Tragic Tale of a Pakistani Vegetarian

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The tragic tale of a Lahori vegetarian

The value of a society is usually gauged by the way they treat their minorities. Folks, I confess to being a minority. No, I am not a non-Muslim; I am not gay, or a lesbian; I am not an atheist, nor am I fat (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I am a vegetarian and I have spent most of my life answering stupid questions with uneasy looks and evasive answers. Questions like the following have often been put to me:

"Why aren't you eating anything baita (child), do you have a medical problem?"

or

"You don't eat red meat, that is all right. Have some chicken?"

I have had to laugh off jokes about me being 'born on the wrong side of the border' and 'born to the wrong parents'. I have left countless weddings, dinner parties and Eid get-togethers with an empty stomach. I have quoted facts and figures and even Dr Zakir Naik to argue against the assertion that you just can't live without consuming meat. I have frequently been diagnosed as someone who has 'nakhra' (attitude problem) or a phobia.

There are no exclusively vegetarian restaurants in Lahore, Islamabad or Peshawar. I haven't been to Karachi yet, so I can't say with accuracy if the same applies there. The maximum I can get at fast food restaurants is french fries – I can't even get a vegetarian burger like the fast food chains abroad offer. This is despite the fact that around 5% of Pakistanis are vegetarians (this is mostly speculative as no definite data is available). There is even a Pakistan vegetarian society whose primary objectives are to 'promote humanitarian, moral and nutritional aspects of vegetarianism'. There is a group on Facebook named "Pakistani Vegetarians" that has a grand total of 21 members.

According to blogger Maryam Arif:

"Being vegetarian in Pakistan is highly suspect, Indian-like; even though most Indians I know ask for beef kebabs first thing they come to Lahore. Yet in our minds vegetarian = Hindu = Indian = weak. The popular thinking is that meat gives us an edge over them grass-eaters across the border. Carnivores are stronger and taller; even light-complexioned than herbivores. Isn't that so? It has to be."

Amber Raheem Shamsie writes:

"In our culture, the not-eating of meat is considered a compulsion rather than a choice. Vegetarianism in Pakistani culture can be a rebellion."

As if living as a vegetarian was not difficult enough, living as a vegetarian in Lahore is even worse. It is a bit like blasphemy to live in Lahore and not eat meat. Lahoris are often offended when you tell them you are a vegetarian. It is an insult to their intelligence. How can anyone voluntarily give up the meat delicacies that constitute our cuisine? Surely you must crave Mohammadi nehari, behari kebab from Bundu Khan, seekh kebab, siri paye, macchi of mozang chungi and the mouth-watering abundance of Food Street.

I have decided that enough is enough. I am out of the closet now. I am sick of your siri paye, qormas, seekh kabab, gurday kapooray or whatever. It is my choice to willingly forsake such pleasures, so please stop pestering me.

I feel that our society is quite exclusionary i.e. we do not like people who are differ from the norm. We do not appreciate the value of minorities. We tend to like conformity more than dissent.

The tragic tale of a Lahori vegetarian – The Express Tribune Blog

ejazr

Ambassador
I know atleast two muslims who are pure vegetarians and they (atleast to me) put it down just to taste. One was a Pakistani from Multan and the other an Indonesian (although the Indonesia would take fish). Both for the the first in my life in Australia.

I must confess that I too was a bit suprised to hear that both of them were vegitarians and that too just because they didn't like the taste of meat.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I was a strict non vegetarian.

Yes, I rarely touched vegetables!

These days, I have no qualms in having a wee bit of vegetables.

It is like a palate cleanser!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I was a strict non vegetarian.

Yes, I rarely touched vegetables!

These days, I have no qualms in having a wee bit of vegetables.

It is like a palate cleanser!
One should have both because it is balanced diet rather than only eating vegetables or meat.

i have seen bengalis claiming to be pure vegetarians and then feasting on fish :rofl:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The blogger has presented his problem which appears to be worse than America where they give a beef as part of Veg burger and while flying you got to specify that you are Asian vegetarian !!

At least one gets vegetables and dal in Pakistan and Roties are not flavoured with meat.

Iamanidiot

Most muslims get scared of me because of my non-vegetarianism i eat too many varieties of meat without any distinctions

Param

Fruit Bat meat.

Bat Tracks | Down To Earth
These giant bats weigh about a kilogram, and their meat is considered a delicacy. There is also the belief that bat meat is capable of curing asthma. The population decline in the two colonies I was studying is an indication that hunting is beginning to take its toll on one of the largest bats in India. If this unscrupulous hunting continues, these intriguing bats will become locally extinct in many villages. There are widely reported instances of the drastic decline in population, even extinction, of certain species of fruit bats, due to hunting in Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands.
I had it only once in childhood. Tastes great with lots chilly powder. cooked outdoors near a forest.
But beware some varieties carry rabies.

Iamanidiot

Fruit Bat meat.

Bat Tracks | Down To Earth

I ate this at kaatpaadu but the preparation was a bit different

I had it only once in childhood. Tastes great with lots chilly powder. cooked outdoors near a forest.
But beware some varieties carry rabies.
I ate this at kaatpaadu but the preparation was a bit different.South India has got some great non-veg options

Param

Explain me more explain me more about it my mouth is watering
I don't remember much, but I loved it.

I guess it was bought from some traditional fowl hunters near Trichy back in the 90s. refer to the article.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
anyone got any good south Indian non-veg dishes/recipes excluding fish ? all we get here in north is dosa & sambar type food which doesn't fall on my good side.

Iamanidiot

anyone got any good south Indian non-veg dishes/recipes excluding fish ? all we get here in north is dosa & sambar type food which doesn't fall on my good side.
natu kodi?Kavujulu?wild boar?goat blood?goat intestine?cow udder you name it?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I prefer mutton and beef....not a big fan of chicken,pork,fish.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Why non-vegetarians tries to prove some point every time, even when its not relevant ?:rolleyes:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles