Toronto Hindus oppose Muslim prayers at school

ejazr

Ambassador
Ejar , just because population is 90 % Muslim does not mean they start this thing.
If that school is Canadian government school hen that should be stop. If this school is a local people property then they can do that. If this is going on for last 3 years then that not make it right also.
The point is that the Principal of the school wanted this to happen. He arranged a 30 minute period during lunchtime in the cafeteria hall.

Muslims DID NOT force this upon the school administration and DID NOT request this in the first place. It was the Principal's idea.

Have you read about any Muslim group saying that they WILL pray in the school no matter what?

Its a public school, the students used to go to the local mosque that was down the road during Friday lunch break. The principal felt that the time could be saved by having it in house. Now if tomorrow they say no prayers on school premises. That is what will happen and things will revert back how it was three years ago.

But to now say that somehow the Muslims are taking over Cannda, forcing their religion on non-muslims, dictating to the school authorities that this HAS to be done on school premises e.t.c is not only stretching the truth but falsifying it.

I gave you the antecedents of the advocacy group and I hope you understand where they are coming from. There could have been more constructive ways to say that they don't want muslim prayers in school like taking to the Principal or engaging the local muslim leaders itself. But the fringe group is more interested in the usual Muslim bashing. Here is a quote from the Globe and mail that was posted earlier

Hindu group criticizes Toronto school’s Muslim prayer sessions - The Globe and Mail
Canadian Hindu Advocacy often opposes Islam and Sikhism. During a speech at a 2010 rally for right-wing Dutch politician Geert Wilders, Mr. Banerjee said Islam is less a religion than an ideology, and that Islamic civilization had contributed "less to human advancement than a pack of donkeys."
Now after this, do you think Mr. Banerjee is taking up this cause in good conscience or just to bash Islam and Muslims?

bhogta

I am not supporting him, I even don't know him. But if i am there then i oppose because things start as option and then become law.

Blackwater

Complain why?

All bring religious leader. Have each do prayer. All happy.

Prayer first. School later.

Soul good mit Prayer.

Education no sure get job.

Angry mit school not.

Need then soul be good. Take shock.

Prayer No 1!
this not bloody pakistan but caneda.

public school not religious school.

no religious prayer in public school

out side they can do prayer on roads,in bus, on footpath, no probelm.

Dinku

out side they can do prayer on roads,in bus, on footpath, no probelm.
How?

Pray outside road footpath, stop traffic.

On bus pray stop passenger moving.

No idea good.

Islamic civilization had contributed "less to human advancement than a pack of donkeys."
Not nice say this.

Not good compare animals.

Man not good.

JayATL

First this is about separation of church and state that is also the law of the land in Canada. Since tax payer money funds these schools it is imperative, REGARDLESS of the motive's that no religion/ religious symbols, acts, prayers be allowed.

I do find it ironic that any Indian from India would ' lecture' Canadians though , when you have ridiculous laws that affect marriage or divorce or inhertiance depending on religion? is there not some stupid " Hindu marriage laws" ? i.e. You can't claim to be truely secular...

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Why should the students show off their religion like that in an educational institute? Canada has a uniform legal system. There are prayer timings for religions and ways of life of other communities as well. They don't pray showing off to the other people about how religious they are.

Schools are for equality and education. Naturally when such show off ceremony enmasse is done, not just mainstream Hindus but also others would oppose.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
The point is that the Principal of the school wanted this to happen. He arranged a 30 minute period during lunchtime in the cafeteria hall.

Muslims DID NOT force this upon the school administration and DID NOT request this in the first place. It was the Principal's idea.

Have you read about any Muslim group saying that they WILL pray in the school no matter what?

Its a public school, the students used to go to the local mosque that was down the road during Friday lunch break. The principal felt that the time could be saved by having it in house. Now if tomorrow they say no prayers on school premises. That is what will happen and things will revert back how it was three years ago.

But to now say that somehow the Muslims are taking over Cannda, forcing their religion on non-muslims, dictating to the school authorities that this HAS to be done on school premises e.t.c is not only stretching the truth but falsifying it.

I gave you the antecedents of the advocacy group and I hope you understand where they are coming from. There could have been more constructive ways to say that they don't want muslim prayers in school like taking to the Principal or engaging the local muslim leaders itself. But the fringe group is more interested in the usual Muslim bashing. Here is a quote from the Globe and mail that was posted earlier

Hindu group criticizes Toronto school’s Muslim prayer sessions - The Globe and Mail

Now after this, do you think Mr. Banerjee is taking up this cause in good conscience or just to bash Islam and Muslims?
That Principal shouldn't be the Principal of the school, he is simply ignoring the secularism. Students should go to school as students not as a Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Sikh. Rather he should have encouraged national anthem of Canada than Islamic prayers.

The fact that it was a practice for 3 years doesn't make any sense, wrong practices can be revoked anytime.

Last edited:

sanjay

First of all "Canadian Hindu Advocacy"is like a 10 member group that is routinely involved in anti-sikh and anti-muslim events in Canada. Canadian Hindu Advocacy Group Spreading Hatred Towards Sikhs and Muslims | Vancouver Media Co-op
What is the credibility of the source you're quoting? This guy Satnam Singh Sangra is a Punjabi-language schoolteacher - and he's not written about much else - what journalistic credentials does he have? He's not even located in Ontario - he's located on the other side of the country in British Columbia, near Surrey, which is pretty much the most pro-Khalistan place on the planet. So why would I trust what this guy has to say?

Ejaz, if you're going to quote pro-Khalistani sources, then you might as well start citing pro-Pakistani sources as well.

Last edited:

sanjay

That Principal shouldn't be the Principal of the school, he is simply ignoring the secularism. Students should go to school as students not as a Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Sikh. Rather he should have encouraged national anthem of Canada than Islamic prayers.

The fact that it was a practice for 3 years doesn't make any sense, wrong practices can be revoked anytime.
Public officials often bow to pressure from ethnic community groups, rather than risk their jobs.

The reality is that courts will have to be invoked in order to assert what they've already ruled on many times in the past - that the Education Charter does not support practice of religion in public schools.

When I see that girls and boys are being told to sit separately on public school property, and menstruating girls being told to sit at the back, I find this to be appalling. These types of activities should not be tolerated on public property.

There's something wrong with this picture. Why identify girls who are menstruating in a public school setting?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
:pound:

the height of ignorance!

one can quite clearly see they aren't praying so common sense dictates that you sit back and let others pray. and men and women pray differently. even now im staring at there ass so it isn't a stretch that that's the reason why women are seated behind so men don't only keep on staring rather than praying.

instead of hiding behind bushes why not come clean about your views on islam ?

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
What is the credibility of the source you're quoting? This guy Satnam Singh Sangra is a Punjabi-language schoolteacher - and he's not written about much else - what journalistic credentials does he have? He's not even located in Ontario - he's located on the other side of the country in British Columbia, near Surrey, which is pretty much the most pro-Khalistan place on the planet. So why would I trust what this guy has to say?

Ejaz, if you're going to quote pro-Khalistani sources, then you might as well start citing pro-Pakistani sources as well.
Are you denying the fact that he hasn't said or done anything anti-sikh ?

Asking for the journalists credentials and all is pussy footing around the core topic.

mayfair

First this is about separation of church and state that is also the law of the land in Canada. Since tax payer money funds these schools it is imperative, REGARDLESS of the motive's that no religion/ religious symbols, acts, prayers be allowed.

I do find it ironic that any Indian from India would ' lecture' Canadians though , when you have ridiculous laws that affect marriage or divorce or inhertiance depending on religion? is there not some stupid " Hindu marriage laws" ? i.e. You can't claim to be truely secular...
Have you bothered to read the contents of the Hindu marriage act as implemented in India?

Are you familiar with government funded schools in India where such things are routine?

Who is secular? The country which feels the need to put "In god we trust" on every damn quarter?

Get off yer high horse

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I think it has become quite "fashionable" for nri's to bash and look down upon India.

Reactions: nrj

sanjay

:pound:

the height of ignorance!

one can quite clearly see they aren't praying so common sense dictates that you sit back and let others pray. and men and women pray differently. even now im staring at there ass so it isn't a stretch that that's the reason why women are seated behind so men don't only keep on staring rather than praying.

instead of hiding behind bushes why not come clean about your views on islam ?
Hey genius, they're not being allowed to pray because they're menstruating. Some of these idiot Hindu temple priests also try to ban women for this reason! Since when is a normal biological function a sin - what justification is it for calling someone "unclean"?
That's just old-fashioned crap - which you obviously support. Why not come "clean" on your views on gender equality? You can't have it both ways.

Are you denying the fact that he hasn't said or done anything anti-sikh ?

Asking for the journalists credentials and all is pussy footing around the core topic.
Kaangress-wallah, show me where I've said I support this guy Ron Banerjee. But that doesn't mean I support any dumbass from Surrey who has his own anti-secular agenda. This guy Sangra also accused Liberal candidate Michael Ignatieff of being "pro-India" by not mentioning the genocide of Sikhs in 1984. Since when is being pro-India bad, and since when were 1984 riots supported by most Indians? 1984 riots were carried out by the Congress Party crooks, and they're the ones who should be prosecuted. I'm pro-India, and it doesn't mean I support the 1984 riots. I have plenty of Sikh relatives in my own family.

This guy Sangra is no journalist, he's just a sectarian fundamentalist himself. Why cite him as a legitimate source on anything? Why seek to give him that credibility?

sanjay

Here - let me quote Tarek Fatah in his own words:

Tarek Fatah says:
July 13, 2011 at 8:27 am011 at 8:27 am

Muslim women on this forum, who feel comfortable being treated as second class and defend being dumped in the back rows with barriers separating them from their superior 'brothers', need to know a simple fact about equity, equality and universal human rights:

"Girls should not be segregated on public school property and treated as inferior to boys, even if these girls desire such second class status by invoking a misogynist reading of Islam."

Today, many non-Arab Muslims have bought into the racial theory that they are second class to Arab Muslims and that this racial discrimination is divinely ordained. This belief in one's inferiority does not mean Canada's laws should respect such medieval nonsense.

In the the 1960s, Canadians brought an end to the Duplessis era in Quebec where the Catholic Church ruled the school system and moulded the minds of the students. Today, we cannot allow a mosque in Thornclifee area of Toronto to takeover a public school to control the minds of its Muslim students.
There you go, kiddies

JayATL

Have you bothered to read the contents of the Hindu marriage act as implemented in India?

Are you familiar with government funded schools in India where such things are routine?

Who is secular? The country which feels the need to put "In god we trust" on every damn quarter?

Get off yer high horse
huh- I know that religious laws are a part of the Indian legal system- hence that's not a secular country in the true sense.

and in god we trust- does not name a particular religion- now does it? it does not say in Jesus we trust-- although I'd prefer it if they did not have those words too- BUT I know the US constitution and laws have no religious preference other explicit laws that say no religious bias is allowed in the eyes of the law.

JayATL

I think it has become quite "fashionable" for nri's to bash and look down upon India.
it's fashionable for some to hold a cigar in their hand and pretend to be intellectual - while being blind to intellectual conversation or debate. Nothing I have said can be refuted- India cannot claim be secular in its true sense if it has laws( any/ single) that discriminate on the basis of religion.

mayfair

huh- I know that religious laws are a part of the Indian legal system- hence that's not a secular country in the true sense.
The so-called religious laws are limited to personal civil matters such as marriages, inheritance, family disputes etc. The DO NOT come into play if the matter is between communities or involves parties beyond the ambit of those laws. In criminal cases, personal laws are not applicable even if those involved are from the same community. The debate over a uniform civil code is an old one in India and one of the directive principles of the constitution says as much.

and in god we trust- does not name a particular religion- now does it? it does not say in Jesus we trust-- although I'd prefer it if they did not have those words too- BUT I know the US constitution and laws have no religious preference other explicit laws that say no religious bias is allowed in the eyes of the law.
Neither do Indian laws allow for any form of religious or communal bias. However, what happens in both the countries need not necessarily reflect the constitutional provisions.

mayfair

it's fashionable for some to hold a cigar in their hand and pretend to be intellectual - while being blind to intellectual conversation or debate. Nothing I have said can be refuted- India cannot claim be secular in its true sense if it has laws( any/ single) that discriminate on the basis of religion.
Please provide sources to back up your claims that there are laws which do so in Indian constitution.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles