The Book Recommendation Thread

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Thank you Ewald sir for not suggesting the twilight and similar books ! Man I m looking for some good books.
The Day of the Jackal, a gripping thriller by Frederick Forsyth. The story starts with an assassination attempt on the French President (which really happened). The novel is extremely detailed in describing the methodologies used by the assassin and the French police and security services. Highly recommended.

While you are at it also check out The Fist of God, again by Forsyth, which follows the undercover missions of an SAS Major during the Gulf War. Again highly recommended.
Another Forsyth novel I read was The Afghan, not as good as the above two novels but still I m a fan of Forsyth. :)

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
The Day of the Jackal, a gripping thriller by Frederick Forsyth. The story starts with an assassination attempt on the French President (which really happened). The novel is extremely detailed in describing the methodologies used by the assassin and the French police and security services. Highly recommended.

While you are at it also check out The Fist of God, again by Forsyth, which follows the undercover missions of an SAS Major during the Gulf War. Again highly recommended.
Another Forsyth novel I read was The Afghan, not as good as the above two novels but still I m a fan of Forsyth. :)

Nice! Is Forsyth the same guy who wrote about Indira Gandhi assassination as well?

Sabir

DFI TEAM
this is one of my all time favorites

THE DA VINCI CODE( THRILLER)

The Da Vinci Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are 4-5 thrillers by Dan Brown....you start reading them ay order....you will like the first one a lot....next o little less...after that it will become boring..........

All of them has same pattern....a mystry hidden somewhere which can be solved only by the Hero.....Intelligence agency........a superhuman murderer.............And the person whom you have not doubted will be the bad guy.

TrueSpirit

Same here. Have a good collection of his books.

IBSA

Country flag
I'm reading The Diplomacy, by Henry Kissinger

TrueSpirit

@SPIEZ: If you are into mythology, you can go for:

Thundergod: The Ascendance of Indra
The Aryavarta Chronicles: Govinda
Chanakya's Chant

If you are into history, you can go for:

1857 : REAL STORY OF THE GREAT Uprising: VIshnu Bhatt
Volga Se Ganga - Rahul Sankrityayan

Divodas

For pop fiction, 4-5 hours quick read. go for:

She Broke Up, I Didn't!
A Dilli-Mumbai Love Story -
Ohh Yes, I Am Single..
You Were My Crush!:
Now That You're Rich
That Thing Called Love
Horn OK Please - HOPping To Conclusions
The (In) Eligible Bachelors

Start with the BOLDed ones, which are quite refreshing.

==========================================================================

Books I read this year:

Thundergod: The Ascendance of Indra
The Aryavarta Chronicles: Govinda
The Oath of the Vayuputras: Shiva
1857 : REAL STORY OF THE GREAT Uprising: VIshnu Bhatt
The Rozabal Line - Ashwin Sanghi
Afeem Sagar - Sea Of Poppies - A
Premchand Ki Jabdshuda Kahaniya
Divodas - Rahul Sankrityayan
Wilson Bridge And Other Stories
She Broke Up, I Didn't!
A Dilli-Mumbai Love Story - Abhi
Ohh Yes, I Am Single..
You Were My Crush!:
Now That You're Rich
That Thing Called Love -
Life Is What You Make It -
Vidwan Pandit (662)
Hitopadesha
Nirale Hire Ki Khoz - Rahul Sank
The Secret
Johnny Gone Down - Karan Bajaj
The Argumentative Indian: Writin
Of Course I Love You !
Volga Se Ganga - Rahul Sankrityayan
Horn OK Please - HOPping To Conc
Chanakya's Chant - Ashwin Sanghi
The (In) Eligible Bachelors
Stay Hungry Stay Foolish
Connect The Dots
The Immortals Of Meluha
The Secret Of The Nagas

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueSpirit

If one wants to enjoy geo-political conversation & modern history (loaded with real statistics and analysis), there are hardly any contemporary substitutes for Niall Ferguson, one of fav. authors.

Grab any of the following, I have loved these & am sure, most people would:

Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World

Civilization: The West and the Rest

The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World

Empire: The Rise and Demise of the British World Order and the Lessons for Global Power

Colossus: The Rise And Fall Of The American Empire

SPIEZ

Country flag
There are 4-5 thrillers by Dan Brown....you start reading them ay order....you will like the first one a lot....next o little less...after that it will become boring..........

All of them has same pattern....a mystry hidden somewhere which can be solved only by the Hero.....Intelligence agency........a superhuman murderer.............And the person whom you have not doubted will be the bad guy.
Sadly, what you said is Very true

sob

Mod
Country flag
I would recommend Empire of the Moghul by Alex Rutherford.

She has written 5 Books in this series so far starting from Baur to Shah Jahan. She has been publishing a book a year from 2009.

Very engrossing books, written in fictional style but sticking to history. A must read

Alex Rutherford

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I would recommend Empire of the Moghul by Alex Rutherford.

She has written 5 Books in this series so far starting from Baur to Shah Jahan. She has been publishing a book a year from 2009.

Very engrossing books, written in fictional style but sticking to history. A must read

Alex Rutherford

Have the red one..only read a couple of pages.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Master of Rome by Coleen McCullough

This is a seven part series on Rome starting from Gaius Marius to Ceaser. A very fascinating read on a very exciting period of roman History.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Fictional Series on Genghis Khan by Conn Iggulden.

Conn Iggulden

A fascinating insight on the Mongol people and the tribes of the time and the extraordinary man that was Genghis and the subsequent war of successionamongs his sons.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Just finished reading part one of Satish Chandra's Medieval India: From Sultanat to the Mughals. A great work for those interested in Medieval India, and the Delhi Sultanat in particular. Includes some great information not only on the political and military history of the period, but also social and economic life, religious and cultural life, and the organization and administration of the State.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles