Super Sukhoi' Purchase Likely During Putin's India Visit

Blackwater

Our BureauViewed: 490 times
Thu, Sep 27, 2012 14:51 CET
Just months after India rejected Russia's aircraft pitch in the multi-billion dollar MMRCA program; the two countries are expected to sign a new deal for the supply of 40 Su-30MKI fighter aircraft, upgraded to the 'Super Sukhoi' configuration later this year.

An announcement could be made during Russian President Vladimir Putin's state visit to New Delhi in November, sources told defenseworld.net.

India is looking to procure 'Super Sukhois', the latest version of the aircraft which will have a new cockpit, state-of-the-art radar with stealth features besides being able to carry a heavier weapons load including the air-launched version of the Brahmos cruise missile.

With the latest order, India's fleet of Sukhoi's will reach a strength of 270 aircraft. With the MMRCA deal with winner Dassault still under negotiations, India plans to phase out 120 MiG 21s, making the Su-30MKIs the leading fighter aircraft for the IAF. The new 'super Sukhoi' deal is estimated to be worth $3.77 billion with the first delivery expected during 2014-15.

India is relying on the air superiority role of the Sukhoi-30MKI aircraft to take on a variety of threats in the region including Chinese and Pakistani ground-attack aircraft such as Pakistani F-16s and the Chinese J-10 jets.

It is increasing the deployment of Sukhois in forward bases. Recently, the Indian Air Force located a squadron of SU-30MKIs to a forward base near the India-Pakistan border to replace an earlier squadron of MiG-23 Jets.

India has first begun buying off-the-shelf Su-30s from Russia in 1997. But, in 2000, began developing Sukhoi Su-30MKIs at home after Hindustan Aeronautics Limited began production under license from Sukhoi Design Bureau. The Su-30MKI has considerable Indian components in it.
'Super Sukhoi' Purchase Likely During Putin's India Visit : Defense news

arya

Country flag
haa haa

well how much time they will take for this?

do you know worst in AC they are doing they are our best friend but they has to understand our condition .

why we spend more money on su30 while we can go for some other option like f35,f22,su35 etc .

mikhail

Country flag
mate su-30 mki is the most advanced fighter aircraft in the whole south asian region.our adversaries have no real answers to it!and we are also buying it in a huge quantity,so this super su-upgradation will really help us in the long term as you know that the first batch of su-30mki is nearly a decade old.hence this upgradation is needed to maintain our superiority over PAF and edge over PLAAF!:cool2:

sob

Mod
Country flag
The obvious advantage would be the commonality for the IAF. Lesser headache for IAF for spares and other matters, otherwise another aircraft will be added to inventory.
As it is we have Migs ( 4-5 Designs), Jaguar, Mirage, SU, Raffael coming soon. LCA/MCA and.......

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Super-30 will take MKI from so call 4.5++ gen which will be same as Rafale F3 we are going to receive...

arya

Country flag
mate su-30 mki is the most advanced fighter aircraft in the whole south asian region.our adversaries have no real answers to it!and we are also buying it in a huge quantity,so this super su-upgradation will really help us in the long term as you know that the first batch of su-30mki is nearly a decade old.hence this upgradation is needed to maintain our superiority over PAF and edge over PLAAF!:cool2:
dear tell me how you know that , till now su30 mki did not took any role in war..

do you china are making fighter planes like making car and we are still buying from others is not a serious thing

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Is this the reason why Putin has cancelled his Pakistan visit?

arya

Country flag

you dont have any role for this fighter, just complete air dominance.
i like su30 mki but i am worrying we are buying and china are making think brother what will happen at war time

i am su30 fan but thats not means i have closed eyes

sob

Mod
Country flag
I have a point with a few things e.g AESA and stealth. As far as I know USA is the only country to have extensive experience of over 2 decades using these technologies. Today we have people popping up claiming AESA, CHina Russia claiming stealth ready in 4-5 years.

How do these technologies compare head on head with the AMericans who have had better part of 2 decades to work and polish these technologies.
It is like Suzuki also makes a IC engine and Ferrari or BMW also makes one. They have similar characteristics and similar broad technology but in terms of performance are they on the same level? We have to factor these things before we jump and endorse such technologies.

this is my opinion and would appreciate comments on this.

arya

Country flag
I have a point with a few things e.g AESA and stealth. As far as I know USA is the only country to have extensive experience of over 2 decades using these technologies. Today we have people popping up claiming AESA, CHina Russia claiming stealth ready in 4-5 years.

How do these technologies compare head on head with the AMericans who have had better part of 2 decades to work and polish these technologies.
It is like Suzuki also makes a IC engine and Ferrari or BMW also makes one. They have similar characteristics and similar broad technology but in terms of performance are they on the same level? We have to factor these things before we jump and endorse such technologies.

this is my opinion and would appreciate comments on this.

well you are right brother but dont you think we should give more important to our lca we should induct them and improve then rather buy more su30 mki

su30mki till now not proved its importance in war

sob

Mod
Country flag
well you are right brother but dont you think we should give more important to our lca we should induct them and improve then rather buy more su30 mki

Importance must be given to LCA definitely there is no question about it. But faced with depleting force levels delay in LCA project, delay in MMRCA, there is no other option for the Government. SU 30 is proven for IAF, so there will be no delay in processing the files.

arya

Country flag
Importance must be given to LCA definitely there is no question about it. But faced with depleting force levels delay in LCA project, delay in MMRCA, there is no other option for the Government. SU 30 is proven for IAF, so there will be no delay in processing the files.

delay is reason for big money

delay in every thing and make money , every one is just delaying and making money

mikhail

Country flag
dear tell me how you know that , till now su30 mki did not took any role in war..

do you china are making fighter planes like making car and we are still buying from others is not a serious thing
mate please don't compare Flanker-H with all those chini junks!su-30mki is a true piece of marvel and there is no worthy competitor in this whole south asian region to challenge its might!and while its true that it hasn't taken part in any offensive yet but that doesn't make it junk as the mighty F-22 also hasn't seen any major offensive but its still the best aircraft in this world.and regarding the J-10s that the chinis have been mass producing quite a while now i can only say that quality and not quantity is what matters most in the battlefield!:taunt:

Patriot

Country flag

Tell me which of the Chinese manufactured A/C is battle proven? Just do not get panicked because China has the SU-30. F-22, Su-35, F-35, Su-30MKK none of them are battle proven.Not Being battle proven doesn't mean , it will not work.

Su-30 MKI is highly customized version for our need & it will keep evolving like now Super SU-30MKI. I addition, Su-30 MKI is one of the most fearsome AC at present & IAF's experience with this for last ten odd years will make it more lethal & effective during action. And this upgrade is just icing on the cake. Please note when it comes to making the AC effective in war the experience of the pilots with the AC matters [ Men use their tool better than Boys ;) ].

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
i like su30 mki but i am worrying we are buying and china are making think brother what will happen at war time
bro - most of us here should have no disagreement with you - that mfg our own is anyday superior to buying

but they are two separate issues and for the time being, given the immediate threats , the best we can do is to buy and insist on some TOT .

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

We do make MKI from raw material, in case we can always get more fighters flow in. Still having their is nothing better then make them here.
BTW future war wont be too long, at max it will last month.That time is not enough to make lot of fighters.
Off the topic in war i am more concern about other things like themal imagig, night vision and long range cruise missiles.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles