The forbidden public toilets of Beijing

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
You are correct literacy rates in india is 74%. He is incorrect, but my point is, more literates ought to know where to go when nature calls.
Those who take a dump in drains or railway tracks don't do it because they don't know about the existence of toilets. The problem is that they don't have access to modern toilet facilities. For example, in India we have huge numbers of migrant workers who work on construction projects in big cities. During the period of building construction, they build makeshift dwellings and tents close to the construction site - temporary shelters basically. And in the morning, they take a dump next to the nearest railway track. Unfortunate.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I believe Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, KG, KT, OM, GBE, AC, QSO, PC, AdC(P) coined the phrase - Blue Arsed Fly!

He is well known for his memorable comments and knack of saying the wrong thing.
So perhaps it is only fitting that the Duke of Edinburgh now has one of his own phrases immortalised in the Oxford English Dictionary.
The latest edition is expected to say that Prince Philip introduced the term 'blue-arsed fly', after he was recorded publicly scolding a photographer in 1970.

Read more: Prince Philip created 'busier than a blue-arsed fly!' phrase | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

nimo_cn

Country flag
What a gas! :pound:

Proof that the 50 Cent politburo met and agreed to the diktat of Nimo, the CPC appointed 50 cent Head! ;) :rofl:

Truth cannot be hidden for long! ;)
Why do you keep calling me 50 cent? Does that justify your duplicity as i pointed out in my earlier posts.

Have you been to China?
Does one have to be in India to understand India?

Two simple questions, but you dares answer neither. Instead, you wasted time proving me to be paid by CPC.

Oh, yes, technically speaking, i am paid by CPC because i work for China Mobile which happens to be a state owned Chinese company.

But what does that have to do with my questions? Why are you running in circles and dodging my questions.

This is so not normally articulate Ray.

Sent from my T8830 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You are correct literacy rates in india is 74%. He is incorrect, but my point is, more literates ought to know where to go when nature calls.
You really think that literacy is a conditioned reflex to public hygiene?

In China spitting isn't just acceptable outside, it is pretty much acceptable on any floor. I've seen it in the classroom, in restaurants, in malls, even in the hospital.

This tradition of spitting (really, they call it a tradition), comes out of Traditional Chinese Medicine. The idea being that phlegm is a manifestation of the illness inside you, so it must come out.

This may have wonderful curative effects for the spitter, but as the spittee it seems like a part of the reason that TB is a common disease here, and that diseases like SARS spread faster than the plague.

As an anthropology major I have tried to be open and understanding of this part of Chinese culture, but I have little patience left for it at this point.
You could read more of this at:
Can “Culture” be a Problem? | Seeing Red in China

You will notice many interesting aspects including an educate (literate, if you will) lady claiming that children's urine is clean and so they can urinate wherever they want!

Take Mao Tse Tung, the Great Helmsman.

He was literate.

He began work on his father's farm, but continued to read voraciously in his spare time.

One of the most influential texts that he read was Cheng Kuan-ying's Sheng-shih Wei-yen (Words of Warning to an Affluent Age), a political tract that lamented the deterioration of Chinese power in East Asia, arguing for technological, economic and political reform, modelling China on the representative democracies of the western world. Mao would later claim that he first developed a "political consciousness" from that booklet.

Another influential book which he read at the time was a translation of Great Heroes of the World, becoming inspired by the American revolutionary George Washington and French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte, whose military prowess and nationalistic fervour greatly impressed him.

Mao Zedong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yet...................

Mao reportedly never bathed, preferring instead to be rubbed down with a hot towel.

On Mao, Snow wrote, "Some people might have considered him coarse and vulgar" He then described how Mao liked to scratch himself and conduct meeting naked when it was hot. He also said Mao occasionally "absent-mindedly turned down the belt in his trousers and searched for some guest"—namely fleas and lice.

In 1972 Mao attended the funeral Marshal Chen Yo in his pajamas. In 1954 he met the British Prime Minister Clement Attlee in pair of trousers that had their backside patched up. According to a biography by historian Chen Jin when Mao was asked why didn't wear a different pair of pants he replied, "It doesn't matter. Who will look at my bottom?" Mao had a spittoon at his feet when he met Nixon.

Mao was addicted to sleeping pills, and he rarely bathed or brushed his teeth (he rinsed his mouth with tea after he woke up and chewed on the leaves). "He resisted all attempts to get him to see a dentist," Li wrote. "One aide said 'the chairman's teeth looked as if they were painted with green paint'...Mao's teeth were indeed covered with a heavy greenish film. When I touched the gums, puss oozed out. An infection of that sort usually causes considerable pain. Mao hated doctors and illness so much that he often endured pain in silence." [Source: "The Private Life of Chairman Mao" by Dr. Li Zhisui, excerpts reprinted U.S. News and World Report, October 10, 1994]

Li treated Mao for insomnia, dizziness, itchiness, and occasionally anxiety attacks. Wherever he went he had an aide next to him in case he lost his balance. Sometimes he would stay in bed for months, rising only to make an occasional speech. [Source: "The Private Life of Chairman Mao" by Dr. Li Zhisui, excerpts reprinted U.S. News and World Report, October 10, 1994]

MAO'S PRIVATE LIFE - China | Facts and Details

Therefore, I would find it difficult to subscribe to the idea that literacy equates with civic sense (in the western manner of speaking).

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why do you keep calling me 50 cent? Does that justify your duplicity as i pointed out in my earlier posts.

Have you been to China?
Does one have to be in India to understand India?

Two simple questions, but you dares answer neither. Instead, you wasted time proving me to be paid by CPC.

Oh, yes, technically speaking, i am paid by CPC because i work for China Mobile which happens to be a state owned Chinese company.

But what does that have to do with my questions? Why are you running in circles and dodging my questions.

This is so not normally articulate Ray.

Sent from my T8830 using Tapatalk 2
I have answered the issues that you raised. You prefer not to understand.

It is your choice.

Have I been to China?

Supposing I say that it could be so.

How would that make any difference?

Visiting a place and getting a superficial view is what most experience. It is called a 'Been There, Done That' syndrome.

I have visited many countries. It is not to be dazzled by the superficial that excited me on these visits. It is to understand the country and the people that was my prime interest.

I prefer to nourish my mind than feat by eyes with the dazzling and superficial!

For instance, I find a childish excitement being generated by China's High Speed Train. Indeed, it is a novelty, but it does not allow one to see the country or the people. A slow train labouring through allows one to see the country, the people and understand the same.

The same experience should also be for citizens of the country, if one is to see the real progress made by the country and also the inequalities and where emphasis has to be laid to make the country really great in all respects.

Last edited:

winton

Have I been to China?

Supposing I say that it could be so.

How would that make any difference?
I don't think it makes much of a difference. Its your argument that will be judged on its merits. same goes for everybody else.

I prefer to nourish my mind than feat by eyes with the dazzling and superficial!
what about the senses such as smell?

For instance, I find a childish excitement being generated by China's High Speed Train. Indeed, it is a novelty, but it does not allow one to see the country or the people. A slow train labouring through allows one to see the country, the people and understand the same.
Its a rather high tech novelty. I would imagine it being a little bit impractical for india as you cannot fit many people on top of carriages that go 200+kmh

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
what about the senses such as smell?
Such as that emanates from exotic Chinese food?

Its a rather high tech novelty. I would imagine it being a little bit impractical for india as you cannot fit many people on top of carriages that go 200+kmh
Indeed, little boys love novelty toys!

But then they are little boys and totally juvenile!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles