Tank brigades to be deployed near China border

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I think Ladakh and further east is the better front for Tank usability.
Arunachal needs air superiority more than the Tanks.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
T-72 tanks moved to remote Sikkim area
New Delhi, Tue Jul 28 2009, 04:41 hrs

Chinese moves to test Indian control of the strategic Finger Area in North Sikkim last year have prompted the Army to deploy heavy tanks and armoured personnel carriers in the region and strengthen defensive positions. one kilometre stretch of land in the northern tip of Sikkim that overlooks a valley called the Sora Funnel and is considered a strong defensive position.
Sources said that while China too has tanks on its side of the border, they are deployed well inside its territory. "China does not need to deploy tanks on the border because the terrain and roads on its side makes it easy to bring them at short notice. India, on the other hand, has no option but to keep them on the border as it would take days to get the tanks up from the plains," an expert pointed out.
T-72 tanks moved to remote Sikkim area after China tests Indian defences - Indian Express

mikhail

Country flag
T-72 tanks moved to remote Sikkim area
New Delhi, Tue Jul 28 2009, 04:41 hrs

T-72 tanks moved to remote Sikkim area after China tests Indian defences - Indian Express
kunal sir can we deploy our T-55s there in the ladakh region considering the fact that the T-55 is only 36-38 tonnes,so we can easily airlift them to ladakh and to sikkim.Israel has an extensive upgrade program for the T-55 series of tanks called Magach.this upgrade will bring our T-55s at par with any modern chini tank and we wouldn't have to worry about procuring a light tank which will need whole new training for our tank crews and then there is the maintenance issue.onthe other hand we already have more than 1000 T-55 tanks in reserve,so wouldn't it be a beeter option to deploy these tanks in ladakh and sikkim?moreover it will also increase our armor strength there on the chinese border.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian GOV have no plans to upgrade T-55 coz there is already a RFI launched for Light tanks below 20 tons..

Moving a T-55 is same as moving a T-72 given the logistics, T-55 dimensions are almost same as T-72/90 so IA deploy better.. .

------------------------------

The Light tanks for RFI even though under 20tons are way more capable than T-55..

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag

The Plateau Warriors , guess where we have a plateau facing us ;)

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I personally believe we should have a RAPID brigade based on wheeled armored platforms developed specially for the Ladakh border.
Such a brigade should be based on the structure of a USMC expeditionary army and have comparable equipment as well.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Where does most indian border touches china....i mean where do most war could happen?

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
We need spike missile system with a range of 25km or even longer so that we can stop their advance towards indian border

DingDong

Country flag
Where does most indian border touches china....i mean where do most war could happen?
China will open multiple fronts. One in around Himachal Pradesh another one in Sikkim, yet another one in Arunachal Pradesh.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
China will open multiple fronts. One in around Himachal Pradesh another one in Sikkim, yet another one in Arunachal Pradesh.
That's quiet disturbing thing...from Uttarakhand( china Border) to New Delhi is about 400 odd Km and From himachal pradesh it can cut J&K from India

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I'm guessing what you really want to know is where is there scope for armored units to play a part, well the answer to that is Ladakh.
China will open fronts in Sikkim and Arunachal as well , howeevr given the nature of the terrain most of the fighting there will be infantry based mountain and Jungle combat, with little or no scope of tank involvement.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
That's quiet disturbing thing...from Uttarakhand( china Border) to New Delhi is about 400 odd Km and From himachal pradesh it can cut J&K from India
I'd be more worried about them reaching the Chicken's neck to the North east, Delhi has a lot of real estate protecting it before the Chinese can get there.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag

south block

up your a**
Country flag
from himachal its difficult i come from kinnaur bordering china there is no plateau only steep mountain same with uttrakhand ,only place where tank can come through are ladakh & sikkim

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
I'd be more worried about them reaching the Chicken's neck to the North east, Delhi has a lot of real estate protecting it before the Chinese can get there.
Tell you some thing i'm more worried what if bangladesh turns aganist India?
There will be even more damage

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Tell you some thing i'm more worried what if bangladesh turns aganist India?
There will be even more damage
Lil chance of that ever happening, even if it does happen we will steamroll them into the dirt. This time Bangladesh will be annexed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles