Thousands of Hong Kong students start week-long boycott

s002wjh

Country flag
They might be bunch of kids for you but they were never bullied in the past and made to walk like sheep. Since you happen to show your USA flag, I do not understand the reason behind your comments. What adults do in China is not called democracy and residents of HK should continue with their demonstration till CCP gives in.
it has nothing to do with my flag, you think ccp will give in, think again. bully what lol you think ccp will go into highschool and bully kids :rolleyes: No these are teens like any other teens rebellious, idealistic, act 1st think later. read my previous post

s002wjh

Country flag
Anyone can live anywhere.

But then can a coiled tail be made straight?

The Mainland Chinese will home on to anywhere to gleefully escape the Communist regime which stifle, suffocate and is a Police State representation........eve to Timbuctoo or Burkina Faso, let alone HK.
so where were you when i wrote post that bashing CCP, or just anyone who has different opinon than you are call ccp?

s002wjh

Country flag
Was watching one of those CNN live reports. keeping my opinions on the protests aside,in all that chaos these kids were also ensuring that areas they were protesting were kept clean. these kids themselves were carefully picking up the plastic bottles and stuff and were carefully putting then in a corner. That was interesting.
you can't ensure cleanness when there are not enough toilets to go around.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
you can't ensure cleanness when there are not enough toilets to go around.
Oh, i didn't know that hongkong does not have enough toilets. cannot believe that for a second. Hope you are not joking.

s002wjh

Country flag
Oh, i didn't know that hongkong does not have enough toilets. cannot believe that for a second. Hope you are not joking.
ever been to a protest, sit in for few days?
few thousands ppl stock in few city block without access to the buildings, outside only what do you think

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
ever been to a protest, sit in for few days?
few thousands ppl stock in few city block without access to the buildings, outside only what do you think
point taken.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
it has nothing to do with my flag, you think ccp will give in, think again. bully what lol you think ccp will go into highschool and bully kids :rolleyes: No these are teens like any other teens rebellious, idealistic, act 1st think later. read my previous post
They are using police to bully. I know and see Chinese teenagers in Canada as well. They are very peaceful and focus on their education but once a regime tries to take away and makes a "U" turn to the agreed terms and condition of electing the future officials of Hong Kong than they have right to protest the bullying tactics of CCP. What happens in HK will determine the future of rest of China.

May be it has to do with the way Chinese have been made to think in other words the brainwashing is at work. They (CCP+PLA) are bullying and dictating the terms of election of officials to the citizens of Hong Kong, I don't think you can get what we are trying to tell about the situation. There are adults who are part of the demonstration as well. By the way CCP has blocked the access to Weibao and other sites. We have thousands of supporters young and old alike in Canada as well. I am expressing my views because the basics rights of citizens being denied and they are being shot at instead of holding talks with them to address the issues.

s002wjh

Country flag
They are using police to bully. I know and see Chinese teenagers in Canada as well. They are very peaceful and focus on their education but once a regime tries to take away and makes a "U" turn to the agreed terms and condition of electing the future officials of Hong Kong than they have right to protest the bullying tactics of CCP. What happens in HK will determine the future of rest of China.

May be it has to do with the way Chinese have been made to think in other words the brainwashing is at work. They (CCP+PLA) are bullying and dictating the terms of election of officials to the citizens of Hong Kong, I don't think you can get what we are trying to tell about the situation. There are adults who are part of the demonstration as well. By the way CCP has blocked the access to Weibao and other sites. We have thousands of supporters young and old alike in Canada as well. I am expressing my views because the basics rights of citizens being denied and they are being shot at instead of holding talks with them to address the issues.
have you been to china to see teens been bully by police? do you have crediable link that says teens are been bully by police in china? if not i rest my case.

what happen to HK wont decide future of china.

here we go again, everytime ppl cant take chinese opinon, they call chinese brainwash etc because they are from china. goto silicon valley, goto university in US, talk to chinese, youll know they are very smart/nationlism, but far from brainwash.

yes there are adult few hundred out of few thousands protester out of 7.2 million resident in HK.

there are time and place for protest, in HK(control by CCP), with that few, just look at arab spring, look at ukraine.
whos shot at? as far as i know only tear gas was used, and police withdraw later.
you can support them however you want, but its the HK resident losing out in term of economy.
No matter whos in charge of HK, he/she has to have a good relation with china, HK economy depend on it. guess what HK stock lose 500pts today.
its not i dont support democracy, i just dont think these kids think through. china is NOT gonna give in, and the final cost will be HK economy, they already start losing to singapore/shanhai, this just haste it. if you do some research youll know close to 50% HK resident prefer stability and against the student protest, the other 50% dont even bother to show up.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Hongkong has always been my most favorite destination. I'm really surprised by the audacity of the Hongkong protesters.I never thought the Hongkongers have that in them since they in and day out you see them heads down with work.

But I think one thing is clear here, Hongkong is no Tiananmen. If blood is spilled in these protesters in the hands of the authorities then expect Hongkong to go wild.

But of course I don't know the mentality of the CCP, maybe they might think that it's better to see Hongkong go up in smoke than see get democratic concessions which will be a very bad example to mainland and no doubt will create infinite headaches to the CCP back home.

Last edited:

s002wjh

Country flag
china has too many cards to play against hongkong, economy is but one of them. been an island a big chunk of fresh water and energy are coming from mainland too, china can easily mark up price on those if things get out of hand(similar to what russia did in ukrine).
clearly most protestor are students, most adult prefer stability. a revolution always has a significant cost, the former soviet union, arab spring, syria, ukrine the list goes on, democracy is Never free, i think indian poster know this back in the colonial days.
if this was in US or a country already has democracy, then its fine. the issue is HK are part of china, and china always has a hardline policy against democratic movement, so its very unlikely the protestor will get what they want it with alot cost associate to it at the end.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Maybe this is unrelated to the thread, but it is hilarious...

Last edited by a moderator:

amoy

IMO it's over simplistic to view HK Occupy Central demo. as merely for "democracy". The students have more frustrations to vent than for direct election of HK Chief. Economy is one of very important motives becoz the students and many residents don't see their prospect in HK.

First of all have u ever checked carefully who're mostly on the side of HK establishment (SAR govmt) backed by Beijing?? Top business tycoons, headed by such as
- Li Ka-shing the richest man in Asia Li Ka-shing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Tung Chee-hwa OOCL - Your Vital Link to World Trade

"There is good reason to think that Hong Kong, despite its lean public sector, lacks unfettered competition because of distortions in the private sector. Most important may be a wonky property market. In Hong Kong, only the government owns land. It used this monopoly for years to create a shortage that drove up property prices and made developers rich. Tycoons such as Mr Li then used cashflow from real estate—in effect, a government subsidy paid by consumers through higher rents—to expand into unrelated industries. As new rivals appear, the tycoons are using all means at their disposal to fend them off." Business in Hong Kong: In a few hands | The Economist
Beijing stepped into HK with a wrong foot, IMO, to carry on the model of the British rule that saw HK people as "economic animals". Beijing has virtually continued the alliance with the businessmen strata for its clout over HK in high autonomy. However, commoners feel disappointed at the high property price and lack of development and innovation in other sectors that generate opportunities for them.

Also there's anxiety due to China phasing out Hong Kong's role as investment intermediary | Business in Vancouver - China phasing out Hong Kong's role as investment intermediary. Hong Kong's much-touted role as the essential middleman for business between China and the world outside seems to be waning.

Hong Kong's much-touted role as the essential middleman for business between China and the world outside seems to be waning.

Recent figures suggest China no longer feels it is always necessary to channel its foreign investments through Hong Kong "compradores."

China's Ministry of Finance has reported that although its overseas investment was $56.5 billion in the first eight months of this year, up 18.5% on the same period last year, the amount going through Hong Kong fell by 11%.

Economists in Hong Kong are warning that the city's role as an intermediary will continue to diminish.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
china has too many cards to play against hongkong, economy is but one of them. been an island a big chunk of fresh water and energy are coming from mainland too, china can easily mark up price on those if things get out of hand(similar to what russia did in ukrine).
clearly most protestor are students, most adult prefer stability. a revolution always has a significant cost, the former soviet union, arab spring, syria, ukrine the list goes on, democracy is Never free, i think indian poster know this back in the colonial days.
if this was in US or a country already has democracy, then its fine. the issue is HK are part of china, and china always has a hardline policy against democratic movement, so its very unlikely the protestor will get what they want it with alot cost associate to it at the end.
Unlike Ukraine to Russia, Hongkong is not another country. It is really part of China. What the demonstrators only want is to be able to directly elect their leader.

The fact that these protesters are students should not be a cause for celebration in Beijing. For most likely this is is the future sentiment of the Hongkong people that they are seeing on Central and Wan Chai. Interstingly, increasingly the younger generation Hongkongers seem to be against Beijing. I'm sure Deng did not have this in mind when he formulated the 1 country 2 systems policy. He must have thought that over time Hongkong people will align with mainland China.

BTW, Hongkong demonstrations have a fairly good record of getting the results they wanted.

amoy

In addition to the above mentioned "economy" factor, Beijing's another failure is in the "One Country, Two Systems" design.

Let's see the main differences btwn the Pro-Beijing establishment and so-called "Pro-Democracy" camp (I think such tags like "pro democracy" are funny as both claim they're on the side of "democracy")

Despite allowing "one-person, one-vote" in the 2017 chief executive election, the proposal would effectively allow Beijing to control the selection of candidates at the nomination stage. In past elections, candidates from the pan-democratic camp were able to run, but had virtually zero chance of winning majority support from an election committee stacked with pro-Beijing loyalists.
It's indeed a failure as after 17 years of return to China Beijing still is afraid of a "direct" election may lead to "overseas forces are meddling in the Hong Kong affairs". But are below unfounded?

Pro-Beijing Media Accuses Hong Kong Student Leader of U.S. Government Ties - China Real Time Report - WSJ
Jimmy Lai denies foreign ties and funding - The Standard

The Union Jack protesters were lifting.

Dhairya Yadav

did you read my post, my point was these kids are immature, idealistic, and too haste to make decision without thinking the consequence. consider most of the protester are 21 or younger. they didnt wait for the detail regarding election to come out, then just decide to paralyze the financial district and block off major highway without thinking about others (guess what HK stock dip 500 pts today).

There WERE NEVER freedom/election under british, all the governor of HK prior97 were appointed by british without any saying from HK, find me a creditable link say otherwise.

its not gonna grow into mainland, did Arab spring trigger movement in mainland, again it shows you have no contact with chinese mainlander. most mainlander worry about jobs, environment, corruption, democracy is last on their mind, especially if at the cost of destabilization.

the current protestor are 4-5% of entire HK population, unless there are hundreds thousands-million protestor nothing gonna change. it also show how many HK dont care or against the HK student movement.

what the student try to achieve, a free election? guess what, any elected official gonna have to cozy up with CCP, cause HK economy depend on it. for economy? they are damage it now. for freedom of press/protest? they already has those.
I somewhat agree that what they are doing by paralyzing HK's financial area is completely wrong. they are just harming economic growth of themselves and disturbing normal life of citizens. I cannot say if they should or shouldnt continue with the protests at such a high level, But with the kind of power CCP holds, only protests of these levels might show any effect against them.

By freedoms, i meant freedom of speech, freedom of press etc. Do you really think CCP will tolerate this? They have already blocked Instagram, and many other social networking sites in mainland to not let the chinese populations know about protests, as these could embolden the pro-democracy groups in Mainland.

And Sir, If I may tell you, 4-5% of population is a lot. And some people might be against these protests, but Im damn sure nobody is not caring about them.

Last edited:

Compersion

Country flag
I am somewhat a little disappointed with the protesters in hong kong. i thought they would have a message of non-violence and make the police arrest them and fill the jails up. it seems that what they are fighting for is not worth being arrested. what they are fighting is the police which is wrong and the message is derailed. probably it is a lack of direction. probably lack of maturity. they seem to run away and fearful that hong kong police will harm them. instead they ought to sit down and not move it is their right. but somesay the main protests are coming up on 1-2 October. thats where the action is. but who knows it is lack of direction it seems not headed by smart people. these students seem to be a warmup before the real people come in. not sure they are at the level of planning and message deliverly like m.gandhi, m.l.king, mandela, etc, etc.

another thing is that the high concentration of high-technology and speed network in hong kong makes this protest real-time activity for many. they are instantly updated and also move in a concentration. this has a big chance of sabotage. also the area is not large yet they are able to disturb financial activity. seem people got frightened when there was a risk of violence and that made people run away and not join in the protests. that really sums up the mood it is being too confrontational on both sides it seems. when the onus ought to be on non-violence and the message what they are asking for.

(the image might not be the guns used to fire the rubber bullets but the ones to fire tear gas - i am not sure)

on the other side one can say you will find no other city in the world where such a large group can protest peacefully and not loot and break shop windows and cause destruction. also the protesters seem to be cleaning up garbage afterwards.

another aspect that might be explored later is many of the police have their faces covered. is it possible that these people are from PRC ... is it possible the police of hong kong is being controlled and directed by the PRC authorities since it is a emergency type situation and control taken over from hong kong civilian authority.
there is a bunch of holidays coming up and also the weekend. its going to be a good few days of activity it seems. the main action will start tonight it seems ... getting ready to shoot rubber bullets at people is a dramatic escalation on on students one is not sure what the message is ...

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
If China does anything close to Tianamen Square in Hong Kong, then there could be heavy trade-sanctions, according to market analysts:

Hong Kong Protests Trigger New Worries for China's Economy - Businessweek

"If Hong Kong's status as an international financial center were jeopardized by such a nasty turn of events—as it presumably would be—then China's own economy would suffer," wrote Capital Economics' Leather and his colleague John Higgins in a second note released on Tuesday. "And if China attempted to resolve the problem in a heavy-handed way, the rest of the world might respond—say by imposing trade sanctions on China, or by seeking to limit her influence in global policymaking."
If New York crooks are growing the balls to threaten consequences for China, then things must be really bad.

Last edited:

tramp

Any opposition to an oppressive regime that has ruled for a long time begins with a small incident. And then snowballs. That is what Beijing is scared of.

Especially when the rulers have kept many mainland cities suffering after growth slowdown on a tight leash by censorship and repression.

If the CCP is confident that the youth have been indoctrinated enough/tame enough they would not need that kind of strong censorship. The situation in China is a clear lesson in repression... that a regime that embarks on a repressive path once can never relax.... because of two reasons ... One because the oppressors continue to become more and more paranoid and the oppressed more and more thirsty for rumours against the regime that prevents free flow of information. Both spur more repression, eventually leading to an eruption somewhere.

Without China finding a way to ease the situation in Hong Kong soon, there will be continued build up. But pushed for survival, the party with a leadership that will not want to lose the comforts gained over the ages may resort to more oppression.

mylegend

After following the movement for a while, I would say the government need to give in the some if not almost all demand of students and occupy group. Unlike mainland where poor general education could cause a severely dysfunctional democracy. Hong Kong's resident's average income , average education level, and existing system of law should be able to support a functional democracy. However, there should be two pre-condition, all who cooperate with foreign parties, received payment from US and UK government should be punished. Any speech of independence should be consider as treason after full democracy is established. UK's position is also hilarious because it never even consider democracy in HK.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles