiming that britain is not even a third-rate power, and that britain is supposedly "nothing". when we both know that is not true.

pmaitra

my point is that whenever i have talked with ray, his "british-style" speech seemed more excessive than even the native british themselves.

to the point where i thought that i was talking to a "posh" british person from the previous generation.

since he claimed to be indian, i always just assumed that he simply has a great love for the country of britain and thus wished to emulate their old speech patterns. since i do not see modern day british talking like that.

so i was quite shocked that he is now claiming that britain is not even a third-rate power, and that britain is supposedly "nothing". when we both know that is not true.
Well, we may not have a very generous opinion about Britain as it is today, we do hold Britain of yester-years in high regard. Quoting Shakespeare or Wordsworth is a mark of finesse in India. I have never been to Britain, but I don't think many people do that there, as much as we do.

We have still maintained a lot of the ancient British traditions, including the English proverb, 'spare the rod and spoil the child,' in our way of disciplining children. We do not appreciate anti-corporal punishment laws of the West.

We have our differences, but what is good, must be appreciated, as much as the emulation thereof.

Edit: Please do checkout my argument with lemontree regarding Jaliwanwalabagh massacre. I have some idea what to appeciate, and what not.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Modern British is who?

The egalitarian Britain?

I do appreciate many thing British, but that does not mean I have to fawn over Britain.

The fact that they have come to this state where they have lost being the 'old generation' (as you put it), they are coming to grief!

Does Cameron or even Blair talk differently than what I write?

I will admit that there is a whole lot of Americanism that has overwhelmed the modern British and so, yes, I do sound different.

pmaitra

I will admit that there is a whole lot of Americanism that has overwhelmed the modern British and so, yes, I do sound different.
Aptly put. Even Dido sings in a very Americanized accent these days!

Dollar power baby! ;)

Tianshan

Does Cameron or even Blair talk differently than what I write?
yes, i have seen david cameron on the news several times, and he does not talk like that at all. like i said, you seem to be emulating the way they spoke in a previous generation, with some exaggerations here and there. like saying "what ho, old bean?" for one.

Clever clever Indians, what ho, old bean?
the question is, why the sudden change of heart?

i always thought you were extremely pro-british to be speaking like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles