The Greatest War Movies

S.A.T.A

Most Indian war films have generally followed the formula set by the greatest ever Indian war film Haqeeqat.Haqeeqat definitely is on top of my all time favorite war epics.The cinematography,music, background score and the cast was almost perfect.A simple story,great story telling.

Another movie that got my attention was a kannada war epic,Muttina haraA biopic of one Col Achappa,the story begins from world war II and follows Achappa's life career through the 48 war and to the climax set in 1962.Great story(it was adopted from a popular kannada novel)and one Vishnuvardhan's(a popular kannada actor) better performance.

I'll be honest,as much i wished it had,Border did not impress me.Just too many main characters and too many subplots(most of them with a romantic angle)for a war movie.

Since we are talking about war movies,and assuming not just in a modern setting.Kingdom of Heavenwas very impressive.Ridley scott managed to capture the gritty world of a crusader almost perfectly.The final scenes depicting the siege of Jerusalem by Salahuddin was mind boggling.

There were several great British movies set during the world war II,which is watched during the Doordarshan days,titles of which i sadly don't recall anymore.good movies nevertheless.

Many of the movies mentioned by other posters were impressive too.Although not exactly a war movie,The German movie Der untergang
(about Hitler and his regimes last days in the secret Berlin bunker)was quite impressive.Bruno Ganz as Hitler,for lack of better description, was eerily chilling.Ganz looked and acted like Hitler better than any actor who ever played Hitler before(you have to watch the movie just to see Ganz)

natarajan

there is one film on 1962 Chinese war ,dedicating to few soldiers in border who fought with huge waves of Chinese armed men
what is it?

IBM

1, Tora,Tora,Tora
2, Behind enemy lines
3, Black hawk down
4, Lakashya
5, Haqeqat 1962 war

Pintu

All quiet in the western front

Haqueqat

Regards

ajay_ijn

Country flag
3. Black hawk down
after watching this movie, i read about Indian Armys Jaffna University operation to catch prabhakaran and other LTTE leaders. what surprised me is Black Hawk down movie is almost exactly similar to real life events of that operation except for the fact that none of IAF helicopters were shot down but a Mi-8 helicopter was heavily damaged.

even the mission objectives very much similar, helicopter assault, there was no convoy in Indian Armys case, all of them were transported using helicopters but in both soldiers are surprised and overwhelmed by the enemy, finally tanks come to rescue.

leonblack08

Respected Member
My favorites are:

1.Saving Private Ryan
2.The Thin Red Line
3.Enemy At the Gates
4.The Beast of War
5.Platoon
6.Pearl Harbor
7.Behind Enemy Lines
8.Black Hawk Down

threadbrowser

I'll second that Das Boot was very Gripping.
My all time favourite is still Patton.
Not really a movie but HBO's generation kill blew me away.

Border is on my all time hate list.
I dream of a bollywood movie that dares to ignore the obvious wars and kargil. A stark look at the realities of COIN and the day to day grind faced by the InA infantryman, paying close attention to detail in the vein of generation kill would be wonderful to watch.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I'll second that Das Boot was very Gripping.
My all time favourite is still Patton.
Not really a movie but HBO's generation kill blew me away.

Border is on my all time hate list.
I dream of a bollywood movie that dares to ignore the obvious wars and kargil. A stark look at the realities of COIN and the day to day grind faced by the InA infantryman, paying close attention to detail in the vein of generation kill would be wonderful to watch.
Indian film makers are never keen on details, they are keen only on emotions and skin. That's what sells in Bollywood. I hope it will change for the good. Though Lakshya was good.

threadbrowser

Indian film makers are never keen on details, they are keen only on emotions and skin. That's what sells in Bollywood. I hope it will change for the good. Though Lakshya was good.
Aint it the truth!
But i still believe that if you write a good script and take the extra time to film it accurately people will watch.
I was annoyed by only one thing in lakshya, trucks driving on a mountain road and artillery falling everywhere but on the trucks that too with bright red fireworks flashes!!!:blum3:

Ratus Ratus

Professional
Ha.. Worry about this lot for some war movies.

All Quiet on the Western Front
Zulu
Das Boot
Lawrance of Arabia
The Colonel – French
Captain Conan - French

Joint Security Area – S Korean
Cross of Iron
Days Of Glory - French
Blessed By Fire – English/Argentinean
Beaufort - Israeli
The Winter War - Finish
The Odd Angry Shot - Autralian

xebex

here are my fav war movies...

1, Brave heart
2, The Patriot
3, Saving private Ryan
4, Black Hawk Down
5, U-571
6, The hunt for red october ( if u consider cold war)

yup...thatz pretty much i can remember as of now....will add if i get more names.

xebex

"The great escape" is a nice movie and i believe it was based on real events (if i am not wrong). old but epic.......highly recommended if anybody havent seen it.

Country flag
"The great escape" is a nice movie and i believe it was based on real events (if i am not wrong). old but epic.......highly recommended if anybody havent seen it.
almost all of the movies i listed are based on real fact or people,these are some real classics

A.V.

ENEMY AT THE GATES
my all time favourite

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles