The Rise of China : Strategic Implications.

What does china fear most militarily and socially as a threat to its security and stability?

• Total voters

johnee

Once you amputate a gangrene affected body part, you cannot think of stitching it back on. Forget about merging any of the areas separated during partition. We have enough on our plate. We dont need more by having to do with any of that region across the border.
Hmm...good analogy. You are comparing India with a human, right? And different parts of India are different organs of human. Now, some of the parts of the India have been partitioned(mind you, when India was partitioned, India was not free.) that would mean human's parts were cut off. Were those parts that are cut off from India affected with the problems that they are affected with today? I think no. In our analogy, that would mean the human's parts were cut off when they were healthy(no gangrene, simply amputated to make the human crippled).
Secondly, are those parts actually cut off from India? I think no. They are still attached to our land(they are supposed to be neighbours) but governed by different powers. Its like a human whose some body parts are not under his control. Its like my hand is not in my own control. Further, if those parts are under the influence of a hostile power, wouldnt that be anyone's biggest scare? Its like you are my enemy and you have more influence over my hand than I have.
Thats exactly what is happening with India. Karachi and Kandahar still exist, but India doesnt control them, someone else does. That renders India crippled. Therefore, India doesnt have any option but to regain control of its entire body(speaking metamorphicaly). And all the present problems whether in the main body or those parts that are under influence are just side effects of this strange situation. As and when India gains control of its entire body, the body becomes healthy and therefore can manage(feed, cloth and empower) itself better. A crippled India can only do so much for its people.

And all this crippling happened when India was still a colony. So, the human was a slave and had to forcefully go through the crippling process.

S.A.T.A

Once true nationalism,as against religious identity(this is true for Hindus and Muslims), replaces all concurrent political ideology,then nothing can prevent the coalescing of these fragmented identities..........

Sons of Bharata will come together again !

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
^^Just a small modification to your analogy. The parts (Pakistan and Bangladesh) of the India were amputated (partitioned) by British and crippled the functioning of the human body but only partially. Now, those parts have rotted to the extent that they cannot be put back onto the body and so, of no use. Our body is still functioning perfectly, with partial disability. I'm more than happy to live like this. Let those parts rot further without affecting my body.

johnee

^^Just a small modification to your analogy. The parts (Pakistan and Bangladesh) of the India were amputated (partitioned) by British and crippled the functioning of the human body but only partially. Now, those parts have rotted to the extent that they cannot be put back onto the body and so, of no use. Our body is still functioning perfectly, with partial disability. I'm more than happy to live like this. Let those parts rot further without affecting my body.
Of course, I agree they have rotten. And perhaps their inclusion with the rest of the body may harm the entire body.
But I dont think we have an option here. Our only choice is to keep treating those parts, revive them and put them back into the body gradually. Timeline would be large and effort would be huge. But, IMHO, it would be worth the effort.
Ultimately, our current condition will only worsen if we dont start curing those rotten parts and incorporating them within. These parts will be used forever by foreign powers to weaken the entire body further. Hostile powers will use these parts to kill India, while others will simple use them to further their interests. Ultimately, I fear, it will affect the heart of the body. India spends crores to maintain the status quo(example Siachen), but if a similar effort were made towards regaining the lost parts(and reviving them), then India would be freer. Of course, the whole process would yield results much later in time.

S.A.T.A

India, Pak will ultimately come together: Lapierre

New Delhi Celebrated French writer Dominique Lapierre has said that India and Pakistan are "children of the same mother" and would settle their problems between them peacefully and fulfil Mahatma Gandhi's dreams.

"Bonds of history and culture will prove stronger. India and Pakistan are children of the same mother and will ultimately come together," the French writer said at the launch of the latest edition of his book "Freedom at Midnight" at the French embassy here last night on 61'st anniversary of Mahatama's martyrdom.

"Hopefully in our life time," was the author's response when asked when the two countries will settle their problems.

The author with his American collaborator Larry Collins had produced the bestseller on the story of India's freedom struggle in its closing years.

Asked for his comments on the Mumbai terror strikes, Lapierre, who has dealt with the theme of terrorism in his books such as "O Jerusalem", said that terror is not a new phenomenon.

"It has always been there throughout history. The challenge is to calm it down and I am sure time will throw up great men like Gandhi and Nelson Mandela (South African anti-apartheid leader) to meet the challenge," he said.

Earlier, Lapierre narrated his experiences during the research for "Freedom at Midnight" recalling his meeting with India's last viceroy Lord Mountbatten and Gopal Godse, brother of Nathuram Godse, who assassinated the father of the nation.

He also talked about his meeting with Muhammed Ali Jinnah's doctor who showed him the chest X ray of the architect of Pakistan, indicating that the Muslim League leader's terminal TB allowed him "only six more months of life."

Informed of this revelation, Lord Mountbatten had exclaimed to Lapierre "Oh, my dear Lord, had I only known this, I would have delayed partition and there could have been only one nation and not India and Pakistan".

Commenting on Mountbatten's remarks, Lapierre said "That is the irony, how the entire course of history has changed."

The latest edition of the book "Freedom at Midnight" has been brought out by the Vikas Publishing House with the supplement of a booklet that has the author's account of the long research on the book which first hit the stands in 1975.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Let the little guy climax with his wet dreams. Why get all excited about this storm in a tea cup?

AkhandBharat

Once you amputate a gangrene affected body part, you cannot think of stitching it back on. Forget about merging any of the areas separated during partition. We have enough on our plate. We dont need more by having to do with any of that region across the border.
I disagree. Body parts rot, land and its people do not. It will be tough reintegrating people from these countries but when they realize that economic development is the way to go, and extremist ideas are not taking them anywhere, they will come home to the motherland.

Religion will die in a few decades. And when that happens, the cultural and ethnic ties will help in the reintegration process.

AkhandBharat

Of course, I agree they have rotten. And perhaps their inclusion with the rest of the body may harm the entire body.
But I dont think we have an option here. Our only choice is to keep treating those parts, revive them and put them back into the body gradually. Timeline would be large and effort would be huge. But, IMHO, it would be worth the effort.
Ultimately, our current condition will only worsen if we dont start curing those rotten parts and incorporating them within. These parts will be used forever by foreign powers to weaken the entire body further. Hostile powers will use these parts to kill India, while others will simple use them to further their interests. Ultimately, I fear, it will affect the heart of the body. India spends crores to maintain the status quo(example Siachen), but if a similar effort were made towards regaining the lost parts(and reviving them), then India would be freer. Of course, the whole process would yield results much later in time.
Thanks Johnee. Which is why I propose that the way forward for now is to industrialize and increase the economic output. The country has woken up only in 1991. In 18 years we have achieved so much! Imagine where we will be in the next 20 years. Only then the body parts would want to merge back to get a slice of the pie! The extremists can then be rooted out because India will be in a much better position to conduct intelligence operations in the satellite nations and put placeholder government until they are ready to merge back with the motherland.

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
RAND report, that China's strategic approach is not designed primarily for fighting a war over Taiwan, or over Arunachal Pradesh for critical interest to China. The basis of such a strategy is the assumption that China's prospective enemies, finding themselves encircled or obstructed by powers aligned with Beijing, will be unable to envision a military campaign to deny China oil at an acceptable level of costs. They will, therefore, be deterred from threatening China, e.g. by interrupting its oil supplies. It is a mark of the efficacy of this broader deterrence strategy that American security analysts are already ruling out a successful defense of Taiwan in 2020. Similarly, the early stages of an effort to inhaliate China from an aggresive move is already being discussed in Pentagon.

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
People who imagine that a militarily strong China will be a peaceful China need to remove their heads from their behinds.

In addition to India, I half expect China to even raise a finger against India. Both are enormous and densly populated – India is the second largest populated nation after china, and Russia’s far eastern province is twice the size of India w/ only 10 million inhabitans. In addition, Chinese irridentist nationalists have been harping for years that Mongolia was once a part of China and should rightfully again be a part of China. Likewise, tens of thousands of Chinese already live and work in the Russian far east. China and Russia are natural enemies (i.e., they share a long border and have fought many wars in the past), and Moscow will side with India in a major conflict against china, often china appears to exert only nominal control over much of its western provinces.

mig-29

Clinton’s visit to Southeast Asia: Implications for India

Hillary Clinton’s declaration, made on arrival in Bangkok during her visit to the Asian partners last week, that "the United States [was] back," stressed America’s intent to engage in an all-around interaction and develop friendly ties with the Southeast Asian nations. This comment has reiterated the Obama administration's diplomatic strategy to improve America's image on a global scale. But given the sudden winds of change which suggest significant shifts in the international power structure-making, it is essential to find answers to several questions: Why has the US decided to re-engage with the region? Is it only due to individual interests or is this a preventive measure to contain the rise of regional powers? With the US and China both enjoying strategic ties with Southeast Asia, how will India maintain its position in the region?

It is interesting to note that after President Obama took charge, America’s policy towards Southeast Asia showed immediate signs of change for which myriad factors were responsible. First, in comparison to the US, major Asia Pacific nations such as China, Japan, India, and Australia have always valued their relationships with Southeast Asia. In the area of trade and commercial relations, though the US is in the lead in terms of its investment in Southeast Asia, it lags behind China in its bilateral trade volume with ASEAN. China had proactively established a free trade zone with ASEAN as early as 2004 and countries like Japan followed suit. Washington, however, never seemed to have a concrete plan in this area.

Second, in terms of political relations, China entered the "Treaty of Amity and Cooperation (TAC) in Southeast Asia" as a non-member of ASEAN in 2003, ahead of all the other major nations in the Asia Pacific region. Later, Japan and other nations signed the treaty, making it an important code of conduct within ASEAN, voluntarily accepted and followed by an increasing number of non-member nations. Therefore, when the Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton signed the TAC in Phuket, it was the result of the US' re-evaluation and renewed understanding. This is a watershed that has marked a major change in the US policy towards Southeast Asia in the few months since the Obama administration came to power.

Third, the US wants to participate in the region's development process to show its clout in the area and help solve problems such as the Korean Peninsula nuclear issue and Myanmar's ongoing political instability. Further, Clinton's visit to Indonesia, the most populous Muslim country in the world, was widely seen as a remarkable gesture from the White House to the Muslim community, agitated by former US President Bush's decision to invade Iraq without credible reason. All these characteristics are consistent with Clinton's goal of using "smart power" to form comprehensive partnerships.

Like other nations, the US' willingness to become a contracted state on its own accord is not only a symbolic political stance, but more so, a binding political promise. As the foremost military superpower with an important strategic and practical interest in this region, the US' move signifies its willingness to interact with ASEAN on equal grounds. Apparently, this is another one of the Obama administration's efforts to rectify America’s international image to help eliminate various doubts people have about the country’s strategic intent. It would only serve to benefit America’s own interests, which include a broader and deeper involvement in Southeast Asia's affairs.

In the light of these recent developments in the regional dynamics, it becomes significant for India to reposition itself and seek a greater role in the region amidst the presence of the US and China. Clinton’s visit came close on the heels of an India-Pakistan joint statement of cooperation signed in Egypt that received scathing criticism in India, including from members of the Prime Minister’s own party. This misstep also gave credence to the charge that the UPA government has become in many ways a supplicant to US interests in the region. Though this visit was crucial, especially post the Indo-US nuclear deal, not much was achieved. The US remained non-committal on issues such as India’s candidature for a permanent seat in the UNSC, trade in sensitive technology, and climate change failing to provide the promised deliverables.

Therefore, it becomes imperative for India to diversify its foreign policy and engage with other regional actors rather than being an underling to the US. With China and the US both tactfully engaging Southeast Asia, India should strategise a greater role for itself in the region. The delayed India-ASEAN FTA also hints at the underlying problems in establishing a concrete relationship in the region and resolutions should be sought. India should reconsider its priorities and understand the long-term implications of the power game. It is significant for India to restructure its Look East Policy in a way that breathes new life into India-ASEAN relations. Initiatives to forge stronger political and economic ties should be proposed to maintain Indian emplacement as a major player in the region. Hopefully, India will succeed in carving out a pivotal niche in Southeast Asia amongst much bigger actors.

IntelliBriefs

S

SammyCheung

^ China has turned its attention to India now. LOL. Russia's not going to save you. It has enough on its strategic plate already.

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
^ China has turned its attention to India now. LOL. Russia's not going to save you. It has enough on its strategic plate already.
China should not turn it's back on Russia. because the Bear is very oppertunist and takes what he wants.:viannen_10:

Rage

DFI TEAM

^ Bring it on China! I'd love to see you float dead in the Indian ocean like the snivellish little shrimp you are.

As for Russia and its 'strategic plate', there is a fundamental relationship between two border nations you cannot ignore- multiplied many times when one is an erstwhile, and rising, military superpower and the other an ascending economic contender. Make no mistake about it, they are naturally suspicious of you, just as you are of them. And a war with a nation that still procures more than 40% of the total value of their military exports is something that won't just be pooh-poohed. I scoff at your anomalous 'suggestion'!

S

SammyCheung

We are ready! You can't hide behind the Himalayas anymore. You can't hide behind Russia. You certainly can't hide behind Taiwan. Maybe USA will help you.

How does the gaze of the PLA feel? India's ambition is so great.... you think you are the British Raj to conquer all south and central Asia (and Tibet). Really are you ready to challenge for #1 spot in Asia?

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
This is not 1962 but 2009. China this time won't get away like that in 62. We don't need Russian to fight our war. If India was a easy target the China would have just attacked it to teach a lesson just as it did to Vietnam.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
We are ready! You can't hide behind the Himalayas anymore. You can't hide behind Russia. You certainly can't hide behind Taiwan. Maybe USA will help you.

How does the gaze of the PLA feel? India's ambition is so great.... you think you are the British Raj to conquer all south and central Asia (and Tibet). Really are you ready to challenge for #1 spot in Asia?
Hide from you! Don't get fooled by the statistics, you will be shown up when the opportunity arrives.

Just read about your own history, how did you fare against the tribal Mongols, how did you fare against the Japanese. Did you forget all that at the first sign of little progress.

So you are the second biggest economy now? You were also the second biggest economy in 1890 and you were no superpower then. You are no superpower now!

I personally have great admiration for China and Chinese civilization and people. I even have some Chinese friends in the states. But people like you are hell bent on creating animosities which will benefit none. Any conflict with India will be too costly for China. Make a note of it.

P.S.: I read recently that the mongols used to consider the Chinese soldiers as sheep to be slaughtered by the Mongol wolves. They did annihilate several times bigger Chinese forces several times. So don't try showing your non existent martial prowess.

Rage

DFI TEAM

And you're ready, are you? Think you are the Qing dynasty, that you can ballyhoo and conquer everyone in your path- from Mongolia to Tibet, and hold eternal control of them! You will be brought to your knees dervish! Just as you were brought to your knees by Vietnam. Your flag belies it all. You really do live in a no-longer possible past. Three decades of economic success have deluded you and your peasant ilk. Remember your paltry origins, and recall that you won the 'war' in 1962 only because of political dithering on our part- dithering of the kind you would be a Manchu fool to believe would characterize our military response with the same blight Nehruvian benightedness. I spit on the British Raj as I do into the 'gazing' eyes of your PLA. You will feel the force of the Army of Hind just as you did the Mongol hordes. The days of 'Hind-Chini' bhai bhai are OVER.

Bring it on China!

mig-29

No we are not going to take any help from anyone to counter china , may be a little strategic points to be discussed with vietnam and to refersh your memory here is the link .

Sino-Vietnamese War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After trying numerous times and failed to win with the Vietnamese army china signed a secret border agreement.

Please try to sort out the border disputes with numerous other small countries and gain experience and then think of India.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles