TYPE 214 SUB VS AMUR 1650 SUB A Layman's analysis

PLZ read the article before polling

• Total voters

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
the best conventional and the quietest subs are Swedish gotland SUBs The Stirling engine of this sub is near silent and can use the surrounding sea water as a heat sink to increase efficiency

HMS Gotland managed to snap several pictures of the USS Ronald Reagan during a wargaming exercise in the Pacific Ocean, effectively "sinking" the aircraft carrier.The exercise was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the US Fleet against diesel-electric submarines, which some have noted as severely lacking

Kockums were awarded the contract in March 1990 to build three Gotland Class submarines, Kockums is owned by HDW of Germany.

so any chance of HDW offering improved Gotland sub instead of Type 214 ??

SSK Gotland Class (Type A19) - Naval Technology

http://www.sesusa.org/submarine.pdf
HMS Gotland -Vs- USS Ronald Regan Strike Group - General Off-Topic - Simtropolis Forums

Meriv90

IF we are mentioning US simulation then the Type 212 got to "touching hulls" range without being noticed 5 years before the Gotland class ( means you have +5 years in development) in a simulation in 2001.

Can someone resume me how will look the IN sub force in the future? to understand what needs you are pursuing.

Zebra

Country flag
HMS Gotland.....

Laid down.............10 October 1992

Launched..............2 February 1995

Commissioned......1996

Zebra

Country flag
the best conventional and the quietest subs are Swedish gotland SUBs The Stirling engine of this sub is near silent and can use the surrounding sea water as a heat sink to increase efficiency

HMS Gotland managed to snap several pictures of the USS Ronald Reagan during a wargaming exercise in the Pacific Ocean, effectively "sinking" the aircraft carrier.The exercise was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the US Fleet against diesel-electric submarines, which some have noted as severely lacking

Kockums were awarded the contract in March 1990 to build three Gotland Class submarines, Kockums is owned by HDW of Germany.

so any chance of HDW offering improved Gotland sub instead of Type 214 ??

SSK Gotland Class (Type A19) - Naval Technology

http://www.sesusa.org/submarine.pdf

Kockums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prior to 1999, Kockums was controlled by the Swedish state through the company Svenska Varv AB.

However, in 1999, Kockums' main competitor on the submarine market, the German ship-building company HDW, acquired Kockums.

In 2005, HDW was bought by the German industrial conglomerate Thyssen Krupp.

Dhairya Yadav

I personally think that 214 is not good for India. Germans are known to slap sanctions on countries in wartime...Amur is from our old and best partner Russia, which will never sanction us. So, Amur should also be a good choice. Personally I think nothing beats Gotland class , but to my knowledge it is not competing in Project 75 I... IN should send a RFI though...

Last edited:

Bheeshma

IF tech from scorpene has been absorbed by MDL then just use that and make variants and upgrade with VLS plug in for nirbhay and brahmos.

Dhairya Yadav

IF tech from scorpene has been absorbed by MDL then just use that and make variants and upgrade with VLS plug in for nirbhay and brahmos.
Because of DCNS lack of seriousness about Indian Scorpenes right now being made, they most likely have already lost P75I... Sad, scorpene is an awesome machine...

Dhairya Yadav

Indian is also said to be interested in the much bigger Type 216 , which will displace 4000 tons . Quite large for a Diesel-Electric Sub.

Does anybody know when its design will be finalized and when can it be ordered?

Other countries, mainly Australia and Canada are also interested to procure it.

Specs-
Disp- 4000 tons

Range- >10000 Nautical miles

Endurance- >80 days

Armament- Torpedoes, VLS

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
Indian is also said to be interested in the much bigger Type 216 , which will displace 4000 tons . Quite large for a Diesel-Electric Sub.

Does anybody know when its design will be finalized and when can it be ordered?

Other countries, mainly Australia and Canada are also interested to procure it.

Specs-
Disp- 4000 tons

Range- >10000 Nautical miles

Endurance- >80 days

Armament- Torpedoes, VLS
It will be similar like type 218 SSK. If I am not wrong.

HDW Class 218 / Type 216 �Concept Submarine�

Singapore's Type-218SG – Forerunner of a new Submarine Class? | Defense Update:

SilentKiller

Country flag
I know the this place might be wrong, but we should not go for both.
We should go Scorpene subs only, as we will have infrastructure and good know how to build them, we should get them only.
It will be cheaper too in long run..

gaurav96

Maverick
Didnt Greeks and Koreans had issues with type 214 or was it a different HDW Submarine?

Spectre

Country flag
Does the type 214 sub have a magnetic hull or a nonmagnetic hull like the u212 . that is to evade detection from MAD( magnetic anomaly detection equipment ) .

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
when you see the specs and you know when its opposing submarine is russain based you know what to choose

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Amur1650Graphic.png

We should go for the Amur 1650 because it seems to be pretty good. Also the Russians have said that it we select this Submarine under Project 75 I than they will give us Complete TOT(Transfer of Technology) of this Submarine and also we will be getting IP Rights of this Submarine which means we will be able to build as many submarines as we want and we won't have to pay the Russians any type of licence fees etc. I don't think so we will go for a German Submarine because I have Heard in some reports that The Germans are unwilling to do as much TOT as required by the Tender. With regards to this tender I can guarantee only one thing and that is either the French or the Russian one will be selected. No south korean, No German, no Swedish etc but I repeat only either french or Russian Submarine!

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
India might go south Korean option which is a copy of type 214
South Korea is offering us the DSME-3000 which is a 3000 ton Variant of the KSS-III, KSS-III is not a copy of the Type 214 but rather it is a successor to the Son Won-il class (which is Type 214's licenced Manufactured Variant by south korea). Whatever experience SK got in license Manufacturing and TOT of Type-214, it was used in design of KSS-III. So please correct yourself, DSME-3000 is not a copy of Type-214.

Super falcon

Country flag
South Korean Hyundai may be selected for indian navy submarine programme news coming out from reliable source

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles