The Su-35 flies to China

huaxia rox

Brahmos cost $3 ----ing million and weigh 3 tons, not every ----ing ship can be armed with it.
Well you need to less worry about Brahmos and Klub-N/S and more about this new Japanese supersonic anti-ship missile, ASM-3

�ձ��������ͳ����ٷ����������ڶԿ��й���ĸ_���˾���_������

:japan:
1 if you can spend 300 million bucks on making one warship that is above 4000 ton displacement i dont see why you think 3 million is too expensive or 3 tons is too much for putting the missile on it........

2 you havnt told me why you comaking PAK FA and developing AMCA but still so eager to buy rafale.....rafale is real cheap???or T-50 is not good???

3 thank you for your info but long range supersonic ASM is something often seen in the world.....unlike manned spaceship dont know whats so special about it......

huaxia rox

I will be disappointed too. For you it is a loss of face. For me it is providing a potential adversary with a powerful technology. Personally, I don't like it.

I think I said the same a long time ago.
for chinese the uncomfirmed deal sounds very unreasonable because the only thing prc now can not develop and match russian at this point of time is the engine alone but nothing else.....

when it comes to tech development prc has dumpped a very large amount of money on things like ballistic missiles or nuclear weapons or space tech so although there is basically noting for prc to buy or copy because all those are of strategic level but still prc is good at making those now....why?? money counts and old generation political leaders believed strategic weapon and tech is much more important for a nation so all the efforts have been put there (for a developing country that also means no too much left for other fileds).........

and when it comes to making fighter jet the only thing prc lacks is engine but not other avionics (be it radar or fly control system or small things like HUD) that already have matched or at least very close to what su-35 may have......the reason why chinese make avionics a bit better than jet engine when they have both been deemed not very strategic is because i think prc can purchased some avionics products along with technology transfer or direct help from israel and ukraine.....and also from some EU nations according to different references (so even if you copy stuff.... weather or not you can get help from the original maker has to be different).....but for engine no one has sold any useful and advanced tech to prc (israel and ukraine are not good jet engine maker...Russia EU just wouldnt sell the tech).....plus when no enough money was invested then we see what we can see now.......

after saying all these.....the situation has been changed for at least a few years in prc.....jet engine alone has got a lot of attentions and i myself think in the next 5 years stuff like 117S will become some easy job for prc......and we all know how fast some fighter jets can be dilivered....especially from russia........

Last edited:

ice berg

The answer is time frame. Rafales are meant to replace aging Mig-27s while PMF is meant for a different purpose.

I had already explained in detail at least two times.

The answer is time frame. J-20 and J-31 are for the next decade. Su-35 is for this decade. If we assume what the Chinese Col said is correct, you need Russian engine technology to push J-20 forward. Also, the Japanese and Koreans aren't sitting around. They are inducting advanced 4.5th gen aircraft and you already know India's procurement status. So, China will have to follow suit to keep up. You can't fight Super MKIs and F-15J and Ks with J-11As and Bs only, you will need J-17(?) and Su-35.

A decade is a long time.
J-20 is for this decade. PLAAF generals has stated very clearly that the timeframe is 2017-2018.

And the part of unnamed chinese senior Col is just bull. Engines is about material sciences. Just look India. You can take as much looks you want on a russian engine. It wont help you develope your own. You can not duplicate an engine if your material science is not advanced enough. If your material science is advanced enough, then you dont need to look for other countries engines in the first place. So either way it dont make any sense.
Besides signing a contract in 2013 to take a look at the engines, isnt that rather late, you think? Espesially when that engine was offered for sale.

p2prada

J-20 is for this decade. PLAAF generals has stated very clearly that the timeframe is 2017-2018.
You clearly do not understand what I said.

Okay, let me explain. After your aircraft is inducted you will need to get at least 100000 hours fleet wide so that your air force can learn how to maintain and use the aircraft properly.

How long will you take to get at least a 100 aircraft in your force and how long before you clock 100000 hours?

Do you understand what it means by that? You don't induct one or two aircraft in 2017-18 and then call it a fighting force. You need a decade to get to it.

Comparatively how long would it take for you learn and utilize the Su-35, much much faster, especially if you sign a contract this year and start getting Su-35s from 2016. That's because you already have Flanker experience.

And the part of unnamed chinese senior Col is just bull.
Okay. Your negotiations for the Su-35s must be for some collector in the CCP. :laugh:

Or it is possible your entire J-11 series failed to achieve targets and hence you need Russian help.

Or you need the Su-35s because your own industry isn't capable of building a Flanker more advanced than it.

You see, that unnamed senior Col's reasons results in a lesser loss of face compared to the other options above.

Engines is about material sciences. Just look India. You can take as much looks you want on a russian engine. It wont help you develope your own.
It is not India's policy to reverse engineer such large technologies. According to our scientists there is no point in doing it, nor is it good for IPR either.

It is not that we cannot manufacture it, it is that, even if we did, it won't be "advanced" by the time it is Indianized. If we go by the universal view that the Su-35s were purchased for the 117S, then just consider the fact that this engine is not a 5th gen engine. It is a late 4th gen engine. You see, when we can pay and get advanced 5th gen engines through JVs like PAkFA, why waste time and money trying to get an early 4th gen engine like the AL-31FP and then not even achieve something like the 117S irrespective of the fact that Item 30 will be a step ahead.

The IAF rejected the M88-3 ECO saying they want a more advanced engine in the GTRE-Snecma deal. According to the French, the ECO is a 5th gen engine. It simply doesn't make sense to reverse engineer an obsolete engine like the AL-31 designed in the 80s.

Besides signing a contract in 2013 to take a look at the engines, isnt that rather late, you think?
Not necessary. J-20 may also follow PAKFA's footsteps. Get the aircraft ready now, achieve IOC (117 on PAKFA) on other systems and get a new engine for FOC (Item 30), maybe beyond.

Item 30 will undergo bench testing in 2014 and a supposed induction in 2017. PAKFA is to be inducted in 2015. Would be quite applicable to J-20 too, don't you think?

Espesially when that engine was offered for sale.
If the engine alone was offered, then the ToT involved would be minimal. ToT from a Su-35 purchase would be greater.

That is considering PLA only wants the engine and not other avionics like the Irbis-E.

p2prada

for chinese the uncomfirmed deal sounds very unreasonable because the only thing prc now can not develop and match russian at this point of time is the engine alone but nothing else.....
The lack of an engine alone has killed so many programs in the past.

p2prada

Similar performance in power only, it takes 60s to scan 120° forward/10° thin.
Source please.

It lacks multi-mode, low observable scan, quick scan and short maintenance schedules. It also lacks any expandability into future technology application. It is a dead-end technology Russia keeps wasting time with.

It is not as simple as comparing power outputs, Irbis is deficient in all other areas which are quite IMPORTANT.
I am 100% sure that by referring to the Irbis-E as a dead end technology, you have insulted the Rafale's RBE-2 PESA as well, irrespective of the fact that RBE-2 can do all that you already mentioned above while the Irbis-E only betters existing capability and also adds newer capabilities.

Both RBE-2 and Irbis-E (even Bars) have multiple modes. Heck, Thales takes pride in the fact that Rafale is not just multirole, but omnirole. You can't have an omnirole fighter if the radar could not handle multiple modes at once. A PESA can do it.

Low observable scan or, really, LPI is available on all PESA radars, AESA radars only betters it. Heck even your cell phone is programmed to do it.

Quick scan, yes, both RBE-2 and Irbis-E should have extremely fast scan rates, that easily match AESA.

Short maintenance schedules. The most important drawback of any non-AESA radar. Can't be helped, both radars have this disadvantage due to the use of a single source of power.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
based on NIIP scan of 100sq degree
I am 100% sure that by referring to the Irbis-E as a dead end technology, you have insulted the Rafale's RBE-2 PESA as well, irrespective of the fact that RBE-2 can do all that you already mentioned above while the Irbis-E only betters existing capability and also adds newer capabilities.

Both RBE-2 and Irbis-E (even Bars) have multiple modes. Heck, Thales takes pride in the fact that Rafale is not just multirole, but omnirole. You can't have an omnirole fighter if the radar could not handle multiple modes at once. A PESA can do it.

Low observable scan or, really, LPI is available on all PESA radars, AESA radars only betters it. Heck even your cell phone is programmed to do it.

Quick scan, yes, both RBE-2 and Irbis-E should have extremely fast scan rates, that easily match AESA.

Short maintenance schedules. The most important drawback of any non-AESA radar. Can't be helped, both radars have this disadvantage due to the use of a single source of power.
RBE2 PESA has the same limitations of all PESA arrays. It only achieves LPI thanks to a lower power output which enables more bandwidth and easier processing requirements. It still does not meet the level of RBE2 AA LPI and at much less power. It simply isn't possible to achieve the same on a single transmitter even with Rafale's high processing power. This is where an AESA array on the same chipset takes the technology to another level = more power and lower LPI.

They have several modes but they can't enact them simultaneously as an AESA array can. One AESA equipped Rafale scan takes 3-4 MKIs to do the same job and they don't do it with LPI.

The scan rate of a PESA radar can never match that of an AESA. You are talking about a 1 element spotlight vs 1000 lightning fast lasers.

ice berg

You clearly do not understand what I said.

Okay, let me explain. After your aircraft is inducted you will need to get at least 100000 hours fleet wide so that your air force can learn how to maintain and use the aircraft properly.

How long will you take to get at least a 100 aircraft in your force and how long before you clock 100000 hours?

Do you understand what it means by that? You don't induct one or two aircraft in 2017-18 and then call it a fighting force. You need a decade to get to it.

You said J-20 and J-31 is for the next decade. How can I know you meant induction or combat ready. ROFL
Comparatively how long would it take for you learn and utilize the Su-35, much much faster, especially if you sign a contract this year and start getting Su-35s from 2016. That's because you already have Flanker experience.

Face palm. What about J-10s that are flying today? If China can build upon their experiences on flankers, then they can do that on J-10As as well. It will even be easier. Su-35 is a russian jet. J10 and J20 are chinese jets. You tell me what is the easier path.
Okay. Your negotiations for the Su-35s must be for some collector in the CCP. :laugh:

Face palm again. We are not talking about whether they buy Su-35 or not. We are debating the reasons behind it. Get it?
Or it is possible your entire J-11 series failed to achieve targets and hence you need Russian help.

Or you need the Su-35s because your own industry isn't capable of building a Flanker more advanced than it.

Both are possible. Another reason may be bottleneck in design and production. CAC has responsibility for J-10B, J20 and possible JXX. SAC has responsibility for J-11,J-15, J-16, J-31, JXX. Now ask yourself this question: Are they able to do all that AND develope another version of flanker on top of that?
PLAAF is induction two squadrons of jets every year. They have more than 600 3.gen jets waiting to be replaces. If you cant increase the productions, what do you do?
You see, that unnamed senior Col's reasons results in a lesser loss of face compared to the other options above.

I will believe that when there is a name behind that. Cause that statement didnt make sense.
It is not India's policy to reverse engineer such large technologies. According to our scientists there is no point in doing it, nor is it good for IPR either.

It is not that we cannot manufacture it, it is that, even if we did, it won't be "advanced" by the time it is Indianized. If we go by the universal view that the Su-35s were purchased for the 117S, then just consider the fact that this engine is not a 5th gen engine. It is a late 4th gen engine. You see, when we can pay and get advanced 5th gen engines through JVs like PAkFA, why waste time and money trying to get an early 4th gen engine like the AL-31FP and then not even achieve something like the 117S irrespective of the fact that Item 30 will be a step ahead.

BS. Nobody is gonna give you advanced tech like engines. Such strategic tech are guarded. The fact that India is yet to have a SINGLE engine working is testimony of that despite JV with France and RUssia and you name it. Provide us with a source that says Russia is gonna give India their 5-gen engine tech.
The IAF rejected the M88-3 ECO saying they want a more advanced engine in the GTRE-Snecma deal. According to the French, the ECO is a 5th gen engine. It simply doesn't make sense to reverse engineer an obsolete engine like the AL-31 designed in the 80s.

Not necessary. J-20 may also follow PAKFA's footsteps. Get the aircraft ready now, achieve IOC (117 on PAKFA) on other systems and get a new engine for FOC (Item 30), maybe beyond.
And they do have a backup plan. Reverse engineering Su-35 engine is not part of it.
Item 30 will undergo bench testing in 2014 and a supposed induction in 2017. PAKFA is to be inducted in 2015. Would be quite applicable to J-20 too, don't you think?
We dont know the interim engines for J-20.

If the engine alone was offered, then the ToT involved would be minimal. ToT from a Su-35 purchase would be greater.
They are not looking for ToT either. They know they wont get any and are not asking for it either. It all depends on why they bought it in the first place. Was it because of production bottleneck? Was it to lessen the workload of SAC? I dont think ToT is really part of it.
That is considering PLA only wants the engine and not other avionics like the Irbis-E.
I doubt they want a PESA radar when they already got AESA. And like I said, engines was for sale. They didnt need to buy Su-35 just because of the engines.

p2prada

They have several modes but they can't enact them simultaneously as an AESA array can. One AESA equipped Rafale scan takes 3-4 MKIs to do the same job and they don't do it with LPI.
I hardly doubt that figure is true. The frequency agility of the AESA cannot be matched by AESA, but the beamforming and beam scanning methods of the AESA and PESA are the same.

So, saying 3-4 PESAs are needed to match one AESA is nonsense.

LPI has nothing to do with PESA, AESA or MS.

The scan rate of a PESA radar can never match that of an AESA. You are talking about a 1 element spotlight vs 1000 lightning fast lasers.
Do you even know what PESA is?

You are comparing a MS array to an ESA, not PESA to AESA.

Even PESA has your 1000 lightning fast lasers.

p2prada

Face palm. What about J-10s that are flying today? If China can build upon their experiences on flankers, then they can do that on J-10As as well. It will even be easier. Su-35 is a russian jet. J10 and J20 are chinese jets. You tell me what is the easier path.
What about them? They have nothing to do with what we are discussing, neither do they have to come in.

J-11 - Su-35 - J-20 path does not have a J-10 in it.

Face palm again. We are not talking about whether they buy Su-35 or not. We are debating the reasons behind it. Get it?
Huh! Yes, we are, and my first point was sarcasm.

Both are possible. Another reason may be bottleneck in design and production. CAC has responsibility for J-10B, J20 and possible JXX. SAC has responsibility for J-11,J-15, J-16, J-31, JXX. Now ask yourself this question: Are they able to do all that AND develope another version of flanker on top of that?
If SAC had the capability then they would have aimed for a Su-35 level aircraft rather than J-11B.

J-11/J-15/J-16 are all very similar in certain parameters, quite like how Russia is able to deliver Su-30MKK, MKI, Su-35 and Su-34 at once, while working on PAKFA, PMF and Su-25 replacement.

SAC J-31 and J-XX could very well be similar in some parameters, if not the same aircraft.

You simply don't have the time to sit and develop a Su-35 equivalent. Nothing to do with production bottleneck. You start now, you will take a decade to get it done. No point inducting J-17s(?) when you have the J-20 to induct.

PLAAF is induction two squadrons of jets every year. They have more than 600 3.gen jets waiting to be replaces. If you cant increase the productions, what do you do?
PLAAF is not thinking of replacing bird for bird. Rather looking for greater capability with lesser numbers.

I will believe that when there is a name behind that. Cause that statement didnt make sense.
To me it did. He only talks about the engine. Of course, he is unnamed, so there are doubts to the credibility, but he is making the right noises.

A bottleneck in the number of projects seems least likely looking at how the Russians are able to do more (entirely different Flankers and 5th gen) with significantly lesser orders.

BS. Nobody is gonna give you advanced tech like engines. Such strategic tech are guarded. The fact that India is yet to have a SINGLE engine working is testimony of that despite JV with France and RUssia and you name it. Provide us with a source that says Russia is gonna give India their 5-gen engine tech.
You will be surprised what they can do just to churn out a better profit.

The British and French are already waiting in line. They want a strategic partnership with what could be among the top three economies in the world.

The Russians have no need to hide their engine from us. Full ToT may take a decade to arrive, like it did for AL-31FP, but it will come. Like I already said, we don't need every bit of detail simply because we are not going to reverse engineer it. We are looking for JV partners instead.

The Americans are willing to export their best engine too.

Kaveri K-9 is the result of short sightedness on part of ADA in not compensating for weight increases in the LCA program. That's the crux of the matter. The IAF and IN have asked for an aircraft that K-9 cannot be used in, heck only two existing engines can be used in LCA Mk2 today, that's F-414 and EJ-200. Apart from that, K-9 will be used in AURA. K-9 failed in 2004 and was delinked only so it cannot delay LCA. Today, K-9 is delivering the thrust expected at the start of the program and hence will be used in other programs. As with other engine programs, there will be gradual upgrades to the engine in the future.

And they do have a backup plan. Reverse engineering Su-35 engine is not part of it.
Too early to tell. The engines may be required to test the J-20. Even PAKFA cannot complete testing without the new 117 upgrade to 165 KN.

I doubt they want a PESA radar when they already got AESA. And like I said, engines was for sale. They didnt need to buy Su-35 just because of the engines.
Then the most likely is the inability to produce a Flanker as advanced or more advanced than the Su-35 in a short period of time.

With J-10A, PLAAF has J-11A and J-11B for your 4th gen requirement. With J-10B, PLAAF doesn't have an advanced Flanker, so there is a break in the link when it comes to a 4.5th gen fighter requirement. Hence an import.

So, it may plug the gap between your previous decades J-11A/B and the time it will take for J-20 to arrive.

ice berg

What about them? They have nothing to do with what we are discussing, neither do they have to come in.

J-11 - Su-35 - J-20 path does not have a J-10 in it.

J10B-J-20, and Su-27 - Su-35. That is far more logical than moving from Su-35 to J-20
Huh! Yes, we are, and my first point was sarcasm.

If SAC had the capability then they would have aimed for a Su-35 level aircraft rather than J-11B.

Obviously not, back then, J11 is basically a clone of Su-27. J-11B is only a minor improvement on that.
J-11/J-15/J-16 are all very similar in certain parameters, quite like how Russia is able to deliver Su-30MKK, MKI, Su-35 and Su-34 at once, while working on PAKFA, PMF and Su-25 replacement.
Not sure of your "certain parameters". That is no small feat to develope all those aircrafts at once. I dont think China is as familiar with the flankers as the russians, yet.
SAC J-31 and J-XX could very well be similar in some parameters, if not the same aircraft.

Nop, the competition of JXX is yet to start. The rumour is JXX is bigger than J-31
You simply don't have the time to sit and develop a Su-35 equivalent. Nothing to do with production bottleneck. You start now, you will take a decade to get it done. No point inducting J-17s(?) when you have the J-20 to induct.

I think there is a bottleneck in design and production. Or you got any evidence that there is no production bottleneck? Dude, CAC and SAC produce around 50 jets a year. Any idea the number of 3-gen jets in PLAAF and PLAN? Take a guess.
PLAAF is not thinking of replacing bird for bird. Rather looking for greater capability with lesser numbers.

How is 24 Su-35s gonna provide the increased capability? The future war is about battlespace management. A single jet is not gonna change the balance. SU-35 can not be linked to existing chinese networks.
To me it did. He only talks about the engine. Of course, he is unnamed, so there are doubts to the credibility, but he is making the right noises.
No , it is not. I already told you the engines were offered to the chinese. They do not need to buy the jets to get access to the engines.
A bottleneck in the number of projects seems least likely looking at how the Russians are able to do more (entirely different Flankers and 5th gen) with significantly lesser orders.

You forgot that the soviet/russia made the flankers to begin with. That they can do it, dosnt means China can do it. China has come far in the last decade. But they are not yet on par with Russian when it comes to flankers.
You will be surprised what they can do just to churn out a better profit.

The British and French are already waiting in line. They want a strategic partnership with what could be among the top three economies in the world.

The Russians have no need to hide their engine from us. Full ToT may take a decade to arrive, like it did for AL-31FP, but it will come. Like I already said, we don't need every bit of detail simply because we are not going to reverse engineer it. We are looking for JV partners instead.

The question is what does JV entitles. My guess is they will deliver less than what India desired.
The Americans are willing to export their best engine too.
Export, yes, not ToT. I never question their desire to sell engines to India. Only their willingness to provide ToT.
Kaveri K-9 is the result of short sightedness on part of ADA in not compensating for weight increases in the LCA program. That's the crux of the matter. The IAF and IN have asked for an aircraft that K-9 cannot be used in, heck only two existing engines can be used in LCA Mk2 today, that's F-414 and EJ-200. Apart from that, K-9 will be used in AURA. K-9 failed in 2004 and was delinked only so it cannot delay LCA. Today, K-9 is delivering the thrust expected at the start of the program and hence will be used in other programs. As with other engine programs, there will be gradual upgrades to the engine in the future.
Dosnt change the fact it is still under developement. There is no production engines for any of your projects.

Too early to tell. The engines may be required to test the J-20. Even PAKFA cannot complete testing without the new 117 upgrade to 165 KN.
I think if there is a backup plan, then PLAAF is going for proven engines, not the new russian ones.

Then the most likely is the inability to produce a Flanker as advanced or more advanced than the Su-35 in a short period of time.

Like I said, that is definately a possibility, but not the only one.
With J-10A, PLAAF has J-11A and J-11B for your 4th gen requirement. With J-10B, PLAAF doesn't have an advanced Flanker, so there is a break in the link when it comes to a 4.5th gen fighter requirement. Hence an import.

So, it may plug the gap between your previous decades J-11A/B and the time it will take for J-20 to arrive.
If the deal is signed this year. You can expect delivery around 2014. That is only 3-4 years before the supposed delivery of J-20.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Engine technology has always been the archilles heal for both indian and chinese aviation programme.The difference is we has always admitted it and the chinese have always denied it.

ice berg

Engine technology has always been the archilles heal for both indian and chinese aviation programme.The difference is we has always admitted it and the chinese have always denied it.
You sir are a liar.
AVIC plans to inject its major engine related businesses into Xi'an Aero– Engine as part of this consolidation, the listed company said in its 2011 annual report. "There is widespread consensus that engines have become a bottleneck constraining the development of China's aviation industry," the report said.

China tries building its own jet engine - The Globe and Mail

p2prada

J10B-J-20, and Su-27 - Su-35. That is far more logical than moving from Su-35 to J-20
Shouldn't the J-20 and J-11 fill the same role as a high end air superiority aircraft.

Or is the J-20 a much smaller aircraft, maybe in the F-15C weight class with around 5 or 6 tonnes of fuel, and a 12-13 tonnes empty weight? Something like the EF-2000, with 5th gen capabilities, then that makes sense. That would solve a lot of other doubts too.

Not sure of your "certain parameters". That is no small feat to develope all those aircrafts at once. I dont think China is as familiar with the flankers as the russians, yet.
I guess so, especially when it comes to developing a 9:1 T/W engine.

Nop, the competition of JXX is yet to start. The rumour is JXX is bigger than J-31
That would be interesting.

I think there is a bottleneck in design and production. Or you got any evidence that there is no production bottleneck? Dude, CAC and SAC produce around 50 jets a year.
On the contrary, if you had production bottlenecks you would expand. We are doing it, it would be much more easier for you.

How is 24 Su-35s gonna provide the increased capability? The future war is about battlespace management. A single jet is not gonna change the balance.
Agreed. But these could very well be initial orders. While you can't fight a war with 24 jets, you can't clear production bottlenecks with 24 jets either.

There are and will always be two options. Either SAC plans to reverse engineer certain technologies for future applications or PLAAF is planning on ordering much more than 24 jets as a 4.5 th gen requirement after evaluating it or both are possible.

There is a chance that if the J-20 is much lighter than a Su-35, then the 117S will give it a major thrust upgrade.

SU-35 can not be linked to existing chinese networks.
Why, that's not true. You just need to fix your own datalinks to it, along with your own cockpit design which I am sure the Russians will be happy to install for you.

We plan on doing that fleet wide with Indian (LCA/UAV/EW/AWACS), French (Rafale), American (transports), Israeli (UAV/AWACS/AEW/EW) and Russian (everything else) aircraft, you guys have it easy in comparison.

Any idea the number of 3-gen jets in PLAAF and PLAN? Take a guess.
I should say less that 1000 left if you are referring to our 3rd gen definition, else much more than that when it comes to our 4th gen definition. I am assuming you are referring to our 3rd gen.

No , it is not. I already told you the engines were offered to the chinese. They do not need to buy the jets to get access to the engines.
It only makes the case for PLAAF requirements stronger.

You forgot that the soviet/russia made the flankers to begin with. That they can do it, dosnt means China can do it. China has come far in the last decade. But they are not yet on par with Russian when it comes to flankers.
Still 24 is too less a number to clear any kind of a production bottleneck.

The question is what does JV entitles. My guess is they will deliver less than what India desired.
Have you seen the Israelis deliver any lesser when it came to giving up their Greenpine radar? Heck, they couldn't deliver the Greenpine, so they came to India and helped DRDO develop an even better radar. The same with the delivery of French FCR for our BMD.

According to the DRDO chief we have achieved complete self reliance in the BMD program.

I can't comment on the Phalcon program because we don't know anything about it yet. We did not even know the proper radar designation until recently.

Export, yes, not ToT. I never question their desire to sell engines to India. Only their willingness to provide ToT.
The AL-31FP was their best engine when they signed agreements for ToT. The development of the 117S happened much, much later when the Su-35BM program started again.

If they could sign "Deep ToT" agreements for their best engine then, why would they not sign a new agreement today?

This contract was signed in 2000.
HAL inks $300 million Sukhoi deal - Times Of India
Dated: PTI Jun 6, 2003, 06.03am IST

Under the $3.5 billion Sukhoi license deal inked in December 2000, Moscow-based aero-engine design bureau 'Lyulka-Saturn' and Bashkiria-based Ufa engine plant (UMPO) will transfer full technical documentation and technology to HAL for the production of unique 'AL-31FP' thrust-vectoring engines for the Su-30MKI.

The work for the transfer of technology and production of "AL-31FP" engines in India at Koraput is already underway, General Director of JSC "NPO Saturn" Yuri Lastochkin here said.
One, they are very, very confident of our ability to adhere to IPR and contract obligations.

Two, we are in effect strategic partners.

Three, they know that we don't need their engines for other purposes except for modernizing and using on the FGFA alone. That is to their benefit.

Now that we have Russia out of the way, let's get to France and Britain. They have the engine technology we seek and both IAF and GTRE would prefer that we go through the Europeans in order to get the best stuff followed by the Russians and with the Americans falling last in line. This is in order to have a more diverse base. Also GTRE has mainly worked on British engines in the past.

So, why would Britain and France want to give away their engine technologies to India. It is very, very simple, really. We have money. We have money and they don't. It is the same thing why Israel was so heavily dependent on a Phalcon contract from India or China in the past. They wanted money. Why money, you ask? The answer is simple. They don't have the money.

Now, reading the above statements you will think I am some sort of an idiot. Okay, let me explain in another way. There are two reasons why we have the money and they don't have the money. One, they don't have a military, or have a sizable military. Two, they don't have the money to propel their own domestic programs forward. So, these countries neither have the money to push their research forward or the market to purchase it once the technology is developed, but they have the technology to do it. India has both money and a large market, but no technology.

If Britain and France want to continue to be military exporters in the future, they need a market to sell to. But in order to do that they need development money that can make these things, for which India can pay. Today, neither Britain nor France can afford a new aircraft development project and hence an engine making capability is the biggest hurdle to maintain until a new project can be started after 2040 (that's their plan). That's too long a dormant period for anybody. There is no guarantee they can sustain it while competing with Russia, US and maybe even China.

Hence their salvation can lie in a future engine project with India or another country like Turkey, Japan, Sweden etc. Whatever engine tech they have planned, they can sell to us with guaranteed profits because they know we have a market that can absorb anything that they can make. A JV with India would mean they don't have to take risks by not finding any export customers, like how the Russians poo-phooed the loss of a deal worth $7.3 Billion in Korea after withdrawing PAKFA from the tender, saying they have a much bigger deal with India (over $30 Billion).

Your JF-17 marketing technique was the exact same as well. A guaranteed export customer who can absorb all the costs with a long production run.

India knows and understands this fact very well. So it is really a buyers market here since even the Americans and Russians would not want to lose out on a contract worth Billions that will be almost guaranteed with the production of a minimum of 250 AMCAs (minimum 1000 engines) and hundreds of different UCAVs that we may plan for after AURA.

Now you know why Britain and France would wanna line up for an engine JV with India. They will practically be begging to hand over their technology and we will get to choose.

Dosnt change the fact it is still under developement. There is no production engines for any of your projects.
Agreed. We are behind. But terming the K-9 itself as a failure is wrong. It is the LCA Mk1 which failed with just one crucial failure of K-9 in 2004, not the entire K-9 program since it continued after that.

I think if there is a backup plan, then PLAAF is going for proven engines, not the new russian ones.
PLAAF won't have a better option than the 117S. It still belongs to a family of proven engines.

Nobody else will give it.

If the deal is signed this year. You can expect delivery around 2014. That is only 3-4 years before the supposed delivery of J-20.
I would say 2015-16, since PLAAF will ask for modifications, especially in the cockpit. And the Russians may take at least another year before they increase the capacity of their own production line to 24-30 aircraft a year up from whatever number is being delivered to VVS today.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I hardly doubt that figure is true.
Good, glad to see you coming around to reason.

The frequency agility of the AESA cannot be matched by AESA,
I think it can :facepalm:

but the beamforming and beam scanning methods of the AESA and PESA are the same.
Electronically scanned, but that doesn't mean they can get past the bottleneck of one element opposed to the 1000 on our AESA.

So, saying 3-4 PESAs are needed to match one AESA is nonsense.
Not at all...

LPI has nothing to do with PESA, AESA or MS.
Of course it does... LPI is a result of having a hard to lock signal. Nothing does that better than an AESA with 1000 T/R modules running lightening fast scans on modulating frequencies.

Do you even know what PESA is?
Yeah, obsolete version of ESA radar...

You are comparing a MS array to an ESA, not PESA to AESA.
PESA has only one radio frequency at once, AESA can be dozens or even hundreds.

Even PESA has your 1000 lightning fast lasers.
Compared to an MS radar maybe, but it is bottlenecked by low frequency agility, slower scans and larger beams than an AESA. As much as PESA was an advance over MS, AESA is an advance over PESA.

satish007

Good, glad to see you coming around to reason.
Good to see you guys shake hands again.
Sir, If France can give some support to Chinese if the price is good and China guarantee only use it to local market.
Just like you support us as other projects.

p2prada

I think it can :facepalm:
Let me correct that.

The frequency agility of the AESA cannot be matched by PESA,

Electronically scanned, but that doesn't mean they can get past the bottleneck of one element opposed to the 1000 on our AESA.
You gave away the fact that you don't know anything about PESA.

Yeah, obsolete version of ESA radar...
Lol. Like which ones?

PESA has only one radio frequency at once, AESA can be dozens or even hundreds.
Agreed. So far this is the only thing that you got right.

And I did mention AESA's have better frequency agility. But even PESAs can change frequencies thousands of times in a second. However PESAs can also change phase.

Compared to an MS radar maybe, but it is bottlenecked by low frequency agility, slower scans and larger beams than an AESA.
Only the bold part is correct, in certain cases. The slower scans and larger beams is horse-puckey.

The only difference between AESA and PESA is that the AESA has its own power source, so the antenna can choreograph to suit the purpose. Meaning it can do multiple things at once.

But in a single role situation, like the aircraft is only fighting enemy fighters, then there is very little difference in AESA and PESA except for a slightly higher frequency agility and that is only if the T/R modules are programmed at that specific time to hop frequencies. So, you can use one set of T/R modules to scan and the other to track, the same thing that PESA can do.

In a single role situations, the frequency agility of PESA vs AESA is the same or very similar. In multirole situations, it gets a bit more complex and is more in the favor of AESA. Beam formation and beam steering are the exact same.

Also, you are confusing PESA with MS. PESA like like AESA also have individual T/R modules. each T/R module can be engaged differently for different purposes Only power and frequency cannot be changed at whim. Bars has over 1600 T/R modules.

If a Irbis E equipped SU-35 is fighting a Irbis AESA equipped Su-35, there are no real advantages for the AESA radar. Perhaps one advantage, and the only one major advantage, would be MTBF, where Irbis E PESA has the higher chance of failure during combat.

Good to see you guys shake hands again.
He was being sarcastic.

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
China has more advanced aircraft than this J-11B, J-10B , J-15 etc why they want to buy Su-35?

satish007

China has more advanced aircraft than this J-11B, J-10B , J-15 etc why they want to buy Su-35?
the question is not interesting now.
now the topic change to only France and US have AESA. Indian super Su30 and All Chinese planes will only have PESA unless they get France to help. and now Indian and Chinese forumers working together and debating

huaxia rox

The lack of an engine alone has killed so many programs in the past.
1 sure it can make j-20 look funny if the potential engine problem can not be finally sorted out....but i dont think engine problem has killed many programs.....

2 a pragmatic way of making new generation of weapons is not to wait till all subsystems go mature....so when main thing with new tech has been produced many subsystems can be replaced by mature systems for testing purposes.....and when all subsystems have fully been developed the main thing can be thought done....and in this case it also can include stages like mk1 mk2 etc so the whole weapon can finally serve its purpose......for j-20 i mainly mean the engine part.....and in my opinion if prc or even russia can just end up putting 117s kind of engines in their g4 or g5 fighter jets the whole plan should be called either failed or unfinished.....

3 i think prc now has become not that conservative like decades ago when developing new weapon.....i remember when the j-8 jet was under development there were two plans for engine including one radical one that wanted a completely new powerful engine and one twin engine design using 2 mature wp-7 (or something like that that i cant fully recall) engines and finally the project ended up using wp-7 so that the whole j-8 is pretty weird (but the engine weakness didnt kill the plan however).....

4 if the engine is for j11/15/16 i ve said theres not some very big differences if the engine is mounted....besides just within 3-5 years i am confident of finding something can match or close to 117s in prc......and why cant we wait for some years to save the money for our own products??

Global Defence

New threads

Articles