The Syrian Crisis

KS

Bye bye DFI
In the case of Syria, Russia is desperately trying to cling on to its old Soviet ME grandeur. Things are not looking up for its effort, it's too exhausted diplomatically and militarily, and it is going up against a region-wide popular sentiment...
They just want their syrian naval base of Tartus to be intact. Cannot fault them for thinking that way. It gives them a vital toehold in the Mediterranean.

pack leader

Professional
So what about American weapons used against Palestinian civilians ..Ohh i forgot it's USA ..angel of PEACE ..!! :tsk:
genius we make 70% off all our weapons and if the need arises we can make 100%
Israel is a first world nuclear power not a third world shithole like Syria
Palestinians can only blame themselves the were offered peace numerous times
go troll somewhere else :crazy::crazy:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Adding to the arsenal and making Russian 'presence' cognizable!

Apparently, Russia wants to maintain a toehold in the Middle East!

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
genius we make 70% off all our weapons and if the need arises we can make 100%
Israel is a first world nuclear power not a third world shithole like Syria
Palestinians can only blame themselves the were offered peace numerous times
go troll somewhere else :crazy::crazy:
LOL ..I was being Sarcastic ..I know what Syria is doing with it's citizens ...Russia providing Syria with Yak-130 is just for the sake of it and a symbolic gesture to make the world believe that they are with Syrian lunatics against the west who want to topple their regime ...:sad::sad:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Adding to the arsenal and making Russian 'presence' cognizable!

Apparently, Russia wants to maintain a toehold in the Middle East!
Another photo.

pmaitra

This would be an effective ground attack aircraft especially against Syrian civilian demonstrators on the ground...
It will also be effective against armed rebels. Armed persons are combatants, not civilians.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What I'm seeing on the news aren't exactly armed. But I must agree there are armed anti-Assad forces there. But what are they to do after the earlier brutal crackdown on peaceful demonstrators, using APCs and tanks..? Even with rifles I doubt these anti-Assad forces stand a chance against mechanised and professional forces.

pmaitra

What I'm seeing on the news aren't exactly armed. But I must agree there are armed anti-Assad forces there. But what are they to do after the earlier brutal crackdown on peaceful demonstrators, using APCs and tanks..? Even with rifles I doubt these anti-Assad forces stand a chance against mechanised and professional forces.
Not all the victims of Assad were armed, no doubt about that. However, many of these 'civilians' actually have weapons, mostly smuggled across the border from Turkey.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Maybe that's because they have the benefit of hindsight from the failed experience of Iran's purely unarmed Green movement to Lybia's experience of a successful armed peaceful-turned-armed rebellion.

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
15,000 elite Iranian special-ops 'head' to Syria
The regime of Bashar al-Assad in Syria is expecting up to 15,000 Iranian troops to help maintain order in the country's provinces, a Chinese newspaper reports. Iran has yet to confirm or deny the news.According to the central Chinese daily Renmin Ribao, the Iranian special task troops are due to be deployed in Syria's key provinces.
The Syrian opposition announced earlier that commander of Iran's elite Quds Force, Qassem Suleimani, advises the Syrian authorities on quashing the country's opposition movement, the Telegraph newspaper reports.According to the Israeli daily Haaretz, the Quds Force includes 15,000 elite soldiers, who operated in Iraq and other wars on foreign soil. The Quds is reportedly in charge of training and funding Hezbollah.
The number of advisers and troops from the Quds in Syria could reach up to high hundreds or low thousands, the Telegraph reports. The newspaper said that they have set up at least one military base near the capital Damascus.Official Tehran has neither confirmed nor refuted the news of its military participation in Syria. However, according to the head of the country's state news agency Mehr, it is not in Iran's plans to send any military contingent to the country."As far as I know there is not and will not be any program to dispatch Iranian military troops to Syria," Reza Moghadasi told in his interview to Voice of Russia radio station.
Israeli website debka.com announced earlier that the UK and Qatari forces are involved with the conflict in Syria, directing tactics of the opposition forces in the bloody battle for Homs. According to the website, the presence of the foreign troops topped the agenda of talks Russia's foreign intelligence chief Fradkov and Foreign Minister Lavrov held with Assad's officials on Tuesday.
Syrian tanks and Assad's troops reportedly massed outside Homs on Friday. A large offensive is expected to hit the city and its neighborhood in the nearest future.Up to 110 people have reportedly been killed in Homs on Thursday. As of yet, it is impossible to verify the number of casualties.

IBSA

Country flag
I suspect that West and Iran are using the Syrian Civil War as a test field for their forces before a possible war between them starts, as the Nazis and Soviets used the Spanish Civil War as a laboratory for the WWII.

agentperry

not just muslim brotherhood. one country is very difficult to get over. this is a smart and very dangerous move by iran but i think in the end iran will burn its own hands. its mixing global politics into mid east politics. soon i think arab forces will try to break a straight forward war or words with iran.
interesting time ahead

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If Iranian Spec Ops are inducted, then things will go worse.

However, it is not unusual that Iran wants to help Assad, who is a Shia and Syria is some sort of a Shia outpost in
West Middle East and a balance against the Sunni Arabs!

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The Iranian regime's downfall will come through Syria. Once Assad is removed despite his ruthless suppression of protesters and Iran's Revolutionary Guards and Quds forces direct intervention to prop him up then the anti-Ayatollah forces in Iran will only be emboldened. The second front will be Iran itself, this time with the regime severely weakened.

For the Arab and Western alliance against Iran this is the safest route to defeating the Iranian regime, through willing (unwitting) proxies...

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles