The Iron Couples : Training Indian Forces from last 18 years

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Dr. Deepak Rao with Dr. Seema Rao on the training field
Lt Col Rao has made for no less than 17 years is commendable because in no other country would a civilian dedicate his life to the service of the armed forces of the nation and there is one more person as a part of this crusade, Dr. Seema who work in the field of modernization of the army, Dr. Seema Rao is an MD, MBA in Crisis Management and PhD is daughter of a freedom fighter. She along with Dr. Rao has dedicated her life to the service to the nation..

Her contributions include combat training, authoring books for the Indian defense forces and partnering with Dr. rao on all aspects of combat.A 7th degree black belt in military martial arts Dr. Seema rao is also a reflex shooting expert and instructor. She has been instrumental in training various chapters from the forces and the state police under the directive of the home ministry.

She has won citation and awards for her contribution to the field of combat and unmatched dedication and grit she has displayed by not choosing a profession that would have brought her money and fame alike keeping in mind doctors are treated as gods in India. She has also won word peace award from world peace congress for her work for her nation.

Dr. Deepak Rao (47) along with his wife Dr Seema Rao, spent their life by giving his expertise & talents in training Indian Army and Indian Forces, serving the Nation for 18 years, They trained almost every elite Indian force in modern Close Quarter Battle for 17 years without accepting any compensation, as a Selfless service to the Nation.The Raos developed an indigenous method of Reflex Shooting which was found to be very useful by Indian forces. This Indian research is now replacing outdated British WW-II methods.In short, they are responsible for modernization of reflex shooting for the Indian forces.In addition they have authored the first encyclopedia of close quarter battle in the world which was distributed by the Indian Home Ministry each and every Indian force. The Rao's have used their life's earnings to produce this book and donated thousands of copies to the Indian government.

Lt Col Rao, serves in Territorial Army, And recently promoted to Lt Col rank..

abingdonboy

Country flag
I'm sorry but what the eff are civilians doing training Indian soldiers?!! What actual qualifications do they have in this having 0 actual military experience between them?? What experience do either of them have in actual CQB, my guess is NONE. It is all well and good that they have given such "selfless service" but I'd say they have no part to doing so in the first place. The Indian military has instructors, I don't see what skills or knowledge CIVILIANS can bring that the serving military personal either don't have or cannot obtain easily? I don't want to be crude but what the hell is a WOMAN doing teaching active military personal in combat? She has never served in the army, never served in combat, never been militarily trained, nothing. What could she possibly teach the IA?

All props to them for their authoring work but when it comes to actual combat training there is no way they should be involved in this.

What is going on here? It is truly baffling. I hope this practice is cancelled immediately it is insanity.

@Kunal Biswas can you shed some light on this fiasco?

Last edited by a moderator:

abingdonboy

Country flag
+ if they are so great why does the SF not get training from them!! It is actually pretty infuriating that they are allowed to train Indian military personal in combat techniques.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I'm sorry but what the eff are civilians doing training Indian soldiers?!! What actual qualifications do they have in this having 0 actual military experience between them??
From my US Army experience, training was performed by NCOs and Officers for the most part. Only in highly technical areas (nuclear subjects) was classroom instruction performed by civilians. One exception was driver training.

There seems to be a further integration of civilian instructors today.

The United States Army | Fort Benning

abingdonboy

Country flag
From my US Army experience, training was performed by NCOs and Officers for the most part. Only in highly technical areas (nuclear subjects) was classroom instruction performed by civilians. One exception was driver training.

There seems to be a further integration of civilian instructors today.

The United States Army | Fort Benning
That's what I would expect, but I would not expect actual combat training like what is reported in this article. It is unclear though what exactly these civilins imparted on the soldiers as the IA must have a standard training manual for its entire force and these people are unlikley to have trained even 1% of the force so they must be providing add-on modules that aren't exactly nessercary but the IA will take them none the less as they are free after all and like they say no knowledge is wasted. And the fact that the IA has its own CQB trainnig procedures and modules makes the work of the civilians null and viod.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@abingdonboy you always come clueless, Show some respect ..

1. Mr Deepak Rao, is a TA officer before, he has gone through basic military training of IA.

2. Mrs and Mr Rao are expertise in close hand to hand fighting and they are offering the techniques to IA, IA hand to hand fighting technique goes back to 1940s..

3. Which cave you been living in ? ' WOMAN ' that lady make soldiers cry, go through her profile, silly....

4. abingdonboy, you dont read people post before reaching to your conclusions which are often unpleasant, go through @Ankit Purohit post no 4, listen what Gen sir have to say about the training he offered to both IA, paramilitary and SF of all three wings ..

---------------------------------------

Bottom line is both Mr & Mrs are instructor in close hand to hand fighting and there reflex firing is better than what British left here..

Glad these people are doing something than many whiners both inside and outside army !!

I'm sorry but what the eff are civilians doing training Indian soldiers?!! What actual qualifications do they have in this having 0 actual military experience between them?? What experience do either of them have in actual CQB, my guess is NONE. It is all well and good that they have given such "selfless service" but I'd say they have no part to doing so in the first place. The Indian military has instructors, I don't see what skills or knowledge CIVILIANS can bring that the serving military personal either don't have or cannot obtain easily? I don't want to be crude but what the hell is a WOMAN doing teaching active military personal in combat? She has never served in the army, never served in combat, never been militarily trained, nothing. What could she possibly teach the IA?

All props to them for their authoring work but when it comes to actual combat training there is no way they should be involved in this.

What is going on here? It is truly baffling. I hope this practice is cancelled immediately it is insanity.

@Kunal Biswas can you shed some light on this fiasco?
+ if they are so great why does the SF not get training from them!! It is actually pretty infuriating that they are allowed to train Indian military personal in combat techniques.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
IA hand to hand fighting technique goes back to 1940s..
Any IA personnel trained by this guy, or were his methods used that you know of?

William E. Fairbairn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
William Ewart Fairbairn (28 February 1885–20 June 1960) was a British soldier, police officer and exponent of hand-to-hand combat method, the close combat, for the Shanghai Police between the world wars, and allied special forces in World War II. He developed his own fighting system known as Defendu, as well as other weapons tactics. Notably, this included innovative pistol shooting techniques and the development of the Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife.

The television series Secrets of War suggested him as a possible inspiration for Q branch in James Bond.

abingdonboy

Country flag
@abingdonboy you always come clueless, Show some respect ..

1. Mr Deepak Rao, is a TA officer before, he has gone through basic military training of IA.

2. Mrs and Mr Rao are expertise in close hand to hand fighting and they are offering the techniques to IA, IA hand to hand fighting technique goes back to 1940s..

3. Which cave you been living in ? ' WOMAN ' that lady make soldiers cry, go through her profile, silly....

4. abingdonboy, you dont read people post before reaching to your conclusions which are often unpleasant, go through @Ankit Purohit post no 4, listen what Gen sir have to say about the training he offered to both IA, paramilitary and SF of all three wings ..

---------------------------------------

Bottom line is both Mr & Mrs are instructor in close hand to hand fighting and there reflex firing is better than what British left here..

Glad these people are doing something than many whiners both inside and outside army !!
I'm sorry @Kunal Biswas I don't agree with any of your points. TA training?! So what?? Does this make him qualified to train IA? Unless he was an instructor in the IA what can he add to the IA's training program? What value does his training bring to the IA?

I understand what you are saying and yes the training imparted by these two is probably better than what the Brits left back in the 1940s but does that mean they deserve to continue in their role? I don't think so. Hand to hand training is one thing but on their site they are bragging about CQB training but from where has a TA soldier and a female civialan master modern-day CQB techniques?

Fair enough these people have done commendable work but their utility is spent. The IA is transforming its training regime and the little these two could train on will be more than covered by the IA on its own in the future.

The SF have already moved away from these outside contractors. I know for a fact that in the past 4 years the IA and IAF SFs have had many of their personal be qualified as instructors in certain lethal hand to hand techniques from Israel and the Phillipnes. The IN SF never had civilians train them. And there is nothing these two can teach Indian SOFs in CQB so that is a moot point.

The "Iron couple" have done commendable service for their nation and filled a certain gap in the IA's training process but their duty is done.

I hope the IA and IAF follow the IN's path and stop giving out these "honorary" ranks an unit citations to any tom dick and harry. The military honors should be reserved for purely serving military personal, civilians should receive purely civilian accolades. What the MoD/GoI/IA top brass give away with ease to civilians left right and centre is earned through blood sweet and tears by military personal.

And @Kunal Biswas sir, you should give others the right to hold views different to your own. It is incredibly insulting and patronizing to be talked down to purely for holding a certain view that may not tally with your own.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1.Do you know about anything regarding Instructors in IA ?, Do you have idea about the skill taught in close quarter hand to hand combat in IA ?

His skills with proper qualifications backing his ideas qualifies him for the proposed training he is proposing to IA, If IA feels its good for men no one have right to say otherwise, Can you care to do proper research before asking..

2. Who told you about revolutionary change in training of IA ?

3. SF not only learn single techniques but many mixture of techniques, Are you sure they dont train anymore i did-not heard them saying so or Our Forces, He is a guest CQB instructor for 18 years and on..

4. I say the same thing but different way, I personally think this respect was long overdue, there are many whiners both inside and outside army with out any solutions, at least these guys are doing something and successful most importantly someone stepped up doing something for Army`s obsolete close combat tactics, Its a thousand times better to award a man who was in TA before than a cricket man with a honorary rank..

5. Then you are welcome to do so, I am not changing anyone view or stopping them from expressing but telling its wrong coz its wrong, People get on there own without much idea of the depth which are wrong and these goes on as disinformation about our forces which is again wrong, If your view is incorrect then it is if mine i accept its my knowledge which is limited..

1. TA training?! So what?? Does this make him qualified to train IA? Unless he was an instructor in the IA what can he add to the IA's training program? What value does his training bring to the IA? I understand what you are saying and yes the training imparted by these two is probably better than what the Brits left back in the 1940s but does that mean they deserve to continue in their role? I don't think so. Hand to hand training is one thing but on their site they are bragging about CQB training but from where has a TA soldier and a female civialan master modern-day CQB techniques?

2. The IA is transforming its training regime and the little these two could train on will be more than covered by the IA on its own in the future.

3. The SF have already moved away from these outside contractors. I know for a fact that in the past 4 years the IA and IAF SFs have had many of their personal be qualified as instructors in certain lethal hand to hand techniques from Israel and the Phillipnes. The IN SF never had civilians train them. And there is nothing these two can teach Indian SOFs in CQB so that is a moot point.The "Iron couple" have done commendable service for their nation and filled a certain gap in the IA's training process but their duty is done.

4. I hope the IA and IAF follow the IN's path and stop giving out these "honorary" ranks an unit citations to any tom dick and harry. The military honors should be reserved for purely serving military personal, civilians should receive purely civilian accolades. What the MoD/GoI/IA top brass give away with ease to civilians left right and centre is earned through blood sweet and tears by military personal.

5.@Kunal Biswas sir, you should give others the right to hold views different to your own. It is incredibly insulting and patronizing to be talked down to purely for holding a certain view that may not tally with your own.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Proud and Glad on Our Civilian brother and Sisters have taken such responsibility..

In my Heart there is nothing but respect for this ' Iron Couple ' !

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
I know they are best ,i have no words,I Just want To convey message to people who easily underestimate anybody Please Dont

So why Criticise........Give Respect Get Respect,

Indian army is a Great institution for me and everybody

Respect For Indian Army and DR Rao :salute:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE ANYBODY

Jai Hind.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles