Talks on for building 3 More Talwars

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
Russia and India are negotiating the construction of three frigates of Project Tarkash for the Indian Navy at JSC "Baltic Shipyard" Yantar "(part of the USC), said Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, at the meeting of the Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, deputy prime ministers.

"Negotiations on the third trio," - he said.

Rogozin said that while there is a contract for the construction of six ships of the project for the Indian Navy, the first ship was delivered to the customer on November 9.

"The Indian side is satisfied with the quality of this ship," - said Rogozin.

He added that the six ships of the same project, now being built for the Russian Navy.

РФ ведет переговоры о строительстве еще 3 фрегатов для Индии - Рогозин | РИА Новости

abingdonboy

Country flag
Personally I would much rather the IN went for 3 more P-17As but if timing is a concern then the IN really has no choice but to go for these-Indian shipyards are booked out for the next 5-6 years.

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
For $500 Million a piece, It is a very good ship,

Kranthi

Good Decision.
It would be better if we order 4 this time and round it off to 10 :p

Well as our indigenous projects are struck with delays due to lack of proper infrastructure and delays in supply of components from foreign dealers,may be this decision cannot be ruled out.And in fact we should keep on buying (i don't say from Russia alone) as long as we become self reliant on complete ship building industry including gas turbines,advance diesel engines,propellers and whatever we are buying from others, to reach the target of 150 surface combatant fleet as soon as possible without compromising on quality and capabiliity of the vessels.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Good Decision.
It would be better if we order 4 this time and round it off to 10 :p

Well as our indigenous projects are struck with delays due to lack of proper infrastructure and delays in supply of components from foreign dealers,may be this decision cannot be ruled out.And in fact we should keep on buying (i don't say from Russia alone) as long as we become self reliant on complete ship building industry including gas turbines,advance diesel engines,propellers and whatever we are buying from others, to reach the target of 150 surface combatant fleet as soon as possible without compromising on quality and capabiliity of the vessels.
India has no issues with making surface combatants on their own. Only thing lacking is the capacity to make 10s of ship at one time.

Kranthi

India has no issues with making surface combatants on their own. Only thing lacking is the capacity to make 10s of ship at one time.
Yes we are very good at designing and constructing a ship.
But we are still importing the most important machinery i.e, the engines and propellers from outside let alone the weapon systems.
I meant that.

I mean that we should be able to build big ships (frigates,destroyers not AC or LHD etc) from A to Z on our own with an exception for weapon systems which we can look out for the best of the times. There should not be spares issues in wartime.We should not depend on someone to send spare parts and this can be solved if we build a ship from the scratch on our own.

I know we are not too far from that.But until then,as our shipyards are busy, we better buy a few more ships on this proven platform to keep up with the required pace.

Bheeshma

Order 3 more Talwars but place the order for 9 P-17a's along with them at Indian Shipyards.

H.A.

Kiloskar is one of the companies who makes engines in its Pune facility...then there is wartsila not an Indian company but had a manufacturing base in India...also there is DRDO who I believe has developed electric propulsion in house, (I am not sure about the DRDO part I have heard it)

p2prada

But we are still importing the most important machinery i.e, the engines and propellers from outside let alone the weapon systems.
Currently we are working on gas turbine engines (Kaveri) and nuclear propulsion (with most probably Russian steam turbines). It is a decent start.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Put together the private yards and PSU's should have no problem in executing even large orders in a rapid time. the only issue being that the GOI and the MOD have really not brought the large private yards on board for warships till now, well apart from the OPV order to Pipavav that is!

natarajan

When we talk of vikramadithya delay ,we say we dont have enough surface fleet so we should go and order atleast 5 frigates of talwar class ,as currently there is no frigate construction awarded to indian yards after shivalik class

sasi

Worth it, we can go for 3 more if they don't up the PRICE.

bose

Country flag
The Indian Defense ministry have to act fast and come up with a strategy for next 5 years, how to involve the private sector to ship building as the govt owned are booked to capacity. Secondly Indian have to indiginious the end to end technology for a modern ship building be it turbines, modular design, propellers, armaments etc.

The key is we have to move fast and not get stuck in the long decision making cycle.

Kranthi

Currently we are working on gas turbine engines (Kaveri) and nuclear propulsion (with most probably Russian steam turbines). It is a decent start.
I thought Kaveri is only an aircraft engine and kaveri mini for U(C)AVs :p
Do we have a bigger version of kaveri for marine propulsion ???

sasi

No, the same size. It can used only for 2500tn coverttes. We need more investment to develop powerfull engine.
~
Kavari marine engine is more like demonstrator. If it is qualified,we may see more fund from navy to develop engine for large tn ships.

p2prada

Yeah. There is a Kaveri engine planned for ships, small ships like Corvettes and Frigates.

Kaveri engine derivative will be used for AURA, it is a LCA class UCAV.

Kaveri will also be used to develop an engine for tanks.

agentperry

if russians can deliver on time then its a good way forward. moreover if GoI is really interested in having a very big bavy then why not have large scale modernization and expansion of shipyards why only having them upgraded on small scale and then again and again going for foreign shipyards. there are good designs but only lack of shipyards is making induction getting delayed. we need capacity designs are ready

mikhail

Country flag
guys i have a simple question which is why are we increasing the no. of frigates when the IN desperately needs some modern destroyers!i mean instead of ordering another three Talwar class frigates we can order the latest upgraded Russian Udaloy-II class destroyers or we can turn to France and order their new Horizon class destroyers or we can also opt for the new FREMM class destroyers which is under development or we can also go for Type-45/Daring class destroyers develped by the U.K.we can also perhaps look for those Zumbalt class destroyers currently being developed by the U.S.!currently the most modern destroyers of IN are the Delhi class destroyers which are over 10 years old and there is no reliable info regarding the induction of the Project-15A Kolkata class destroyers which will replace the old Rajput class destroyers:noidea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_class_frigate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udaloy_class_destroyer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_45_destroyer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumwalt_class_destroyer

Last edited:

sasi

guys i have a simple question which is why are we increasing the no. of frigates when the IN desperately needs some modern destroyers!i mean instead of ordering another three Talwar class frigates we can order the latest upgraded Russian Udaloy-II class destroyers or we can turn to France and order their new Horizon class destroyers or we can also opt for the new FREMM class destroyers which is under development or we can also go for Type-45/Daring class destroyers develped by the U.K.we can also perhaps look for those Zumbalt class destroyers currently being developed by the U.S.!currently the most modern destroyers of IN are the Delhi class destroyers which are over 10 years old and there is no reliable info regarding the induction of the Project-15A Kolkata class destroyers which will replace the old Rajput class destroyers:noidea:
Horizon class frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Udaloy class destroyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Type 45 destroyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Zumwalt class destroyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Talwar frigates are multirole . It come handy containing pak navy. Easy maintenance and cheap to operate. It more like specifically for handle any operation in arabian sea. On other hand shivalik are for broader threat in eastern theatre.
~
we certainly go for french des. we have to pay price of carrier.
~
I am not sure abt Uk and Us provide us des. Price also matters.
~
No to rus des. It is better to have kolkatta des. Yes time matters.
Rajput needs upgrades.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles