The largest migration we are going to witness, Chunyun in China!

nimo_cn

Country flag
All the street shops are migrants, all the chain shops are worked by migrants, GZ is a town of migrants.
GZ is a town of migrants? You must haven't been to Shenzhen, I guess, which is the only city of migrants in China. To tell if a city is full of migrants, the best way is to find out what languages the people on the streets speak. In cites like Shenzhen which is basically made of people from different parts of China, mandarin will be the most popular language, because that is the only common language the people are going to share. But in the city like Guangzhou where most people are local residents, dialect triumphs over mandarin, in this case the dialect is cantonese.

I have visited both Guangzhou and Shenzhen twice this year. When I was taking subway in Shenzhen, I was pretty sure people around me were just migrants in Shenzhen, because they were conversing with each other in mandarin. But the case in Guangzhou was totally different, all I could hear was cantonese.

Once they leave, business comes to a halt. You better stock up because it will be hard to go shopping. I know I will.
You mean the shops are going to be shut down? According to your account, this must be the first Spring Festival you are having in China if you are really staying in GZ.

Spring Festival is becoming a shopping season just like Christmas in US. Most shops will be closed for at most one day(New Year's day according to Chinese calendar), then all the shops will be fully prepared to welcome customers. Business won't halt, but only go up during holidays. But since you hate the bustle on Chinese streets, you do need to stock up so that you can dwell in your house without going outside to shop.

nimo_cn

Country flag
They all look tired, cold, poor and some of them dont even have bags to carry their stuff! It must be hard to leave home and work in far off places just to make ends meet! Everyone here is also going home for the Harvest season so i wonder how Indias mass migration back to the villages compares to this.!
That means you have read something from the pictures. These pictures are intended to tell the hardship that most Chinese people are going through when they are struggling for a better life.

Do share some pictures about Indian mass migration if it is possible.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
GZ is a town of migrants? You must haven't been to Shenzhen, I guess, which is the only city of migrants in China. To tell if a city is full of migrants, the best way is to find out what languages the people on the streets speak. In cites like Shenzhen which is basically made of people from different parts of China, mandarin will be the most popular language, because that is the only common language the people are going to share. But in the city like Guangzhou where most people are local residents, dialect triumphs over mandarin, in this case the dialect is cantonese.

I have visited both Guangzhou and Shenzhen twice this year. When I was taking subway in Shenzhen, I was pretty sure people around me were just migrants in Shenzhen, because they were conversing with each other in mandarin. But the case in Guangzhou was totally different, all I could hear was cantonese.

You mean the shops are going to be shut down? According to your account, this must be the first Spring Festival you are having in China if you are really staying in GZ.

Spring Festival is becoming a shopping season just like Christmas in US. Most shops will be closed for at most one day(New Year's day according to Chinese calendar), then all the shops will be fully prepared to welcome customers. Business won't halt, but only go up during holidays. But since you hate the bustle on Chinese streets, you do need to stock up so that you can dwell in your house without going outside to shop.
It is my first Spring Festival in GZ. My coworkers tell me to stock up or get a ticket to Thailand now because GZ becomes a ghost town. I have experienced it in Changchun and it was so cold half the people left just to get out of town. I will be here and report back what is seen. I am pretty sure I was not lied to.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
How cold does northern China get? How much snow?

I'm planning on going to Shijiazhuang in a few months.
It look quite chilly from these pictures.

kickok1975

It is my first Spring Festival in GZ. My coworkers tell me to stock up or get a ticket to Thailand now because GZ becomes a ghost town. I have experienced it in Changchun and it was so cold half the people left just to get out of town. I will be here and report back what is seen. I am pretty sure I was not lied to.
Where are you from, are you Chinese? Just curious.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Quite a crush!

Hope all go comfortably.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Half the people got out of the town? Well, glad to know Changchun becomes another "ghost city" according to your account.

Why not tell us where would those millions of people head for when they left Chuangchun because of the cold?

nimo_cn

Country flag
How cold does northern China get? How much snow?

I'm planning on going to Shijiazhuang in a few months.
It look quite chilly from these pictures.
Shijiazhuang, capital of Hebei province, is located in the north of China. I believe it can be pretty cold in the winter considering its geographical location, though I haven't been there.

The temperature in Shijiazhuang today is between -7 ℃ and +2 ℃.

Heavy snow in Shijiazhuang in 2009

nimo_cn

Country flag
The Indian mass migration happened in 1947 :(
Well, I was suggesting something like the Chunyun in China. I know Indians, as well as Chinese, cherish the union of family and prefer going home and meeting with families on big holidays.

Given the large population of India, I presume transportation of passengers in India may be pretty intense if all Indians are travelling at the same time, just like what is happenning in China.

I am interested to know kow India deals with this kind of mass migration if there is any.

JayATL

Where are you from, are you Chinese? Just curious.
I don't think he will tell you much. all the ranting he is doing there as an Indian( I presumed he is one) in china , will get him kicked out.

nimo_cn

Country flag
I can read the joy on their faces after managing to get a ticket.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Is there some reason we are looking at pictures of people waiting on trains? I do that every week watching thousands of bored Chinese waiting on the metro.

Welcome

Country flag
That means you have read something from the pictures. These pictures are intended to tell the hardship that most Chinese people are going through when they are struggling for a better life.

Do share some pictures about Indian mass migration if it is possible.
Hi..we have lot of pictures of Mass migration. if you face this situation ones in a year than we face three times(Diwali,Holi, Dashahara Approx 4 day holiday on each) in a year. however now we face this situation every day.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles