Tiananmen car crash

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir, it's evident that, they cannot face truth ! and moreover, they don't have b@lls to counter your attack :D
Check the thread on the Chinese boy who was ordered to jump off a 10 story building which he did and then died.

They are indoctrinated people and so they cannot think or are attuned to not believe what the CCP has decried for them as the 'truth'!

This is how they think.

"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"The best books... are those that tell you what you know already."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"Big Brother is Watching You."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know what no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"If you loved someone, you loved him, and when you had nothing else to give, you still gave him love."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"In the face of pain there are no heroes."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"You are a slow learner, Winston."
"How can I help it? How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"We do not merely destroy our enemies; we change them."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then?"
"• George Orwell, 1984

"Sanity is not statistical."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"Confession is not betrayal. What you say or do doesn't matter; only feelings matter. If they could make me stop loving you-that would be the real betrayal."
"• George Orwell, 1984

"Your worst enemy, he reflected, was your nervous system. At any moment the tension inside you was liable to translate itself into some visible symptom."
"• George Orwell, 1984

BangersAndMash

Uighur leader questions China's account of Tiananmen attack

(Reuters) - The exiled leader of China's Uighur ethnic minority community called on Wednesday for an international investigation into an incident in which a car ploughed into pedestrians in Beijing, after Chinese authorities arrested five suspected Uighurs over the attack.

The SUV vehicle burst into flames after being driven into a crowd on Tiananmen Square on Monday. The three occupants and two bystanders were killed, while dozens were injured. Police said it was a terrorist attack.

Rebiya Kadeer, president of the Munich-based World Uighur Congress, called the attack tragic but was equivocal on whether Uighurs - a Muslim people from China's far western region of Xinjiang - had carried it out.

Kadeer, who lives in the Washington area, warned against accepting at face value China's account of the incident.

"Chinese claims simply cannot be accepted as facts without an independent and international investigation of what took place in Beijing on Monday," Kadeer said.

China, which almost certainly will ignore Kadeer's call for an international investigation, said it caught five suspected Islamist militants - all of whom have names that suggest they are Uighur. Chinese authorities have also moved to tighten security in Xinjiang.

Asked whether she believed Uighurs were responsible, Kadeer said: "Maybe and maybe not. It is difficult to tell at the moment, given the strict control of information by the Chinese government on this tragic incident."

"If the Uighurs did it, I believe they did it out of desperation because there is no channel for the Uighur people to seek redress for any kind of injustice they had suffered under Chinese rule," she added

Her comments were made in written replies to Reuters questions, translated from the Uighur language by an aide.

Kadeer is a former Chinese political prisoner accused of leaking state secrets in 1999 who left China on medical parole and settled near Washington with her husband and part of her family in 2005. The 66-year-old mother of 11 previously had been a celebrated millionaire who had advised China's parliament.

Kadeer said she feared the Tiananmen Square attack would join a long list of incidents that China uses "to justify its heavy-handed repression" in her native region, which she said was not alone in chafing under tight government control.

"We see the desperation not only in East Turkestan but in Tibet and other parts of China as well," she said.

East Turkestan is the name Uighurs call the vast, resource-rich Xinjiang region that borders Afghanistan, Pakistan and the former Soviet Central Asian republics. Part of the area had brief independence in the 1940s as the East Turkestan Republic.

"This is an overall problem in China, not specific to Uighurs," she said, noting some 150 self-immolations by Tibetans and numerous violent incidents by Chinese protesting land seizures and corruption.

"The root cause of the problem in East Turkestan, as in Tibet, is the colonial rule of the Chinese government and implementation of policies of cultural genocide - such as the systematic attacks on our language, culture, identity, values and religious beliefs," she said.

China denies accusations of repression of minorities and blames separatist Uighur militants for provoking violence in Xinjiang.

Kadeer, however, said, "I don't believe there is any kind of organized extremist Islamic movement operating in East Turkestan. It is almost impossible for Uighurs to organize because of China's stringent controls and attacks."

China's approach to Xinjiang has hardened over the past 12 years, creating an atmosphere "like a war zone", she said.

"Fully armed Chinese soldiers patrol Uighur neighbourhoods, villages and towns. They frequently attack Uighurs and extrajudicially kill them in any kind of confrontation," Kadeer added.

Uighur leader questions China's account of Tiananmen attack | Reuters

badguy2000

Respected Member
I think you have not been able to fathom the yawning difference.

1. Unlike Xinjiang, where the Han Govt is thrust onto the Uighurs, in India, it being democratic, they elect their own leaders from within Kashmir. There are no hinterland Indians allowed to stand for election or vote!

In short, the Kashmiris stand for the election and the Kashmiris vote the Kashmiri leaders into office and the Assembly, which makes laws applicable to Kashmir!

2. Non Kashmris are not allowed to buy land, build house or become citizens of Kashmir, and instead Kashmir is for the Kashmiris alone.

So, there is no demographic changes to the Kashmir's character and population.

3. Muslims freely practice their faith, to include attending mosques, teaching Islamic scriptures to all, including children as is expected in Islam, allowed to have their beard, free to partake in Ramzan and other holy festivals et al.

4. There is no restrictions in Kashmiris having or exhibiting separatist views and expression.

5. Foreigners and foreign media roam freely in Kashmir, and there is never any lockdown to prevent them, even where there are problems

In Xinjiang, Uighurs vote no one since it is not a democracy and those who decide their furture are not Uighuers but Han imposted by hinterland Chinese and their Communist overlords.

In Xinjiang, there has been a systematic and sinister drive to change the demography in Xinjiang, so as to make the majority Uighurs into a minority and convert Xinjiang into a Han majority area, wiping out the Uighur identity in all its facets.

In Xinjiang, Muslims are not allowed to have beard, discouraged to wear the hijab, denied to partake in Ramzan, forced to eat during Ramzan, children not allowed into Mosques or children not allowed to get Islamic scripture education and so on.

In Xinjiang, Foreigners and foreign media are not allowed roam freely, and there is always a serious lockdown to prevent them,wherever there are problems, unrest and riots.

Therefore, what is happening in Kashmir and what is happening in Xinjiang is as different as is chalk and cheese!

In Xinjiang, those who exhibit separatist views are sent to the Laogais(prisons).

In Kashmir, India pours a huge amount of money as is done in Xinjiang by China.

It is true that kindness does not begets kindness, but then in a democracy, where human rights is a big issue, one cannot help it.
but there are much more victims of terrorism in j&k than in xinjiang

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Because there is a free media, to include foreign media, which is quite active in reporting.

In India, no foreign of dometic media person has been arrested or prevented from reporting from Kashmir or elsewhere.

I believe the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) reported that China "continues to be the world's leading jailer of journalists," with 42 imprisoned journalists at the end of 2004, and accuses private companies, both foreign and domestic, of having been complacent toward or complicit with government censorship. ( Michael Miner, Down With the Chinese Tyrants! Hot Type, Chicago Reader, week of October 14, 2005)

Also

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-12/09/content_7284120.htm

It is also because China for reasons of her security and image concerns restricts visits to Tibet and Xinjiang.

Here is a UK GOvt Travel Advisory:

Take particular care if travelling in Tibet or Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. Don't attempt to travel to Tibet without the appropriate permits. Tibetan Autonomous Region (or Tibetan Autonomous Prefectures in neighbouring Provinces) can be closed to foreigners without notice.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

Therefore, if there is a riot or other security problem, China just locks down to foreigners and media and so nothing is known.

In India, that is not possible and reporters report what they see or state what they want to as per their agenda.

There are foreign media people who have an agenda, but unlike China to prevent such people, we cannot not.

Last edited:

bennedose

well,police now has arrested 5 suspects and opened details. on most occasions,necessary censorship is helpful to arrest suspects,isn't it? that is why chinese police can arrest terrorists while indian ones can not.

They can arrest innocent people and no one will know. And you will believe that the guilty have been caught. That is what is really hilarious to me.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
They can arrest innocent people and no one will know. And you will believe that the guilty have been caught. That is what is really hilarious to me.
That is what the Uyghurs are stating over the Tienanmen car crash.

bennedose

It is because of censorship that we don't hear of the victims in Uighuristan
You said:
on most occasions,necessary censorship is helpful to arrest suspects
With censorship no news comes out, either of Uighur victims or Han terrorists

ice berg

Call Tiananmen Attack What It Was: Terrorism | China Power | The Diplomat

There is something profoundly disturbing about the way most Western media and Xinjiang scholars have reacted to the attack in Tiananmen Square last Monday. As has been widely reported, the attack left five people dead, two of whom were tourists, and 40 injured.

Shortly after the attack, in which a man with his wife and mother drove an SUV into a crowd of people and set it on fire, Chinese authorities identified the perpetrators as Uyghurs. Since then, Western experts have appeared in the media, attempting to shed some light on the tragic event.

On October 31, three days after the tragedy, Sean R. Roberts wrote a piece for CNN significantly headlined "Tiananmen crash: Terrorism or cry of desperation?" Roberts is one of the leading Western experts on Xinjiang, and author last year of an important report in which he casts serious doubts on the existence of the ETIM as a capable terrorist organization. In his CNN article, Roberts argues that given the lack of transparency and details we might never know what exactly happened on Monday, let alone prove that the attackers were tied to any global Muslim militant movement. To understand this "act of violence," as Roberts calls it, the second part of the article moves into an analysis of Chinese policies in Xinjiang and the marginalization of the Uyghurs in what they perceive as their historical homeland. The question, eventually, is whether "Monday's alleged attack was a well-prepared terrorist act or a hastily assembled cry of desperation from a people on the extreme margins of the Chinese state's monstrous development machine."

The same day, another Xinjiang scholar, David Tobin, offered a similar perspective from his blog in a post that was then republished by Beijingcream. The post shares the concerns about the lack of details provided by the Chinese authorities, and suggests that if we want to make sense of the attack then we need to understand how security works in Xinjiang. Once again, China's restrictions on Uyghur freedom and rights are responsible for Uyghur discontent, a situation that could lead to attacks such as that in Tiananmen.

Both Roberts and Tobin offer very insightful analysis into the complex range of problems that are likely to be behind Monday's attack. I have lived in Xinjiang and conducted extensive research in the region, and find myself in total agreement with most of what they are saying. So what is it then, that I find so disturbing?

What bothers me, in both analyses, is the facility with which the authors dismiss the attack itself. Paradoxically, as I was reading the pieces, I felt that they could have made the very same points without the attack even having taken place. What happened in Tiananmen, it seems assumed, is just another example of the repeated violence we have witnessed in recent years, ultimately rooted in Beijing's disastrous policies in Xinjiang. But is this really the case? Isn't Tiananmen a turning point?

What is hard to understand is why the attack in Tiananmen is rarely acknowledged as an act of terrorism. Granted, we don't – and probably never will – have access to all the details, and yet I believe we have enough material to claim that the attack was clearly intended to be deadly. The place of the attack, moreover, certainly has major symbolic value as the political center of the PRC, but it is also packed with Chinese and foreign tourists at virtually all hours. It thus isn't just politically charged, but also in the spotlight of international observers. I find it hard to believe that both these factors weren't part of the attackers' calculations.

Moreover, what generally makes terrorism so disturbing is the randomness of the victims. We are constantly reminded of this when something happens in Boston, London, Madrid or any other Western city. Media run stories on the victims, their backgrounds, and how they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why hasn't this been the case with Monday's attack in Beijing? I have lived in Beijing for years and I visited Tiananmen many times. This summer, for the first time, my parents visited China. I took them to Tiananmen, I've got a picture of them in the very same place where the two tourists died on Monday. I could have died, my parents could have died. My Beijing neighbor, my Chinese teacher, my best friend: all could have died in Monday's attack.

Why is it so difficult, then, to call the attack what it is: terrorism? Why do scholars and journalists (see, for instance the BBC and NYT) seem more concerned about the weakness of China's claims that the ETIM was involved in Monday's attack, rather than in the tragedy of the attack itself?

Once again, I agree with most analysts that China's claims concerning Uyghur terrorism have been unclear at best. I understand that we will probably never know whether the main motivation behind the attack was religious, political or personal. I'm also quite sure that we will never be provided with proof of the attackers' link with the ETIM. And yet, in contrast to my previous thinking, I'm now sure that what China experienced was a deliberate attack intended to kill innocent people and attract notice. In a word: terrorism. It is this certainty that makes the Tiananmen attack a significant turning point, and something that we should take into account when analyzing Beijing's response to it.

It is surely very important that scholars and journalists investigate and question the Chinese government's accusations and discuss its policies in Xinjiang. It is also important, I believe, that they call things what they are. A good discussion about what happened in Tiananmen should begin by calling the attack what it really was: an act of terrorism.

Alessandro Rippa is a Ph.D. student in Social Anthropology at the University of Aberdeen. He recently concluded a year of ethnographic research on the Karakoram Highway between Xinjiang and Pakistan. You can follow Alessandro on Twitter @AlessandroRippa.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
A senior military commander in China's restive far west has been stripped of his position on a powerful Communist Party governing body after an attack in the nation's capital last week that claimed five lives and deeply unnerved the Chinese leadership.

The official, Gen. Peng Yong, chief of the People's Liberation Army in Xinjiang, was removed from the region's Standing Committee, according to a one-sentence notice on Sunday on the front page of the newspaper Xinjiang Daily. The statement provided no explanation for his replacement by Liu Lei, a veteran army official in the region.

General Peng's demotion was announced six days after an audacious attack on the political and symbolic heart of Beijing that government officials have described as an act of terrorism. Two people were killed and 40 others were injured on Monday when a vehicle plowed through a sidewalk packed with tourists and came to a stop at the entrance to the Forbidden City, the former imperial residence that sits opposite Tiananmen Square.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/04/w...y-commander-after-attack-in-beijing.html?_r=0

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Terrorists, freedom fighters or desperate individuals? In the wake of a fiery vehicular attack on Beijing's Tiananmen Square on Monday, Oct. 28, the Global Times, a Chinese Communist Party–linked newspaper, criticized CNN for running an opinion piece on its website that questioned the official claim that Muslim Uighur "terrorists" had masterminded the assault.

The attack killed five (the three occupants of the jeep and two tourists) and injured 40.

"CNN is way out of line this time," opined the Nov. 4 Global Times editorial, referring to the CNN piece headlined "Tiananmen crash: Terrorism or cry of desperation?" and authored by Sean Roberts, a George Washington University professor who studies the Turkic Uighur ethnic group.
China Paper: 'CNN Way Out of Line' Over Tiananmen Square Attack | TIME.com

W.G.Ewald

Professional
^^
Comment to above article:

Desperate Plea from Uyghur living in America to Hans in China
All the nonsense which were put by Han nationalist or their Islamophobic western sympathizers appalls me. Situation in Xinjiang has nothing to with Islam or religion. I know, Governments in the west are beholden to China with debts , But I am so surprised how many people are sold on Chinese State Propaganda and Praising China for oppressing uyghurs and calling for more racial profiling on Uyghurs. A lot of you, who have never been to Xinjiang, nor talked to Uyghurs. So, you don't know the situation; please don't naively comment on it. Xinjiang is Uyghurland which was invaded by Han Chinese in 1949. Now most Uyghurs accept to live under Chinese Rule. But that was not enough for the Chinese and they want even more! The region was flooded by Hans to change the demography of the region, so they can have a firm hand. To do so, they gave so many preferential treatments to Hans to come, at the result, they discriminated local uyghurs to access Jobs and resources. Uyghurs are treated as second class or subhuman. Every jobs and government position goes to only Hans, discriminating Uyghurs on Jobs, denying hotel or extra monitoring are common place in China. Uyghur culture and Language is also treated as state enemy. Hundreds of Uyghur writers and webmasters were put into prison for advocating for justice and equality. Uyghurs are killed and shot on the Streets of Urumqi, Kashgar, Yarkand and Aksu as insects. At the result, Uyghurs become so marginalized, jobless, powerless and frustrated and angry. As long as Han Racism and Nationalism will not be stopped, it is hard to avert this vicious cycle of hatred and Revenge.

Last month a Han person blows himself up at the Beijing airport, at the time he was lionized as hero for Justice by Hans and Chinese media! Such kind of violence happens almost every week in China, because people have no way to express their anger? but why is the double standard ?When Han crazies attacks school children with knives or blew himself up, it is expression for Justice, When Uyghur does similar act of stupidity, it is terrorism???? Why ??

Uyghurs have the same struggles as Black people in the American south, or in South Africa, remember there were many church bombings and violence at that time which were committed by all sides, Uyghurs want the same racial equality and Justice. I wish Uyghurs have more decent way to express themselves, but it is not the case in Totalitarian China. I condemn all the foolish acts of violence committed by crazies, even though i deeply sympathize with my fellow Uyghurs frustration toward racism and injustice.

Let me quote Martin Luther King, Uyghur people will never be satisfied until they are treated as Hans in Jobs, Education. Denying jobs, housing, hotel rooms, just because they are Uyghur will never satisfy them. Stopping them at anywhere, airports, bus station for racial profiling will never satisfy them. Indiscriminately killing and arrest them for their speech will never satisfy them. Banning their language at school will not satisfy them.

As Uyghur myself, I wish one day all Chinese, regardless of their ethnicity, could have equal standing in education and economic opportunities. So let freedom ring from Beijing to Urumqi and Kashgar! So all we can say free at last!

I pray for every Han Chinese whose hearts are darkened with Han racism and ethnic chauvinism to realize that we are all children of God, there for we should be treated equally. Dear God, May fill hearts of Hans with love and compassion towards Uyghur and Tibetans, so we can live in peace and harmony.
China Paper: 'CNN Way Out of Line' Over Tiananmen Square Attack | TIME.com China Paper: 'CNN Way Out of Line' Over Tiananmen Square Attack | TIME.com

amoy

Did Americans do any wrong to Chechens? Why Tamerlan brothers did Boston bombing! What desperate plea was there?

Call Tiananmen Attack What It Was: Terrorism | China Power | The Diplomat
By Alessandro Rippa
There is something profoundly disturbing about the way most Western media and Xinjiang scholars have reacted to the attack in Tiananmen Square last Monday. As has been widely reported, the attack left five people dead, two of whom were tourists, and 40 injured.

Shortly after the attack, in which a man with his wife and mother drove an SUV into a crowd of people and set it on fire, Chinese authorities identified the perpetrators as Uyghurs. Since then, Western experts have appeared in the media, attempting to shed some light on the tragic event.

On October 31, three days after the tragedy, Sean R. Roberts wrote a piece for CNN significantly headlined "Tiananmen crash: Terrorism or cry of desperation?" Roberts is one of the leading Western experts on Xinjiang, and author last year of an important report in which he casts serious doubts on the existence of the ETIM as a capable terrorist organization. In his CNN article, Roberts argues that given the lack of transparency and details we might never know what exactly happened on Monday, let alone prove that the attackers were tied to any global Muslim militant movement.

To understand this "act of violence," as Roberts calls it, the second part of the article moves into an analysis of Chinese policies in Xinjiang and the marginalization of the Uyghurs in what they perceive as their historical homeland. The question, eventually, is whether "Monday's alleged attack was a well-prepared terrorist act or a hastily assembled cry of desperation from a people on the extreme margins of the Chinese state's monstrous development machine."

The same day, another Xinjiang scholar, David Tobin, offered a similar perspective from his blog in a post that was then republished by Beijingcream. The post shares the concerns about the lack of details provided by the Chinese authorities, and suggests that if we want to make sense of the attack then we need to understand how security works in Xinjiang. Once again, China's restrictions on Uyghur freedom and rights are responsible for Uyghur discontent, a situation that could lead to attacks such as that in Tiananmen.

Both Roberts and Tobin offer very insightful analysis into the complex range of problems that are likely to be behind Monday's attack. I have lived in Xinjiang and conducted extensive research in the region, and find myself in total agreement with most of what they are saying. So what is it then, that I find so disturbing?

What bothers me, in both analyses, is the facility with which the authors dismiss the attack itself. Paradoxically, as I was reading the pieces, I felt that they could have made the very same points without the attack even having taken place. What happened in Tiananmen, it seems assumed, is just another example of the repeated violence we have witnessed in recent years, ultimately rooted in Beijing's disastrous policies in Xinjiang. But is this really the case? Isn't Tiananmen a turning point?

What is hard to understand is why the attack in Tiananmen is rarely acknowledged as an act of terrorism. Granted, we don't – and probably never will – have access to all the details, and yet I believe we have enough material to claim that the attack was clearly intended to be deadly. The place of the attack, moreover, certainly has major symbolic value as the political center of the PRC, but it is also packed with Chinese and foreign tourists at virtually all hours. It thus isn't just politically charged, but also in the spotlight of international observers. I find it hard to believe that both these factors weren't part of the attackers' calculations.

Moreover, what generally makes terrorism so disturbing is the randomness of the victims. We are constantly reminded of this when something happens in Boston, London, Madrid or any other Western city. Media run stories on the victims, their backgrounds, and how they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Why hasn't this been the case with Monday's attack in Beijing? I have lived in Beijing for years and I visited Tiananmen many times. This summer, for the first time, my parents visited China. I took them to Tiananmen, I've got a picture of them in the very same place where the two tourists died on Monday. I could have died, my parents could have died. My Beijing neighbor, my Chinese teacher, my best friend: all could have died in Monday's attack.

Why is it so difficult, then, to call the attack what it is: terrorism? Why do scholars and journalists (see, for instance the BBC and NYT) seem more concerned about the weakness of China's claims that the ETIM was involved in Monday's attack, rather than in the tragedy of the attack itself?

Once again, I agree with most analysts that China's claims concerning Uyghur terrorism have been unclear at best. I understand that we will probably never know whether the main motivation behind the attack was religious, political or personal. I'm also quite sure that we will never be provided with proof of the attackers' link with the ETIM. And yet, in contrast to my previous thinking, I'm now sure that what China experienced was a deliberate attack intended to kill innocent people and attract notice. In a word: terrorism. It is this certainty that makes the Tiananmen attack a significant turning point, and something that we should take into account when analyzing Beijing's response to it.

It is surely very important that scholars and journalists investigate and question the Chinese government's accusations and discuss its policies in Xinjiang. It is also important, I believe, that they call things what they are. A good discussion about what happened in Tiananmen should begin by calling the attack what it really was: an act of terrorism.

badguy2000

Respected Member
SO,The assaulting gunman of bombay gunshot still live a happy time in india.

bennedose

Uighurs who do bad things to China are simply learning from China's "higher than the highest mountain, deeper then the deepest ocean, sweeter than honey" friend Pakistan. Pakistan is an Islamic nation and if the Chinese give their Pakistani brothers more money and arms, a squadron or two of J -10s and allow free migration of pious Pakistanis to preach in Uighuristan all problems will end. The solution lies just across the border in Pakistan.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Tiananmen blast shows China faces rise in violent dissent – and repression

Two attacks on Communist party targets suggest Beijing faces a increase in attacks on its rule from a variety of disaffected people

Two of the ball bearings packed into bombs that went off in Taiyuan, Shanxi, killing one person and injuring eight.

First came the car crash and explosion in Tiananmen Square, Beijing. Then came multiple blasts outside Communist party offices in a northern city. Two fatal incidents in 10 days – just ahead of a major party meeting that begins on Saturday – have highlighted the challenges facing China's leaders despite years of pouring cash into tightening security and preventative measures.

Spending on domestic security has soared over the last decade, overtaking the country's China's military budget. This spring it rose by 8.7% year-on-year, to 769.1bn yuan (£79bn).

Major events are accompanied by increasingly punitive and sometimes downright absurd restrictions: big political meetings in Beijing have seen curbs on kite-flying and the sale of pencil sharpeners.

But last month two tourists and three suspects died in Tiananmen Square, one of China's most tightly patrolled and politically sensitive places; while on Wednesday one person died and eight injured in a relatively sophisticated attack with timed explosives outside Communist party offices in Taiyuan, Shanxi.

Authorities blamed the separatist East Turkestan Islamic Movement for the Beijing attack. Members of the ethnic minority Uighur community who seek independence for the north-western Xinjiang region call it East Turkestan.

Li Wei, an anti-terrorism expert at the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations, said terrorism had spread from Xinjiang to other parts of China and security had to be strengthened.

"In Xinjiang, Beijing and some other bigger cities, the recognition [of anti-terrorism work] is better; in other districts it is limited," said Li.

In contrast, the government seems to see the Taiyuan explosions as an isolated incident. The Shanxi government said on Friday police had detained a 41-year-old man, who they say confessed his responsibility.

The statement did not address possible motives but said he had been jailed for nine years for theft. China has seen numerous violent attacks by people targeting officials, employers or even children over personal grievances.

Yet drawing a sharp line between the cases is not straightforward; some argue that the Tiananmen case is about individuals rather than an organised threat.

Magnus Ranstorp, of the Swedish National Defence College, an expert on militant Islamistc movements, said that if the Tiananmen case had been as sophisticated as officials suggested, "you would have seen a more directed attack, rather than a symbolic act of martyrdom; you would see synchronised attacks, violent attacks".

Three individuals carried out an attack requiring only one person, and the explosion was caused by igniting petrol.

Ranstorp said he understood that there had been some Uighur separatist links to Pakistani groups and the Taliban, but involving individuals or small scale organisations.

"They do not really have the capacity, given the repression, to carry out a serious challenge on Chinese soil," he said.

He suggested the real threat came from individuals with personal grievances – albeit possibly with some links to organisations – who saw an opportunity.

Radio Free Asia has reported that Usmen Hesen, the Uighur man who ploughed the car carrying his wife and mother into crowds at Tiananmen Square, may have sought revenge for a raid on a mosque in his hometown in Xinjiang.

Fu Hualing, of the law faculty at Hong Kong University, said China's domestic security apparatus had focused on targeting both traditional "enemies of the state" and non-violent political dissidents who could threaten the party's grip on power.

Now it faced new challenges: collective actions such as protests by groups such as migrant workers, petitioners and demobilised soldiers and – most threateningly – "the individual terrorists, like the person who crashed the car in Tiananmen Square, or the person who kills a police officer in an isolated case. You can't control them. They are everywhere. It's difficult to profile them because everyone has the potential to do that."

Instead, Fu said, authorities "need to deal with grievances more fairly, have better procedures and more institutionalised mechanisms: better courts, the rule of law, transparency, participation in the decision-making process, so you can divert the anger and frustrations."

While individual attacks do not pose a direct political challenge, the party's claim to legitimacy rests on providing social stability as well as economic growth, he noted.

Michal Meidan, China analyst at Eurasia Group, warned that social volatility was likely to increase given slowing growth, raised expectations, anger over issues such as land grabs and corruption, and limited progress on political reform.

Incidents such as the recent ones would encourage the domestic security apparatus to press for resources, she said; authorities had been reining it in, after its rapid expansion under the former security chief Zhou Yongkang.

But ever-tighter controls prove counter-productive, Ranstorp warned. Uighurs already complain about increased police scrutiny. "There's no strategy to alleviate grievances," he said. "In the short term, repression works; in the long term, it compounds the problem."

Tiananmen blast shows China faces rise in violent dissent – and repression | World news | The Guardian

Two fatal incidents in 10 days – just ahead of a major party meeting that begins on Saturday.

There is no doubt that one's heart sadden for China's plight.

The world is rocked by terrorism and none feels delighted over terrorist attacks.

They are shameful, but then what worries is that China, inspite of such high security in iconic places as the Tienanmen Square and Communist Party HQs, are finding it immensely difficult to control terrorism. And more so, since the Chinese surveillance over its population is most automated and realtime, given that their Public Security Budget is greater than their Defence Budget, even though the latter is astronomical, even if one does not take in account the hidden financial inputs not made public.

To imagine even with such stringent curbs on mundane activities and stuff like kiteflying and pencil sharpners, China is floundering, almost like a beached whale!

The Tienanmen incident can be blamed on the East Turkestan Islamic Movement, but it surely cannot be so for the Tiayuan blast which is in the Shanxi Province that has a 99% Han demography, If indeed, this is also the handiwork of the East Turkestan Islamic Movement, then China is in for big trouble.

The Tiayuan blast cannot be the handiwork of one man. That is bogus. So many bombs being placed by one man is a bit too thick to believe. The Chinese might since it appears a cover-up of the reality to not alarm the people of China, but not to those who have seen terrorists at work!

Fu Hualing may have got it right when he says

China's domestic security apparatus had focused on targeting both traditional "enemies of the state" and non-violent political dissidents who could threaten the party's grip on power.

Now it faced new challenges: collective actions such as protests by groups such as migrant workers, petitioners and demobilised soldiers and – most threateningly – "the individual terrorists, like the person who crashed the car in Tiananmen Square, or the person who kills a police officer in an isolated case. You can't control them. They are everywhere. It's difficult to profile them because everyone has the potential to do that."

China has to now look beyond the traditional "enemies of the state" and non-violent political dissidents who could threaten the party's grip on power.

Terrorism is spreading and so is individual and group disgust at the manner in which China is heading, with greater dictatorial autocracy and the yawning economic divides between the Communists and their camp followers and crumb pickers and the common average Chinese, on whose labour and toil, the fat cats of China are making merry!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Tiananmen car crash was protest, not terrorism: Uyghur activist

"Chinese policies are pushing the Uyghur people into desperation, basically persuading them that they're going to die anyway, so why not protest (against) the Chinese government by dying," Kadeer said in Washington.

She called on Beijing to release video footage of the accident, saying it has failed to provide convincing evidence that the act was intended to kill bystanders.

"Tiananmen has so many cameras. They should have captured the footage of the crash," she said.

She also called for an "independent and open" international investigation into the incident.

"We believe there is a cover-up of what happened there. So it's hard to believe the Chinese government's claims," she said.

Tiananmen car crash was protest, not terrorism: Uyghur activist | GlobalPost

Could be a Communist Chinese Party cover up or even engineered so as to keep the Chinese mind off dissent and strife that is growing by the day and instead close their ranks?

Yes indeed, there are many CCTVs there.

How come no videos released?

They were quick to release the Tibet uprising videos and so why not this?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Tiananmen Crash Linked to Xinjiang Mosque Raid

authorities called a deadly terrorist act may have been angered by a police raid on a mosque in the troubled Xinjiang region, a former official from his home village said Wednesday.

Usmen Hesen, who was killed in the crash together with his wife and mother who were also in the vehicle, had publicly vowed to avenge the police raid on the mosque in his Yengi Aymaq village in Xinjiang's Akto county, former village chief Hamut Turdi said.

"I think it is highly possible that Usmen Hesen did this to take revenge for our villagers," Turdi told RFA's Uyghur Service.

He said that Hesen, aged 33, was furious when Chinese police entered the Pilal mosque compound and tore down the courtyard, which the authorities had termed as an illegal extension of the prayer house built on funds collected from the village community.

According to Turdi, Hesen had donated a significant portion of the donated funds.

"This is one reason that he might have carried out the Tiananmen attack," which had also left two tourists dead and injured dozens at the popular site and symbolic heart of the Chinese state, Turdi said.

He pointed out that the Pilal mosque raid took place exactly a year before the crash in Tiananmen Square on Oct. 28—"which also leads me to believe this" motive behind the alleged attack.

The Yengi Aymaq village is situated in Ujme town under the jurisdiction of the Kizilsu Kirghiz Autonomous Prefecture in Xinjiang, home to the mostly Muslim Uyghurs who say they have long suffered ethnic discrimination and oppressive religious controls under Beijing's policies.

Turdi, 55, who had worked as Yengi Aymaq village chief for 22 years before he was ousted by authorities over the Pilal mosque incident, recollected Hesen making an emotional speech soon after some 100 police officers surrounded the mosque as workers demolished the courtyard.

Hesen made the speech as he told the mosque community to stand down after they argued with the armed police.

"At that time, Usmen Hesen jumped in and persuaded the community to disperse by saying, 'Today they have won and we have lost because they are carrying guns and we have nothing—but don't worry, one day we will do something ourselves'," Turdi said.

"As Usmen Hesen finished his emotional speech, [his mother] Kuwanhan Reyim went to him crying, and hugged and kissed his forehead because of her pride in him. The crowd was also moved to tears and retreated."

When the mosque community backed down, the demolition team bulldozed the mosque's courtyard and destroyed part of the walls, Turdi said, adding that they also removed 12 carpets from the mosque and disconnected the building's water supply and heating system.

Hesen left Yengi Aymaq village the next day and never returned, he said.

Tiananmen incident

The Chinese authorities have blamed the little-known East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) militant group for the Tiananmen raid. Many Uygurs refer to Xinjiang, which borders Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the former Soviet Central Asian republics, as East Turkestan.

Last week, a source who claims to know Hesen's family suggested that he may have been on a deadly revenge attack after losing a family member during the 2009 bloody riots between Han Chinese and Uyghurs in the Xinjiang capital Urumqi.

Another source—Hesen's school classmate—claimed his younger brother had died in a mysterious traffic accident several years ago that had been blamed on the majority Han Chinese or the Chinese authorities.

Thousands of Uyghurs had gone missing since they were arrested in large sweep operations following the Urumqi riots, Uyghur groups have claimed.

Tiananmen Crash Linked to Xinjiang Mosque Raid

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles