Successful user trial of MSMC

VJ Jamie

My 2 cents:

Pardon me for this off topic question: Could anyone please tell me what song is running in the video and what language it is in? Thanks!
I don't know the name of the song but it is a MEETEI/Manipuri song.

I wonder how a Meetei guy could have an INSAS with him. UGs from Manipur have snatched/taken INSAS ARs from Para-Military forces in Manipur after ambushes/attacks on them. If the guy who posted did not took the VDO himself but got it from utube or other source and uploaded by some other people, the gun could be one of those taken form Indian Para-Military forces as it seems the place is Manipur. The house appears to be a Manipuri house with Chinese plastic carpets and the audio on the clip playing a Meetei/Manipuri song.

pmaitra

Thank you Sir.

Yes, I later learnt from a friend that it is a Manipuri song. The man in the video is an Indian Army Officer, who is a Manipuri.

BTW, thank you for the large fonts. If the font size were even one notch lower, I'd have failed to read it.

Welcome to DFI!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
MSMC specs >>

The only thing is changed in the above specs is the muzzle velocity, Which is increased ..

Immanuel

Country flag
Any news on this? Since trials were successful and complete, how come no major orders yet?

Twinblade

Country flag
Any news on this? Since trials were successful and complete, how come no major orders yet?
Some trials are left.

Bansal said OFB will also soon put up carbine machine guns developed jointly with Defence and Research Development Organization (DRDO) for trials. Earlier, there were plans to develop the weapon with Singapore-based ST Kinetics, but the project could not take off following a commission scandal.
Army places part orders for Indian Bofors - The Times of India

ARDE has called tenders for various MSMC parts in July.

AshutoshNSingh

Regarding air force pilots, Indeed ..

Helicopter Pilots often carry AK or Carbine, MSMC would be better, MSMC would also replace AK in most CQB areas ..
I think AAC pilots carry Micro Uzi.
MSMC will mainly be the weapon of officers & rocket launcher crew.

AshutoshNSingh

Its overall weight shd be reduced & rate of fire increased to make it compete with World class PDWs like MP7.

hitesh

MSMC with 9mm verson would have bin an instant hit given that you don't have to set up separate production line for bullet , they could make it multi caliber would be icing cake

Immanuel

Country flag
I think they should instead have the MSMC in .45 caliber round, would be the heavy hitter, ideal weapon for NSG and other QRT units, small mods would also be nice i.e a simple straight magwell + magazine instead of slight curve, easier for reload and a 30 round .45 cal mag would allow this weapon to be the ideal PDW for all kinds of units including infantry. .45 has better knock out power.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No, AAC pilots carry AK or 9mm, MSMC will be replacing 9mm carbine under use by Army not only Officers but as well as JCO, Drivers etc ..

I think AAC pilots carry Micro Uzi.
MSMC will mainly be the weapon of officers & rocket launcher crew.
=================

Excess than 600rpm is wastage, MSMC is design to meet Armed forces requirement which is made by Armed forces, It is not design for civilian market or another army ..

rate of fire increased to make it compete with World class PDWs like MP7.
=================

If they put an requirement than there will be following versions ..

MSMC with 9mm verson would have bin an instant hit given that you don't have to set up separate production line for bullet , they could make it multi caliber would be icing cake
I think they should instead have the MSMC in .45 caliber round, would be the heavy hitter, ideal weapon for NSG and other QRT units, small mods would also be nice i.e a simple straight magwell + magazine instead of slight curve, easier for reload and a 30 round .45 cal mag would allow this weapon to be the ideal PDW for all kinds of units including infantry. .45 has better knock out power.

hitesh

BSF bought Beretta Mx4 Storm 9mm carbine If there would have bin a 9mm version of MSMC available then they would have little excuse going for another carbine .I don't understand the logic of first trying to make a carbine with standard 5.56 then after failing with the gun, cutting short the bullet to get a MSMC .

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
BSF bought Beretta Mx4 Storm 9mm carbine If there would have bin a 9mm version of MSMC available then they would have little excuse going for another carbine .I don't understand the logic of first trying to make a carbine with standard 5.56 then after failing with the gun, cutting short the bullet to get a MSMC .

about BSF's order for 9mm carbine and as evident from various pictures of its wholesale use by BSF, one thing makes me wonder that shouldn't BSF be using more of ARs than Carbines? Afterall, firing across border generally requires more rnge than any 9mm would give. Just wondering, what was the rush for BSF to buy so many carbines in a single lot, when their need should updating the ARs.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Saurav Jha: Dr Chander, what about small arms?

Avinash Chander: We have developed a joint venture protective carbine, which we have offered to the Army for evaluation trials. We have also developed a corner-shot rifle, which is also available for trials. Beyond that we aren't taking up that many small arms projects. OFB of course is doing some other things. But today I feel this is an area where domestic industry can play a major role, because industry has the full capability to do this class of systems. We should see how we can involve industry in this area.
Saurav Jha's Blog : Interview with the Chief of DRDO, Avinash Chander -Part II

From his tone, it sounds like small arms isnt even that important, didnt even mention multi cal rifle.

Saurav Jha: Indeed, in the United States there is a veritable cottage industry based around AR-15 derivatives...

Avinash Chander: Exactly, there's nothing in these systems which cannot be done by any good engineering industry. So I think we need a policy relook which gets private industry into small arms. They can use their own technologies, some joint ventures, some DRDO based products and then they will prove themselves over time. I think we have done good products in this sphere but have not been able to market it effectively. And if people here don't want it, we can always give it to a private player who can look for export avenues.
Wouldnt mind tying up with private firms.

Last edited:

PaliwalWarrior

From his tone, it sounds like small arms isnt even that important, didnt even mention multi cal rifle.

exactly

how much does carbines & Ar orders costs ?

bullets are anyways made here in india

let the private industry step in at the lower end, develop some products get some business and let them step up gradually

DRDO should focus on highvalue, investment intensive technology & products development

ninja85

Its overall weight shd be reduced & rate of fire increased to make it compete with World class PDWs like MP7.
its made for tank crew and they wanted a sub machine gun not like uzi but with characteristics of rifle like fire power,range which is not easy to carry and use for tank crew.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
DRDO was never asked to venture into small arms. It was always OFB's domain.

During INSAS, they were asked to give design inputs only by OFB, which they gave.

Only recently have DRDO been asked to develop small arms, and they gave us MSMC & MCIWS.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
exactly

how much does carbines & Ar orders costs ?

bullets are anyways made here in india

let the private industry step in at the lower end, develop some products get some business and let them step up gradually

DRDO should focus on highvalue, investment intensive technology & products development

During INSAS, they were asked to give design inputs only by OFB, which they gave.

Only recently have DRDO been asked to develop small arms, and they gave us MSMC & MCIWS.

There is private involvement already. The guy who made this video -

Indian Multi Caliber Individual Weapon System (MCIWS) Prototype | Tune.pk

said in another forum that ALPHA DESIGN TECHNOLOGIES PVT. LTD. from Bangalore engineered the Multi Calbier Rifle in trials.

http://www.adtl.co.in/profile.html

pmaitra

I believe it was ARDE, which is one of the many establishments that come under the broad umbrella called DRDO.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles