The Myth of American Exceptionalism

sandeepdg

You didn't make them sound intelligent in your earlier comments, with being merely US and Soviet remote controlled bots. You made it appear they don't have minds of their own. :laugh:
Well their intelligence wasn't great enough to tackle the two behemoths: US and USSR. Period.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I try not to. His speeches are very partisan.
As are the speeches of almost every other candidate vying for the presidency. Acting partisan is another one of those things that all candidates do.

Herman Cain recently said that all liberals have an evil agenda to destroy America, and a few seconds later proceeded to say that he was opposed to "bipartisanship" :rolleyes:

The term appeared in the 1840s, after the colonial period.
The term itself was coined in the mid-19th century. The basic concept is much older than that.

Look at any of the original colonial charters, they all refer to divine will and purpose.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Hillary doesn't have to explain anything to anybody. You should know that by now.:lol:
That is why your country is in the present state. The world has changed and constantly changing. It is not my intention in any way to put down USA. There are times when one has to learn a lesson from mistakes. Your nation also propped up China under the leadership of president Nixon so USA is reaping the crop now. You decide if that was a right move or wrong. In my opinion it is one of the biggest mistake of your foreign policy others have been brought to our attention in this thread.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
That is why your country is in the present state. The world has changed and constantly changing. It is not my intention in any way to put down USA. There are times when one has to learn a lesson from mistakes. Your nation also propped up China under the leadership of president Nixon so USA is reaping the crop now. You decide if that was a right move or wrong. In my opinion it is one of the biggest mistake of your foreign policy others have been brought to our attention in this thread.
To this day Nixon is given much credit in this country regarding his policy towards China. W.J.Clinton even was even more favorably disposed towards China for his own political reasons. Now China is our biggest creditor, which cannot be a good thing.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Your sentiments towards America is overflowing from your whole statement. Nobody denies that the US could have done better or otherwise on previous policies/actions, but hey nobody is perfect. But all things considered, the US has done the World more good than any other power in history. Heck, you're even posting here because the Pentagon came up with a system to link computers.

On the thorny China issue, I hope you can review your history. It was your great Nehru who ensured that China ended up in US' lap. US Secretary Dulles offered to Nehru the UNSC set then held by Taiwan (because China was not recognized) but Nehru was foolish. He refused because he does not like superpowers in his backyard. The seat ended up with China and India ended up with loser USSR. :frusty:

Last edited:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
To this day Nixon is given much credit in this country regarding his policy towards China. W.J.Clinton even was even more favorably disposed towards China for his own political reasons. Now China is our biggest creditor, which cannot be a good thing.
As we all know that china is the largest creditor of USA. The question arises, how will USA administration (present or the future) reverse the situation? I personally do think until and unless we bring back the backbone of the economy that is manufacturing back to USA it will be a long road ahead in order to reverse the damage to your economy. As we all know one manufacturing job in auto industry creates five to six jobs in the country.

I still believe in creative power of USA citizens, which has given the world products too numerous to mention here. The problem lies with the politicians , who do not stand up for their country when it comes economic issues of the country. I think world is moving towards protectionism. What is your opinion?

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Your sentiments towards America is overflowing from your whole statement. Nobody denies that the US could have done better or otherwise on previous policies/actions, but hey nobody is perfect. But all things considered, the US has done the World more good than any other power in history. Heck, you're even posting here because the Pentagon came up with a system to link computers.

On the thorny China issue, I hope you can review your history. It was your great Nehru who ensured that China ended up in US' lap. US Secretary Dulles offered to Nehru the UNSC set then held by Taiwan (because China was not recognized) but Nehru was foolish. He refused because he does not like superpowers in his backyard. The seat ended up with China and India ended up with loser USSR. :frusty:
There is nothing new in your post which I do not know. My question is how USA can pull itself out of this mess that it finds herself?

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Please review your history. Pakistan would not have been at the center of American South Asian policy had Nehru not been too naive to spurne direct US overtures. What would US do if India does not seem to want it to as an ally? Note that US needed a presence in South Asia to hedge agianst the USSR.
Since India is moving under USA sphere, What do you see in your crystal ball for South Asia in general? Are there other countries in the region who want India to be their ally as well in order to dilute USA's hold on India?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There is nothing new in your post which I do not know. My question is how USA can pull itself out of this mess that it finds herself?
You mean China? It's still too early to throw in the towel. China has so many people, most of it still mired in poverty. It has simmering ethnic tensions that are potentially distabilizing. Its economic progress is still not on solid ground as it is almost soleley dependent on cheap labor (but labor cost is now steeply rising in China), etc. Besides, China is sorrounded by America, its allies, or China's natural adversaries in South, East and SE Asia.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Since India is moving under USA sphere, What do you see in your crystal ball for South Asia in general? Are there other countries in the region who want India to be their ally as well in order to dilute USA's hold on India?
For the US no bigger prize in South Asia is bigger than India. Note that the US has been courting India since the 50s and it only intensified lately with the rise of China. But India has been playing coy to its overtures. The relationship actually is for India to lose.

BTW, which country in South Asia can rival America in the quest for India's heart and mind? China? These 2 countries are like oil and water, they don't and won't mix. Do you agree with my crystal ball?

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Or maybe you're thinking of mother Russia? Well Russia is only a spoiler now and even Indians know it.

Adux

Country flag
But all things considered, the US has done the World more good than any other power in history.
:
Is that because of who US is? or is it because of the progress of time and evolution of man. It is a fact, that Americans are more humane than the british, they in turn were far more humane than the huns, they would have been more humane than empires before them.

Adux

Country flag
For the US no bigger prize in South Asia is bigger than India. Note that the US has been courting India since the 50s and it only intensified lately with the rise of China. But India has been playing coy to its overtures. The relationship actually is for India to lose.

BTW, which country in South Asia can rival America in the quest for India's heart and mind? China? These 2 countries are like oil and water, they don't and won't mix. Do you agree with my crystal ball?
There is a slight problem though- India will only have an equal relationship, Americans dont want an unequal relationship. If anything this is a relationship for Americans to loose. Maybe they would still like to be associated with tinpot dictator, Islamist, Pakistan and China, like in 1980's, or do they want to have a relationship with people who share their ideals of democracy and secularism? Its totally upto them, by the looks of it- I think both India and US will work it out.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Is that because of who US is? or is it because of the progress of time and evolution of man. It is a fact, that Americans are more humane than the british, they in turn were far more humane than the huns, they would have been more humane than empires before them.

I get it. Everything good that happened around the World during America's tenure as super power is not actually conscioulsy contributed by America but by nature. And I assume everything bad that happened during the same period is actually caused by America? :thumb:

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There is a slight problem though- India will only have an equal relationship, Americans dont want an unequal relationship. If anything this is a relationship for Americans to loose. Maybe they would still like to be associated with tinpot dictator, Islamist, Pakistan and China, like in 1980's, or do they want to have a relationship with people who share their ideals of democracy and secularism? Its totally upto them, by the looks of it- I think both India and US will work it out.

You're too obsessed with "equality." What does it exactly mean in the nuanced real World? Are Japanese any lesser as humans than Indians because their government is almost always in sync with America on foreign policy matters? South Koreans are lesser worth than Indians? Last time I checked their people are comfortably more comfortably than Indians on a per capita basis...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
You're too obsessed with "equality." What does it exactly mean in the nuanced real World? Are Japanese any lesser as humans than Indians because their government is almost always in sinc America on foreign policy matters? South Koreans are lesser worth than Indians? Last time I checked their people are comfortably more comfortably than Indians on a per capita basis...:rolleyes:
Simply, we will not be extention of American Foreign Policy, where they want to keep the status quo of Superpowerdom, aka Poodle. Japan and South Korea is not an example for a country like India, yes Japan and UK are poodles. Japanese forigen policy is not sync with US, rather it is made to be.

Adux

Country flag
I get it. Everything good that happened around the World during America's tenure as super power is not actually conscioulsy contributed by America but by nature. And I assume everything bad that happened during the same period is actually caused by America? :thumb:
I dont believe that, but you are free to assume

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Simply, we will not be extention of American Foreign Policy, where they want to keep the status quo of Superpowerdom, aka Poodle. Japan and South Korea is not an example for a country like India, yes Japan and UK are poodles. Japanese forigen policy is not sync with US, rather it is made to be.
This foolish insistence on "equality" already caused India a permanent seat at the UNSC. India could have been infinitely more important to the World than what it is now had it only set aside its naive insistence on "equality," whatever that means. :lol:

Adux

Country flag
This foolish insistence on "equality" already caused India a permanent seat at the UNSC. India could have been infinitely more important to the World than what it is now had it only set aside its naive insistence on "equality," whatever that means. :lol:
It is quite foolish of you to compare India of 1950's to India of today. You are Malaysian, you wont be considered equal even if you wanted to be. Negligible.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It is quite foolish of you to compare India of 1950's to India of today. You are Malaysian, you wont be considered equal even if you wanted to be. Negligible.

We're not too concerned about our status. We believe that recognition is earned not imposed. A lot of our neighbors in SEA actually share the same sentiments, not the least the nearest one, Singapore, which only recently agreed to host US warships on permanent station...8)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles