Strategic Command to acquire 40 nuclear capable fighters

whiplash

TU-22M3 were in IN once, but soon returned as their maintenance and flying cost were proved to be higher than expected, Many in IN argue that TU-142 have more range than TU-22M3 hence its requirement was not in need any longer for anti-ship strikes..
Link me if possible. Thanks.

The main reason IN bought TU-22M3 was for Long range anti-ship trike with mounted SUNBURN supersonic missiles..
India operated sunburns? What do we do with them now? Considering Tu 142s don't carry weapons other than turret mounts

Country flag
The B52s you've seen in museums are very different from the one's USA uses today. Just the airframe is the same. No small planes can carry the ALCMs I mentioned. And you can't always rely on navy to deliver cruise missiles. AC 130, contrary to what you think has very limited use. And is easily replacable with CAS planes like A10 or in certain scenarios, helicopter gunships. But hardly any planes can carry as much ordinance as the B52, deliver cruise missiles and loiter for long periods like the B52. I agree we don't need the B52. But it is far from obsolete
C-130 can carry more ordinance than B52 but it is limited in other aspects.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
The B52s you've seen in museums are very different from the one's USA uses today. Just the airframe is the same. No small planes can carry the ALCMs I mentioned. And you can't always rely on navy to deliver cruise missiles. AC 130, contrary to what you think has very limited use. And is easily replacable with CAS planes like A10 or in certain scenarios, helicopter gunships. But hardly any planes can carry as much ordinance as the B52, deliver cruise missiles and loiter for long periods like the B52. I agree we don't need the B52. But it is far from obsolete
Thats what I said that exceptions are everywhere. You may find them operational with US, still for many years. Can`t speak about their upgrades(they can do anything, lolz).
Next year or maybe from this year, our Su-30`s will be ready to carry Brahmos then what will you say as one Su-30 can make numerous B-52 downed(if compared)and can also launch currently one of the worlds best cruise missiles,Brahmos.

I`m not trying to compare it with B-52 but just giving you an example that the capability of B-52 ,you are talking about is not such that it can still considered as a best choice among bombers and that too strategic bombers.

And if B-52 is still such a capable plane, superior to others then why dont it s exported today on a large scale to the other air forces of the world? I know that you are not able to forge the glory of B-52 and if speaking truly, I also respect that machine as you do but we have to understand its role and also that now the time has come to give a farewell to that superb heroic machine.

Last edited:

whiplash

Thats what I said that exceptions are everywhere. You may find them operational with US, still for many years. Can`t speak about their upgrades(they can do anything, lolz).
Next year or maybe from this year, our Su-30`s will be ready to carry Brahmos then what will you say as one Su-30 can make numerous B-52 downed(if compared)and can also launch currently one of the worlds best cruise missiles,Brahmos.
The brahmos is much lighter than the ALCMs i mentioned. Show me an Su30 carrying a 2000km range ALCM and I shall agree with you.

I`m not trying to compare it with B-52 but just giving you an example that the capability of B-52 ,you are talking about is not such that it can still considered as a best choice among bombers and that too strategic bombers.
I know it is quite old. And certainly not the best. I'm just saying it ain't obsolete.
And if B-52 is still such a capable plane, superior to others then why dont it s exported today on a large scale to the other air forces of the world? I know that you are not able to forge the glory of B-52 and if speaking truly, I also respect that machine as you do but we have to understand its role and also that now the time has come to give a farewell to that superb hero machine.
The USA does not export any long range heavy bombers. Check your facts. Has the B1 or B2 been exported? And I believe the USAF is going to operate the B52 well into the 2040s. Coz there's no real replacement to the sheer range and payload of this machine. I agree it can be shot down. But there are ways to fight from outside the hotzone.

plugwater

We are not going to carpet bomb anyone. So forget about B-52 or any other strategic bombers.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Just be done with MKIs for Nuke delivery.

Nirbhay 1000Km will provide extraordinary capability to MKIs in coming years....

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
The brahmos is much lighter than the ALCMs i mentioned. Show me an Su30 carrying a 2000km range ALCM and I shall agree with you.

I know it is quite old. And certainly not the best. I'm just saying it ain't obsolete.

The USA does not export any long range heavy bombers. Check your facts. Has the B1 or B2 been exported? And I believe the USAF is going to operate the B52 well into the 2040s. Coz there's no real replacement to the sheer range and payload of this machine. I agree it can be shot down. But there are ways to fight from outside the hotzone.
B1 or B2? huh.
USAF wasnt able to maintain B2 for itself due to its huge maintenance cost and currently operates about 19-20 in service, what sale will it make with an aircraft of unit cost 1 billion to other nation.

And for Su-30, I just gave an example. I already mentioned that i`m not comparing them. I just wanted to say that having a cruise missile launch platform with such a heavy bomber is not something to be given so much hype. If US operates B-52 then there must have been some reasons for them that no one knows.
As far as Spirits are concerned then according to me they were not able to meet expectations of USAF and are being planned to be replaced by F-35 Lightning-II.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Since we are this topic what refuellers would be used with these bombers??
I would go with Europeans. They are better & can also carry cargo if am not wrong. But FM hates the price tag...

Although tender is yet to be completed.

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
There is also collaboration with LM on an indigenous one.
Never heard about it before.

But when such a long queue of fighters to be in production, we definitely need more than 12.

Country flag
Oh.. I thought about refueller aircraft. :p

Retractable won't be good for such 40 odd fighters. It may involve maintenance trouble in hour of need...
Refueller aircraft has been an issue for a long time, maybe if we go for an European plane in MRCA, airbus can throw something in??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Link me if possible. Thanks.
India operated sunburns? What do we do with them now? Considering Tu 142s don't carry weapons other than turret mounts
Their are no links for what i said, its the words of an Retired IN top brass ( Vayu magazine, 2010 June Edition )

India have sunburns but its Status is unknown , IN purchased Sunburns when INS Delhi was being constructed, But later it was decided KH-35 will be the main anti-ship missile of Delhi class, Later it was told that IN is purchasing TU-22M3 for long range anti-ship strikes as we all know TU-22M3 long range Anti-ship missile is SUNBURN not URAN..

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Refueller aircraft has been an issue for a long time, maybe if we go for an European plane in MRCA, airbus can throw something in??
In that case it'll have to be EFT, which I personally doubt.

Regardless of that, I don't understand that they are almost comfortable for 4 Billion USD C17 (10) transport aircraft deal but not ready to spend some more above 2 Billion USDs for 6 refueler A330s which can also be converted for Transport role....

Country flag
In that case it'll have to be EFT, which I personally doubt.

Regardless of that, I don't understand that they are almost comfortable for 4 Billion USD C17 (10) transport aircraft deal but not ready to spend some more above 2 Billion USDs for 6 refueler A330s which can also be converted for Transport role....
I agree refuellers were a bigger priority especially with increasing plane inventory but some in the govt decided on transport planes??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles