The RAT Temple

geoBR

Country flag
Dear friends,

I've watched this National Geographic report about the RAT TEMPLE and was impressed. Have any of you visited the temple?
How can people get in there and eat without getting sick? What do you guys think about it?

Excuse my west ignorance, but this is very exotic to me.

thank you

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

KSP

This is not the only temple with rats, but ya it's pretty famous. To be honest it is quite exotic and extreme for me as well but we also know that they are really harmless at least inside the temple. Though I don't deny that they can cause diseases but think if that was the case people would have reported. In Pushkar Ajmer also there are many rats and you have to walkin the temple barefoot. It is said that if you are able to spot a white rat in the temple, it brings good omen, well I'm an atheist but that's how it is in India.

I have visited these temples when I was young and a believer :p

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This is not the only temple with rats, but ya it's pretty famous. To be honest it is quite exotic and extreme for me as well but we also know that they are really harmless at least inside the temple. Though I don't deny that they can cause diseases but think if that was the case people would have reported. In Pushkar Ajmer also there are many rats and you have to walkin the temple barefoot. It is said that if you are able to spot a white rat in the temple, it brings good omen, well I'm an atheist but that's how it is in India.

I have visited these temples when I was young and a believer :p
I didn't see any rats in Pushkar Temples.
@geoBR It is a peculiar culture of that particular district imho. There are many such small peculiar temples and dargahs (Sufi Muslim Saint Burial Sites). In some places, meat is offered, in some alcohol, and in some bells are offered etc.

KSP

I didn't see any rats in Pushkar Temples.
@geoBR It is a peculiar culture of that particular district imho. There are many such small peculiar temples and dargahs (Sufi Muslim Saint Burial Sites). In some places, meat is offered, in some alcohol, and in some bells are offered etc.
Yup sorry my bad no rats in Pushkar. But I have a faint memory of seeing another temple in Rajasthan with lot of rats. Can't really tell.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Yup sorry my bad no rats in Pushkar. But I have a faint memory of seeing another temple in Rajasthan with lot of rats. Can't really tell.
Rajasthan has lots of peculiar temples and dargahs. Lots of places where they claim to perform exorcisms, scorpion dargah? and also the place where they bottle up "djinns" / "genies" etc.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
It is the Karani Mata tample at a place called Deshnok just short of Bikaner on road Sikar - Nokha mandi - Bikaner (national Highway). Go there from Jaipur / Jodhpur/ Bikaner.

Sighting a white rat there is considered harbinger of good luck (now many)

[video]http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=LFXnkEdz-eF0VM&tbnid=hApJ6to4bER6nM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.technospot.in%2Fvisting-temples-rani-sati-karni-mata%2F&ei=v1IsUanCEovJrAe314H4Ag&psig=AFQjCNG9CpjajGP-xKAqdKzFeKbod3UvDw&ust=1361945663369991[/video]

Reactions: KSP

KSP

Bhairo naath (corrected- Mehdi Bajaji temple) temple is where they perform exorcism, that place is crazy. You don't know whose gonna turn nuts when, it was hard to believe but the stuff that happens around there is so convincing to your eyes. There's an adjoining Dargha and a temple in my hometown, Kota Rajasthan. They are so intact that sometimes it is difficult to find the entrance and differentiate which leads to where. It is on the bank of Chambal river, thermal power plant. Amazing view, sense of secularism lingers there.

Last edited:

WMD

Dear friends,

I've watched this National Geographic report about the RAT TEMPLE and was impressed. Have any of you visited the temple?
How can people get in there and eat without getting sick? What do you guys think about it?

Excuse my west ignorance, but this is very exotic to me.

IMO this is very exotic to most Indians too,
i personally hav never seen a rat temple and this is the 1st time i've heard of one,

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Bhairo naath temple is where they perform exorcism, that place is crazy. You don't know whose gonna turn nuts when, it was hard to believe but the stuff that happens around there is so convincing to your eyes. There's an adjoining Dargha and a temple in my hometown, Kota Rajasthan. They are so intact that sometimes it is difficult to find the entrance and differentiate which leads to where. It is on the bank of Chambal river, thermal power plant. Amazing view, sense of secularism lingers there.
Isn't it at Mehdipur Balaji where they perform exorcisms ? In Delhi Bhaironath Mandir they offer alcohol.

KSP

Isn't it at Mehdipur Balaji where they perform exorcisms ? In Delhi Bhaironath Mandir they offer alcohol.

Mehndipur Balaji is correct, sorry for my ignorance once again. In time I have forgotten the name of these places as I was a child then and have left Rajasthan 8 years back.

Last edited:

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
It is a rat temple, but of goddess Karni, village patroness. Yes, there ARE rats and they inviolate. Temple is covered with net to keep out preying birds.

In every temple you must go about without shoes, but here you have to walk dragging your bare feet. No rat bites are reported.

It is located about 30 km from Bikaner City of Rajasthan.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles