Two Somali Pirates Killed by Dutch Navy Frigate, 16 other Somali Pirates Captured

Someoneforyou

Dutch marines kill 2 pirates off Somali coast
4 April 2011

THE HAGUE, Netherlands — The Dutch defense ministry says its marines have killed two pirates and captured 16 in an operation to free a hijacked Iranian fishing boat off the coast of Somalia.

The ministry says in a statement marines from the frigate HMS Tromp opened fire on the pirates Sunday after they shot at two Dutch inflatable speed boats sent to investigate a suspicious fishing vessel.

Ten suspected pirates were captured as they tried to flee in a high-speed skiff and six more were detained on the fishing boat. The bodies of two suspected pirates killed in the firefight also were recovered on the boat.

Defense Ministry spokeswoman Marloes Visser said Monday the pirates, some of whom were injured in the shooting, were being questioned on board the Tromp.

Source: The Associated Press

Someoneforyou

HNLMS Tromp (F803):

HNLMS Tromp (F803) (Dutch: "Hr. Ms. Tromp") is a De Zeven Provinciën class frigate of the Royal Netherlands Navy. It was laid down in 1999, launched in 2001, and commissioned in 2003.

General characteristics:

Class and type: De Zeven Provinciën class frigate - Air-defense and command frigate

Displacement: 6,050 tonnes (full load)

Length: 144.24 m

Beam: 18.80 m

Draft: 5.18 m

Propulsion: 2 propeller shafts, controllable pitch propellers
2 Wärtsilä 16V6ST diesel engines, 8.4 MW each
2 Rolls Royce Spey SM1C gas turbines, 18.5 MW each
4 GEC Alsthom Paxman diesel-generators, 1650 kW each

Speed: 30 knots

Complement: 174 (202 incl. command staff)

Sensors and processing systems: 1 Thales Nederland SMART-L long-range air and surface surveillance radar

1 Thales Nederland APAR air and surface search, tracking and guidance radar (I band)
1 DECCA NAV navigation radar
1 Thales Nederland Scout (Low Probability of Intercept)surface search/navigation radar
1 Thales Nederland Sirius IRST long-range infrared surveillance and tracking system
1 Thales Nederland Mirador optical surveillance and tracking system
1 Atlas Elektronik DSQS-24C hull-mounted sonar, medium frequency
1 MK XII IFF system

Electronic warfare and decoys: 1 Thomson Racal (now Thales) Sabre ECM suite
4 Sippican Hycor SRBOC MK36 launcher
1 AN/SLQ-25 Nixie torpedo decoy

Armament: 5×8 Mk41 vertical launch system with 8 cells each

Standard armament: 8×4 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile and 32 SM-2 IIIA surface-to-air missiles

Another 8 cell MK41 VLS can be added

2 Goalkeeper CIWS guns
2 quadruple Harpoon anti-ship missile launchers
1 Oto Melara 127 mm/54 dual-purpose gun
2 Oerlikon Contraves 20 mm machine guns
2 twin MK32 Mod 9 torpedo launchers with Raytheon MK46 Mod 5 torpedoes

Aviation facilities: Hangar and flight deck for 1 AgustaWestland Lynx or NH-90 helicopter

Last edited:

Blackwater

Iam proud of my country where i born India and Iam proud of my country where i live Holland. Keep up the good work.

Someoneforyou

File Video: Royal Netherlands Navy Air-defence and command frigate HNLMS Tromp (F803):

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles