U.S. Wrongly Demonizes Iran, Ignores Nuclear Weapons Countries India, Pakistan, Israe

Country flag
U.S. Wrongly Demonizes Iran, But Ignores Nuclear Weapons Countries India, Pakistan, and Israel @PolicyMic | Karl Lindemann

U.S. foreign policy is obsessed with demonizing Iran. It has been since the pro-American Shah was popularly overthrown in 1979. From instigating wars to military attacks and the present economic sanctions, the American government seems hell-bent on punishing a society who revolted against a pro-American despot. Our latest move — the economic sanctions — is ostensibly in direct response to Iran's continued pursuit of nuclear technology. However, given the very low likelihood of an Iranian preemptive attack, and other countries that pose more of a potential threat to international peace, the U.S. should be focusing its nonproliferation efforts elsewhere.

As with any country that is attempting to develop its nuclear technology, Iran should be monitored. But the current U.S. policies are completely unwarranted. Iran has not preemptively attacked another country in over a century, and has made no indications that it plans to change this pattern anytime soon. The Iranian government understands it is vastly outmatched by the U.S. and Israeli armed forces, which would pose an existential threat to Iran in any armed conflict. Much of the war mongering in the media, which as of late has switched from "if" to "when" Israel will attack Iran, points to the oft-quoted line by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in which he said Israel should be "wiped off the map." However, what Ahmadinejad said in Persian was actually meant to imply that the Israeli regime should be dismantled, a far cry from all-out war.

Instead of focusing on Iran, the U.S. should pragmatically turn its eye to three nuclear powers that have not signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT): Israel, India, and Pakistan. In contrast with Iran, Israel has started a number of wars, including two within the last six years. While it has been attacked, most notably during the October War of 1973, Israel is guilty of invading other countries on numerous occasions. During its last two wars alone, Israel killed around 2,000 civilians in Southern Lebanon and the Gaza Strip, not including its numerous isolated attacks on Gaza. And now, war drums are beating amongst the Israeli defense brass for its next offensive, targeting Iran. When one objectively looks at who will be more likely to use a nuclear device in the near future, Israel seems a more likely candidate.

Both India and Pakistan are also nuclear powers that are currently engaged in a bitter war of (mostly) words, mainly concerning the disputed territory of Kashmir. While there has not been serious conflict between these two countries in some time, they are two additional states with nuclear weapons that are not NPT signatories (the last is North Korea), and definitely warrant more concern and pressure from the U.S. government than does Iran.

If it wants to have a logically-consistent international policy in an effort to limit nuclear proliferation, it would make more sense for the U.S. to shift its focus towards the nuclear powers of Israel, India and Pakistan that have not signed the NPT, rather than Iran, which has signed the NPT, and whose nuclear weapons program is very much in doubt.

BangersAndMash

India, Pakistan and Israel do not, every few days, threaten to obliterate another nation. Iran is not unfairly demonized.
Agree about India & Israel, but not pak$hit$tanis, have you heard what retired Pak$hit military men say openly? Here's one example....

No doubt there are active army nutters in that crazy country!

Last edited by a moderator:

trackwhack

The author is a kid in nappies just outta college. And yeah right, India, Pakistan and Israel have no right to hold nukes. Only the US does. The only country to use one. :rolleyes:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The author is a kid in nappies just outta college. And yeah right, India, Pakistan and Israel have no right to hold nukes. Only the US does. The only country to use one. :rolleyes:
Well, we invented it.:-D

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Agree about India & Israel, but not pak$hit$tanis, have you heard what retired Pak$hit military men say openly? Here's one example....

No doubt there are active army nutters in that crazy country!
Yeah, I have my doubts about Pakistan, too.

ejazr

Ambassador
The only way Iran could "obliterate" Israel is by nukes which is doesn't have. And lets not forget that the first nuke reactors in Iran were put in place by the US as well.

And no sooner Iran launches a single nuke against Israel, it will be obliterated itself in a hail of Israeli and US nukes. So I don't think Iranians are so stupid to want this.

As the author Karl Lindeman says
"Much of the war mongering in the media, which as of late has switched from "if" to "when" Israel will attack Iran, points to the oft-quoted line by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in which he said Israel should be "wiped off the map." However, what Ahmadinejad said in Persian was actually meant to imply that the Israeli regime should be dismantled, a far cry from all-out war."

In otherwords, Iran wants a regime change in Israel. Just like the US/Israelis/Saudis e.t.c. want a regime change in Iran.

All in all, we just don't want another mess like Iraq when the real focus should be on Pakistan and Afghanistan. Not Iran.

Zoravar

Israel behaves like a neoghjbourhood bully regularly attacking other countries,when Iran gets a nuke they wont be able to.

amitkriit

Old report. Iran acquiring Nuclear Bombs is not in India's interest, but Iran getting destroyed is even worse. Iran must not bring it upon itself, for the sake of it's own people.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
India, Pakistan and Israel do not, every few days, threaten to obliterate another nation. Iran is not unfairly demonized.
Pakistan is the only country which has nukes and ALSO threatenes to nuke other country(India) every now and then.
Iran issues warning statements often too by "Wiping off Israel from the map" even when it has no operational nukes.
So if these countries are taken as a threat by US or anyone else there is nothing wrong.

amitkriit

Pakistan is the only country which has nukes and ALSO threatenes to nuke other country(India) every now and then.
Iran issues warning statements often too by "Wiping off Israel from the map" even when it has no operational nukes.
So if these countries are taken as a threat by US or anyone else there is nothing wrong.
We need to be concerned about the Indian interest here. This is just one of the many issues where India and Pakistan need to cooperate. We don't want others to benefit from our troubles, do we? I don't think Uncle Sam is doing whatever he/she is doing for world peace. International relations are volatile, and we need to cooperate with our worst enemies, if that is the demand of the moment. Memories of old colonial era is still fresh in our brain.

Iran can make statements to divert attention, but international business isn't run on the basis of emotions. Which country was arming Pakistan since it's inception? USA I guess.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I dont know about others but id rather iran have nukes instead of suicidal pakis. Ideally none should have nukes expect India but that is different matter.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Comparing India which never wanted or claimed to destroy any nation with Iran is absurd. I think some reporters are either biased or dumb and uneducated as fu(k.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I will say that every time Iran makes a threat, it is more likely to be considered newsworthy here than one by Pakistan. That's just an impression I have.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I will say that every time Iran makes a threat, it is more likely to be considered newsworthy here than one by Pakistan. That's just an impression I have.
So what's the reason that Iran is able to impress US more than Pakistan regarding nukes?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
So what's the reason that Iran is able to impress US more than Pakistan regarding nukes?
My guess is that we know more about Pakistan and its nukes than we know about what is really happening with Iran and its nuclear development, and we have lived with the former threat for a longer time. (Not the same way India has lived with the threat, obviously!)

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Well, we invented it.:-D
so by your logic if the country "invents" nuclear weapons, it can hold it. Hmmmm. Then by the same logic we have the right to hold it too, considering we invented it ourselves, even if we did it thirty years after US did , or are you saying we developed it with the US HELP, meaning US proliferated the weapons technology(meaning they are hypocrites:):) )??? By any logic, we have the right to hold it as long as there are nukes around:):)

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
thats because your govt is in bed with the porkistan. I cant expect anythin different from you. Probably you may understand what it is like for us indians, if a Nuclear armed Mexico is demanding to occupy new mexico from you and threatens to nuke you if it fails to do so.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
thats because your govt is in bed with the porkistan. I cant expect anythin different from you. Probably you may understand what it is like for us indians, if a Nuclear armed Mexico is demanding to occupy new mexico from you and threatens to nuke you if it fails to do so.
Cuban missile crisis is a better example in this case which took the sleep of US. :scared1:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles