The Glorious Army of Hind: The Indian Army in Pictures

rkhanna

Country flag
RR and Assam Rifles have been doing CI operations for roughly 30-40 years with above average success but supposedly they need advice from armchair generals on their training capabilities. This is like a pilot giving advice to a surgeon on which artery to cut.
Have you ever studied the high body count we suffer on an annual basis? Do you think our training that currently is resulting in successes against lowlevel insurgents will suffice if we have a full blown border war with China or we actually have to go an liberate POK?

PS - calling someone an armchair general to refute a logic stream without offering any counter points of your own is a fallacy of argument and as such a waste of bandwidth.

PPS - What i have said above is easily echoed by ACTUAL Generals who now sit in arm chairs and enjoy their retirement. Things like CIJWS, HAWS, Parvat Ghatak were set up in the 80s and 90s with tech and tactics from that era. Evolution as been slow because by an large our OPFOR (Assam, Kashmir) are mid/low tech guerrilla insurgents.

By and large we are a 20th century military and the world is passing us by.

IndiaRising

Country flag
Have you ever studied the high body count we suffer on an annual basis? Do you think our training that currently is resulting in successes against lowlevel insurgents will suffice if we have a full blown border war with China or we actually have to go an liberate POK?

PS - calling someone an armchair general to refute a logic stream without offering any counter points of your own is a fallacy of argument and as such a waste of bandwidth.

PPS - What i have said above is easily echoed by ACTUAL Generals who now sit in arm chairs and enjoy their retirement. Things like CIJWS, HAWS, Parvat Ghatak were set up in the 80s and 90s with tech and tactics from that era. Evolution as been slow because by an large our OPFOR (Assam, Kashmir) are mid/low tech guerrilla insurgents.

High body count on an annual basis? If our body count is high, I shudder to think what you would make of NATO’s count in afghanistan and Iraq who have been actually involved in a war for last 20 years. Despite having “inferior” gear and training, IA has managed to take on Jihadis better than CoD Task Force.

Our soldiers operate in a completely hostile environment running CT/CI operations on a daily basis, until August 5 of last year when the terrorists on the ground were finally starved of their political protection. There is no other country in the world that has accumulated as much experience in this field, except for maybe the Sri Lankans and the Mexicans over the past 3 decades. That’s the reason JK has not fallen into the hands of Rawalpindi marauders and Assam, Manipur, Nagaland have not become Chinese territories. Results speaks for themselves.

PS- regurgitating the same old nonsense that has no bearing with reality only makes you look foolish. Let’s not talk about who is wasting bandwidth here.

PPS- I hope you tell those same generals that the status quo is still the same. In fact, it’s changed to india’s favor recently as Pakis have not been able to conjure up any military response to annexation of JK.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag

You can never argue and win with a blind supporter who has no logic and knowledge.

Such people wont accept that the Army makes mistakes, surrenders, gets killed and learns.

To hide their own inferiority complex they defend the undefendable by calling names and running away when someone gives it back.

I would be surprised those who call others armchair general would have even met a soldier let alone interacted with them.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS

Ex #Sampriti IX #IndianArmy & #BangladeshArmy contingents continue to train together on facets of #Jungle Survival, House Clearing & Room Intervention drills. Sharing best practice & experiences for operating in #CounterTerror environment. #Cooperation #Synergy
What is that Badge on our soldier on the last Fourth Picture. The first Soldier standing on the Left of the Picture and on his Right Chest. Is that some kind of Jungle Warfare or Counter Insurgency Training Badge?

IndiaRising

Country flag
You can never argue and win with a blind supporter who has no logic and knowledge.

Such people wont accept that the Army makes mistakes, surrenders, gets killed and learns.

To hide their own inferiority complex they defend the undefendable by calling names and running away when someone gives it back.

I would be surprised those who call others armchair general would have even met a soldier let alone interacted with them.
Who’s running away? I’m right here. It’s you taking potshots at others indirectly while commenting on another’s post. Let’s not talk about who has the inferiority complex when faced with unpalatable facts.

Neither you or khanna can answer why NATO, despite having superior equipment and training, has faced far more casualties than inferior Indian Army, despite combating similar enemies in A CT/CI environment.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Who’s running away? I’m right here. It’s you taking potshots at others indirectly while commenting on another’s post. Let’s not talk about who has the inferiority complex when faced with unpalatable facts.

Neither you or khanna can answer why NATO, despite having superior equipment and training, has faced far more casualties than inferior Indian Army, despite combating similar enemies in A CT/CI environment.
Because of a superior enemy.Do u have any idea about anything?

What is the size of enemy forces attacking in Afghanistan and what is the size in kashmir?

The use of ied, rpg etc.. i expect you to know nothing.. coz u have zero knowledge about military and you are just a troll who blindly supports things.

IndiaRising

Country flag
Because of a superior enemy.Do u have any idea about anything?

What is the size of enemy forces attacking in Afghanistan and what is the size in kashmir?

The use of ied, rpg etc.. i expect you to know nothing.. coz u have zero knowledge about military and you are just a troll who blindly supports things.
Afghan jihadis are superior to JeM, LeT being equipped and trained by a professional army? Are you really this dense? Do you have any clue about the Kashmir insurgency starting from the beginning in the 90s? I dont expect you to know since you clearly have your head in the sand.

NATO is supposed to have superior training to tackle the Jihadis in Afghanistan far more easily with less amount of casualty but now you are saying size is an impediment to that progress and that's why the far higher number of casualties. This is quite comical.

Eh do you think JeM, LeT do not have access to building IeDs and buying RPGs from the Taliban and Paki army? Yet, they are far less effective in using them in Kashmir against IA. Again, these are some wonderful contradictions that you seem to be coming up with all the time to defend your CoD Task Force.

you just cant get yourself to admit that IA, despite having less resources and so-called inferior training, does a better job of containing an insurgency, compared to your Greek Gods, who are now bargaining for a withdrawal with the Taliban. When you lose the gora inferiority complex, come have a discussion.

Last edited:

rkhanna

Country flag
High body count on an annual basis? If our body count is high, I shudder to think what you would make of NATO’s count in afghanistan and Iraq who have been actually involved in a war for last 20 years. Despite having “inferior” gear and training, IA has managed to take on Jihadis better than CoD Task Force.
My bad i dont think you understand what i meant

Any metric that is used as a comparative has to be measured on an X and Y axis. So body count in absolute number tells us nothing. Body count can be measured in terms of Body Count per hr operational (outside the wire), Body Count per Encounter, Body Count per OpFor Killed, Body Count per engagement per number of Onfor and Opfor ........

We loose out to American and UK Numbers visavis any reasonable metric when we send soldiers outside their bases (kashmir, NE, etc etc)

The Indian Army nowhere faces the sophistication of infantry tactics and weaponary that the Americans face in Iraq or Afghanistan and keep in Mind that the Americans are far from home. Not to mention that the Americans are also actively deployed in Asia, Africa and South and Central America -

- America/Nato with their AirPower and tech are miles ahead of us - i was not going to use them as a comparison but since you brought it up you should do some ACTUAL research - Read Outlaw Platoon, My Share of the Task and Relentless Strike to give you a better understanding how conventional us military, SOCOM and JSOC actually have fought for the last 20 years.

Ofcourse the Indian Army will achieve mission objective with whatever gear and training they have., they have been doing it since WWI. But that is neither here nor there. We loose countless soldiers due to bad training, poor kit, poor infra, poor combat medic support and systems - ITS A FACT. (remmeber kargil) - Bravery is what men use when they dont have tools. In India Life is cheap and as long as we have more bodies to throw at the fire than the enemy we will win.

Again i would suggest you go talk to a retired army officer.

Our soldiers operate in a completely hostile environment running CT/CI operations on a daily basis, until August 5 of last year when the terrorists on the ground were finally starved of their political protection. There is no other country in the world that has accumulated as much experience in this field, except for maybe the Sri Lankans and the Mexicans over the past 3 decades. That’s the reason JK has not fallen into the hands of Rawalpindi marauders and Assam, Manipur, Nagaland have not become Chinese territories. Results speaks for themselves.
today half the planet is runing daily COIN operations - India, Pakistan, America, Nato, French, Turks, Syrians, Saudis, Russians, Malaysians, philipinos, Kenyans, Nigerians etc etc etc - So? You think those arnt hostile envoirment. We have been doing it for 4 decades. Now our experience and capability which should have been built on has been lapped by most of the world. We still keep going on about things like its the 90s. RR was a great idea at the time. What evolution has taken place since?

there are enough countries with experience now. And in India we have a poor habit of not building institutional experience down the line with JCOs/NCOs

JK/NE has not fallen into anybody's hands because Pakistan/China doesnt have the capability to take it. Just like we dont have the capability to take Aksai Chin or POK or Tibet. But thats semantics.

Results without context is a fools erand.

PS- regurgitating the same old nonsense that has no bearing with reality only makes you look foolish. Let’s not talk about who is wasting bandwidth here.

PPS- I hope you tell those same generals that the status quo is still the same. In fact, it’s changed to india’s favor recently as Pakis have not been able to conjure up any military response to annexation of JK.
If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck usually its a duck. and if old retired duck masters also recognize the duck then thats the way the wind blows.

Like i said - whatever you are talking about is devoid of reality and logic and full of sentiment. You want to pander to the gallery and blindly go Jai Hind - thats on you man. but as a person you will not learn nor evolve.

Also do you believe that WE annexed J&K or Pakistan Annexed POK?

Overall your level of understanding of military affairs and geopolitics seems limited and binary. Pakistan takes its shot on j&K constantly and its twarthed constantly. What has that got to do with the fact that are training levels and capabilities are falling behind. We have over half a million men at arms between the LOC / IB and State (Army, CAPFs, Police, etc etc) - you think Pakistan or China has the capability to move against that? But what will happen is that more men will continue to die with they shouldnt.

Afghan jihadis are superior to JeM, LeT being equipped and trained by a professional army? Are you really this dense? Do you have any clue about the Kashmir insurgency starting from the beginning in the 90s? I dont expect you to know since you clearly have your head in the sand.

NATO is supposed to have superior training to tackle the Jihadis in Afghanistan far more easily with less amount of casualty but now you are saying size is an impediment to that progress and that's why the far higher number of casualties. This is quite comical.

Eh do you think JeM, LeT do not have access to building IeDs and buying RPGs from the Taliban and Paki army? Yet, they are far less effective in using them in Kashmir against IA. Again, these are some wonderful contradictions that you seem to be coming up with all the time to defend your CoD Task Force.

you just cant get yourself to admit that IA, despite having less resources and so-called inferior training, does a better job of containing an insurgency, compared to your Greek Gods, who are now bargaining for a withdrawal with the Taliban. When you lose the gora inferiority complex, come have a discussion.
Unfortunately i dont have the patience or time to refute the rubbish above. But know its Rubbish. Your knowledge of the OPFOR in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kashmir seems extremely limited.

You are comparing the strategic components of the Afghan and Iraq War with Kashmir Conflict without factoring Geopolitics, Regional Politics and Political Will power in engaging in the conflicts. Its apples and oranges and frankly juvenile.

What we ARE comparing are basic infantry tactics - where we are lacking behind. without a shadow of a doubt. (and there are a myriad of reasons for that)

Lastly what the hell is a CoD Task Force.

Chinmoy

Country flag

youtu.be/Re8rND1u9uI
Watched the whole episode on Patriot. The good thing of the episode was that it has shown some good theoretical aspect on CIJW training. But then again, when it came to combat capability, you could see that it was more of an staged show rather then showing the actual aspect of an operation.

In these kinds of programs, first a script is made and then submitted for approval to concerned CO. CO then makes essential changes in the script like what could be shown and what not and who would be responsible for what part of the script. Then the same script and recommendations are forwarded to DGMO who gives the final clearance for the shoot. It means that a single episode which is aired is been essentially doctored by highest echelon of power. So they show only the rough copy, not the finest picture.

Coming to joint exercise, these are done for a specific purpose. Like say Jungle warfare tactics. In such a scenario, the objective is about jungle survival and carrying out a guerilla warfare in jungle. So a training to the visiting party is imparted on that aspect. Not on the fact about what weapon to be used or how would we carry it out in real life. Similar example could be found in the joint exercise of IAF and USAF. MKIs of IAF would never engage the enemy with its BARS and would always keep it switched off. These exercise are all about interoperability of two countries if any such situation would occur in future.

So the point is, photo ops like these are more of a showpiece rather then the actual happenings for which we are trained.

rkhanna

Country flag
Not on the fact about what weapon to be used or how would we carry it out in real life.
So the point is, photo ops like these are more of a showpiece rather then the actual happenings for which we are trained.
Sorry but no. You cant compare a picture of Soldiers with MKI not using BARS.

How a Soldier handles his gun is second nature to him. if he has learnt wrong he will pose wrong. simple. I understand its a photo op. but that is ZERO excuse

Hell if a soldier is given a broom stick he is expected to handle it correctly.

If the Army is going to do dog and pony shows and the content released is not representative of military tactics, procedure and ethos then we might as well get Ronnie Screwala to make more URIs and pass them off as Army Movies

Chinmoy

Country flag
Sorry but no. You cant compare a picture of Soldiers with MKI not using BARS.

How a Soldier handles his gun is second nature to him. if he has learnt wrong he will pose wrong. simple. I understand its a photo op. but that is ZERO excuse

Hell if a soldier is given a broom stick he is expected to handle it correctly.

If the Army is going to do dog and pony shows and the content released is not representative of military tactics, procedure and ethos then we might as well get Ronnie Screwala to make more URIs and pass them off as Army Movies
No it is not............. In a joint exercise, its more about feeling up the attendance register then activity note sheet. To start with show me one picture from real life room intervention where soldiers carry it out with INSAS. But have a look at the JE pics, all would be standing there with the INSAS and doing the drill in it.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
No it is not............. In a joint exercise, its more about feeling up the attendance register then activity note sheet. To start with show me one picture from real life room intervention where soldiers carry it out with INSAS. But have a look at the JE pics, all would be standing there with the INSAS and doing the drill in it.

Live operation pic..check the sling position.

But why..and how ever many pics i post you wont agree.

So i rest my case...i would rather debate with someone who is neutral to a cause.

IndiaRising

Country flag
Unfortunately i dont have the patience or time to refute the rubbish above. But know its Rubbish. Your knowledge of the OPFOR in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kashmir seems extremely limited.
You have proclaimed it to be rubbish so it becomes rubbish. Please do tell which NDA course you passed from which gives you the supposed credibility to make such conclusions. Like you, even I don’t have the patience or time to respond to such drivel, but know this, IA has always adapted itself, if required, to meet India’s strategic interests and delivered consistently whenever nation has required them to. You can keep putting whatever context that suits your line of argument, but results speak for themselves. Unlike the so-called NATO 21st century army, they don’t exist as mercenaries for hire that require the propaganda of a Military Industrial complex to embellish their victories and make excuses for their failures. When you have to seek a withdrawal deal with Taliban after 20 years of fighting and losing countless soldiers, it’s a failure. When you spend close to a trillion dollars and achieve no strategic goals, it’s a failure, yet this is the gold standard that Indian army has to look upto because they have advanced gadgets and “superior” training.

rkhanna

Country flag
You have proclaimed it to be rubbish so it becomes rubbish. Please do tell which NDA course you passed from which gives you the supposed credibility to make such conclusions. Like you, even I don’t have the patience or time to respond to such drivel, but know this, IA has always adapted itself, if required, to meet India’s strategic interests and delivered consistently whenever nation has required them to. You can keep putting whatever context that suits your line of argument, but results speak for themselves. Unlike the so-called NATO 21st century army, they don’t exist as mercenaries for hire that require the propaganda of a Military Industrial complex to embellish their victories and make excuses for their failures. When you have to seek a withdrawal deal with Taliban after 20 years of fighting and losing countless soldiers, it’s a failure. When you spend close to a trillion dollars and achieve no strategic goals, it’s a failure, yet this is the gold standard that Indian army has to look upto because they have advanced gadgets and “superior” training.
I hope you know that using "Authority" to further your argument is a fallacy of logic. I have not attended NDA. But over 30 members of my extended family have served in the Indian Armed Forces post independence. Does that help?

the IA has adapted because it has to prosecute the mission at all costs. The Costs are HIGH. you seem to be afraid of admitting that. why? I can drive to pune from bombay on the Bombay Pune Expressway or the Old Highway. One is a POS one saves time and does less damage to my car. Both take me to Pune.

Again Results without context is an excercise in futility.

The rest of what you are saying is argumentative drivel. Its neither here nor there and has NOTHING to do with the fact that our Soldiers have been photographed with their eyes on a scope while entering a room.

PS - We too left Sri Lanka with our tail between our legs. But for the most part we WON every engagement in Sri Lanka. Same with the Americans in Vietnam and Same with Nato in Afghanistan and Iraq. The Political Will to prosecute a mission, a military's ability to to so CAN be at odds with each other. You are just gaslighting here now for the sake of it and you KNOW it.

AGAIN - for your understanding. STRATEGY and TACTICS are two different things.

the Bulk of Rank and File of the Indian Army not deployed on the IB or in J&K or involved in COIN is issued INSAS. These battalions down to a platoon and squad level regularly practice CQB with INSAS. I have seen it many a time when i have visited regimental center functions of my relatives.

If the Army was to roll across the border tomrrow and take Paki Towns to prepare a "beach head" then those towns will have to be cleared building by building - INSAS will the weapon they hold. These will be replaced by the AK203 / SIG 716 - there is nothing wrong with room clearing with a battle Rifle. the entirety of the first quarter of the Iraqi war was fought by Marins with the M16A2s doing just that.

Tactics make them more or less efficient not the tool.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles