Sukhoi Su 30MKI

binayak95

Country flag
That's just a slow burn nuclear sphere (not a reactor) that heats up air and blows it in the rear.
Not sure any nuclear reactor has been miniaturized and made safe enough to be put on a manned-aircraft.
That said, not sure if it can rapidly charge a capacitor bank to be able to power the DEWs.
The science is there, but the engineering will take several more decades.
The US had a program for perpetually patrolling nuke powered bombers back in the early days of the Cold War, needless to say, scrapped pretty early.

Kinda crazy! but that was the cold war

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
True love that was high maintenance and now needs botox to remain relevant.
Rafale is still young - will do everything multiple times.

:) :) :)
And you need more time to understand and tame new girl.

Advaidhya Tiwari

Think out of the box. The Russians have already stuck a mini nuclear reactor in a cruise missile. Why can't we do the same in an aircraft? No more battery-kattery.
Think out of the box. The Russians have already stuck a mini nuclear reactor in a cruise missile. Why can't we do the same in an aircraft? No more battery-kattery.
Because high powered reactor requires water coolant which can be provided in ships and submarines but not in planes. We don't have arc reactor technology that can generate power in a cool manner

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Super Su-30MKI Has Taken Shape

All the essential enhancements reqd for transforming the existing Su-30MKI into the Super Su-30MKI are now ready for installation/systems integration on either existing Su-30MKIs or even new-build Su-30MKIs (about 80 of which are required).

Under development since 2009 by the DRDO-owned Defence Avionics Research establishment (DARE) and by the Russia-based JSC V Tikhomirov Scientific Research Institute of Instrument Design, the avionics enhancements will now have to undergo flight certification trials at the Russia-based State Federal Unitary Enterprise Gromov Flight Research Institute at Zhukovsky.

DARE has sinmce 2009 been developing various elements of the mission avionics suite, which include the following:

SAMTEL-HAL Display Systems has completed developing panoramic AMLCDs for installation on the tandem-seat cockpit.

JSC V Tikhomirov Scientific Research Institute of Instrument Design has already developed an X-band ASESA-MMR variant of the NO-11M Bars PESA-MMR that currently equips the Su-30MKI.

The X-band AESA-MMR will thus enable the Super Su-30MKI cockpit crew to perform interleaved operations concurrently.

The 101KS-V IRST sensor will be the same as that on the Su-56 MRCA.

The countermeasures dispensers will for the first time be able to launch chaff cartridges supplied by UK-based Chemring. Previously, only flare cartridges could be launched.

Also to be installed will be RAFAEL's BNET-AR SDR, which functions as both a communications radio, as well as an operational tactical data-link.

And finally, the propulsion system too will be enhanced, with the AL-31FP turbofans giving way to the AL-41F-1S from NPO Saturn.

In charge of overall systems integration will be the Russia-based FSUE State Scientific Research Institute of Aviation Systems, or GosNIIAS. Altogether, two flying prototypes will be subjected to about 200 hours of flight-tests, which if begun by this year-end, should be completed by late 2020.

The Super Su-30MKI airframe will also be flight-certified for flying terrain-hugging flight profiles (about 100 metres ASL), thanks to the terrain avoidance mode of operation of the AESA-MMR. Existing Su-30MKIs are not able to fly ultra low-level flight profiles since the NO-11M PESA-MMR does not have the terrain avoidance operating mode.

https://trishul-trident.blogspot.com/2018/08/super-su-30mki-has-taken-shape.html?m=1

Foff-Merceneries

Doesn't the Western entities come under CAATSA? British chaff, French SDR?? I would believe UTTAM would be ready by 2021 that leaves us with one less input from Ruskies

Sent from my Coolpad 3600I using Tapatalk

Craigs

Country flag
That's just a slow burn nuclear sphere (not a reactor) that heats up air and blows it in the rear.
Not sure any nuclear reactor has been miniaturized and made safe enough to be put on a manned-aircraft.
That said, not sure if it can rapidly charge a capacitor bank to be able to power the DEWs.
Should we continue to be fifth or sixth or try to be first. A miniature nuclear reactor was lost in Mt Nandadevi in early 1960s. So it can be done.

Enquirer

Should we continue to be fifth or sixth or try to be first. A miniature nuclear reactor was lost in Mt Nandadevi in early 1960s. So it can be done.
Firstly, it's not a 'nuclear reactor' that was lost in Nanda devi! It's just 'nuclear material' that naturally decays to produce some heat. The heat is linked to a thermocouple to generate some tiny amount of electricity.
Even a high school kid can put that gadget together (if he/she has access to some kind of nuclear material).
Nasa had used that a lot in early spacecrafts.

Secondly, it's not an issue if India will be 2nd, 3rd or 6th in about 30-40 years time. The issue is what the military needs now and in the next 10 years!
India should first try to cut the hundreds of billions sent to other countries in order to keep it's military fighting fit (even if it's with a generation old equipment).
So, turbofans etc should be a priority and not some fancy sci-fi stuff.

Last edited:

Craigs

Country flag
Nope if Russians were using a nuclear powered ramjet then it would have shown up on every NPT detector out there. The entire western world would have come very heavily on them, maybe even removed them from UNSC.

Craigs

Country flag
Firstly, it's not a 'nuclear reactor' that was lost in Nanda devi! It's just 'nuclear material' that naturally decays to produce some heat. The heat is linked to a thermocouple to generate some tiny amount of electricity.
Even a high school kid can put that gadget together (if he/she has access to some kind of nuclear material).
Nasa had used that a lot in early spacecrafts.

Secondly, it's not an issue if India will be 2nd, 3rd or 6th in about 30-40 years time. The issue is what the military needs now and in the next 10 years!
India should first try to cut the hundreds of billions sent to other countries in order to keep it's military fighting fit (even if it's with a generation old equipment).
So, turbofans etc should be a priority and not some fancy sci-fi stuff.
Nope, the 'nuclear device' that was left there was a variation of the SNAP generator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNAP-10A. They were trying to run 1960s era radar and surveillance equipment off it not some thermal jackets.

Enquirer

Nope, the 'nuclear device' that was left there was a variation of the SNAP generator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNAP-10A. They were trying to run 1960s era radar and surveillance equipment off it not some thermal jackets.
Dude! you just googled for some miniature reactor and assumed whatever you found on google is what's used in Nanda devi!

India's not so stupid to leave a 'fission reactor' (that could have a uncontrolled runaway reaction if coolant system etc would fail) in the upper reaches of the rivers, that could melt down the glaciers!

The 'nuclear device' just produces constant heat (without any fission reaction)

Also, that SNAP reactor was 'experimental'. What was successfully used in multiple missions in the 60s and 70s is the device that I described.

Craigs

Country flag
Dude! you just googled for some miniature reactor and assumed whatever you found on google is what's used in Nanda devi!

India's not so stupid to leave a 'fission reactor' (that could have a uncontrolled runaway reaction if coolant system etc would fail) in the upper reaches of the rivers, that could melt down the glaciers!

The 'nuclear device' just produces constant heat (without any fission reaction)

Also, that SNAP reactor was 'experimental'. What was successfully used in multiple missions in the 60s and 70s is the device that I described.
Please dude I am sure you were not there either so I have only published literature to go by: https://rockandice.com/climbing-epics/the-secret-of-nanda-devi/

Craigs

Country flag
You need to understand the difference between Science, Technology & Engineering.

I am tired of explaining basic stuff. As I said to someone else, you're free to live in your own fact-free world.
I don't think your basics are that strong to explain it to some one else.

Enquirer

Please dude I am sure you were not there either so I have only published literature to go by: https://rockandice.com/climbing-epics/the-secret-of-nanda-devi/
If only folks on this forum could learn to read before they write, the discussions would be so much more intelligent!

The RockAndIce article that you quote clearly identifies the device used as SNAP-19, which employs "thermoelectric couples for energy conversion" (just like I described earlier).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_for_Nuclear_Auxiliary_Power#SNAP-19

But you wanted to lie that it's a fission reactor (or by nature are slow in comprehension) and instead gave the link to SNAP-10A! (picked a random one from your google search results without reading in depth on the subject matter?)

Now any decent person at this time would admit their oversight and apologize for creating the confusion. But if you're in the same class of people as ersakthivel, then you'll resort to abusive language to cover up your folly.

Last edited:

Enquirer

I don't think your basics are that strong to explain it to some one else.
My skills are not that strong at writing fiction or BS!
I can explain facts, but it also requires a well tuned receiver to appreciate the intelligent signals!

Craigs

Country flag
If only folks on this forum could learn to read before they write, the discussions would be so much more intelligent!

The RockAndIce article that you quote clearly identifies the device used as SNAP-19, which employs "thermoelectric couples for energy conversion" (just like I described earlier).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_for_Nuclear_Auxiliary_Power#SNAP-19

But you wanted to lie that it's a fission reactor (or by nature are slow in comprehension) and instead gave the link to SNAP-10A! (picked a random one from your google search results without reading in depth on the subject matter?)

Now any decent person at this time would admit their oversight and apologize for creating the confusion. But if you're in the same class of people as ersakthivel, then you'll resort to abusive language to cover up your folly.
Look dude in my post I mentioned that it was a variation of a SNAP generator. I am not a nuclear physicist but I know this much - 60 years back the technology to miniaturize nuclear 'reactors' (a device that works on nuclear chain reaction) was already advanced enough to pack it into a back pack. More powerful variants were powering satellites (There is no abundant water in space). I would like to believe that mankind has made a lot of progress since then.

Craigs

Country flag
My skills are not that strong at writing fiction or BS!
I can explain facts, but it also requires a well tuned receiver to appreciate the intelligent signals!
Nope you can spout it but not explain it. There is a difference. Explanation assumes that the other party can make sense of it. IF not it is just a monologue.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles