Tank brigades to be deployed near China border

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I personally have come to believe that the stryker as a 8x8 armored platform is flawed. We need to have a much more capable platform for any light/ medium armored brigades we raise for mountain combat.
A RAPID brigade of the sort you talk about must have two key features.
1) Ability to deter and destroy enemy armored assets.
2) Ability to be airlifted/airdropped into combat Zones without compromising on ability 1.
The way I see it we have three choices.
Choice 1
A medium wheeled 8x8 brigade using the Italian Centauro or a desi clone at it's base. Such a force would have at it's core.
2-300 Centauro 2 120mm gun tank destroyers.
5-700 Centauro Freccia IFVs+ command vehicles+ ambulance.
50 Centauro Porcupine 155/39 SPH artillery units.
50-100 Centauro DRACO SPAAG units.

120mm Centauro

Porcupine artillery

DRACO SPAAG

FRECCIA IFV.

This would preserve commonality of platforms and hence reduce the logistical train.The USP of such an unit would be heavy firepower but the Achilles heel would be that it would not be air droppable.

Choice 2
A much cheaper much more nimble unit made up of Humvee/comparable mounted RCL guns, mortars,SHORAD and artillery.
The USP of such an unit would be air portability while it's Achilles heel would be it's comparative light protection.

Bharat forge Garuda HUMVEE mounted 105mm gun.

Humvee based 120mm automated mortar.

Humvee based RCL gun

Humvee SHORAD.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Choice 3 is the choice I like most , here I've basically thought about an Indian analogue to a Russian Airborne Army . Equipped with SPRUT Tank destroyers, BMD 4 IFVs and NONA 120mm mortar carriers & BTR DG SPAAGs.
This force is armored survivable and airdroppable.

BTR-D SPAAG

SPRUT-SD

Nona mortar

BMD 4
The BMD 4also has a 100 mm gun capable of taking out many light Tanks on it's own.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
i see the pics didn't show up so here goes again, with reference to the above!
CHOICE 1

Centauro 120mm gun

Porcupine artillery

DRACO SPAAG

FRECCIA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHOICE 2

BHARAT FORGE GARUDA 105MM

Humvee based 120mm automated mortar.

Humvee based RCL gun

HUMVEE SHORAD

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
i see the pics didn't show up so here goes again, with reference to the above!
CHOICE 1

Centauro 120mm gun

Porcupine artillery

DRACO SPAAG

FRECCIA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem with these is when an ied or a rpg hits it's tyre it will be use less

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Dr subramanian swamy in one of his interview said that we have the proximity our war resources and china does not have that. We shall have stretagic advantage against china in this sector.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Dr subramanian swamy in one of his interview said that we have the proximity our war resources and china does not have that. We shall have stretagic advantage against china in this sector.
It was true, probably not anymore, as China has beefed up its rail and road infrastructure in Tibet.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
It was true, probably not anymore, as China has beefed up its rail and road infrastructure in Tibet.
I do not worry much about railway network. You may take out one bridge with single strike of brahmos. The real concern is road network which can be repaired in short period of time to restore the logistic.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
I do not worry much about railway network. You may take out one bridge with single strike of brahmos. The real concern is road network which can be repaired in short period of time to restore the logistic.
U can't bomb all the road network because most military trucks can go cross country also....so taking bridges might delay a little bit...

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
That is Exactly what i say. You can cripple Railway line easily but not the road network

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
That is Exactly what i say. You can cripple Railway line easily but not the road network
Then what to do about road network....:crazy:
Only thing we can do is a jungle warfare...to counter coming via road:shoot:

garg_bharat

Country flag
Chinese are very good in construction. They may repair the railway line as well as quickly.

There are indications that Chinese have greatly increased military infrastructure in Tibet, which may include prepositioning of materiel.

Theoretically let us say India can move into Tibet. But does India want Tibet?? I do not think so. Even Indian public opinion will go against as nobody thinks of Tibet as part of India.

Invading Tibet has zero value for India.

If Chinese attack, Chinese will also find the same problem with Indian territory. They have no need of it. Constant war benefits nobody, as there is simply no rationale.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Then what to do about road network....:crazy:
Only thing we can do is a jungle warfare...to counter coming via road:shoot:
I said that railway network of China can be crippled with some accurate missile strike and I am not worried bout that. I am worried about road network.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Chinese are very good in construction. They may repair the railway line as well as quickly.

There are indications that Chinese have greatly increased military infrastructure in Tibet, which may include prepositioning of materiel.
No they can not do that fast. even if they do, we can strike it once again. What we must possess is a very accurate offensive capability.

garg_bharat

Country flag
No they can not do that fast. even if they do, we can strike it once again. What we must possess is a very accurate offensive capability.
Your question is theoretical. Tibet is very high very cold plateau. The performance of cruise missiles will be known only after actual use in such conditions. It is a very challenging terrain.

I am not sure if India has enough range and enough missiles to waste on this kind of thing.

Brahmos is an expensive missile which will be used for strategic (high value) targets.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Your question is theoretical. Tibet is very high very cold plateau. The performance of cruise missiles will be known only after actual use in such conditions. It is a very challenging terrain.

I am not sure if India has enough range and enough missiles to waste on this kind of thing.

Brahmos is an expensive missile which will be used for strategic (high value) targets.
Come on, Is brahmos so expensive that we can not use it for crippling the bridges ?

Definitely not. You can cut off chinese supply line with railway in couple of strikes of brahmos living them to be dependent of road supply only. Brahmos block 3 is made for that only. it can dive on the target with a great accuracy with 300 KG load to make anything in dust.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Otherwise we can use small satellite imaging systems for real time imagery.so we can counter them..like Exelis courvus eye satellite type system....

garg_bharat

Country flag
Come on, Is brahmos so expensive that we can not use it for crippling the bridges ?

Definitely not. You can cut off chinese supply line with railway in couple of strikes of brahmos living them to be dependent of road supply only. Brahmos block 3 is made for that only. it can dive on the target with a great accuracy with 300 KG load to make anything in dust.
I think it needs a laser guided bomb. You look at the map, and check out if Brahmos will even reach the target. It has 290km range. Clearing Himalaya is big challenge.

Air fired Brahmos could but not sure how long this weapon will take to mature.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles