The Kashmiri fighters who lost their cause - BBC

ejazr

Ambassador
The Kashmiri fighters who lost their cause - BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12492173

Kashmir has been a disputed territory since 1948

In the quagmire of Kashmir militancy, those who took up arms for independence appear to have been quashed. The BBC's M Ilyas Khan investigates the fate of the Kashmiri fighters who did not want to be ruled by India or Pakistan.

Ismat Karim gives a harrowing account of a recent 20-day detention in what he calls a "torture cell".

Mr Karim says he was held along with two other residents of Pakistan-administered Kashmir and describes how they were "punished and interrogated" in turn for half-an-hour every evening.

"They would whip us with lashes, and ask the whereabouts of a person whose name we had never heard."

They were given no reason for their arrest.

Mr Karim was an emotional and aggressive activist who belonged to the United Kashmir Peoples National Party (PNP), which advocates a sovereign Kashmir, independent of both India and Pakistan.

He says that he had been rounded up by Pakistan's powerful Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).

Pakistan's military spokesman, Athar Abbas, told the BBC that all such allegations were simply not true. But Mr Karim has now quit politics out of fear.

Independence hopes

In Kashmir, such groups are called pro-independence, as opposed to pro-Pakistan groups that advocate union with Pakistan.

Pakistan and India went to war over Kashmir in 1948. A ceasefire negotiated by the United Nations left the region divided between the two countries, pending a final resolution which still remains elusive.

While initially there was a predominantly pro-Pakistan sentiment across the region, over the last few decades many pro-independence groups have emerged.

Many former independence fighters live a life of social and economic exclusion

makeshift shelters Many former independence fighters live a life of social and economic exclusion

Pakistan's security establishment, which India accuses of fuelling an insurgency in Indian-administered Kashmir since 1989, views these groups with suspicion.

Abdul Majeed is a member of one.

Many years ago while he was a student he was implicated in as many as 47 different criminal offences ranging from murder and treason to rioting and theft.

"For three months I was in a police lock-up. When the court set aside one case, they would bring another one against me," he says.

Finally, a senior law enforcement official summoned him to his office and told him that if he withdrew from student politics, the court cases would be quashed.

"I assured him accordingly. Three days later I was released. I stayed away from politics for several years."

Former Kashmiri militants who later gave up fighting have also been under pressure.

The first group of fighters to renounce militancy was linked to the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), a secular, pro-independence group that started the 1989 insurgency in Indian Kashmir.

Pro-Pakistan fighters

Pakistan's government denies any involvement with militant groups in Kashmir. But security sources and analysts maintain that certain elements of the ISI are involved in Kashmiri militancy.

According to JKLF leaders, the group was initially supported by Pakistan and its fighters crossed into Pakistan-administered Kashmir where they were trained by the military.

But when the uprising became popular, the Pakistani authorities decided to abandon JKLF and field a pro-Pakistan force instead.

In the early 1990s an Islamic group of Kashmiri fighters, Hizbul Mujahideen (HM), was introduced into the conflict with a mandate to fight both the Indian forces and the JKLF, analysts say.

Thus cornered, many JKLF fighters laid down their arms and quietly slipped into a life of social and economic exclusion.

Abdul Wadood is one such fighter.

Once a top JKLF commander in the Baramulla region of Indian-administered Kashmir, he now lives in a tent with his wife and two children in a village near Muzaffarabad.

"My future is a lost cause, and that of my children is at stake. It's a traumatic existence," he says.

By the mid-1990s, frustration also started to creep into the HM ranks as the insurgency descended into a stalemate and the local population began to suffer the fallout from the conflict.

"The problem which we left our homes to resolve has remained where it was. For a while we thought it was holy war. Now I think it's just business," says Abdul Rauf, a former HM militant.

Some former militant commanders and their families now live in tents in Pakistan-administered Kashmir

Originally from a merchant family of Sopore on the Indian side, Mr Rauf now makes a living as a construction worker in Muzaffarabad.
shangala camp Some former militant commanders and their families now live in tents in Pakistan-administered Kashmir

As the Kashmiri fighters became increasingly disillusioned, activists say the Pakistani security establishment started to raise Pakistani groups such as Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammad to keep the conflict going in Indian Kashmir.

These groups still have offices and camps in several parts of Pakistani Kashmir, says Fazal Mehmood Baig, a lawyer and pro-independence activist.
"They conduct open propaganda campaigns to promote jihad, while those who oppose them are threatened, beaten up and arrested," he says.

Missing 'warriors'

In 2004, former Kashmiri fighters tried to organise a group they called the "Real Warriors" which opposed the activities of the pro-Pakistani militant groups.

But it soon became defunct when, according to one group member, some of its leaders were picked up by the ISI and others were threatened with incarceration.

Mr Baig says hundreds of pro-independence activists and former militants are currently missing, and are presumed to be held by the ISI.

The authorities in Muzaffarabad do not dispute this claim, but justify such action on the grounds that local laws do not allow pro-independence politics.

"There may be some innocent people among [those arrested] "¦ there may be mistakes made [by the intelligence operatives] "¦ but the imperatives of national defence sometimes necessitate such arrests"¦" says Sardar Atique Khan, Prime Minister of Pakistan-administered Kashmir.

As resentment in the region continues to simmer, activists with aspirations for independence have found themselves without their voices and their guns.

Some names have been changed

Rage

DFI TEAM
This proves the Farcicalness of the attitude: of letting Kashmiris decide for themselves.

F^ck you Pakistan!

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Kashmir has been a disputed territory since 1948
Dispute my ***. This has been disputed by the bigoted NATO countries to support their cold war agenda. If they have any respect and support for us like they do claim all the time, they should re-draw their maps of POK as legally Indian territory. I think since we have a growing clout, how about showing N. Ireland as Republic of Ireland's territory, Basque as disputed, Alaska as Canadian and French Guayana in South America as Venezuelan?

Then perhaps West will realize how it pinches to show legal territories of others as "disputed. :mad2:

The first group of fighters to renounce militancy was linked to the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), a secular, pro-independence group that started the 1989 insurgency in Indian Kashmir.
So this is the true meaning of secularism. I see. Massacring Kashmiri Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhists in broad daylight.... Then I am a proud fundamentalist nationalist of political right wing and proud not being secular.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The British, whenever and wherever they left from their colonies, left a dispute.

Clever chaps.

The left inbuilt ground to interfere at a later date.

The were always pro Pakistan and BBC more so.

However, the kick that the fundamentalists gave them on 7/11 where they shook London, woke them up to smell the coffee!

mayfair

The British, whenever and wherever they left from their colonies, left a dispute.
I think it also depends on the colonies. Can't remember too many significant (internal) disputes bothering Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Singapore, Hong Kong. But for South Africa, Rhodesia, East Africa, Middle East et al. see the difference?

Last edited:

ganesh177

Country flag
........................edit......................

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I think it also depends on the colonies. Can't remember too many significant (internal) disputes bothering Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Singapore, Hong Kong. But for South Africa, Rhodesia, East Africa, Middle East et al. see the difference?
Actually Canada had it's own set of disputes with Quebec. Singapore had with it's neighbors (since resolved) and China vs Britain over Hong Kong was alive till the 1990s. The quagmire of Kashmir was definitely started by the west and Pakistan, built up by Pakistan and it's cronies (read China), but our inept Cong leaders or idotic BJP leaders have fueled it too.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ Very well said man. 100% true whatever you just said. There was never a "Kashmir issue", just a state that islamic fundamentalists ruined by trying to act all Pakistan 2.0. We need to actually use our defense deals as cards to remove Kashmir state's status as "disputed" territories. Or draw basque of Spain, Northern Ireland of UK, Alaska of USA, Quebec of Canada etc with dotted lines for two years straight on our maps sold. Perhaps that would convey what's the feeling like.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
in next 5 years time, BBC would be reporting about the break up of pakistan and how Kashmiris were lucky to have stayed with India!

Sikh_warrior

Professional
i would like to see BBC reporting about ethenic cleansing of ORIGINAL NATIVES Kashmiri Pandits, carried out by these Kashmiri fighters in the name of freedom!

sukhish

in next 5 years time, BBC would be reporting about the break up of pakistan and how Kashmiris were lucky to have stayed with India!
that's exactly what I was thinking. the west knows its limits on kashmir. paksitan is on the edge, it won't be a state by 2020.

Country flag
The British seem to be upset about the slow down in the militancy in Kashmir. Still doing their part by cutting the aid to India and Increasing Pakistan's aid. Will they still be called Independence fighters when they ask for a separate Londonistan in UK???

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1687576.ece
Sharia Law gets 'OK' in Britain

First separate laws are given then territory.

JBH22

After they are done with Pakistan they'll open an Indian a/c and focus on various internal separatism we have,Human right violations etc but this can be mitigated if India becomes stronger...

I remember what sort of witch hunt they did with Russia in the 1990s still blocked with their colonial mentality going around the world and imposing their fvcking standards

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
After they are done with Pakistan they'll open an Indian a/c and focus on various internal separatism we have,Human right violations etc but this can be mitigated if India becomes stronger...

I remember what sort of witch hunt they did with Russia in the 1990s still blocked with their colonial mentality going around the world and imposing their fvcking standards
I agree with you. But before that, we will have to get rid of asshats like the UPA's top leadership and install someone that can prepare us for such a day. With this crap government in power, we need to start getting scared of Seychelles as well.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Drawing dotted lines on out maps for domestic use is not going to make a difference to anyone.

We have been putting up with the "righteous" west nonsense for 60 years. Have to put up with it for another 10 and after that they will be drawing maps according to our maps. Why get hyped up on such reports that have been coming out time and time again to show India in bad light.

We have a saying, agar koi aap pe jalta hai, to aapki shaan aur tarakki utni hi zyada hogi. We just need to buckle down and do what we need to. In due course we will be writing history and documentaries and reports that the west has been for so long. Till then, don't get hyper about such reports. They don't mean squat to us.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Cant call Australia, NZ,Canada as a colony after they more or less wiped out the Native American and Aborigine population. The lands became "their own". So too with the US. It's just that the people who settled there started to move away from their ancestral land and their monarch.

India was a different case altogether. They never came to settle down. They could not have even imagined about doing in India what they did to the aborigines. They came to Jair exploit us and our resources.

Western duplicity and hypocrisy is well known. But rules, history etc has always been written by the powerful and the victors!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles