The World's Greatest Martial Arts

Rage

DFI TEAM
The World's Greatest Martial Arts

This thread is dedicated exclusively to the martial arts. Here, you will come across forms you've known of, and some of which you've never heard.

As having a great interest in the martial arts, I thought I'd share some of what I've come across with you.

This will be a very serious thread. No fanboy stuff please.

I will start off with an art form I highly recommend, it's called <<Pentchak Silat>> and originated in the Malay Archipelago and Indonesia. The system incorporates Hindu, Arabian and Chinese weapons and fighting methods, Indian grappling techniques, Siamese costumes and Nepalese music. Silat is based on a system of principles, which is in turn based on physics, allowing practitioners to fight in the most efficient manner possible.

http://kuntaosilat.com/PentjakSilat.htm

It is to me the most deadly art that exists. And if I had any say, it would be a part of the training for all RAW officials.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rage

DFI TEAM
This video contrasts two different fighting styles: Kali and Silat

Kali or Kali Eskrima is a fillipino martial art, native to the south of Phillipines and that emphasizes fighting with a number of implements: originally used in the wars against the Spanish, it is now widely practiced in the Phillipines and North America.

Rage

DFI TEAM

Rage

DFI TEAM
The following are everyday streetfighting techniques, you can use to defend yourself in any event

p2prada

One more art form that is equally deadly is Muay Thai.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Currently Krav Maga and Jiu Jitsu are very popular for street self defense, while traditional martial arts are still strong as sports disciplines.

S.A.T.A

Thread is called world's greatest martial arts and no mention of "Kalaripayyatu"?

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Please put some links on kalari too.
Its a free forum innit ? :)

S.A.T.A

There are not many good videos on YouTube, to be honest. The traditional Kalari gurukkal's are,like most things in kerala, very protective of their art and discourage mass exhibition. The ones that you see are not quite traditional and lots of it only focus on the traditional massage and exercise parts.... Let's see if I can find any good ones...

Chinmoy

Country flag
When talking of Indian martial arts, the very first art comes to our mind in Kalari. But there are some more unknown art form present here which have not got the exposure. Example. Huyen Ianglon from Manipur.

Here is a video of the armed combat part of Huyen Ianglon, commonly known as Thang-Ta.

Last edited:

armyofhind

Country flag
Oh well, since someone decided to post in this thread, I got to know that it even exists.

Martial arts and their efficacy depends a lot on what you want to use it for. As a sport form, or a way to stay fit, I guess one can go ahead and practice any martial art there is.

But if you're looking for something applicable in real life situations, don't believe any bullshit. Most traditional martial arts like Kalaripayattu, Sanatan Shastra Vidya, Karate, Taekwondo etc etc are useless when it comes to the street, in today's scenario.

As someone who practices JKD and PTK myself, I can tell you for a fact that these two "systems", since they are not really "arts" , are some of the most deadly effective systems you can teach yourself.
JKD is good enough for striking and fighting barehanded, and PTK will teach you how to use blades, and weapons of opportunity. PTK also has a component of unarmed combat, which is especially effective in extreme close quarters - clinch fighting range.

Krav Maga is also good, but I feel it lacks the foundational backing that is present in dedicated systems. Krav Maga is more of a mish-mash of techniques from various martial arts.

And if you really want to learn something really quick, you can find someone to teach you Rapid Assault Tactics. Its a quick to grasp system developed by Sifu Paul Vunak, and incorporates techniques from Wing Chun, JKD, and Kali into an effective style.
For consideration, its the unarmed combat system taught to ST6.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles