Thai-Cambodian Dispute over Preah Vihar

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Far off from the US-Af-Pak tussle and mid east saga, there's another unrest brewing up - among two ASEAN countries and an icon of Indian culture lies beneath the dispute's pivot. An upcoming power that we are ... time for action?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plea for Indian Initiative to Resolve Thai-Cambodian Conflict over Preah Vihar

Excerpts:

....The temple of Preah Vihar, dedicated to Lord Siva, located in the Thai - Cambodia border, has once again got mired into bilateral dispute, unfortunately leading to armed skirmishes and even killing of innocent civilians. Bilateral talks between the two countries and even attempts made by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to broker peace have not succeeded. Preah Vihar is one of the most glorious illustrations of India's abiding cultural influences in Southeast Asia. What is more, New Delhi has excellent equations with both Bangkok and Phnom Penh. It is high time that the Ministry of External Affairs should take initiative and get the area declared as a non-militarized zone....

Regards,
Virendra

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
We should intervene and attempt a compromise, innocent casualties are unacceptable.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Agreed. What is intriguing here is that MEA has apparently been sleeping till now and who knows, would continue so.
Forgetting the rest, this is an occasion of spreading positive influence and projecting ourselves as a responsible soft power at least? In ASEAN atleast?
If we fail at that too, then all the "would be" and "potentially" kind of superpower talk is crap.

Regards,
Virendra

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Forgetting the rest, this is an occasion of spreading positive influence and projecting ourselves as a responsible soft power at least? In ASEAN atleast?
Exactly. Well put.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Agreed. What is intriguing here is that MEA has apparently been sleeping till now and who knows, would continue so.
If we fail at that too, then all the "would be" and "potentially" kind of superpower talk is crap.

Regards,
Virendra

Desi "Secularism" prevents you from indulging in such issues even though they may be an opportunity to build our rapport in the ASEAN, project our soft power and earn the image of an regional powerhouse.

BTW this photo is from the Swarnabhoomi airport, Bangkok. Anyone recognize it's significance ?

Such a shame we are not using our cultural links to improve our standing in South East Asia. :frusty:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Desi "Secularism" prevents you from indulging in such issues even though they may be an opportunity to build our rapport in the ASEAN, project our soft power and earn the image of an regional powerhouse.
Our secularism should promote it and the matter itself is desi in a way. Dispute is over a temple and a cultural heritage. The culture and the temple both find their origin in India. I don't see a reason how its not a matter where we should speak up. Of course we don't tell others what to do in their respective sovereign countries but we can at least bridge in the middle and encourage a peaceful resolution. Its a win win .. for all the three and there could be no better mediator than us in this issue.
This would be a small litmus test of Indian capability to resolve international security issues, before we charge up with our UNSC claims. The good thing is that not only we can carry the day and prove ourselves but also project ourselves as a much more peaceful and reasonable power in doing so, comparing to how current UNSC has managed various issues with force.
I know those are different matters and may be required use of force, but nevertheless this particular case will add to our reputation in a very different manner than to current UNSC.
Which of the so many developing countries want biggies to use force in mediation of their matters and mess up an already precarious situation? When India resolves it without use of force, it sets a good example.

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Our secularism should promote it and the matter itself is desi in a way. Dispute is over a temple and a cultural heritage. The culture and the temple both find their origin in India. I don't see a reason how its not a matter where we should speak up. Of course we don't tell others what to do in their respective sovereign countries but we can at least bridge in the middle and encourage a peaceful resolution. Its a win win .. for all the three and there could be no better mediator than us in this issue.
This would be a small litmus test of Indian capability to resolve international security issues, before we charge up with our UNSC claims. The good thing is that not only we can carry the day and prove ourselves but also project ourselves as a much more peaceful and reasonable power in doing so, comparing to how current UNSC has managed various issues with force.
I know those are different matters and may be required use of force, but nevertheless this particular case will add to our reputation in a very different manner than to current UNSC.
Which of the so many developing countries want biggies to use force in mediation of their matters and mess up an already precarious situation? When India resolves it without use of force, it sets a good example.

Regards,
Virendra
Virendra, I understand and empathize with your angst. But that angst will always remain an angst because , IMO, the Govt of this day will not care about that as its a Hindu religious icon and moreover - call me whatever you like - we plainly dont have the vision,gumption and leadership that a country needs to become a Superpower.

agentperry

getting indulged for maintaining status quo will make the aggressive state more anti India and on the other hand siding with either will make other one go anti India. its better just to force both nations to get on table and even arrange a meeting between both. this is the only way out without any collateral damage.

KS

Bye bye DFI
....Or better still make it a protected Hindu heritage site maintained by us with free permission to visitors from both nations.

My tax money is being spent on so many other useless purposes. I suppose I would not mind paying for that and it does our country's image a ton of good.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Such a shame we are not using our cultural links to improve our standing in South East Asia. :frusty:
That is what secularism does to you; it is a disease that weakens you, makes you forget your identity and wants you to always bleed more for someone else' aggression.

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Guys, one thing you all must know was mainstream Hinduism was there long before south Indian kings spread their rule in southeast Asia. We Buddhists sent monks to tech Buddhist philosophy of Dharma but mainstream Hinduism was there much before that. It is only that historians refuse to accept this fact because it would elevate the status of Hinduism and make it look like an existent force beyond borders of modern India.

I know this because many Buddhist pilgrims I met from southeast have themselves told me during a visit to Mahabodhi temple.

So this all "desi culture" is all nonsense. Dharma was never only India's right or property. before the advent of organized religions, it was spread in most of the world. We are not some Saudi Arbis having full custody of it because Dharmic paths are not like organized religions.

How do you explain Gautama Buddha's statues in Afghanistan, Agni temple in Azerbaijan, stone Vishnu statue found in the frozen Siberia dating 3000 years back etc etc?

So politically, it would be apt if mainstream Hindu bodies attempt to diffuse tensions rather than going in the conventional method of PM and Sonia G.

I will give you a tip; Southeast Asia is very proud of its Hindu/Buddhist image. They consider our version of secularism as a joke and something inferior. SO it would be foolish to actually think that this government could be much success in this conflict. I'd say some mainstream Hindu body needs to intervene.

The HAF or Hindu American Foundation is already involved in resolving this dispute. Tragedy is that US Hindus (both Indian origin and firangis) are actively participating in this diffusal of tensions while our "secular" country is sitting on the sidelines doing nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: KS

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

BTW this photo is from the Swarnabhoomi airport, Bangkok. Anyone recognize it's significance ?

This is very true, Atal Bihari went to Cambodia to Re-light the lamp in Shiv temple called Ankor-watt. He also started some cultural ties with this region, the Cuntgrass party came to power and we have mental cases and fuck witts ruleing this nation. Cunt-grass will not go unless some one destroys that shit party.

Its a colossal tragedy that Vajpyee ruled only one term, if had full power for 3 terms we would have caught up with Chinas father.

KS

Bye bye DFI
This is very true, Atal Bihari went to Cambodia to Re-light the lamp in Shiv temple called Ankor-watt. He also started some cultural ties with this region, the Cuntgrass party came to power and we have mental cases and fuck witts ruleing this nation. Cunt-grass will not go unless some one destroys that shit party.

Its a colossal tragedy that Vajpyee ruled only one term, if had full power for 3 terms we would have caught up with Chinas father.
:rofl:

Congress ---> Khangress ----> CONgress -----> Cuntgrass.. :pound:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Ohh what a vile thing secularism is. It has made everyone evil including china, pak and taliban. :laugh:

All of you are retards or have an agenda if you think us not interfering has anything to do with secularism. Why aren't we interfering in fuckng sudan then ? why did govt allow lankans to kill tamils ? were we appeasing buddhists in India ?

Quite simply the reason for not interfering is that GoI "doesn't give a shit" about anything.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles