Tatas to launch Rs 32,000 houses for rural market

sathya

Country flag
HYDERABAD: After it's Rs 1-lakh wonder car 'Nano', Tata Group is all set to launch a house for nearly Rs 32,000 aimed at rural market by the end of next year.

"At present, the housing project is in the pilot stage in 30 locations spread across the country and we are in discussions with various agencies like Coir Board, Jute Board and also state governments," Sumitesh Das, head global research programme of Tata Steel, said.

The houses will be made in pre-fabricated, or 'prefab', format, under which the company will provide a kit consisting of roofs, doors, windows, etc, which can be erected or assembled.

"It is quick house built in seven days if you have a patch of land. Basic model of 20 sq metres, with flat roof will cost around 500 euros (around Rs 32,000).

Upgraded model with 30 sq metres, which is the Indira Awas Yojana model, will cost 700 euros," Das said on the sidelines of Conference on Best Practices of Intellectual Property Management.

"Similarly there are other models which may come with a solar panel on the roof of the house," Das added.

The 2001 census places the rural housing shortage figure in India at 1.48 crore and the situation may prove to be a big bonanza for the Tatas.

Giving details of the project, Das said by the end of this year, they will get feedback from all the stakeholders like manufacturers, suppliers and various Panchayats.

"In the first pilot project, we saw the interest of people in verandah which we have incorporated, though it was not there earlier. We thought if we incorporate verandah, the buying will be much higher. We need feedback from Panchayats, who are our final customers," he added.

He, however, refused to draw parallels between Nano car manufactured by Tata Motors and the 500-euro house by Tata Steel, saying that the market segments are different.

Replying to a question on the challenges that the project might face Das said, "The main challenge it may face is supply chain management due to shortage of production of panels".

"We are in touch with Coir Board and Jute Board also. The pilot is also to see the supply chain arrangements. If a coir manufacturer cannot meet the demands, then we will have to think of some other product to replace.

We have technology but we do not have entrepreneurs. That's what we are looking for, people who can invest and make products for us," Das said.

The life of the house will be 20 years at this stage and may go up as the research goes on, he added.

Last edited:

sathya

Country flag
unbelievable... u cant buy even steel with that price ...
i hope it satisfies in safety aspect also..

its lot interesting how the electrical lines and toilet facilities are added.. may b those are add ons with extracharge.

even so this is a great effort.. every one in india can own a home now... if u have a land..

arya

Country flag
so great work

well personally i feel tata group is doing well for nation

Blackwater

Do they have personnel toilets or common. Our neighbor always complaint that we don't have enough toilets.:confused::confused::confused:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A good move.

Personal toilet or community toilet, it allows people in shanties to have a better roof over their head.

India has donated such houses to Bangladesh recently as the much delayed Flood Relief promised to the Bangladesh Govt.

I am sure it will go a long way since it will be helping the poor directly and not any fancy scheme that will be beleaguered by corruption.

Last edited:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Commendable effort ! also if these prefab houses can be manufactured in bulk and sold at such cheap rates i forsee them being used for labor accommodation near construction sites(we should actually make it mandatory for the builders to provide houses such as these) which in turn would beautify our cities to a large extent. also we could export these as prefab housing for disaster/war hit regions as temporary shelters.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ah if I I could just crack a deal with their Pre fab division, I could make a lot of money. Right now they buy from a competitor who is more expensive than I am!!

Somehow have to crack these guys.

Prefab is one of the fastest growing segments in India. Very fast and cost effective to make. Its growing at the rate of knots.

sathya

Country flag
yep .. u can provide accommodation for servants, agricultural land workers, store room for many things....gym,, small shops,,
Sericulture, or silk farming. etc it has got multi utilities ...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
All industries are made like this only these days. The whole structure is ready in a jiffy.

People will experiment this system with other aspects too like TATA has.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Rs 32,000 = how much in dollars?

Last edited:

sanjay

Now all we need is for Mamta or some other ambitious politician to brings mobs outside the Tata factory to drive him out. :frusty:

Nobody has shown a picture of the damn home - even the picture in the opening of that news video is probably just some generic stock photo, and not a photo of the Tata home.

Yes, I agree that manufactured housing is the future, as things can be built to better quality at cheaper cost inside a factory. While rural Indians can't afford trailer homes as rural Americans can, factory-built homes can still be transported as a bunch of cinderblock wall sections, roof, etc, and then assembled quickly on the spot.

Still, for $700 I think these will be crappy-looking homes. But for rural beggars who can't be choosers, hopefully it will be enough. I wonder if they include indoor bathrooms, or will people need to make their own separate outhouse, bathhouse, etc? I assume it doesn't include anything electrical.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Now all we need is for Mamta or some other ambitious politician to brings mobs outside the Tata factory to drive him out. :frusty:

Nobody has shown a picture of the damn home - even the picture in the opening of that news video is probably just some generic stock photo, and not a photo of the Tata home.

Yes, I agree that manufactured housing is the future, as things can be built to better quality at cheaper cost inside a factory. While rural Indians can't afford trailer homes as rural Americans can, factory-built homes can still be transported as a bunch of cinderblock wall sections, roof, etc, and then assembled quickly on the spot.

Still, for $700 I think these will be crappy-looking homes. But for rural beggars who can't be choosers, hopefully it will be enough. I wonder if they include indoor bathrooms, or will people need to make their own separate outhouse, bathhouse, etc? I assume it doesn't include anything electrical.

Watch the whole video, that generic picture is not it. Other models are there if you keep watching..

sanjay

I saw the pictures of the partially-built cinderblock walls, and I saw the pictures of those small square units. I dunno, I think that those will be a bit tiny. So then those don't look like they have a bathroom.

sanjay

Here, take a look at this:

Tata Steel to promote steel houses <br>Ties up with Canadian firm Minaean Ventures

That's got a pretty clear photo of the exterior. Still nothing of the interior.

I'm not sure if this tech is what they're using, but this is associated with Tata Steel:

MINAEAN HABITAT (INDIA) PVT. LTD.

PDF link:
http://www.minaeanindia.com/ProfileAdvantages/Vesta Advantages.pdf

Hey Yusuf, can you offer Light Gauge Steel at cheaper prices?
I don't think steel does a great job of insulating noise, like the say. It's concrete and cement which do that. If Tata could come up with a cheaper way to make pre-cast concrete, now that might be something, although labour costs for final assembly would still be significant. Or what about shipping container homes? A method of re-working containers into useful home sub-units could be cheap and liveable too.

Not all homes are built in seismic areas, and so they don't all need to be quakeproof. Likewise, how much of India gets typhoon-force winds?

Last edited:

pmaitra

Steel houses will suffer from quick heating making habitation extremely difficult. They, however, will not collapse like a brick house during an earthquake.

Steel houses might be useful in the Himalayas.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Steel houses will suffer from quick heating making habitation extremely difficult. They, however, will not collapse like a brick house during an earthquake.

Steel houses might be useful in the Himalayas.
No mate, perfect insulation materials are available. You can also install low cost very effective ventilators.

I am part of the Pre fab industry.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles