Tragic Tale of a Pakistani Vegetarian

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Actually there is more propaganda by Veggies against non veg eaters.

Historically they have even framed laws to forcibly convert Nonvegetarians to Vegetarianism. The case to day is not different there are some veggies who are trying to impose the Vegetarian diet in the garb of cruelty against animals.
I disagree, vegetarians are little more pro active these days but for good cause otherwise non-vegetarians have been more encouraging people and pushing others to eat meat with some non scientific health boosting blah blahs. Also they pretend bravado because they eat meat and mock vegetarians most of the time.

If you don't believe me then lurk in Shout box quite often. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

lemontree

Professional
I am a vegetation who learnt Taekwondo after matriculation for 2-3 years, has professional qualification from both India and overseas, doing highest end job, runs-jog 3 miles a day, swim 200 meters 3 heats freestyle, 50 meter, back and butterfly stroke 1-2 heat on weekends, 5,11' tall with strong body and great stable married life. Never ate meat, egg, fish, drank wine/whiskey, cigarette at all. All blood parameter normal, long curly hairs and healthy skin. My all younger brothers are vegetarian and all are taller than me.

I mean what advantage a non-vegetarian would have upon me, would like to try Hand wrestling, anyone ? Bring it on.

PS: Sorry for boastful rant but I felt like busting some myths.
Your strength is because of your physical exercise and not because you are a vegetarian.
meat, egg, fish, drank wine/whiskey, cigarette at all.
Come on you must have some vices.....

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I disagree, vegetarians are little more pro active these days but for good cause otherwise non-vegetarians have been more encouraging people and pushing others to eat meat with some non scientific health boosting blah blahs. Also they pretend bravado because they eat meat and mock vegetarians most of the time.
Google Paleo Diet :lol:

Your strength is because of your physical exercise and not because you are a vegetarian.
Punjab de pani da kamaal :laugh:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
If Calories in - Calories out ( in a negative nitrogen balance environment ) is positive it will result in Fat Gain.

PS : If there is a stimulus, positive nitrogen balance and adequate insulin sensitivity then partitioning of calories can occur.

PPS: some doctor can chime in here ?
Your answer is appreciated but Heinz needs to answer this and we don't have to dig in sooooo deep to the molecular level to understand this simple question.
I needed a simple answer here and not the scientific one.Just wanted to check how much we all know about this basic fact.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod

Come on you must have some vices.....
Sir,

I am trying to to dig more material on this and I have to relax my stance on this debate.

You are very correct, exercise is most important than diet. To live a normal healthy life one can live on absolute vegetarian diet but for high demanding physical jobs non vegetarian diet does help.

Vices...

After eating meat (not deeply fried) humans become more calm and its a scientific study. I may be less calmer (to be honest) :confused: :p

HeinzGud

Country flag
Your answer is appreciated but Heinz needs to answer this and we don't have to dig in sooooo deep to the molecular level to understand this simple question.
I needed a simple answer here and not the scientific one.Just wanted to check how much we all know about this basic fact.
well i didn't know.............. happy!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir,

I am trying to to dig more material on this and I have to relax my stance on this debate.

You are very correct, exercise is most important than diet. To live a normal healthy life one can live on absolute vegetarian diet but for high demanding physical jobs non vegetarian diet does help.

Vices...

After eating meat (not deeply fried) humans become more calm and its a scientific study. I may be less calmer (to be honest) :confused: :p
something to do with tryptophan content or multivitamins ?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
One should have both because it is balanced diet rather than only eating vegetables or meat.

i have seen bengalis claiming to be pure vegetarians and then feasting on fish :rofl:
Brahmins in Bengal eat only fish. They consider FISH to be sacred.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The Bengali Brahmin

I am one, and so is my dad. What's so special about them anyways?
While I was in India I never realized their speciality. Maybe I didn't ponder over it.
It came to my attention in a strange way.

I was at lunch with my colleagues from work. One of my American team mates saw me sitting down with a aromatic chicken dish. He stared at me hard, gauging me and my food choice. Minutes of mental calculations later, he opened his mouth with a grin.

"You must be a non-higher class Indian!", he said confidently.
"Excuse me?" I asked indignant. My Brahmin blood pressure started rising.
"You are eating chicken. I know all higher class Indian dudes are veggies. You are not. I have even spotted you with sushi rolls. So I did some smart deductions and placed you in the appropriate Indian class structure!" He seemed rather pleased with himself for his sleuth prowess.
I had to correct this American dude. An education and an enlightenment was in need.

I began my discourse, much on the same lines as the first Brahmin pundit might have started off teaching a bunch of no-good disciples in his Gurukul. There were no gigantic banyan trees shadowing us but it was no less profound.

A commonly held belief among people I encountered here was that Indians are vegetarians. How Indians survived on no meat diet was a point of curiosity. Obviously when asked the Indians replied stating religion and higher caste. Brahmins all over India are strict vegetarians. (Some younger generation ones might not be practicing it.) However that is not true for my dear old Bongland.

In Kolkata every Brahmin kid grows up on "machher jhol" and "bhaat", the traditional rice and fish curry. We are famous for our "eeesh!" (popularized by Aishwarya in Devdas), our "feeeesh" and our beloved "eeleesh"!(Hilsa or Salmon)
Chicken is the first runner-up. We love them too. Every Sunday my mother used to prepare the awesome aromatic chicken curry in our ancient Prestige Pressure Cooker.

Perhaps she had received it as one of her wedding gifts. Giving Pressure Cookers as wedding gift item was extremely popular in my part of the country. A couple who forgot to mention "no gifts" in the wedding invite ended up with atleast a dozen 12 liter cookers. Left in this predicament with scanty kitchen space, the couples had to resort to re-cycling. Going green has always been an Indian initiative, albeit unrecognized. They re-gifted the pressure cookers to other unsuspecting couples. Care had to be taken to ensure the exact same model wasn't given back. A cautious shuffling ensued.
People soon got wind of this pressure cooker musical chair. They re-invented the gift. Pressure cookers appeared as gift items – with a minor change. Names of the newlyweds and the gift-ers were deeply engraved in metal! Aha! No more cookers coming back now! This had a bi-directional impact.
My parents were stuck with the ancient cooker and couples about to wed ensured they wrote "NO GIFTS (especially cookers!)"

Fish, chicken and rice being the staple diet of every Brahmin kid and elderly person, there is little room to practice vegetarianism. Some Bengali Brahmins refused to give up though. The love of fish superseded the love for chicken. They became neo-veggies. They ate fish and called themselves Vegetarians. That only served to befuddle the other Brahmins from other states of India when they invited or got invited over to dinner parties by these neo-veggies. These new age Bengali Brahmins have also got a word for themselves – peskiterians.

I wonder what started the first Brahmin off on the path of chicken and fish in Kolkata. Common sense dictates availability of food choices over religious practices. The first Brahmin sat wondering at his options by the Bay of Bengal.
"Was it better to eat the delectable yellow mustard curry of this soft boned Salmon or was it better to never think of them while others devoured them around me?" Of course it was tough not to think of them. They were prancing everywhere – from the oceans, to the fishing nets, to the harbor, to the stinky markets to the dinner plates! It would be hard to live in denial, hence acceptance set in. Brahmins in Bengal started off on fish. Chicken followed in soon after.

Fish is considered auspicious in Bengal. My grandmother used to call upon the goddess Durga in her own way – "dugga dugga" and added "doi mach" (yogurt fish) along with it whenever we left home on a journey. The combination of yogurt and fish is not a dish. It is a combination of two auspicious items taken in one breath. To make it doubly good and really auspicious!

Fish shows up in weddings as well. Huge sized fish are exchanged between the groom and the bride. These are decorated with sandalwood, red netted veil and sometimes even ornamented. They symbolize a "fresh" beginning to a new life. Care is taken to buy the biggest catch of the day, early in the morning the "totto" (gift sets) are sent off to the groom's side.

All these illustrations later, I asked my colleague,
"I am of the highest caste (not that it matters) with a fish- and-chicken diet. Did you get it?"
He looked at me confused.
"Fine so you aren't a practicing Brahmin, that's all. I get it!"

I gave up. For a moment I sensed the frustration the Brahmin Guru might have felt when elaborate examples failed to penetrate the thick head of one of his students. At least he had the luxury of "beth" (long stick) to spank his point in. I had to content myself with a sigh and an extra large spoonful of chicken breast.

http://learning-along.blogspot.com/2010/08/bengali-brahmin.html

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
susil kumar takes steroids, look at his traps..

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^ you sir win the Arthur Schopenhauer award of the day.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

I Rest my case too...:namaste:
Are you trying to prove that the difference between two is because of their diet primarily? :lol:

The below legendrey woman aged 57 is a veggi needs no introduction and.....
]Rekha (I) - Biography[/U]

.....and the below famous legend of all time and hardcore meat eater and muscle man who needs no introduction as well.

I rest my case too since I am not going to dig in more examples on internet to counter your intelligent claims :lol:

pmaitra

One should have both because it is balanced diet rather than only eating vegetables or meat.

i have seen bengalis claiming to be pure vegetarians and then feasting on fish :rofl:
LOL, fish is non-vegetarian; although in Germany, fish and shrimps would fall under vegetarian.

In any event, even milk should be considered non-vegetarian because it contains animal protein. Therefore, paneer and other milk products also fall under non-vegetarian category.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Appears a bit fishy, right? ;)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles