Taiwan says China to build two aircraft carriers

Country flag
Taiwan says China to build two aircraft carriers

Taiwan's intelligence chief said Monday that China plans to build two aircraft carriers in addition to the first in its fleet, a refitted former Soviet carrier currently undergoing sea trials.

"Indeed the Chinese communists have decided to build two aircraft carriers on their own," Tsai Teh-sheng, head of the island's National Security Bureau, told parliament.

Tsai said that construction of the warships is slated to start in 2013 and 2015 respectively, with delivery dates of 2020 and 2022, and that they would be conventionally powered.

Tsai said that since mid-2011 China had conducted six sea trials of its first carrier, and that Taiwan expected it to go into service before the end of this year.

"Initially it may simply serve for training purposes but it can be transferred for battles when necessary in the future," he said.

The Chinese ship's sea trials have sparked international concern about China's widening naval reach amid growing regional tensions over maritime disputes and a US campaign to assert itself as a Pacific power.

Tsai's comments came in response to queries from Lin Yu-fang, a lawmaker from the ruling Kuomintang party who said the development could force Taiwan's entire defence strategy to be overhauled.

"Once the two warships join the Chinese navy, their threat to Taiwan will be way larger than that of the 'Varyag'," he said, referring to the reconditioned 1980s Soviet-era carrier.

In response to China's naval build-up, Taiwan is arming more of its warships with its new "carrier killer" anti-ship missiles and building a fleet of 12 corvettes designed with "stealth" technologies.

The Hsiung Feng (Brave Wind) missiles are reportedly designed to cruise at a speed of Mach 2.0, or twice the speed of sound, with a range of up to 130 kilometres (80 miles).

In an inauguration speech Sunday after winning re-election in January polls, Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou said his administration would maintain an "effective deterrent" while pursuing detente with China in the years ahead.

Ties between China and Taiwan have improved significantly since the Beijing-friendly Ma became the island's president in 2008, vowing to adopt a non-confrontational policy towards the mainland.

China still regards Taiwan as part of its territory awaiting reunification, by force if necessary, although the island has governed itself since the two sides separated in 1949 after a long civil war.

satish007

China has promised it will never have aircraft carrier decades ago. they only got one for training up their pilots because they might build some big aircraft fishery admin boats.

badguy2000

Respected Member
China has promised it will never have aircraft carrier decades ago. they only got one for training up their pilots because they might build some big aircraft fishery admin boats.
exactly speaking, what CHina is to build is "aircraft-carrying fishery administration boats".

redragon

Country flag
Fyi
Stupid taiwan media has announce that kind of news 1000times already

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yet it's KMT which keeps sucking up to the Chicoms.

GromHellscream

It's the Koreans who created the history in the past;
It's the Taiwanese who is grasping everything in control nowadays;
It's the Indians who will get all hopes realized in the future;
What a wonderful Big Three, China has no chance to survive.

no smoking

Country flag
Just show me the source that China is making such promise because as I remember that China has been make the opposite promise.

satish007

Just show me the source that China is making such promise because as I remember that China has been make the opposite promise.
sir, Butt guy has agreed with me, he is senior member, has waaay more effect than you, that not enough for you?
Butt guy has entered another level, just married, got a new car, introducing his living,1 m house , favourite movies, interesting stuff, he is more gentle than your young 50 cents although he was, you guys still in india mocking level.
I am sure butt guy will introduce his litte butt guy soon.
but agree nobody should smoking.
BTW, show me the source you no smoking , please

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China should have four aircraft carriers.

One in the Pacific, one in the Indian Ocean, one in the SCS and one undergoing refit and be the spare.

satish007

China should have four aircraft carriers.

One in the Pacific, one in the Indian Ocean, one in the SCS and one undergoing refit and be the spare.
Ray ,are your account hacked?
China will not have areicraft carrier, and China will steer clear of Indian Ocean and Monster BrahMos.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No it is not hacked.

The Romany Gypsy's crystal ball has been attached! ;)

no smoking

Country flag
sir, Butt guy has agreed with me, he is senior member, has waaay more effect than you, that not enough for you?
Butt guy has entered another level, just married, got a new car, introducing his living,1 m house , favourite movies, interesting stuff, he is more gentle than your young 50 cents although he was, you guys still in india mocking level.
I am sure butt guy will introduce his litte butt guy soon.
but agree nobody should smoking.
BTW, show me the source you no smoking , please
Well, I don't see anyone is agree with you.

My source? How about that chinese carrier which Chinese engineers have been working on for more than 10 YEARS?

satish007

My source? How about that chinese carrier which Chinese engineers have been working on for more than 10 YEARS?
Sad, are you blind(check #4), do you know what's fuyou means, you just smoke too much.

provid me source you have car, good house, or you just a student, know nothing just spent your parents money. study hard please, don't forget day day up.
FYI
level 1, know nothing but just keep mocking India, you are in the level.
level 2, huyou,mine
level 3, enjoy life **** guy

low level student

Last edited:

satish007

क्या आप अंधे हैं? Kya Aap andhe Hai ?

Last edited:

ice berg

Ahh, a false flagg finally shows him-self. I wonder when you gonna do that. :p

no smoking

Country flag
Sad, are you blind(check #4), do you know what's fuyou means, you just smoke too much.

provid me source you have car, good house, or you just a student, know nothing just spent your parents money. study hard please, don't forget day day up.
FYI
level 1, know nothing but just keep mocking India, you are in the level.
level 2, huyou,mine
level 3, enjoy life **** guy

low level student
Sorry, I didn't realise that you are playing yourself as a clown.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles