Texas wants to secede?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
White House may respond to Texas secession petition

Looks like the Obama administration may have to respond to a petition seeking the green light for Texas to secede from the United States—one of 20 such requests filed on the official White House website since Election Day.
At the time of the writing of this post, the Texas secession petition had garnered 25,318 signatures—above the White House's self-imposed rules for requiring a reply.
Other secession petitions include requests for Arkansas, South Carolina, Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, Michigan, Colorado, Oregon, New Jersey, North Dakota, Montana, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama and New York. (Spoiler alert: No, the White House won't approve secession.)
:hmm:

Source: Yahoo News

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
What is the formal process for secession under the American constitution ?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
At the time of the writing of this post, the Texas secession petition had garnered 25,318 signatures—above the White House's self-imposed rules for requiring a reply.
Meaningless in terms of secession, the Constitution, and the law.
If the Union is truly indestructible, then states cannot secede even if the national government is willing to let them go. Can that be right? Are the states trapped in a permanent marriage that even an amicable divorce cannot end?

There is reason to think that the Supreme Court's "indestructible" formulation in Texas v. White was hyperbole. After all, Article IV makes clear that the states are not indestructible. Congress can, with the approval of the state in question, shatter a state into fragments. That is how Massachusetts divided into what we now call Maine and Massachusetts and also how Virginia became present-day Virginia and West Virginia (although in the latter case, the original Virginia did not approve of the division because most of the state was, at the time, part of the Confederacy).

So if the states are not really indestructible, as the Court in Texas v. White claimed, perhaps the Union isn't indestructible either.

And indeed, the Supreme Court in Texas v. White recognized that secession by mutual agreement stands on a different footing from unilateral secession. After finding against a state's right of unilateral secession, the Court acknowledged an exception for secession "through revolution, or through consent of the States."

Let us put aside the possibility of revolution, for a revolution is the repudiation of the existing legal regime. Presumably, any change at all could be authorized by a successful revolution--in the sense that after the revolution the legal rules that existed under the prior constitution have no further independent force. What about the reference to "consent of the States?"
FindLaw's Writ - Dorf: Does the Constitution Permit the Blue States to Secede?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
OT:

Whitehouse website is simply awesome in terms of functionality. :thumb:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
What is the formal process for secession under the American constitution ?
I don't know the answer to that, but I damn well know it's not by opening an account at whitehouse.gov and signing a petition.

(At the reloading bench.)

W.G.Ewald

Professional
OT:

Whitehouse website is simply awesome in terms of functionality. :thumb:
Maybe so, but I'm not opening an account to wonder in awe, and neither is any real Secessionist.

mikhail

Country flag
i don't know why people from many states in the U.S. want to secede from U.S.A. itself:shocked:!i mean they have got everything that anybody can dream of and still they want to secede from a Superpower like U.S.A.(p.s.:-i know that the U.S. Federal Govt. won't accept their seccession under any circumstances but still its strange to see a large population wnats to secede from the U.S.):confused:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
W.H. Petition Calls for Stripping Citizenship and Exile for Anyone Who Signs Petition to Secede | The Weekly Standard
"Mr. President, please sign an executive order such that each American citizen who signed a petition from any state to secede from the USA shall have their citizenship stripped and be peacefully deported," the full petition reads.
And where do you deport a citizen who has been stripped of citizenship?

Four years ago they told us Obama was to be the Ureat Uniter. :)

IBSA

Country flag
And where do you deport a citizen who has been stripped of citizenship?
When USA ended the slavery, it sent the free negroes for Liberia, Africa.

Send the secessionists for there too.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Secession is one thing, but secession by mutual agreement is quite another. And we all know where that leads :becky: I wonder if anyone knows the Constitutional position on the issue, apart from the legal precedent. My understanding, purely based on Jeffersonian principles, is that it would tend to favor the states' right to unilateral secession- and if that is indeed true, what are the number games like.

AFAIK, state Supreme Court verdicts have been pretty chequered on the issue of state secession from the Union. Alaska, in 2006 declared that secession was illegal when a private citizen proposed a statewide ballot on whether Alaska should seceede from the Union, while Georgia, in 2009 declared that it could secede from the Union- and that in fact the Government of the Union would cease to exist- if the latter overruled state annulment of federal laws on things like firearms and ammunition- LoL!

Check this out: sr632.html

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Texas was stolen from mexico in the first place, it rightly belongs to mexico.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
In a hypothetical scenario, where Texas indeed secedes from USA, I wonder what would be our foreign policy with such a sovereign state.
And for all practical purposes, don't think America can afford to lose so many rednecks, they're the ones who impart a certain flavour to the American image.

pmaitra

In a hypothetical scenario, where Texas indeed secedes from USA, I wonder what would be our foreign policy with such a sovereign state.
And for all practical purposes, don't think America can afford to lose so many rednecks, they're the ones who impart a certain flavour to the American image.
India has not recognized secessionist Kosovo, therefore, India will not recognize Texas, until the US Federal Government recognizes it.

The problem lies with the Civil War, where the states lost a lot of their rights. It wasn't all about slavery. The only way the US can survive is by going back to the US Constitution.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
May be a bit off topic: :D

Btw, the "Bait shop guy" is a recording of a prank call victim's voice who was earlier pranked using an Arnie soundboard. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
If I m not mistaken I think the US constitution is pretty much silent on secession, neither denying nor granting the right of to secede.

pmaitra

If I m not mistaken I think the US constitution is pretty much silent on secession, neither denying nor granting the right of to secede.
Last time there was such an attempt, it ended up in a civil war. Chances of a civil war are less, but then with the economy going downhill, I'd keep my fingers crossed.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles