Superiority of American weapons and tactics

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
One of the amazing things about the F22 is that pilot needed at least 50 hours of simulated flight time and 200 hours of actual flight time in order to be qualified to fly an F22. It takes a pilot 2 years to reach the same level of proficancy in an SU29.
Are those figures meaningful without more information?

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Listen you average [edited], you can rant all you want against Russians and Indians and whoever you want to. However, your military thinks otherwise and is on their toes all the time bellowing about "Russian threats" etc etc. You are an average mind just like millions of your countrymen, who wouldn't be able to point out Russia on the map even if their life depended on it. And you talk of weapons and tactics? You think your overpriced jets and fancy warboats are worth anything? You can't even beat the Taliban and you boast of challenging Russia, China or India? May enlightenment dawn upon you.

[edited]

MOD Edit: Let's avoid ad hominems please.

average american

Re: ADA Tejas (LCA) - III

If enough R&D is done by the time PAKFA is inducted in 2025 ,we could very well induct fully stealth TEJAS mk-III with higher power engine and internal bomb bays.Tejas is now more mature platform to takeup this upgrade.

Being physically smaller it will have a third of PAKFA,s RCS in stealth version.If there is a need we can even add another engine to tejas,rather than wasting time on another complete new platform called AMCA.It has much better fuselage wing body blending leaving enough space for internal bomb bay integeration.It has no peeping features like canards or complex tail fins now.

The russians too modified the SUKHOI FOR PAKFA.So a prudent approach is to evolve the tejas design to stealth in mk-III with another engine.The chinese too are doing the same with J-20.IAF top brass in once again sending ADA on a long deep R&D voyage in the name of AMCA.

SO PAKFA wont be any significant path breaking platform in IAF stables.Some very detailed write up claims an RCS of 0.3 sq met for PAKFA,with exposed compressor blades .Not great for a 5th gen.TEJAS in mk-III can do much beter than that at much cheaper cost than both RAFALE and PAKFA.
It would be great if life was that simple, the US has been working on stealth since World War II, been building stealth planes for 35 years, spent over a trillion dollars to develope and built 5 operational versions of stealth planes and countless prototypes befor developing the revolutionary technology in its sixth and seventh versions of a steath fighter the F22 and the strikefighter the F35. While the PAK-FA will have a reduced radar signature, it will not in anyway be a stealth fighter and the Tejas will never be a stealth fighter.

Last edited:

average american

I have been to Russia, I have been to their technical schools...their technology is no where are par with the west....What I also see from the Russians is too many maintenance hours per flight hour. I see too much equipment sitting outside in a state of disuse. Equipment that is supposed to be either a source of spares, or operational. I see ships that spend months in port for repairs that should take days. I see real problems with safety. I see real problems with proficiency. A defense industry especially in a country like Russia does not just go to sleep for twenty years and wake up powerful.....especially when it spends so little on research and development. If any one is here is typeing on an Russian Computer, or I Pad, or has a Russian cell phone designed in Russia let me know.

Last edited:

average american

^^ How about made in China?
Made in China but not invented or designed in China. What people fail to realize is that labor has become a commodity like oil, wheat, or minerals, you use it where its cheap and plentiful. Between my wife and I we have maybe 8 electronic devices, like cell phones, I pads, computers, if the labor to build them was not so cheap, we would not have them.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Re: ADA Tejas (LCA) - III

It would be great if life was that simple, the US has been working on stealth since World War II, been building stealth planes for 35 years, spent over a trillion dollars to develope and built 5 operational versions of stealth planes and countless prototypes befor developing the revolutionary technology in its sixth and seventh versions of a steath fighter the F22 and the strikefighter the F35. While the PAK-FA will have a reduced radar signature, it will not in anyway be a stealth fighter and the Tejas will never be a stealth fighter.
What about the fact that PAKFA is an evolved version of SUKHOI.

And Don't you think J-20 would have taken significant input from J-10 or MIg 1.44 for it's canard delta configuration?

What I said was evolve the taliless cranked delta design of LCA with planform arrangement and internal bomb bays and twin engines to the empty weight level of F-35 and get a workable stealth 5th gen version quickly.
Not make the tejas stealth as it is.
even the 2x75 kn each from kaveri will be sufficient for this.You can design for higher thrust expecting upgraded engines later and start the flight tests with these 75 kn engines now.They say asea would be on LCA-MK-II .So what else is needed?

Rather than going for a totaly new design for AMCA with goodies that are not even in F-22 this would be a prudent approach.
Sure ADA would have data from 4000 test flights neeeded for LCA FOC as ready reckoner for this design purpose.

Rather than going for all new design.Because you never know when someone will announce that we have invented ground breaking stealth detection radar tech.because people would be working like squirells on this topic.

Don't you think even the 2X75 kn thrust offered by the kaveri won't be good enough for that?
You can always upgrade the engine lated if you factor in the excess thrust with engine upgrades while designing.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Re: Sukhoi PAK FA and FGFA (Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft)

Actually this was being discussed in the PAKFA thread. So, I had posted this after too,

Here, I mention about the Russians buying French to fill the void. It is the same. The Russians had not developed equivalents back during the time configuration and specifications were specified.

It is possible the stuff on the Super MKIs will mostly be Russian/Indian, not French.

HUD, INS, Displays and Targeting Pods can be changed very quickly. So, can RWR. Also I suppose you mean a South African LWS and MAWS. Even these can be replaced.

Btw, there is a chance HUD, Displays and Targeting pods will be Indian or Israeli on Rafale too. Heck, there is a chance the INS may be Russian this time because of a possible requirement for GLONASS.

Btw, you completely deviated to the point I was making. Regardless of the itsy-bitsy parts from France, the MKM still beat the Super Hornet by a long shot. Even the Block 2 SH was supposed to be on par with MKM in capability and this advantage had nothing to do with French parts on the MKM.

The problem with those world records are they are IRRELEVANT in the BVR age.That's why americans didn't try to beat them.They moved on to stealth platform .

It is not that they dont know how to beat the world record.Once stealth novelty is over they will come back and beat them because their engine has better TWRs than russian engines. SO it is not that they tried and failed.

They are using the higher thrust of their superior engines tocater to the thrust gulping compromises for stealth and cooling needs of 5th gen.Things are not as simple as it meets the eye in military aviation.

Also why did IAF choose french rafale ? It could have added more sukhois of which they are only too familiar and there will never be any fear of sanctions.

Reason the reliability of mirage and the lower RCS of rafale.In one on one with SUKHOI RAFALE will always see first and fire it's BVR first.

SO IAF will use SUKHOI as mini awacs as displayed in REDFLAG exercise in combination with MIG-21s.ANd in futures in combination with LCAs and rafales in combination.

Because huge power reserve of SUKHOI will give it enough tracking rage to act both as a fighter and awacs. BUT at the same time it's higher RCS will make it more identifiable from a long distance not a desirable trait in the BVR age.

No amount of cobars will save you from a 40 plus G turning BVR.

That's why you just can't say that french and american planes wont beat the sukhoi records because they are inferior.
Kg for KG french and american engine produce more thrust than russian engine.

What to do with it is the fighter designer's job.
Russains get around this by making huge engines and huge planes with enormous power to achieve the same agility of western counterparts.But there is an RCS penalty to pay.It cannot be remedied.

But the russians are not simply putting R& D effort into making their engine more reliable from the mig-21 days. They are only building bigger and bigger engines with same reliability issues.That is the crux of the problem.

PM to**raise Su-30 MKI engine failure with Russia - Hindustan Times

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-...gine-failure-with-Russia/Article1-783035.aspx

There seems to be shaft bearing failures on sukhoi engine according to the IAF. After years and years of operation no mirage ever reported engine issues like this. Especially in long drawn out wars these may be very crucial issues.

Acouple of JF-17s crashed this year in PAF , all they can manage is to say "INSHA ALLAH". What they can do?
Will they complain to chinese or russians?
I think the PAF chief can make a phonecall to IAF chief and share their grievience in a waga border like candle light vigil.

The IAF is grounding MIG-23s and forbids young pilots on MIG-21 from last month.
After the crash killing squadron leader IAF has grounded 100 odd MIG-23s.
In normal circumstances it should have been jubiliation in PAF.
But they will be bitting the nails because they are buying into the same old mig series Russian engine tech with 10 times worser chinese reverse engineering skills.

The problem with SU-30MKI is not as such a design flaw but can be termed so. The problem is with the FBW software. Its Indian scientists who have found this problem and not the russians. They are now fixing the problem. The russians are really thankful to Indians for it . The software of Su-30MKI will have major upgrade soon and you will see the ac will be even more effective with it.
the above was the reason for the past two crashes of sukhoi. That's why I get mad when people like p2prada keep shouting LCA is 30 years late. Rushing through with FBW software means planes will keep crashing for no reason. In peace time it's okay But in war times?Would you have the luxury of correcting FBW error which will take years?
I

Last edited:

average american

The F22 is designed for Steath from IRST the F-22 uses the fuel to cool the wing leading edges, this heat is then vented (and the fuel cooled again) through a heat exhanger located about half way down the fuselage on the upper surface.

So from above the F-22 would have a significant heat signature, but from ahead and below it would be quite low.

The F-22 was designed to disguise its infrared emissions, reducing the threat of infrared homing ("heat seeking") surface-to-air or air-to-air missiles, including its flat thrust vectoring nozzles.[185] The aircraft was designed to be less visible to the naked eye; radio, heat and noise emissions are equally controlled.[184] Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The SU 35 has the radar signature of 1 square meter, the F22 .0001 of a meter.

Aircraft

Radar cross section (estimate)

Sukhoi Su-30MKI

4 square meters[189]

Dassault Rafale

2 square meters[190]

Eurofighter Typhoon

1 square meter[191]

Sukhoi Su-35S

1 square meter[192]

Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk

0.025 square meters[190]

Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II

0.0013 square meters [193]

Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

0.0001 square meters

There seems to be a powerful lobby out there determined for whatever reason (one can but speculate) to try and rubbish the F35 at every opportunity, eg by playing up the sort of issues that will routinely crop up as part of the development programme of any new high tech aircraft.
It seems fairly simple as to why. It will effectively put everyone but Lockmart out of the fighter business in the Western world, at least for a while. Like the F-16 pretty much did it will become the solution for most nations needing fighters for next 10 or 20 years assuming people don't want to buy Russian obsolete Junk..

average american

Re: Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

I have a better one, and actually confirmed and documented in US Army ARMOR Magazine.

This only prooves You are not a man that have balls to fight hand to hand... pussy.

Oh really? The maybe You should resign from aircrafts, F-22A also can be take out by a missile that costs several thousands of dollars. Attack helicopters also can be taken out by a missiles... hell not even a missiles but automatic cannons that fires cheap ammunition. Submarines, aircraft carriers.

Damn man, everything is obsolete because can be taken out by a cheaper ammunition.

Oh no, even infantrymen is more expensive to be trained, equiped and provided a logistical support than a bullet from AK of some insurgent from some shit hole. We should resign from infantry because it is obsolete.

But wait, but then we should resign from military at all!

Now You see how stupid You are? :dude:

You are not supporting Your military, You are just parasite.
In a fight if you are fighting fair, you made a serious mistake in tactics, kind of like useing tanks in the 21st century.

Damian

In a fight if you are fighting fair, you made a serious mistake in tactics, kind of like useing tanks in the 21st century.
Oh screw You, war is a one thing and fight in hand to hand with such asshole like You is a different one. If You are such freightened to fight with other man on bare hands, then it only shows what coward and pussy You are. Now GTFO and stop trolling moron.

militarysta

can "moderator" do smth. In that topic? For exaple delte rubbish post and trolling?

average american

I expect if you did not realize I was right you would not be so hysterical, me thinkith you protest to much.

Damian

I expect if you did not realize I was right you would not be so hysterical, me thinkith you protest to much.
You are wrong in everything You say, everything. And hysterical? No I just have a plessure with bashing such idiots like You with mud. And I will protest against stupidity like Yours, always.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles