The Art of War and The Art of Love

Iamanidiot

So whenever one thinks of Indian literature be thankful to the jain scholars for saving it and propagating it

trackwhack

How can you generalise two civilizations (that too, the two largest and most ancient civilizations) based on just two pieces of literature? Especially when there are numerous other pieces of literature that have had far more impact? The Kamasutra and the Art of War may be popular in the West, but that doesn't mean they are representative of either Indian or Chinese civilization.

The Confucian Analects provide a much better understanding of Chinese civilization than the Art of War or any of the Seven Military Classics.
Not generalizing anything man, just thought it was interesting that the most popular manuscripts from these two civilizations were polar opposites. I know better than to generalize two civilizations that are 5 to 50 millenia old :)

Tianshan

I don't want to start a poll because it is meaningless, instead anyone who has an opinion on how they feel the India - China mystery will unravel itself and why, please indulge yourselves ... I would especially be interested in knowing the views of the Chinese posters
you want our opinions?

i feel that china and india are strategic rivals, and will most likely continue to be so.

the optimisitic thing is that we may be able to avoid having a direct fight.

2. chinese cant fight for shit
well then surely there is nothing to be worried about.

Tianshan

The Confucian Analects provide a much better understanding of Chinese civilization than the Art of War or any of the Seven Military Classics.
ah... someone who knows about chinese literature. very good.

amoy

"the Book of Odes" (Shi Jing in Chinese) also about the art of love in part, a collection of poems (1100-600 BC)

Said to be refined by Confucius (Kong Zi ) and his diciples

Classic of Poetry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Over half of the poems are said to have originally been popular songs. They concern basic human problems such as love, marriage, work, and war. Others include court poems, and legendary accounts praising the founders of the Zhou Dynasty. Included are also hymns used in sacrificial rites,[3] and songs used by the aristocracy in their sacrificial ceremonies or at banquets.[4]

Iamanidiot

chinese dynastic histiograhies 23-26 in total give much better insight into Chinese court life than anyother stuff.Absolutely brilliant rvff

ice berg

Not generalizing anything man, just thought it was interesting that the most popular manuscripts from these two civilizations were polar opposites. I know better than to generalize two civilizations that are 5 to 50 millenia old :)
By popular you mean in the West, right? Consider Art of war has never been mainstream literature in China. The fact that the book is more popular outside China says more about the lack of knowledge about China than how the chinese culture is.

trackwhack

By popular you mean in the West, right? Consider Art of war has never been mainstream literature in China. The fact that the book is more popular outside China says more about the lack of knowledge about China than how the chinese culture is.
By popular, I may have meant outside of the respective countries. However,to your point Mao himself has quoted from the art of war on many occasions. Did they not make you memorize his speeches in you military camp, I mean school? :)

ice berg

By popular, I may have meant outside of the respective countries. However,to your point Mao himself has quoted from the art of war on many occasions. Did they not make you memorize his speeches in you military camp, I mean school? :)

For your information, Mao died in the 70s(almost 4 decades ago). Most people who grow up in the 80s has no knowledge of his speeches what so ever. You can take my words for it, for what ever it is worth. I am not bothering to answer the flamebait about the military camp. Anyway it is besides the topic.

How Art of war is popular outside China is hardly relevant of how it reflects mainstream chinese culture.

To my knowledge the book only reached the western mainstream audience in this decade. I am pretty sure there are other chinese books far more popular than this one.

Last edited:

trackwhack

For your information, Mao died in the 70s(almost 4 decades ago). Most people who grow up in the 80s has no knowledge of his speeches what so ever. You can take my words for it, for what ever it is worth. I am not bothering to answer the flamebait about the military camp. Anyway it is besides the topic.

How Art of war is popular outside China is hardly relevant of how it reflects mainstream chinese culture.

To my knowledge the book only reached the western mainstream audience in this decade. I am pretty sure there are other chinese books far more popular than this one.
Top 100 - Project Gutenberg

Look at number 4 and look at number 30.

I already said I am equating neither culture to these books. Just that these are the most popular works. Thats all.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Top 100 - Project Gutenberg

Look at number 4 and look at number 30.

I already said I am equating neither culture to these books. Just that these are the most popular works. Thats all.
The fact that the Kama Sutra ranks so high just shows that humans are a bunch of horny bastards (as if we didn't already know that :rolleyes:). Of course, it also shows how liberal ancient India was. In most parts of the world during that time open discussion of sex was strictly taboo, especially in the West. Ironically, open discussion of sex is now also a taboo in "modern" India.

As far as "popularity" goes, the epic Sanskrit literature in the form of the Ramayana and Mahabharata are far more popular than the Kama Sutra (among Indians at least, if not among foreign audiences). These works are also far more mainstream and have had far greater historical impact on Indian civilization.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles