The great Maggi con job: How their ads have been fooling you for years

Would you still continue to eat Maggi Noodles/ any instant noodles after this health scare?

• Total voters

Rashna

Country flag
I don't like maggi since a long time so have avoided it like the plague... I used to like those Koka Noodle but whenever i eat this stuff i always feel like something is wrong with it. For one they have that wax coating which i believe is hard to digest....

Thats retarded ..... a lot of people (incl. kids. ) sometimes eat a little Tastemaker as it is .... another common practice is to sprinkle a small amount of tastemaker after the noodles are cooked. I loved to do this ....
@Rashna - me thinks you are like that too ;)

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
glutamic acid is one of the twenty amino acids present in our proteins. Mono sodium glutamate is just a salt of that amino acid. Tomorrow these morons will ban dihydrogen monoxide from use if given good scare :laugh:
But in salt form it directly stimulates the nerves ... thats not good.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
But in salt form it directly stimulates the nerves ... thats not good.
Dude, seriously who gave you this stupid idea? All the proteins we eat are guested into constituent amino acids before consumption. So the proteins which we eat do get digested into amino acid glutamic acid and so this will be no different

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Thats retarded ..... a lot of people (incl. kids. ) sometimes eat a little Tastemaker as it is .... another common practice is to sprinkle a small amount of tastemaker after the noodles are cooked. I loved to do this ....
@Rashna - me thinks you are like that too ;)
Wow. Dude? Da hell ? The poison you eat is only as problematic as the total amount you consume and not the concentration it is consumed in.

That's why I have been saying this ban is meaning less . even if the tastemaker did have the lead as mentioned, taken it with the whole pack or just the taste maker alone makes no difference at all. To make it clearer. Consuming just one packet of taste maker alone or one packet taste maker with noodles makes no difference.

But if you are someone who can consume raw taste maker to the tune of 100s on a single serving that's a different story altogether. But I don't think any such stupid people even exist

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Wow. Dude? Da hell ? The poison you eat is only as problematic as the total amount you consume and not the concentration it is consumed in.

That's why I have been saying this ban is meaning less . even if the tastemaker did have the lead as mentioned, taken it with the whole pack or just the taste maker alone makes no difference at all. To make it clearer. Consuming just one packet of taste maker alone or one packet taste maker with noodles makes no difference.

But if you are someone who can consume raw taste maker to the tune of 100s on a single serving that's a different story altogether. But I don't think any such stupid people even exist
Two points:
a) The concentration matters are Glutamates in general try to pass the BBB/blood brain barrier and for 99.99% people that is not a problem.
b) Yup you would have to be a retard^10000000 to do the 100 packet thing.
This article rules out the harm from MSG but does establish a subgroup which may be sensitive:
http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v61/n3/full/1602526a.html

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Two points:
a) The concentration matters are Glutamates in general try to pass the BBB/blood brain barrier and for 99.99% people that is not a problem.
b) Yup you would have to be a retard^10000000 to do the 100 packet thing.
This article rules out the harm from MSG but does establish a subgroup which may be sensitive:
http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v61/n3/full/1602526a.html

1. As I said, all proteins have glutamic acid . and they all cause glutamates absorption form intestine. Does it mean we should ban all proteinaceous foods?

2. Don't read too much on these half baked articles. And all people have some problem or other. We can't go around banning food items based on that. We will have nothing left to eat by that method. For example lactose intolerance is far more common than glutamate problems. Shall we ban milk now?

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
1. As I said, all proteins have glutamic acid . and they all cause glutamates absorption form intestine. Does it mean we should ban all proteinaceous foods?

2. Don't read too much on these half baked articles. And all people have some problem or other. We can't go around banning food items based on that. We will have nothing left to eat by that method. For example lactose intolerance is far more common than glutamate problems. Shall we ban milk now?
OK OK .... I will still avoid maggie and MSG. Used to anyway...btw that article is from Nature...don't trust presstitutes.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Strange complaint, it's like eating plain bread/rice and saying "this is bland".

My fav way of eating Koozh->Ghee,Jaggery/Sugar :). Or sometimes during summer, just mix it in with buttermilk. It's a base with flavour that you can eat with something else.
i checked it up just now. he complained about the tastelessness of ragi balls (which he had begun regarding as 'cannon balls') as he had no accompaniment with them to eat in remote areas ("if only it had a little sugar with it, or even salt"). lol.

BTW i don't like the presence of ragi in my rotis but would very much like to eat it in some other separate form/recipe; you and Ancient Indian provided some nice ideas from where i can look upon more. thanks!

pmaitra

Amount does matter. However, doesn't concentration matter also? Glutamic acid is an acid. That means, it releases H^{-} ions. So, the concentration will have an impact on the ionic dissociation, and thus, the ill effects. Correct me if I am wrong.

Rashna

Country flag
Some entertaining news related to the Maggi fracas.....

CBFC chairperson Pahlaj Nihalani has refused to cut 'Maggi' out of a song in a Sindhi friend's film, reports Mumbai Mirror. 'Banega chand ka chewing gum, chalo fugge udaate hain... Laga ke dal main tadka, chalo Maggi banate hain,' are the lines from a song hummed by four teenagers in the upcoming film, Uvaa. Directed by Jasbir B Bhatti, the film features Jimmy Sheirgill as a cop, and wrestler and Bigg Boss finalist Sangram Singh as a sports teacher. The film follows the four youths who go off the grid after they become embroiled in a gang rape, the report stated. However, the catchy song became a cause of worry for the makers when the popular two-minute noodle snack was banned in several states across India for containing higher than permissible amounts of lead. In the midst of the controversy, chairperson of the Central Board of Film Certification, Pahlaj Nihalani, who was the chief guest at the film's music launch, was seen tapping his foot to the Maggi number. When quizzed on the subject, he told Mirror curtly, "It's no big deal. Maggi could be the name of a girl or of any other product. There can be many kinds of Maggi. The Maggi ban has made news only recently. Just because I have ordered some cuts in the past, it doesn't mean that I will cut everything out of a film. It is not my job to edit Maggi from the song. The film could have had some kind of marketing tie-up with the company, who am I to interfere?"

While the brand name wasn't edited out from the song, read further to know why the chairperson was against the use of Salman Khan's name in the film P Se PM Tak..

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Amount does matter. However, doesn't concentration matter also? Glutamic acid is an acid. That means, it releases H^{-} ions. So, the concentration will have an impact on the ionic dissociation, and thus, the ill effects. Correct me if I am wrong.
its a very weak acid. Its weaker than the HCL produced by the stomach by miles. So the concentration is not going to affect much, wrt ph in any big way to be of concern. So no.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles