Turkey cancels $3.4 billion missile deal with China

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
PTI

Turkey has cancelled a multi-billion-dollar deal with China to build its first anti- missile system that had alarmed Ankara's allies in NATO, a Turkish official said on Sunday.

"The deal was cancelled," the official from Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu's office told AFP.

"One of the main reasons is that we will launch our own national missile project," added the official.

The news came as Turkey hosted key Western allies including US President Barack Obama but also Chinese leader Xi Jinping for the summit of G20 top economies in the Mediterranean resort of Antalya. Turkey entered negotiations in 2013 with the China Precision Machinery Export-Import Corporation (CPMIEC) to finalise a contract worth $3.4 billion (3 billion euros).

French-Italian consortium Eurosam and US-listed Raytheon Co had also submitted offers but the government had prioritised talks with the Chinese company, which raised serious concerns over the compatibility of CPMIEC's systems with NATO missile defences.

NATO has said missile systems within the alliance must be compatible with each other while calling on Turkey to take this factor into account. Turkish government sources said an official announcement was expected next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sameet2

@Yusuf tag our some chinese friends so this thread can get some serious limelight !

Sameet2

@Yusuf tag our some chinese friends so this thread can get some serious limelight !

BATTLE FIELD

Battle Captain
yes.. instead of buying these cheap copy chini system.
turkey should make their own (and it will be far better than copied chini defected maal).

lets see what happens.

Sameet2

turkey should make their own (and it will be far better than copied chini defected maal).

lets see what happens.
let turks get it cause they deserves it . Those isis supporter need sanction on them for sure .

BATTLE FIELD

Battle Captain
let turks get it cause they deserves it . Those isis supporter need sanction on them for sure .
if turkey buys it then it will be a huge success for the copy cat chini defence market.

no smoking

Country flag

lets see what happens.
Feeling jealousy because India got nothing to show?
Good, keep laughing, you will have more Chinese system to laugh in the future.

Illusive

Country flag
I am surprised that China even with their huge budget and defence industry are failing to sell important systems to other small nation, well pakistan is the exception but what other choice do they have. Even Argentina rejected their birds for a 2nd hand Kaffir from Israel and this being the latest instance. Embarrassing really.

Compersion

Country flag
Normally when PRC has loose of face like that they repay in kind. Normally when PRC is downgraded in its stature they combine with others to make the target suffer. It is not also a PRC weapon system it is Chinese and PRC needs to protect face of not only PRC but Chinese people and a massive termination clause would have been placed if they were smart.

no smoking

Country flag
Normally when PRC has loose of face like that they repay in kind. Normally when PRC is downgraded in its stature they combine with others to make the target suffer. It is not also a PRC weapon system it is Chinese and PRC needs to protect face of not only PRC but Chinese people and a massive termination clause would have been placed if they were smart.
Total rubbish, no idea the Chinese of which universe you are talking about.
Business is business, obviously Chinese is not willing to satisfy every condition listed by Turkey, then the deal is off.
Simple is as that.

Compersion

Country flag
Total rubbish, no idea the Chinese of which universe you are talking about.
Business is business, obviously Chinese is not willing to satisfy every condition listed by Turkey, then the deal is off.
Simple is as that.
You mean say that PRC does not represent the Chinese race ?? Sure it is that simple if you say. Turkey kicked the PRC in the balls and without any fear.

Ethnic Tensions in Xinjiang Complicate China-Turkey Ties

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/w...in-xinjiang-complicate-china-turkey-ties.html

You will say the Turkey people are stupid they dont even know what PRC flag looks like !! And Business is business with such people.

(the more enlightened Chinese will notice that many Turks and Pakis share brotherly terms and relations).

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
You mean say that PRC does not represent the Chinese race ?? Sure it is that simple if you say. Turkey kicked the PRC in the balls and without any fear.

Ethnic Tensions in Xinjiang Complicate China-Turkey Ties

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/w...in-xinjiang-complicate-china-turkey-ties.html

You will say the Turkey people are stupid they dont even know what PRC flag looks like !! And Business is business with such people.

(the more enlightened Chinese will notice that many Turks and Pakis share brotherly terms and relations).
I said business is business. There is political issues between 2 countries, but there are more fields both countries can work together.

The fact that Chinese refused to transfer the tech as Turkey required tells you that there is problem of "face" involve here.

I_PLAY_BAD

I said business is business. There is political issues between 2 countries, but there are more fields both countries can work together.

The fact that Chinese refused to transfer the tech as Turkey required tells you that there is problem of "face" involve here.
Your country will copy the tech from others but it won't transfer it ? What a joke ?
As if China developed the tech on its own. Man !!!

sabari

Feeling jealousy because India got nothing to show?
Good, keep laughing, you will have more Chinese system to laugh in the future.
Well China is the only country which consider copying other as the national pride .change you name from peaple lebration to copy write lebration because you are so busy and success full in it

Compersion

Country flag

you mean that the tender was won because of favorable cheap terms offered that included a package on tech transfer and when it came to implementation the execution was below expectations. -> the face of the business model for PRC to others??

there also was a thread when PRC won the tender and how everyone was pleased because of this business for PRC and how it defeated "others". i will admit myself was impressed.

why the Turks burning the flag with a nation that is supposed to be its strong (defence) business partner. the turks have given the PRC name a beating. not only politically but defence relationship they USED you buddy. the celebratory measures needs to be reviewed. you dont ditch a business deal unless there is strong conviction and benefit of that recourse. PRC will loose more face if they think it was only business. The Turks might have used this to even look inside the PRC systems and share it with others. The Turks have a strong relations with Pakistan and that is not only business but political!! this is not a good example for PRC to allow others to follow and with people like you saying all is well. only saying the reality and wish you are able to see that.

Also:

In case you are not able to understand the Pakistan point of view:

“[Yahya Khan] conveyed President Nixon's proposal for sending an envoy to China to meet Zhou En-lai or some other Chinese leader to discuss problems between the two countries,” Mohammed Khan said.

http://www.ibtimes.com/richard-nixo...ow-they-changed-history-ended-pariahs-1374435

The Pakis are supposed to assist the PRC with nations that they have good relations and connections. Why Pakis watching by when the PRC and Turks doing such business. They were well pleased when PRC won the tender also.

Is it fact also the truth that Pakis are double gaming PRC because of the Xinjiang issue and wanting to have both their feet on two boats. Another LOSS OF FACE.

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
you mean that the tender was won because of favorable cheap terms offered that included a package on tech transfer and when it came to implementation the execution was below expectations. -> the face of the business model for PRC to others??
That is the detailed negotiation after you choose the winner. Just like what happened in India's Rafael deal: both sides make some change in their terms, which leads to the failure eventually.

there also was a thread when PRC won the tender and how everyone was pleased because of this business for PRC and how it defeated "others". i will admit myself was impressed.
Well, that news was 2013, today is 2015. This kind of deal always involves political and strategic calculation, not simple the consideration of price or tech.

why the Turks burning the flag with a nation that is supposed to be its strong (defence) business partner. the turks have given the PRC name a beating. not only politically but defence relationship they USED you buddy. the celebratory measures needs to be reviewed. you dont ditch a business deal unless there is strong conviction and benefit of that recourse. PRC will loose more face if they think it was only business. The Turks might have used this to even look inside the PRC systems and share it with others. The Turks have a strong relations with Pakistan and that is not only business but political!! this is not a good example for PRC to allow others to follow and with people like you saying all is well. only saying the reality and wish you are able to see that.

Also:

In case you are not able to understand the Pakistan point of view:

“[Yahya Khan] conveyed President Nixon's proposal for sending an envoy to China to meet Zhou En-lai or some other Chinese leader to discuss problems between the two countries,” Mohammed Khan said.

http://www.ibtimes.com/richard-nixo...ow-they-changed-history-ended-pariahs-1374435

The Pakis are supposed to assist the PRC with nations that they have good relations and connections. Why Pakis watching by when the PRC and Turks doing such business. They were well pleased when PRC won the tender also.

Is it fact also the truth that Pakis are double gaming PRC because of the Xinjiang issue and wanting to have both their feet on two boats. Another LOSS OF FACE.
I know you hate Pakistan very much, but it is really not necessary to get Pakistan involved in every single issue.

Compersion

Country flag
That is the detailed negotiation after you choose the winner. Just like what happened in India's Rafael deal: both sides make some change in their terms, which leads to the failure eventually.

Well, that news was 2013, today is 2015. This kind of deal always involves political and strategic calculation, not simple the consideration of price or tech.

I know you hate Pakistan very much, but it is really not necessary to get Pakistan involved in every single issue.
I do appreciate the measured response and your approach.

I will believe you that all is well in PRC and turkey relations and Pakistan is no where to be seen. pRC has not lost any face and I'll feelings.

Mubarak.

no smoking

Country flag
I will believe you that all is well in PRC and turkey relations
When did I say that all is well in PRC and Turkey relations? This is certainly a setback of the Sino-Turkey relationship. But it is not a big one because these 2 countries are not alliance, so there is no long-term relationship to damage. It is purely a business relationship: both side come to the deal for their own interest--Turkey wants to build their own defence industry by the TOT in this purchase while Chinese wants to expand their weapon market.

and Pakistan is no where to be seen. pRC has not lost any face and I'll feelings.
There is no such thing called "face" in PRC's political dictionary.

Compersion

Country flag
When did I say that all is well in PRC and Turkey relations? This is certainly a setback of the Sino-Turkey relationship. But it is not a big one because these 2 countries are not alliance, so there is no long-term relationship to damage. It is purely a business relationship: both side come to the deal for their own interest--Turkey wants to build their own defence industry by the TOT in this purchase while Chinese wants to expand their weapon market.

There is no such thing called "face" in PRC's political dictionary.
i will not be going into the deal and why would PRC sell such weapon systems to a country that it does not consider close. perhaps this signals they are not close and especially with the Xinjiang issue.

you know if i came to your house and you welcome me with open arms and said you will buy my merchandise. i promised to give you knowledge on that merchandise and its use. you even tell me you wont buy from elsewhere and other neighbors and the street hears about it. it makes me look good. we hug and have a big cheers and even some nuts on the side. i am still in your house and you suddenly say you dont want to buy it. whatever you like to call it but the "face" of our relationship has been harmed. when i step outside the house what others would look at me like. it is a loss of "face". and i even had a middle man (pakistan) to help me but they chose to be pakis. in fact staying in your house like that is a bit awakward no ??

but you say there is no such thing called "face" in PRC political dictionary:

http://www.rappler.com/nation/113715-aquino-encounters-xi-li-china

I think what you are trying to say is people and even common and peasants of PRC have no say in this PRC political dictionary and this "face" but the inner circle of the leaders of PRC does!! And Xi Jingping recent efforts after Tianjing blast but suddenly two in a row -> Turkey and now Philippines. are there more to follow ...

How to define the PRC "face"- with others:

Stiff and unsure what is happening and walk in a straight line and even with a part of the country to the right to help in case of emergency:

It should be more like royalty and respect and aristocratic:

Perhaps it should be more down-to-earth and cute:

Perhaps it should be disaster management:

Perhaps it should be SKY WORTHY:

Perhaps it should be SPECIAL:

I personally like to see it from different point of view:

(laugh but it has deeper meaning)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles