Suitable Jaguar Replacement

Sea Eagle

Rustom-2 can be used for Jags replacements.. Even the american A-10 squadrans are converting to armed UAVs :clobber:

warriorextreme

Country flag
At present nothing seems to be done to strengthen the fast depleting air force squadrons...rate of induction of new squadrons is very less than rate of depletion...only country capable of providing extremely fast delivery of capable aircrafts is USA.

Sea Eagle

At present nothing seems to be done to strengthen the fast depleting air force squadrons...rate of induction of new squadrons is very less than rate of depletion...only country capable of providing extremely fast delivery of capable aircrafts is USA.
But they don't have a possible replacement. Neither can they give us B-1b. B-52s are just good for bombing mughs and so are A-10s and AC-130

jmj_overlord

maybe upgrades, like recently conducted on jaguars to prolong the life of the aircrafts is the most suitable way until a new aircraft is chosen......

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Re: IAF to buy 14 Tejas squadrons

But then Tejas was never meant to be a fighter bomber.
Its was meant to be an point Air Defense and interceptor aircraft for the IAF which it fulfills perfectly
the era of point defence is over with mig-21s,
tejas with 4 ton weapon load, close to 30 percent fuel fraction,
RSS fly by wire, fully precision strike enabled litening pod,
and nap of the earth flying capability with MMR,
fully integrated internal EW suit,120 Km range tracking radar and 100 plus Km BVR missiles,
Which can drop sudharshan , launch anti radiation missiles,and HMDS enabled deadly high offbore sigt WVR missiles like R-73 and PYTHON
is no point defence or interceptor,

The capabilites mentioned above are tailored for a multi role combat aircraft

if it is a point defence fighter ,

why does it have laser guided PGMs,
an MMR that can enable nap of the earth flying
and a refuelling pod
along with OBORG (in mk-2)?

Last edited:

Jagdish58

India should have flying tank like aircraft similar to Su-25 frogfoot or A-10A thunderbolt both are good at low speed attack & will fit into Cold start doctrine

they can take tremendous amount of punishment from SAM & AAM but still come back to base with single engine completing the mission

ashdoc

Country flag

Jaguar can bomb 1000 km away and RTB ..where Late Combat Aircraft bomb 500km and RTB ..!!!

and Jaguar is like a Heavy Truck ..where LCA is Tata Ape
jaguar does not have 1000 km combat radius . combat radius of jag is about 800 km with 2 external fuel tanks and 2000 kg of weaponry . and with full load ( 4000 kg ) of weapons and no external fuel tanks jag can manage only 500 km .

jaguar cannot even reach parts of pakistan on iranian border in baluchistan .

archie

Country flag

A) it's expensive to use missiles for all strikes
B) without real time targeting data, missiles will fail to hit anything that moves.
C) air crafts can exploit targets of oppurtunity
D) one aircraft sortie can achieve several mission objectives at a lower cost.
E) a pilot is in a better position to differentiate between friendlies than a weapons operator 1000 km away, even with UAV imagery (which is subject to satcom bandwidth limitations)

A) Risk of loosing a pilot +aircraft (add recovery of the pilot from behind enemy lines) should outweigh missile cost (if attacks are happening its war anyway)
B)With Global satellite recon availability and intel it should be easier for missiles. The response was for ground targets or formations for which bombers were used. I dont think we will be intrested in hitting a single tank 1000Km that Deep from battle lines
C) agreed based on value of target and risk being taken .. no one wants to loose valuable resources to take on low value targets
D) I hope A covers cost here
E) 1000KM deep inside not many friendlies... if there are then it should be Special ops mission

Sea Eagle

India should have flying tank like aircraft similar to Su-25 frogfoot or A-10A thunderbolt both are good at low speed attack & will fit into Cold start doctrine

they can take tremendous amount of punishment from SAM & AAM but still come back to base with single engine completing the mission
These aircrafts will be falling like leaves in an well networked Air Defense system.

Sea Eagle

the era of point defence is over with mig-21s,
tejas with 4 ton weapon load, close to 30 percent fuel fraction,
RSS fly by wire, fully precision strike enabled litening pod,
and nap of the earth flying capability with MMR,
fully integrated internal EW suit,120 Km range tracking radar and 100 plus Km BVR missiles,
Which can drop sudharshan , launch anti radiation missiles,and HMDS enabled deadly high offbore sigt WVR missiles like R-73 and PYTHON
is no point defence or interceptor,

The capabilites mentioned above are tailored for a multi role combat aircraft

if it is a point defence fighter ,

why does it have laser guided PGMs,
an MMR that can enable nap of the earth flying
and a refuelling pod
along with OBORG (in mk-2)?
Tejas is far from complete as of now :
1. No Gun
2. No BVR
3. No ARM and ASM (Correct me if i am wrong)
4. IFR probe
5. No Sudarshan LBG kit as of yet.But still its not important as it has Griffin LGB.

And the problem is all these have to be done by year end.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its meaningless to assume that anyone talking tejas in present config, We are all talking Tejas in final config ..

1. No Gun
2. No BVR
4. IFR probe
5. No Sudarshan LBG kit as of yet.But still its not important as it has Griffin LGB.

Sea Eagle

Its meaningless to assume that anyone talking tejas in present config, We are all talking Tejas in final config ..
Kunal sir.. What ASM and ARM will Tejas carry according to you, Will it be Sea Eagle and Kh-31P as Jaguar or something else..

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
1. No Gun
2. No BVR
4. IFR probe

After FOC everything you asked for will be there and mk-2 will also have IFR, if not mk-1,

It is an indian platform integrating any weapon can be done without hassles.

Does jag have any IFR? Will it be able to fire 100 plus Km range BVR missiles after upgradation?

Sea Eagle

After FOC everything you asked for will be there and mk-2 will also have IFR, if not mk-1,

It is an indian platform integrating any weapon can be done without hassles.

Does jag have any IFR? Will it be able to fire 100 plus Km range BVR missiles after upgradation?
But neither can Tejas fire upto 100 Kms. Derby's got a range of 50 Kms. And even Jaguar has been integrated with ASRAAM with a range of 50 Kms.
Now tell me this :
Can tejas carry Sudarshan LGB as of now ?
Can it carry ASM like sea Eagle as of now ?

mehrotraprince

Country flag
But neither can Tejas fire upto 100 Kms. Derby's got a range of 50 Kms. And even Jaguar has been integrated with ASRAAM with a range of 50 Kms.
Now tell me this :
Can tejas carry Sudarshan LGB as of now ?
Can it carry ASM like sea Eagle as of now ?
Tell me when will Jaguars retire? tomorrow? or today itself?

Yes tejas already have been tested with laser guided bombs, Sudarshan also falls in same catogery.

An aircraft don't need to carry every weapon available, it should only be qualified enough to carry different types of weapons like BVR(short & medium range), gravity bombs, laser bombs as well as different types of air to ground missiles.

Tell me can F-22 carry Brahmos as of now?
Can F-15 eagle carry R-73 or Python or Mica or Astra as of now?
Can f-16 carry sd-10 as of now?

Don't ask immature/childish questions which has been answered in LCA thread many times.

LCA Tejas as of now:
Short range air-air missiles: Yes
BVR: No
Gravity bombs: Yes
Laser guided bombs: Yes
other air-ground missiles: No

LCA Tejas after FOC:
BVR: Yes
Other air-ground missiles: Yes
Rockets: Yes
Medium weight air-ship missiles: Yes

So wait for LCA to get FOC, for your information Jaguars are going no where, they will retire after 2025 (probably around 2030).

Last edited:

jmj_overlord

So wait for LCA to get FOC, for your information Jaguars are going no where, they will retire after 2025 (probably around 2030).
that's why jaguar aircrafts were recently upgraded to prolong their life.........maybe in future amca or pak fa would replace them.....

Sea Eagle

Tell me when will Jaguars retire? tomorrow? or today itself?

Yes tejas already have been tested with laser guided bombs, Sudarshan also falls in same catogery.

An aircraft don't need to carry every weapon available, it should only be qualified enough to carry different types of weapons like BVR(short & medium range), gravity bombs, laser bombs as well as different types of air to ground missiles.

Tell me can F-22 carry Brahmos as of now?
Can F-15 eagle carry R-73 or Python or Mica or Astra as of now?
Can f-16 carry sd-10 as of now?

Don't ask immature/childish questions which has been answered in LCA thread many times.

LCA Tejas as of now:
Short range air-air missiles: Yes
BVR: No
Gravity bombs: Yes
Laser guided bombs: Yes
other air-ground missiles: No

LCA Tejas after FOC:
BVR: Yes
Other air-ground missiles: Yes
Rockets: Yes
Medium weight air-ship missiles: Yes

:ranger:
Can you please tell me viable options for AShM,ASM,ARMs and the time it would take for each ,such missiles to complete various trails.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles