The Hijacking of Chinese Patriotism

happy

BEIJING — THE Chinese government, as part of a long-running dispute over islands in the East China Sea, recently declared an "air defense identification zone" in the area, raising tensions with Japan and the United States.

In my view, the significance of this step is not the warning to Japan, but the patriotic stance it represents. For a long time a strain of popular opinion in China had criticized the government for being weak on the issue. The new stance can be seen as a response to these sentiments.

In this connection I am reminded of a pair of incidents last summer.

On July 17, in the town of Linwu in Hunan Province, in central China, a melon farmer, Deng Zhengjia, and his wife had a dispute with municipal officials by their roadside watermelon stall. Several officers beat Mr. Deng, and he fell to the ground and died. According to witnesses, he had been struck on the head with a steelyard weight before he fell.

On July 27, in a shooting in an apartment building near Miami, a gunman killed six people before being shot dead by the police.

These two episodes would seem, on the surface, completely unrelated.

But when, on July 28, Chen Mingming, deputy governor of Guizhou Province, in southwest China, posted news of the Florida shooting on his microblog, a curious link between them emerged.

"How come there's yet another shooting in America?!" Mr. Chen exclaimed.

"How come there's yet another assault by city management officers in China?!" an Internet user shot back, referencing the death in Linwu.

"Some people just can't wait to see tragic incidents take place in our country, and then they blow things all out of proportion," Mr. Chen responded. "These unpatriotic people are degenerates — the dregs of society!"

A single comment about a melon vendor's death was enough to send this high-ranking Communist Party official into a paroxysm of rage. "These people so love to bad-mouth their native country, but then they hang around here instead of going off to America!" Mr. Chen fumed. "Off you go, hurry up! I'm all for it. But before you leave, be sure to get some plastic surgery done — you don't want them to see you're a Chinese! ... These people hate their country so much they feel miserable that they're Chinese, so let's pack them off to America — the sooner the better! Such riffraff!"

But his effort to frame the question as one of patriotism backfired spectacularly, setting off a huge controversy.

Some critics pointed out that cursing one's government is not the same thing as cursing one's country. Others challenged Mr. Chen's love-it-or-leave-it logic: "If your window is broken, don't you want to fix it? Or do you move into your neighbor's house? Or do you make a song-and-dance about how your door is intact? If you love this country, it's natural that you take time to point out its imperfections, for that way you can make it better." But the majority objected mainly to his intemperate language.

Mr. Chen's supporters strongly feel that the government is the country, but he realized he had gone too far: He made a remark to the effect that in the future he would keep his cool.

The real question that needs discussing is, does criticism of the government necessarily mean criticism of the country? But all we got was a debate about rhetoric and whether a deputy governor had expressed himself properly.

The patriotic education promoted by the Communist Party over the last 64 years has managed to equate "love of country" with love of the party and the government. But when the distinction between country and ruler is erased, patriotism ends up being hijacked, and easily manipulated by a narrow-minded nationalism.

In August and September of last year, the controversy over the islands — known as the Diaoyu in Chinese and the Senkaku in Japanese — ignited two rounds of demonstrations in many Chinese cities, which included violent attacks on Japanese-owned businesses and Japanese-made cars. In a shocking scene recorded on video, a motorist in the city of Xi'an, Li Jianli, had his skull smashed in while trying to protect his Toyota.

What makes me all the more uneasy is that it's not just ordinary citizens who confuse nation and government. Some intellectuals do, too. A scholar friend once said to me, "Here at home we can criticize our country, but when we go abroad we need to defend it. In the same way, at home it's O.K. to argue with one's parents, but outside the home we never tolerate criticism of them."

"But we're criticizing the government, not the nation," I replied.

Later I posted this on my microblog: "Some people still aren't clear about the difference between nation and government. And so anyone who aims a criticism at the government gets denounced as a traitor. Let me make an analogy: The nation is like one's parents, and the government is like a steward; loving the steward and loving one's parents are completely different things. One can't change one's parents, but one has every right to replace the steward."

One of my readers reposted my remarks, adding: "Mom and Dad, where are you? I want to file a complaint about the steward." Our parents will never hear the complaint, for the steward has supplanted them.

The steward, however, is beginning to have a rough time. Last year, under cover of the anti-Japan protests, some aired their disaffection. One slogan urging war on Japan contained a double meaning. "Let's fight!" it read. "If we win, we get the Diaoyu Islands; if we lose, we get a new China." By "new China" it meant a China in which the Communist Party was no longer the dominant power.

Yu Hua, the author of the forthcoming book "Boy in the Twilight: Stories of the Hidden China," is a contributing opinion writer. This article was translated by Allan H. Barr from the Chinese.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/o...otism.html?hp&rref=opinion/international&_r=0

wodoo1

We American don't have this kind issue. We send patriots to Iraq to fight for US and kill enemies. US army is a good place for them to work for Patriotism and fight for US interests. I don't understand why stupid Chinese keeps a huge army inside China. A strong Army should be stationed in other countries and fight professionally in global.

Last edited:

happy

We American don't have this kind issue. We send patriots to Iraq to fight for US and kill enemies. US army is a good place for them to work for Patriotism and fight for US interests. I don't understand why stupid Chinese keeps a huge army inside China. A strong Army should be stationed in other countries and fight professionally in global.
You are NOT an AMERICAN !!! Dont try to parrot as one. Consider this a friendly advise.

wodoo1

This world is power talk. A country can threaten and fight against a country but you cannot kill residents same as Nazism. As least you needs to moral support the freedom and human right like US army. Nazism Japan need to be wiped out from the earth. We American did it 80 years ago but not enough. We should not allow any Nazism in India/Japan and China.

Last edited:

AAiox Xin

i wonder why IDF mod would allow this random guy/girl to derail topic that have to do with china
just like any other country, europe, australia north america and other part of the world (including Malaysia), you can find this kind of people swarming around the world !
off-topic = take example you find on youtube where american chinese protest again't Jimmy Kimmel calming his to be a nazi ,LOL... where this event is also being broadcast by CCTV english dialogue host Tian Wei

wodoo1

They are right power to make sure WW2 never happen again. We American support it! Jimmy Kimmel also support it now. Zero tolerant to Nazism. You cannot say kill all Indian in TV show no matter what is the reason.

Last edited:

wodoo1

>>So you threatening Patriotism on Japan as senkaku are belong to China and china is angry with previous Japan Patriotism?
Our government does not have an official position on the merits of the competing sovereignty claims although Japan is one of our closest allies. But China has good reason and also strong enough to claim it based on the documentation in WW2. We don't want to offend China, which is one of G2. It is good for us to sale more flights and weapons to Japan. We need money from Japan although Japan industry has shrinked a lot when Samsung and Taiwan companies replaced them.

Last edited:

debasree

Country flag
another chinis in disguse of us howmany r there ..r they funded from that tortoise of red party heas of chinis

wodoo1

I represent xx% of American although I don't the exact number

happy

I represent xx% of American although I don't the exact number
Your lack of comprehension of basic english gives away the truth that you are not american.

To correct your sentence.........you should say "I represent xx% of Americans, although I don't know the exact number."

Why are you keep on trying to imitate Americans??? This thread is exactly for people like you.

No wonder, Chen Mingming, deputy governor of Guizhou Province, in southwest China made an utterly true statement out of a paroxysm of rage ---> "These people so love to bad-mouth their native country, but then they hang around here instead of going off to America!" Mr. Chen fumed. "Off you go, hurry up! I'm all for it. But before you leave, be sure to get some plastic surgery done — you don't want them to see you're a Chinese! ... These people hate their country so much they feel miserable that they're Chinese, so let's pack them off to America — the sooner the better! Such riffraff!"

Applies perfectly to you. Hope you had some plastic surgery also ;)

wodoo1

Many American like me. we are not a small part. We always believe US can do better before our fingers point to others. That's why we are greater and thronger than you.

kseeker

Retired
@happy,

No point in explaining things to this wodoo guy ! He doesn't even understand what he is writing and in which context he is writing or what others are saying about him. He is nothing but a spammer who is here to waste our time.

Better to ignore him permanently.

Last edited by a moderator:

happy

Many American like me. we are not a small part. We always believe US can do better before our fingers point to others. That's why we are greater and thronger than you.
Ha ha ha. FYI (For Your Information) Current Population - Chinese American - Ethno Med - eCampus Geriatrics - Stanford Medicine

According to the 2005-2007 survey, about 17% of the Chinese American population spoke English only, while 83% spoke a language other than English. About 47% reported they spoke English less than "very well."
Guess, you are part of that 3 million and even better you are part of the 47%

happy

@happy,

No point in explaining things to this wodoo guy ! He doesn't even understand what he is writing and in which context he is writing or what others are saying about him. He is nothing but a spammer who is here to waste our time.

Better to ignore him permanently.
Having a good time so far. I will oblige his ignorance until my patience runs out (btw, i have very less of it ;)).

But, I like him/her because of the mere fact that he/she does not want to be identified as a chinese and is trying his/her level best to prove it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You are NOT an AMERICAN !!! Dont try to parrot as one. Consider this a friendly advise.
Are you suggesting he is a Chinese and not proud to be one?

Is that why he is cleverly holding China's candle with a chameleon's grace?

happy

Are you suggesting he is a Chinese and not proud to be one?

Is that why he is cleverly holding China's candle with a chameleon's grace?
Ha ha ha. Most probably Sir. Why else would he be so perturbed about the posts riling chinese bullying tactics. He feels that we are supporting Japan and so he is trying very hard to somehow unsettle us by quoting that China saved India from Japanese invasion. :facepalm: He doesn't acknowledge the fact that Japs were favourable towards India and opposed the British colonisation of India.

cw2005

II wonder how to define the meaning of "American". It has different definitions. In general American could be describing those who live in America (North and South) including Mexico, Canada, USA, Brazil and etc.

If the definition here narrows down to represent Citizen of United States of America, then anyone with such status would be qualified as American, be it Indian, Chinese, German etc.

If we check the IP address, we might even have some idea the location of the member but it is not necessary accurate. For instance, an IP address might show someone from Germany. In reality, the local ISP might hook up its clients via Sat. and the signal come down to a Germany server to join the web.

So back to the topic. I agree partially on what the author says. China always selects the proper timing to do certain things. In the past, during the initial developing period, China needs Japan's investment and technologies and they kept low profile on disputes between China and Japan even attacked by Chinese that China is actually "lost" the disputed island. Even as today, when some HongKongers want to sail a boat to those island are to be détente by the Hong Kong government on the ground of safety issues of the boat. Such act from the Government of Hong Kong must be dictated from Beijing.

I believe what China wants to do is to announce its intention now and solve the disputed issues in its favor when China becomes too powerful to be challenged.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
wodoo1 is just the latest site pest inflicted on the forum by Chinese who otherwise have no coherent arguments.

He should be on everyone's Ignore List.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles