Top 20 Misspelt Words

SpArK

SORCERER
Top 20 Misspelt Words

While young Indian kids are forever winning those Spelling Bee competitions in the USA, we are not sure how their counterparts in India or much older countrymen fare when it comes to every-day words. In Britain, the results of a recent study are interesting, as reported by the Telegraph which quotes a spokesman for market research company Market Research, Market Research Companies, Online Market Research: OnePoll, which carried out a study of 3,500 Britons as saying:

''There seem to be some words which we always struggle to get down onto paper, and 'separate' is one of those which eludes us.

''A common mistake many make is writing a word the way it sounds which leaves us muddling up one letter with another and getting it wrong.

''Fortunately, computers' spell-check corrects wrongly spelt words for us, but that means we become lazy and never learn the correct spelling.

''There's no excuse not to learn how words are formed - it's drilled into us from such a young age and if the words are frequently used we should make a conscious effort to get it right next time.

''The fact we judge other people's intelligence by their written word, yet don't like to be judged ourselves, means we should all pick up a dictionary once in a while.''

Top 20 misspelt words:

1. Separate
2. Definitely
3. Manoeuvre
4. Embarrass
5. Occurrence
6. Consensus
7. Unnecessary
8. Acceptable
9. Broccoli
10. Referred
11. Bureaucracy
12. Supersede
13. Questionnaire
14. Connoisseur
15. A lot
16. Entrepreneur
17. Particularly
18. Liquify
19. Conscience
20. Parallel

'Separate' is most commonly misspelt word - Telegraph

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I was once good at spellings.

Spell check ruined my happiness!

Last edited:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
I have misspelled each one of those words here on DFI, lol. If it weren't for spell check................

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The one misspelling I see the most is loose instead of lose. Spell check won't catch that.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Spelling accuracy is popular british hobby.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Most of my edits are because I have inadvertently used US English.

pmaitra

The one misspelling I see the most is loose instead of lose. Spell check won't catch that.
Why should the spell checker catch that?

[h=2]Definition of LOOSE[/h]1
a : not rigidly fastened or securely attachedb (1) : having worked partly free from attachments <a loosetooth> (2) : having relative freedom of movementc : produced freely and accompanied by raising of mucus <aloose cough>d : not tight-fitting

a : free from a state of confinement, restraint, or obligation<a lion loose in the streets> <spend loose funds wisely>b : not brought together in a bundle, container, or bindingc archaic : disconnected, detached

a : not dense, close, or compact in structure or arrangementb : not solid : watery <loose stools>

a : lacking in restraint or power of restraint <a loose tongue>b : lacking moral restraint : unchastec : overactive; specifically : marked by frequent voiding especially of watery stools <loose bowels>

a : not tightly drawn or stretched : slackb : being flexible or relaxed <stay loose>

a : lacking in precision, exactness, or care <loosebrushwork> <loose usage>b : permitting freedom of interpretation

: not in the possession of either of two competing teams <aloose ball> <a loose puck>

loose·ly adverb
loose·ness noun

Source:
Loose - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Also see: Lose vs Loose

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles