UK jets threaten to 'shoot down' Latvian cargo plane over attack fears

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Two Royal Air Force jets reportedly threatened to shoot down a Latvian cargo plane, rushing at supersonic speeds to intercept it, after the plane failed to respond to air traffic control over Kent in Southern England and sent authorities into panic mode.

"I am instructed by Her Majesty's Government of the United Kingdom to warn you that, if you do not respond immediately to my orders, you will be shot down," radioed one of the jets, according to an audio recording circulating in UK media.

The incident occurred at about 5pm local time after the Latvian Antonov An-26 aircraft failed to make contact with air traffic controllers.

British Typhoons were tasked with intercepting the cargo plane. "To fulfill their quick reaction role, they were cleared to travel at supersonic speed," an RAF spokesperson said, adding that the speed explains the loud noise people heard in the air.
And As expected the "Russian threat" card was played :thumb:

The excitement surrounding the intercept – apparently based on post-9/11 terrorist attack fears – came amid a heightened terror alert in the UK at the time of the allied military campaign against the Islamic State.

Media reports mirrored the panic frenzy triggered by the incident, but in a peculiar way: first saying that the cargo plane was "Russian" and then switching to a "Russian-made" reference.

Both takes were wrong: the Antonov design bureau, the producer of An-26 planes, is a Ukrainian company founded in Soviet times, and the plane in question belonged to a Latvian-registered company, ironically called RAF-Avia.

However, the British media seemingly capitalized on the latest NATO reports of "unusual" increased activity of Russian military aircrafts over the Atlantic and the Black Sea.

NATO stated that it has intercepted four groups of Russian planes since Tuesday. "These sizeable Russian flights represent an unusual level of air activity over European airspace," the alliance said.

Most media reports based on the NATO statement failed to mention that the Russian planes did not cross any borders and remained within international airspace in every mentioned case.
Source: http://rt.com/news/200695-uk-jets-latvian-plane-attack/

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: UK jets threaten to 'shoot down' Latvian cargo plane over attack f

I wonder what @asianobserve feels about this.

This is when there is no cold war and there is no threat of a nuclear war as it was in 1983.

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

And As expected the "Russian threat" card was played :thumb:

Source: http://rt.com/news/200695-uk-jets-latvian-plane-attack/

Or perhaps it was because of fear of 911 style attack when the cargo plane did not respond that prompted the RAF to scramble at supersonic speeds over residential and commercial areas. If you have been taking note of news lately ISIS has threatened to attack UK recently due to the latter's decision to join anti-ISIS coalition/fight.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

I wonder what @asianobserve feels about this.

This is when there is no cold war and there is no threat of a nuclear war as it was in 1983.

Read my post #3, it was terrorism fears of plane being slammed against London targets that prompted the vigorous response from the RAF (Typhoon jets were cleared for supersonic speeds over populated areas).

'They have to assume the worst - especially if its did end up heading towards Buckingham Palace or Houses of Parliament.'

He added: 'The RAF is certainly not going to wittingly shoot down the flight with passengers unless convinced they would die in a terrorist attack.'

Read more: RAF pilot told Latvian plane 'you will be shot down' after veering over London | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Or perhaps it was because of fear of 911 style attack when the cargo plane did not respond that prompted the RAF to scramble at supersonic speeds over residential and commercial areas. If you have been taking note of news lately ISIS has threatened to attack UK recently due to the latter's decision to join anti-ISIS coalition/fight.
I don't think ISIS has the capability to fly airplanes into US/UK airspace, but the hysteria is understandable from a ISIS/Mujahid threat point of view.
But what amuses me is the Russia pointing as soon as anything happens, without any credible evidence.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Read my post #3, it was terrorism fears of plane being slammed against London targets that prompted the vigorous response from the RAF (Typhoon jets were cleared for supersonic speeds over populated areas).
And it was the fear of SDI and nuclear war that brought the KAL 007 down, which was regrettable, but a reality.

Further,
The Russians watched the plane approach, and then fly through, a second swath of Soviet territory. The Su-15 pilot, Gennadie Osipovich, part of a fighter wing based at Dolinsk-Sokol, tried to contact the plane on the international distress frequency. The Korean pilots probably did not hear his pleas; they had no reason to think that they were in any danger based on where they thought they were.
http://theweek.com/article/index/264955/heres-the-last-time-russia-shot-down-a-passenger-plane
I don't think ISIS has the capability to fly airplanes into US/UK airspace, but the hysteria is understandable from a ISIS/Mujahid threat point of view.
But what amuses me is the Russia pointing as soon as anything happens, without any credible evidence.
Even if the ISIS have aircraft, it will not have aircraft with such endurance to take on UK.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

If Al Qaeda was able to lunch a spectacular coordinated aerial attack in New York City what makes you think that ISIS, which is vastly more fanatic and moneyed cannot do the same thing over London? But if you tune in to Putin's mouth piece then you'll get weird conspiracy theories that only work on people who are ready to suspend their better judgments for the sake of Russia...

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

And it was the fear of SDI and nuclear war that brought the KAL 007 down, which was regrettable, but a reality.
Did the RAF shot down that Latvian freighter?

Even if the ISIS have aircraft, it will not have aircraft with such endurance to take on UK.
Another fellow in suspended reality... Have you heard about hijacking?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

If Al Qaeda was able to lunch a spectacular coordinated aerial attack in New York City what makes you think that ISIS, which is vastly more fanatic and moneyed cannot do the same thing over London? But if you tune in to Putin's mouth piece then you'll get weird conspiracy theories that only work on people who are ready to suspend their better judgments for the sake of Russia...
You have simply evaded.
See bold below. Not about ISIS/al-Ciada etc.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

When AQ did 9/11, the airport security was not that tight as it is now.

Then there are mechanisms in the aircraft that indicates that terrorists have taken over.

In an anti-hijacking system for autopilot equipped aircraft, a transceiver communicates with at least one remote guidance facility. A panic button is activated by flight crew in case of hijacking. A manager is coupled to the transceiver and the panic button, as well as existing avionics including the aircraft's master computer and autopilot. Optionally, a relay is coupled between the pilot controls and selected aircraft flight systems. The manager recognizes predetermined override inputs, such as activation of the panic button or receipt of override signals from the remote guidance facility. Responsive to the override input, the manager deactivates on-board control of selected aircraft flight systems and the autopilot system, and directs the autopilot to fly the aircraft to a safe landing. Flight routing and landing instructions are obtained from the remote guidance facility, or by self-evaluating nearby airports in view of the aircraft's position and various preestablished criteria

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Did the RAF shot down that Latvian freighter?

How many cargo planes have been hijacked after 9/11 ?
How many passenger planes have been hijacked after 9/11 ?
Numbers would be helpful as I'm curious but don't want to search myself.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Another fellow in suspended animation not knowing how a hijack alert is activated.

And adding to the bandwidth with meanderings of the uninitiated.

Notwithstanding, the RAF action was right as it is the SOP for any unidentified hostile object approaching the sovereign airspace.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

When AQ did 9/11, the airport security was not that tight as it is now.

Then there are mechanisms in the aircraft that indicates that terrorists have taken over.

In an anti-hijacking system for autopilot equipped aircraft, a transceiver communicates with at least one remote guidance facility. A panic button is activated by flight crew in case of hijacking. A manager is coupled to the transceiver and the panic button, as well as existing avionics including the aircraft's master computer and autopilot. Optionally, a relay is coupled between the pilot controls and selected aircraft flight systems. The manager recognizes predetermined override inputs, such as activation of the panic button or receipt of override signals from the remote guidance facility. Responsive to the override input, the manager deactivates on-board control of selected aircraft flight systems and the autopilot system, and directs the autopilot to fly the aircraft to a safe landing. Flight routing and landing instructions are obtained from the remote guidance facility, or by self-evaluating nearby airports in view of the aircraft's position and various preestablished criteria

If you are official in charge of securing the skies over London that time, would you have taken the same drastic precaution? You'll be very irresponsible not to given the experience with 911 and recent threats from ISIS.

What caused the hysteria from the event was the sonic boom that was heard over Kent when the Typhoon jets were allowed to reach the unidentified aircraft at supersonic speeds. People on the ground naturally panicked since it was not something known before-hand or something that usually happens (I think RAF jets ordinarily are not allowed to go supersonic over populated areas). On the part of the RAF, the drastic measure was justified given the urgent need to reach the unidentified aircraft before it comes close to areas in London that would most likely be targeted by terrorists. A visual identification and inspection of the aircraft in the soonest time was very important at the time.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Another fellow in suspended animation not knowing how a hijack alert is activated.

And adding to the bandwidth with meanderings of the uninitiated.

Read the Daily Mail Online article I posted earlier, the expert interviewed there said that they RAF have to fear the worst.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Read the Daily Mail Online article I posted earlier, the expert interviewed there said that they RAF have to fear the worst.
So did the Russians for KAL 007 fear the worst; and the threat was Regan's speeches, SDI and nuclear war threat (as I appended in that thread with links from Western sources including the CIA, which is the US Intelligence Agency, in case you have forgotten).

China rammed the US spy plane over the Hainan Island, only because it was attempting to spy.

So, military apprehensions does create odd situations that the average civilian person cannot rationally fathom.

and instead go into disorganised mental disarray and debates without a clue as to what happened, why and what for.

Last edited:

apple

This "hysteria" is being reported by RT... Glad to see Russia's gotten over Beslan and doesn't consider terrorism a legitimate concern.

How many cargo planes have been hijacked after 9/11 ?
How many passenger planes have been hijacked after 9/11 ?
Numbers would be helpful as I'm curious but don't want to search myself.
How many major attacks on Indian civilians by terrorists coming across the border from Pakistan have happened since 2008?

How was the RAF to know who was piloting the errant plane?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

So did the Russians for KAL 007 fear the worst; and the threat was Regan's speeches, SDI and nuclear war threat (as I appended in that thread with links from Western sources including the CIA, which is the US Intelligence Agency, in case you have forgotten).
What worst did the Russians have to fear from KAL 007? Are you saying that they thought that the KAL Boeing 747 was converted into a nuclear bomber and was carrying B61s on a bombing run against the USSR? Only the most idiot would entertain that thought. The Americans have a multitude of military planes that can accurately and safely lunch nukes into targets deep inside Soviet territories from stand-off distances. They would certainly not send somebody on a suicide mission to nuke Russian targets using a lumbering civilian jumbo jet...

Please take a vacation for a while my friend. That will do you wonders. I suggest Casa del Mar... :thumb:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

This "hysteria" is being reported by RT... Glad to see Russia's gotten over Beslan and doesn't consider terrorism a legitimate concern.

How many major attacks on Indian civilians by terrorists coming across the border from Pakistan have happened since 2008?

How was the RAF to know who was piloting the errant plane?
Is it too difficult to understand what I'm asking ?
Here it is again: Why does the Western media without any credible evidence bring up the Russia bogeyman.
Point to me, if you can, one post in this thread where I said the RAF did something wrong.

And this hysteria you say is only on RT ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-cargo-plane-cause-huge-sonic-boom-Kent.html
In the above article, they say 7 times Russian-made when in fact this plane was made by a company in present day Ukraine.
The video in above article clearly and incorrectly says Flight path of "Russian Jet" which is plain BS.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-29823148
The above BBC article also uses the incorrect term Russian made jet, trying to send subtle messages as though it is a Russian plane.
These are not mistakes, these are obviously deliberate.
------
Also I'm actually genuinely curious as to put some figures, on the number of cargo planes/passenger planes hijacked after 9/11. @asianobserve if you have the numbers please provide it.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

What worst did the Russians have to fear from KAL 007? Are you saying that they thought that the KAL Boeing 747 was converted into a nuclear bomber and was carrying B61s on a bombing run against the USSR? Only the most idiot would entertain that thought. The Americans have a multitude of military planes that can accurately and safely lunch nukes into targets deep inside Soviet territories from stand-off distances. They would certainly not send somebody on a suicide mission to nuke Russian targets using a lumbering civilian jumbo jet...

Please take a vacation for a while my friend. That will do you wonders. I suggest Casa del Mar... :thumb:
It appears that either you are delusional or in a trance.

Revisit that thread and read what I have written about the geopolitical and geostrategic situation and the CIA report why USSR reacted the way that it did.

If you don't believe in the CIA, and you don't believe any other source, you are then floundering aimlessly and instead can be taken to be a troll.

You don't read, but go on with your blinker fitted disjointed and irrational polemic that is bereft of reality or comprehension of the situation.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Is it too difficult to understand what I'm asking ?
Here it is again: Why does the Western media without any credible evidence bring up the Russia bogeyman.
Point to me, if you can, one post in this thread where I said the RAF did something wrong.
------
Also I'm actually genuinely curious as to put some figures, on the number of cargo planes/passenger planes hijacked after 9/11.

Relax, the "Russian" was appended to the "aircraft" only to identify its source. It's like a report on the crash of MH17, all media organizations identified it as a Boeing 777 (no need to identify it as American since everybody knows Boeing is an American company). That the media got it so wrong, it turned out that the aircraft was not russian made, is besides the point.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles