Tank brigades to be deployed near China border

p2prada

I would prefer to have 'suitcase' RPGs as the Egyptians had in the Sinai and do the same devastation with cheap, mobile and hard to detect teams to take on the Chinese armour as they move in the restricted space.
So, an asymmetric advantage is possible.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Drop from air?
I don't know but if MBTs can be airdropped or air landed in bulk, then it would be worth the while.

A Light tank has no hope in hell against heavy tanks, which the Chinese will use, or against Anti tank weapons.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I don't think a light tank has any hope in hell in confined spaces since they will be moving line ahead in most of the places.
Sir..

In those places the area is huge, From Leh to these areas path is narrow but once in there zone they are independent to take any formation they like, The kind of terrain is huge valley with width of more than 2kms some time 3.8kms to preform any kind of maneuver, this kind of terrain goes in to china..

I have done some research :

----------------------

This kind of terrain goes deep in China side..

The Chinese too in the East cannot roll down any armour for it will be line ahead as there is no space for classical armour tactics.

I would prefer to have 'suitcase' RPGs as the Egyptians had in the Sinai and do the same devastation with cheap, mobile and hard to detect teams to take on the Chinese armour as they move in the restricted space.
Sir, no doubt that is the best tactics for defense..

But for how long we hold with ATGMs with limited resources ? Once the enemy is pushed back there is opportunity for counter offense to take there position when they are weak , In this terrain its not possible without tanks when enemy have no less amount of Armour support and will to expend and push into us at any cost whenever ready..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
A Light tank has no hope in hell against heavy tanks, which the Chinese will use, or against Anti tank weapons.
Sir the kind of Light tank we are suppose to get is light yet heavily Armoured, It can be deployed by Helicopter..

Chinese tanks in TAR :

Type-96 use within there zone, Airlifted only by IL-76..

ptl02 wheeled assault gun, Can be lifted by helos anywhere
---------------------------------------------------

Indian tanks in TAR :

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Over N.E, T-72/90 are deployed somewhere in Sikkim..

Sumonmitra20

Indian Tank Brigades To Defend China Border

Indian Tank Brigades To Defend China Border
The Indian Army will add major fire power on the Indo-China border by raising tank divisions that will be deployed along the border with China.

This is the first time that India will deploy armoured formations on the China border. Such formations, equipped with main battle tanks and BMP-II infantry combat vehicles, are traditionally used for striking into enemy territory.

The Ministry of Defence has approved raising six new armoured regiments, equipped with 348 tanks (58 tanks per regiment, including reserves). In addition, three mechanised infantry battalions will be raised, amounting to about 180 BMP-IIs.

The decision to beef up India's strike formation is because of China's massive military buildup on the other side of the border. The PLA has deployed large number of armoured and motorised formations in both their military regions across the Line of Actual Control.

According to the International Institute of Strategic Studies, there are 220,000 PLA troops in Ladakh, including an armoured division and two motorised infantry divisions (a division has three brigades). Opposite India's northeastern states, there are some 180,000 PLA troops, including two armoured brigades and four motorised infantry divisions.

In the Sino-Indian war of 1962, six vintage AMX-13 tanks that the Indian Army had airlifted to Chushul inflicted serious losses and delay on the advancing Chinese. Indian Army's Ladakh-based 14 Corps will house an armoured brigade to cover the flat approaches from Tibet towards India's crucial defences at Chushul. Another regiment will be located on the flat, 17,000-feet-high North Sikkim plateau, on which border areas are hotly disputed between China and India.

the army has demanded the purchase of additional T-90 tanks for these six armoured regiments. India has already bought 657 T-90S tanks from Russia and obtained a licence to build another 1,000. Now, in addition to these purchases, the army wants the latest version of this tank, called the T-90MS.

The Indian Army is also raising a mountain strike corps in the northeast, consisting of two mountain divisions with about 40,000 soldiers. The addition of an armoured brigade would add real teeth to the strike corps.

The state-of-the-art Sukhoi-30MKI fighters are flying from new IAF air bases in Tezpur and Chhabua, with additional air bases coming up in Jorhat, Guwahati, Mohanbari, Bagdogra and Hashimara. Six new squadrons of the anti-aircraft Akash missile will defend India's northeastern airspace. The IAF is modernising eight Advanced Landing Grounds to support offensive operations in the north-east.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:
http://www.defencenews.in/defence-news-internal.asp?get=new&id=1423

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Kunal,

You may have done research.

I have done an Official Military Study for Threat Assessment and had also been the Commander of one side in a Theatre War Game.

There are areas where tanks can move, but then what matters is the Objectives, Initial, Intermediate and Terminal.

The Indian Armour will be used up front near the LAC where movement is feasible and possibly to make a foray into Tibet as a riposte.

I will leave it at that.

I am not too hot on Tank Technology, but what would a light tank be which is heavy in armour but light in weight?

Why is Strykers being used if there were a tank that is light in weight, but heavy on armour?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have mentioned that TAR is tank country.

Where exactly is the Chinese armour to 'roll down' in the East?

Bheeshma

Good move. T-90's or T-72 backed by Akash SAM and Pinaka with 155 mm light guns are ideal for the terrain.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have done an Official Military Study for Threat Assessment and had also been the Commander of one side in a Theatre War Game.

There are areas where tanks can move, but then what matters is the Objectives, Initial, Intermediate and Terminal.

The Indian Armour will be used up front near the LAC where movement is feasible and possibly to make a foray into Tibet as a riposte.
Sir, that is what i meant...

Tanks will move only where they can in these terrain, they cannot move everywhere but exactly where they need..
I am not too hot on Tank Technology, but what would a light tank be which is heavy in armour but light in weight?

Why is Strykers being used if there were a tank that is light in weight, but heavy on armour?
Sir, these are light But when on field it can be equipped with add-on armors modules such as ERA / Slat Armour / Composite modules, Giving them extra protections..

Also there is APS ( active protection system ) which can shoot down incoming ATGM or even tank rounds..

Regarding Fire power these tank have edge over any Chinese tank coz they have non line of sight Anti-tank missiles..

Also these tanks use 120mm shells..

--------------------

Stryker dont have APS nor ERA in there operational areas just slat Armour..

Sir, recently Leh highway is modified to take T-72/90 tanks..

Presently Leh airport is the medium for Armour transportation..

Sir, Its known that T-72 are going over tip of sikkim..

Though there is not much info available..

p2prada

Wouldn't it be suicide to enter Chinese territory without heavy armour to counter theirs?

Dixit13

don't provoke them,........ don't wanna c our asses kicked.....wait till 2015 :hail:

Dixit13

until that time we will be busy tying nimboo-mirchi in front of our every weapon systems :rofl:

sunnyv

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't see where in NE it is feasible to deploy T90 in numbers.
alpha) Infrastructure not in place
bravo) Terrain is not suitable owing to heights above 9000 in Tawang and surr areas.
charlie) New mountain strike corps is being raised esp keeping Arunachal in mind so where would these armored brigades be stationed both in OP time and peace time
Assam perhaps ??? but that is appx 700 kms away from LAC.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles