Tamarind tree in co-op society premises, a good or a bad Omen?

kseeker

Retired
Here's a situation...

I live in a newly formed co-op society (6 months old) wherein we have some trees in the society premises. Among others, there's this lone Tamarind tree !

We the society members had a meeting and one member raised a concern on Tamarind tree which is flourishing in our society compound.

He started arguing that, Tamarind tree is source of bad omen if present in the society premises, according to his belief, Tamarind tree attracts evil forces near it's vicinity and it has to be chopped off ! Few other members agreed on his views too :facepalm:

I and few others have opposed this ridiculous idea and we are gonna have a poll to decide whether or not to cut off this poor Tamarind tree.

The SANE statements given by us couldn't convince those INSANEs :(

I and few other members are in desperate pursuit to save this harmless tree !

Has anyone heard of things like this before ? Any thoughts on this aspect ?

EDIT: This Tamarind is is around 6-7 years old. The members who are thinking of chopping of this tree are saying, they will plant another tree instead of this one.

P.S. This is not a joke, please don't be sarcastic :namaste:

Last edited:

Vishwarupa

Country flag
I suggest you to plant few more Tamarind trees across your co-op society. Tell them cutting a tree is bad omen & it will haunt their children in long run.

Please note i am not sarcastic.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Here's a situation...

I live in a newly formed co-op society (6 months old) wherein we have some trees in the society premises. Among others, there's this lone Tamarind tree !

We the society members had a meeting and one member raised a concern on Tamarind tree which is flourishing in our society compound.

He started arguing that, Tamarind tree is source of bad omen if present in the society premises, according to his belief, Tamarind tree attracts evil forces near it's vicinity and it has to be chopped off ! Few other members agreed on his views too :facepalm:

I and few others have opposed this ridiculous idea and we are gonna have a poll to decide whether or not to cut off this poor Tamarind tree.

EDIT: This Tamarind is is around 6-7 years old. The members who are thinking of chopping of this tree are saying, they will plant another tree instead of this one.

quietly inform any gov department dealing with tress.I am sure cutting tress is illegal in india

kseeker

Retired
quietly inform any gov department dealing with tress.I am sure cutting tress is illegal in india
I was thinking about the same, looking for some information locally to get in touch with local municipal body or forest dept guys...

pmaitra

The only bad thing about tamarind trees that I have witnessed is that they tend to be preferred by monitors to nestle. However, a monitor can nestle there only if it is a swamp or moist area. What is the location of this tamarind tree?

Monitor

Anyway, I think tamarind is an important ingredient for rasam, so why cut it?

Tamarind Rasam

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Cutting any fruit growing tree is a bad omen as per the belief of some.

Every Municipal Corporation has rules where you cannot cut or even trim trees without sanction.

In Calcutta, we have the Green Bench and cutting a tree without sanction can mean a fine or jail or both.

Check your local rules and tell the Corporation.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Here in south Tamarind is a Must needed Ingredient in all Types of Curry

Just like Salt

Tamarind tree attracts evil forces near it's vicinity and it has to be chopped off ! Few other members agreed on his views too
This theory Present in our Places also

Here you Can't find any Tamarind tree infront of our Houses

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When I was in the Army, I had a whole lot of tamarind trees in my huge compound.

I am not being sarcastic, but no ghosts came there, nor did I have any bad luck either!

kseeker

Retired
Cutting any fruit growing tree is a bad omen as per the belief of some.
I asked my grand parents about that and they have the same opinion as above.

I will try to convince my society members about this aspect. If at all they don't agree, I and others are planning to register an official complaint about it.

pmaitra

It's at the back yard of our society.
I meant to say which geographical location is it? For example, if this society is in the Thar Desert or Leh, you won't be seeing monitors. There was a village farmhouse I used to visit when young. We had a tamarind tree. A posse of monitors would hang out at the bottom of the tree. We always avoided going close to that tree.

kseeker

Retired
Tamarind tree attracts evil forces near it's vicinity and it has to be chopped off ! Few other members agreed on his views too
This theory Present in our Places also

Here you Can't find any Tamarind tree infront of our Houses
:rolleyes: Any particular reason behind that belief ?

When I asked my society member to justify his thoughts about cutting Tamarind tree, he didn't have any explanations. He started saying, it's an age old belief and that's why he would believe that too. Ridiculous :mad:

kseeker

Retired
I meant to say which geographical location is it? For example, if this society is in the Thar Desert or Leh, you won't be seeing monitors. There was a village farmhouse I used to visit when young. We had a tamarind tree. A posse of monitors would hang out at the bottom of the tree. We always avoided going close to that tree.
OOPS ! my mistake.

Location is Pune, Maharashtra.

kseeker

Retired
One of my friend sent me a link which says, as per Vastu Shastra, Tamarind tree should not be a part of the property where we live !!!

The Goddess of fortune will flee away from the resident of a house even though he is leading a princely life - if the following plants or trees grow in the periphery of such a house.
1. Agaththi (coronilia grandiflora)

2. Alari (oleander)

3. Nanthiyavattam (Nerium Coronadum)

4. Murukku (Indian Coral tree)

5. Erukku (Catotropis gigantea)

6. Paruthi (Cotton shrub)

7. Karungali (Ebony)

8. Aal (Baniyan)

9. Puli (Tamarind)

10. Kal-aal (Ficus Vireus)

11. Naaval (Jambo)

According to the essence of Veda, it is ten times a better deed to dig up a tank than to dig up a well in a good site.

It is again ten times a better deed to beget a good son than digging up ten tanks.

It is again ten times a better deed to plant and grow a good tree than to beget ten good sons. After constructing a house, people grow plants, and trees in the front yard and at the back yard of the house. They reap good benefits by planting coconut, mango and other utility trees. They also get flowers for worshipping God, from the flowering plants they grow.

In addition the appearance of the house surrounded by greeneries is quite appealing to the eyes and adds beauty to the house.

By planting and growing plants, and trees, the family will be benefited. The text written by MAYA however warns that there are certain trees that are beneficial and certain other trees which are maleficent to the welfare of the family.

Maintaining a garden or growing plants, and trees in the South East or South direction of the house is prohibited. Failure to observe this rule will lead to loss of property, fear, quarrel and falling sick often.

Maintaining a garden or growing plants, and trees in the East, West and North directions of the house will beget good children (sons and daughters) and a pleasant life. Both the house and its residents will not prosper, in which house trees such as Elandhai (Ziziphus jujuha), Sevvaazhai (Red plantain), Karu vaazhai (Black plantain) Maathulai (Pomgranate) are grown. The wealth and welfare that are naturally reaped by a family will be reduced if trees like Purasu, Sampanki, and Naanai and Maththi kaagu are grown in the house. There will be loss of abundance of wealth and loss of son, if trees like Nelli (Phyllanthus embilica) and turmeric raezome are grown. Even if these plants grow by themselves, they must be completely weeded out.

Growing a banyan tree in the eastern side, a peepul tree in the western side, an iththi tree (ficus viren) in the northern side of a house will bring in good fortune, bounty of wealth both monetary and grainy, and an increase of the tribe and the comforts of royal life.

Growing a peepul tree in the eastern side, an iththi tree (Ficus viren) in the southern side, a banyan tree in the western side and an aththi tree (Ficus racemoso) in the northern side is malefic to the growers, causing bereavements and loss of property. This is also true even if the above trees grow in the wild in the directions specified above.

Coconut tree, being equivalent to the Karpaga vrisham, (a tree of the heaven yielding whatever is desired) is the most ideal tree to be grown during this present iron age of miseries (Kaliyuga). Also the mango trees and flowering plants could be ideally grown.

The vegetations of trees, plants, and all other small plants enhance the power to the motions of the five elements of Earth, air, fire, water, and ether, which in turn influence the human beings to reap the benefits of longevity of life and good fortune.

Even in the foreign countries people grow plants of some kind or other in their gardens or indoors with the strong belief that it will drive away the poverty. Further, based on this same belief they have started growing plants in important locations, thus strengthening their belief.

The book of Vedas (the holy book of the Hindus) makes it known for the one who let grows a sacred Vilva tree (Crataeva religiose), all the sins he had committed in his previous births will be completely annihilated, all his descendants for the succeeding twenty one generations will reap the benefit of a life without poverty, beget children, get wealth with gems and jewels, get peace of mind without any enemies and be blessed with the benefit of living in the holy land of the Hindus (Punniya Bhoomi).

Similarly for the one who grows and worship a sacred Tulsi (Holy Basil) plant (Ocymum Sanctum) the sins he had committed in all his former births will totally be annihilated and he will earn the merits of having lived in the heaven for thousand years for having worshipped the holy basil for one day and all his descendants for the succeeding 21 generations will be blessed with the comforts of a royal life having got in their possession the two species of gold one in the form of chank (conch) and the other in the form of a lotus of the heaven (Sanga nidhi and Paduma nidhi), regarded as possessing life and yielding whatever is desired.

Master Yuvaraj Sowma Official Website.......

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I see. I think it is safe to say that you won't have reptilian visitors then.
Monitors are there in Maharastra.

Sinhgarh was captured with the help of monitors by the Mahars of the Maratha Army.

And the Mahars eat monitors with relish.

It is called Ghorpur!

Decklander

In Delhi Dehaat and Haryana, we have a tradition of planting Neem tree at the entrance or front courtyard and Mango trees around the house.
Tulsi and banana trees are planted for worship only.

drkrn

Here's a situation...

may be because once upon a time when people lived in individual small houses ,the tamarind tree which will obviously grow very big causes problems for their house like less ventilation,insects that harbor the tree etc..

every thing said by our elders has a meaning.over a period of time they became blind customs

kseeker

Retired
In Delhi Dehaat and Haryana, we have a tradition of planting Neem tree at the entrance or front courtyard and Mango trees around the house.
Tulsi and banana trees are planted for worship only.
In some parts of Karnataka, I have seen Neem trees planted in the vicinity of the house. People say that, Neem tree keeps harmful insects away.

kseeker

Retired
may be because once upon a time when people lived in individual small houses ,the tamarind tree which will obviously grow very big causes problems for their house like less ventilation,insects that harbor the tree etc..

every thing said by our elders has a meaning.over a period of time they became blind customs
Good points, didn't think in that direction before.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles