The tragedy of dying languages

HEILTAMIL

Tamil has evolved much over time... and if somebody who lived and died in the 18th century comes back and insists today's Tamil people should speak his language because that is the more pure form, nobody is going to listen to it.
Total isolation is the only way to preserve the purity of any language. But with human interaction growing, languages evolve borrowing words/syllables from another language. And over a period of time it will be difficult to recognise the more pure form of language.
For eg... I do not think even the most hardcore Tamil language lovers will enjoy trying to decipher Sangam era Tamil.
there is nothing to decipher sangam tamil, you are taught in schools to read and understand the sangam tamil, every well educated tamil can understand it,
languages live only when new words are constructed accordingly at every new era as per the requirements like for instanc in france check what they are doing to uphold french in technical side, it might help you, thators what the article describes as well,

a language or its speakers not necessarily be totally isolated but let it live, like not by state imposing a foreign language upon them, languages which are not put in use and which are not constructed as per the new requirements will die!!, our plight is don't let it die.
@arya
last time i checked, your suggestion was imposed on communist china to gain economic gains which has its repercussions,

let us remember it is not the oil pipelines or skyscrapers which brings happiness but absolute knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:

tramp

there is nothing to decipher sangam tamil, you are taught in schools to read and understand the sangam tamil, every well educated tamil can understand it,
languages live only when new words are constructed accordingly at every new era as per the requirements like for instanc in france check what they are doing to uphold french in technical side, it might help you, thators what the article describes as well,

a language or its speakers not necessarily be totally isolated but let it live, like not by state imposing a foreign language upon them, languages which are not put in use and which are not constructed as per the new requirements will die!!, our plight is don't let it die.
@arya
last time i checked, your suggestion was imposed on communist china to gain economic gains which has its repercussions,

let us remember it is not the oil pipelines or skyscrapers which brings happiness but absolute knowledge
I meant a common man, an person uninitiated in ancient Tamil, will not understand Sangam Tamil.
There is no harm in continuing to use a language if you feel comfortable. But it should not become a dogma. And for the same reason I hate when people insist all primary education should be in native language, irrespective of whether somebody wants its that way or not. That is imposing one's language on others who happen to live in the state for unrelated reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

HEILTAMIL

I meant a common man, an person uninitiated in ancient Tamil, will not understand Sangam Tamil.
There is no harm in continuing to use a language if you feel comfortable. But it should not become a dogma. And for the same reason I hate when people insist all primary education should be in native language, irrespective of whether somebody wants its that way or not. That is imposing one's language on others who happen to live in the state for unrelated reasons.
even common man's language directly hails from the classical, it becomes broken when the system fails to construct and evolve with its roots,
as u suggested an illiterate need not to be included then neither the persons who just happen to live for unrelated reasons in the union,
it is good that you share the same belief system of linguists and common people who want to protect their language, this trend of not imposing a foreign language upon people who doesn't want it should popularize then

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles