The Physical Fitness Thread

What do you prefer?

• Good body shape only, strength doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate excercise.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
That's a very common myth. Try asking Arnold to run a marathon and you ll know the answer.
However being fit is not being ripped and vice versa
Ask a marathon runner to bench press even a moderate amount of weight and you'll know the answer. :)

Depends on what sort of fitness we're talking about. In everyday life, people don't need to run marathons. However, many blue collar workers need physical strength to do their jobs efficiently, and this is where bodybuilding helps. If you incorporate 2 days of cardio in your training, then you will be able to maintain cardiovascular health as well, although this is not strictly necessary. Even doing squats on a regular basis will develop your heart as well as add muscle strength to your entire lower body.

In addition, having a well developed body builds confidence and automatically gets you "respect" from others. Marathon runners don't. ;)

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^^I don't see what you busted. David has a pretty well developed upper body, which he must have developed through weight training. But he's neither the best bodybuilder in the world nor the best marathon runner. He's achieved a balance, and that's what we should all seek.

As I mentioned, cardiovascular fitness is important as well, and aerobic exercise is the east way to develop this. However, problem is, aerobic exercise can also burn protein i.e. muscle if done excessively and over long periods of time. That's the reason world class marathon runners (like in the photo I posted) are skinny as hell. They may have amazing stamina, but it comes at the cost of muscle mass.

For the normal person, even doing squats on a regular basis is probably enough stimulation for the cardiovascular system. Squat lovers here will agree with me. :)

SPIEZ

Country flag
^^ Why do most of the military training exercises include marathons with weights strapped on to their backs as part of the exercises, they don't want fine soldiers??? Although I agree aerobic alone ain't enough

So what exactly is fitness???

How do you measure it???

Last edited:

pmaitra

Known_Unknown is right about balance.

Excessive cardio and no weight training will always keep the body in emergency mode, and in emergency mode, the body doesn't burn fat, but protein, for energy. On the other hand, if cardio and weight training is balanced, the body knows not to burn protein, and will try to burn the fat, even if it is less easy than to burn protein.

Balance is the key, and for each person, best bet is to personally sit with a trainer, and get advice. Not all people need the same solution.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Damn, these women could easily beat me to a pulp. :scared1:

Last edited by a moderator:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The dangers of "eating out". In this famous documentary, a man decides to find out what would happen if for one month, he ate all his meals-breakfast, lunch and dinner at MacDonald's.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
How has factory farming affected our health? A history of the industrialization of food:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I find that the best way to exercise is to incorporate it into your daily routine.

Example: I live on the 11th floor of a large housing complex, and I always use the stairs instead of the elevator, unless extremely crunched for time. Its a good workout.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^^Wow. So you climb up or down 22 floors daily? Impressive. I am in a similar situation. Maybe I should do the same. This would be good enough for a sedentary middle aged lifestyle such as for Indian Uncles and Aunties :lol:, but if you are looking to improve your fitness levels and get into shape, it won't be enough.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
hey spiez did u burned your extra fats and that tummy about which you were complaining couple of months earlier???:)

SPIEZ

Country flag
hey spiez did u burned your extra fats and that tummy about which you were complaining couple of months earlier???:)

Hardly any time for exercises these days ....

After a long time I coming to this forum. That should say a lot about time crunch

Snuggy321

Question to all members: Why are you exercising? Whats your motivation? Do you listen to music while working out? If yes what?

My answers: - To stay healthy, to keep my mind free, to stay in shape and to join the Territorial Army in future (My secret wish)

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I believe a man is made not just by his thoughts and genetics, but his outward appearance as well. Outward appearance is very important in society-a typical 30 year old Indian male is pot-bellied, losing hair and has sticks for arms and legs. In short, he looks ridiculous. Yet he wants his wife to be a beauty queen.

A well built man is a model of masculinity, has confidence in himself and automatically gains respect from both other males and females in society. In addition, exercise keeps him healthy and fit for emergencies in which he may need to exert his physical strength to protect/defend his family.

My motivation for exercise is to be that ideal man, both in body and in spirit.

I don't listen to any music while working out, as it distracts me.

pmaitra

I believe a man is made not just by his thoughts and genetics, but his outward appearance as well. Outward appearance is very important in society-a typical 30 year old Indian male is pot-bellied, losing hair and has sticks for arms and legs. In short, he looks ridiculous. Yet he wants his wife to be a beauty queen.

A well built man is a model of masculinity, has confidence in himself and automatically gains respect from both other males and females in society. In addition, exercise keeps him healthy and fit for emergencies in which he may need to exert his physical strength to protect/defend his family.

My motivation for exercise is to be that ideal man, both in body and in spirit.

I don't listen to any music while working out, as it distracts me.
I agree with everything you say, except the music part. Music actually motivates me.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I agree with everything you say, except the music part. Music actually motivates me.
I don't listen to music when I work-out.
But before a session begins, I watch certain K-1, MMA, Pride fights. It gets my heart pumping, when I see the punches, the kicks, the blood.

pmaitra

I don't listen to music when I work-out.
But before a session begins, I watch certain K-1, MMA, Pride fights. It gets my heart pumping, when I see the punches, the kicks, the blood.
When I am doing cardio, I visualize myself chasing a football. :)

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I think its a question of willpower. When I started working out a couple of years ago, I did use to listen to bad-ass rap music which made me angry and motivated me to push myself harder. As I kept up my routine though, I found the music to be more and more unnecessary and distracting. I developed the willpower to push myself to the extreme without needing music to motivate me.

However, I go at a time when the gym is mostly empty. If there are too many people around me, that too distracts me and I cannot get a good workout.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles