Timeless Tibetan Arts and Cultural<3

ShyAngel

Founding Member
Mahasiddha Ghantapa

Ghantapa was the son of the king of Nalanda, the city which housed the famous ancient monastic university. He renounced the throne however, and became a learned, celibate monk, taking up residence near Pataliputra, where ruled the king Devapala (r.ca. 809-849).
King Devapala was himself a pious and devout person. On hearing of the noted sage's arrival at the edges of his city, he asked the holy man to take up residence in his own royal palace, Ghantapa refused the king's request, proclaiming the latter to be a sinner. The king's repeated requests were of no avail, and this greatly incensed his royal highness. Feeling slighted, Devapala took upon himself to avenge his humiliation.

Accordingly, the king offered to give half his kingdom to anyone who could violate the sage's celibate status. A voluptuous courtesan named Darima took upon herself to accomplish this task. For this purpose, she enlisted the support of her twelve-year old virgin daughter, whose charming face, seductive gait, well-developed hips and nubile breasts caused even the sun to halt in its tracks whenever it lay its eyes upon her. Darima felt that her daughter's pronounced sensuality combined with her pristine purity would definitely help her achieve her goal.

The young girl, playing upon the monk's compassion, managed to snuggle inside his diminutive hut on the pretext of taking shelter in a stormy night. Inevitably, during the course of the night, their bodies touched and one thing led to another and they ultimately became lovers. The next morning Ghantapa asked her to remain with him as his consort. The girl agreed. As time progressed, the venerable one's own inherent purity cured the young lady's mind too of its defilements. And an year later a child was born to them.

King Devapala, meanwhile, had come to know of what had transpired between the two. With a large retinue, he confronted the sage, accusing him of a gross loss of conduct. The huge crowd supported the king with loud abuses hurled against Ghantapa. Finally, Ghantapa hurled both his son and the gourd of wine he was carrying on the ground. The earth trembled and split wide open, and a flood of water gushed forth.

Ghantapa's child was transformed into a thunderbolt and the jug of wine into a bell. Taking hold of one in each hand, Ghantapa along with his consort, rose into the air and there they were transformed into the deities Samvara and Vajravarahi, conjoined in the father-mother union. They hovered over the heads of the king and his supporters.

The waters rose higher and higher, threatening to consume both the king and his followers. As death seemed imminent, and all were on the point of drowning, the people prayed to Ghantapa for forgiveness. Their cries however were to no avail. Suddenly there appeared Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva of compassion. He placed his sacred foot over the crevice from where the flood was issuing and the waters immediately entered back into the earth.

Everyone was relieved. Prostrating themselves on the ground, they all asked for Ghantapa's forgiveness. In his message of forgiveness, Ghantapa gave the following profound message: ""Do not cultivate virtue and renounce vice. Rather, learn to accept all things as they arise. Penetrate the essence of each experience until you have achieved the one taste.""

Then he recited the following verse:

While medicine heals and poison kills,
Their ultimate essence is the same.
Both positive and negative qualities
Are aids on the path.
The sage rejects nothing.
Yet the unrealised fool
Five times poisoned
Is forever lost in sansara.
Here, Ghantapa is shown rising into the air, in intimate union with his consort. While his skin is of a slightly brown-hued texture, hers is a sensuous pink. The flooding waters dominate the lower panel of the painting. People with folded hands can be seen praying to Ghantapa for mercy. The benevolent Avalokiteshvara, at the lower left corner, has his foot planted over the crevice from which issues the flood.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Ofcourse or else they won't be in this thread!
What you are posting are Tibetan Gods not Buddhist Gods.
AFAIK, Buddhism does not hinge upon the concept of a Creator God but upon the personal practice of ethics, meditation, and wisdom.

Gods, like humans, are also suffering in samsara, the ongoing cycle of death and subsequent rebirth. Gods have not attained nirvana, and are still subject to emotions, including jealousy, anger, delusion, sorrow, etc. Thus, since a Buddha shows the way to nirvana, a Buddha is called "the teacher of the gods and humans" (Skt: śāsta deva-manuṣyāṇaṃ).

Nowhere in the Pali Canon, are Buddhas ascribed powers of creation, salvation and judgement. In fact, Buddhism is indifferent to all theories on the origin of the universe and holds the belief in creation as a fetter binding one to samsara. It is important to understand that the Buddha did not expressly say that creation did not occur or that there is no creator. Instead, Buddhist focus is on the effect the belief in theories of creation and a creator have on the human mind. The Buddhist attitude towards every belief is one of critical examination from the perspective of what effect the belief has on the mind and whether the belief binds one to samsara or not.
The Buddha declared that "it is not possible to know or determine the first beginning of the cycle of existence of beings who wander therein deluded by ignorance and obsessed by craving." Speculation about the origin and extent of the universe is generally discouraged in early Buddhism.

In Buddhism, there is no Supreme creator. Yet thoughts are the causes and conditions of the way we view the world.

ShyAngel

Founding Member
AFAIK, Buddhism does not hinge upon the concept of a Creator God but upon the personal practice of ethics, meditation, and wisdom.

Gods, like humans, are also suffering in samsara, the ongoing cycle of death and subsequent rebirth. Gods have not attained nirvana, and are still subject to emotions, including jealousy, anger, delusion, sorrow, etc. Thus, since a Buddha shows the way to nirvana, a Buddha is called "the teacher of the gods and humans" (Skt: śāsta deva-manuṣyāṇaṃ).

Nowhere in the Pali Canon, are Buddhas ascribed powers of creation, salvation and judgement. In fact, Buddhism is indifferent to all theories on the origin of the universe and holds the belief in creation as a fetter binding one to samsara. It is important to understand that the Buddha did not expressly say that creation did not occur or that there is no creator. Instead, Buddhist focus is on the effect the belief in theories of creation and a creator have on the human mind. The Buddhist attitude towards every belief is one of critical examination from the perspective of what effect the belief has on the mind and whether the belief binds one to samsara or not.
The Buddha declared that "it is not possible to know or determine the first beginning of the cycle of existence of beings who wander therein deluded by ignorance and obsessed by craving." Speculation about the origin and extent of the universe is generally discouraged in early Buddhism.

In Buddhism, there is no Supreme creator. Yet thoughts are the causes and conditions of the way we view the world.

Did you see the tittle of this threat?
Timeless arts and cultural of tibet and tibetan. I'm not here to talk about buddhism in this world or what so ever. If I were to talk about buddhism all over the world, it will go beyond Tibetan Buddhism. I open up this threat only to talk about my ancestors heavenly land call Tibet and its cultural and art, which is all about nothing more then Tibetan Buddhism. Without Tibetan Buddhism we won't have this rich culture, just as without the influence of Hindu religion and tradition in hindustan, today's india won't be as awe inspiring as one could imagine. So please stop comparing one buddhism to another. I'm not here to talk about religion, I'm here only to share Tibetan Cultural and Arts. I've already told RAGE that I've no time to debate over buddhism in this world, its a big subject and I've no interest to discuss about that. When at first place I knew that no matter what we all have one goal and that is to follow lord buddha's path. So if you are here in this thread please don't expect anything more then the unique Tibetan cultural and arts. Everything that I've posted here is pretty much common in my day to day life. Be it the idol of our goddess and gods or be it the tale of my goddess and gods, including the origin of my beautiful land as well. You either appreciate me for sharing the culture that I had grow up with or you don't but please don't try to debate me over my religion. My religion is too big and it is widely spread over the world, and buddhist people from all over see and adopted it differently and I've no problem with that. But I'm only here to share my culture. By birth Tibetans were Mahayana buddhist which includes tantric teaching. By mythology Tibetans were born Buddhist from Buddha of Compassion Lord Avalokitesvara and goddess Arya Tara. That's the fact and no one can change it and that is what makes our cultural so unique. And I'm proud of it, if you don't get us then its cool. I suggest, you spent some more time with the politicians of your country who only seem to have strong connection with all our head lamas. May be only they can make you understand our cultural better!

ShyAngel

Founding Member
soham mahayana buddhism does in many ways behave like hinduism Mahayana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The entire buddhist nation in this world look up to Tibetan lamas and get most of teaching from them, even though we belong to different buddhist schooling.
We are bless to have such a high lama with their supreme power and knowledge of buddha dharma that no other buddhist country has. That's the one reason why you should know more about the myth of Tibetan Buddhism in Tibet. Guru Padmasambava from indus valley, modern day mandi, Himachal Pardesh was invited by our first king Songtsen Gampo's grandson Triralpachan. Triralpachan was building a first tibetan samyee monastery in Tibet at that time; but unfortunately Tibet was the land of demons during that period and it was impossible to build the monastery. When people built the monastery in morning demons keep destroying it at night. So he invite Padmasambava and ask for his protection. Padmasambava is the master of tantra and he took all those demons under his power and turned all of them into the protector. And he built the entire samyee monastery over one night by his magic. But sadly, most parts of samyee monastery were destroyed by PRC during the cultural revolution or else if you look at the old picture of samyee it was build exactly the way how mandala was made. Padmasambava stayed in tibet for many years and wrote many scriptures on the existence of Tibet and Tibetan mythology and Tibetan buddhism. When he left Tibet he took one tibetan lady as his female companionship and vanish. He never died, or anything, he just vanish. That was documented in our history. Tibetan scholars always believed Padmasambava is an avtar of Lord Shiva, the master of tantra. Now can you see the connection of hindu and tibetan buddhist in our mahayana teaching? Ofcourse!!!!! Lord Buddha never once tough the teaching of mahayana teaching to no one. Because it includes the tantra which teaches the easy way to get enlightened and he never shared that to anybody at all. Yet, Tibetan lamas, and Tibetans practice it and that teaching because that is something we were born with and we were gifted those teaching from no one else but Padmasambava!

That's what makes my cultural so special and unique. Its all full of myth....yet its so real and it exist!

ShyAngel

Founding Member
I never said they are buddhist gods, I said they are the arts of Tibetan Buddhism. When I said Tibetan Buddhism: It is already on next level.
From random buddhist point of view they don't talk about multiple gods and goddess, lord buddha and his teaching is the only ultimate truth. But when in this thread I'm talking about Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism its totally on a different case on different level. By birth Tibet is somehow connected to Hindu mythology and by birth Shiva is the destroyer of this world and him and his family reside nowhere else in this earth but in Tibet, so he can do whatever he want if he wish to do so. He can make demons turn in to protector or he can sent any random god to hell if he wish so. Even the yama the lord of hell is scared of him. So yes, I'm only posting the gods of Tibetan Buddhism in this thread and I careless about other buddhist gods. As long as I know that Lord Buddha is the only ultimate god of buddhism and all these gods and goddess were the embodiment of his wisdom and knowledge.

:)

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Why don't you have a look at your own reply ?

Shy,
Are all these Gods and Goddesses part of Buddhism ?
Ofcourse or else they won't be in this thread!
Did you see the tittle of this threat?
Timeless arts and cultural of tibet and tibetan. I'm not here to talk about buddhism in this world or what so ever.
First you answer my question in a yes, then you are telling me to read the thread title ?

And I'm proud of it, if you don't get us then its cool. I suggest, you spent some more time with the politicians of your country who only seem to have strong connection with all our head lamas. May be only they can make you understand our cultural better!
You should be. No-one's not getting it.
Our politicians have no bloody idea about culture. They are too busy erecting their own statues.

ShyAngel

Founding Member
Why don't you have a look at your own reply ?

First you answer my question in a yes, then you are telling me to read the thread title ?

You should be. No-one's not getting it.
Our politicians have no bloody idea about culture. They are too busy erecting their own statues.
HA HA HA My bad, I was half sleep when I reply your post. I thought you meant if all these god and goddess part of tibetan buddhism and that was my answer. Didn't know that you were referring it to other buddhist. And yes, don't say bad things about your politicians...hehehe I'm sure they are not perfect but they are certainly not the only people to be blame on. A healthy and prosperous society first comes from once own home and being educated. Nobody should ever rely on anybody at all. Therefor, to hell with the politician, the best is to be part of a healthy competation no matter where you at. Trust me world certainly will be much better place to live.

:)

ShyAngel

Founding Member
“Today, we are going through a critical period in time. We are a nation with an ancient culture, which is now facing the threat of extinction. We need your help, the international community’s help, to protect our culture. Our culture is one of the heritages of the world. Protecting an ancient culture like this is the responsibility not only of the concerned nation, but also of the world community as a whole.”

His Holiness the Dalai Lama

ShyAngel

Founding Member
Enjoy our minnesota cultural dance show!
YouTube - tafm
They are singing the song long live His Holiness The Dalai Lama.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles